• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sinema doubles down on filibuster support, dealing likely fatal blow to Dems' election bills

The minimum wage, anti-discrimination laws, mine safety rules, black lung benefits, unemployment insurance, anti-trust laws, pesticide regulations, food labeling, Medicare and SS, the ACA, equal pay for equal work all “hurt” business by limiting their freedom in some way. Liberals through our misguided compassion have been doing this for at least 100 years. When my mom worked in a dress factory back then, she was required to take sewing work with her to do at home. An old steelworker I worked with in 1965 told me of 12-hour days years before with a sign that said “if you don’t show up Sunday, don’t show Monday. That changed due to liberal compassion and sense of justice. What would you change back?
OMG, are you really this civics challenged? Biden didn't raise the minimum wage as those are state and local responsibilities. It is truly a waste of time arguing with people who are so educationally challenged living in the past ignoring how radicalized today's Democratic Party has become. This is 2022, Biden made promises from his basement which have now led to the approval ratings in some cases in the 30% range becoming the first President in history to be a lame duck President in his first year in office. Stunning how hatred generated this kind of incompetence thrust on the American people

This is from the Constitution:

Amendment XV​

Section 1.​

The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.

Section 2.​

The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.
Right so if mail in ballots are banned for all people they don’t violate this provision

Mark this post and see what happens and how they feel after the Red Wave this November?
They will go back to supporting and defending the filibuster and they will act as if they supported it all along.

The minimum wage, anti-discrimination laws, mine safety rules, black lung benefits, unemployment insurance, anti-trust laws, pesticide regulations, food labeling, Medicare and SS, the ACA, equal pay for equal work all “hurt” business by limiting their freedom in some way. Liberals through our misguided compassion have been doing this for at least 100 years. When my mom worked in a dress factory back then, she was required to take sewing work with her to do at home. An old steelworker I worked with in 1965 told me of 12-hour days years before with a sign that said “if you don’t show up Sunday, don’t show Monday. That changed due to liberal compassion and sense of justice. What would you change back?
Well I mean if we had an established church with rule making authority we could’ve banned working on Sunday and I think broadly we should ban servile labor on Sunday anyway.

Truly interesting how a guy you helped put into the WH with a 58% approval rating has it down below 40% on the economy and hasn't accomplished anything promised during the campaign and still you support him. Says a lot about cult followers. What exactly has Biden done to make lives of Americans better? Covid? NO, Border? NO Uniting people NO Economic policies successes NO. shows what liberal hatred generates, incompetence and failures.
OMG, are you really this civics challenged? Biden didn't raise the minimum wage as those are state and local responsibilities. It is truly a waste of time arguing with people who are so educationally challenged living in the past ignoring how radicalized today's Democratic Party has become. This is 2022, Biden made promises from his basement which have now led to the approval ratings in some cases in the 30% range becoming the first President in history to be a lame duck President in his first year in office. Stunning how hatred generated this kind of incompetence thrust on the American people
Sorry, I thought the issue was liberal policies, good or bad, not Biden's policies. You said that "what the left wants hurts businesses and thus impacts individual lives." My response was to list liberal/left changes and argued that the changes created were good, helping individual lives despite limits placed on businesses for the last several generations. Am I missing something? And there is a (very low) federal minimum wage. Two states (Wyoming and Georgia have a min wage below the federal one, and five states don't have one.

Have seen you post any and if you have problems with my data take it up with bls.gov, bea.gov, treasury.gov
Not your data. Your interpretation of it.
Truly interesting how a guy you helped put into the WH with a 58% approval rating has it down below 40% on the economy and hasn't accomplished anything promised during the campaign and still you support him. Says a lot about cult followers. What exactly has Biden done to make lives of Americans better? Covid? NO, Border? NO Uniting people NO Economic policies successes NO. shows what liberal hatred generates, incompetence and failures.
you might have a point absent republican stonewalling everything, all the time.

Sorry, I thought the issue was liberal policies, good or bad, not Biden's policies. You said that "what the left wants hurts businesses and thus impacts individual lives." My response was to list liberal/left changes and argued that the changes created were good, helping individual lives despite limits placed on businesses for the last several generations. Am I missing something? And there is a (very low) federal minimum wage. Two states (Wyoming and Georgia have a min wage below the federal one, and five states don't have one.
I told you some time ago that I was a JFK Democrat and have voted for more Democrats than Republicans throughout my voting life but that party left me. You and far too many continue to buy the rhetoric and ignore the results being generated and how radicalized today's Democrat Party has become. You need to stop living in the past and recognize what the Democrat Party has become

Not your data. Your interpretation of it.
LOL, I keep hearing that from liberals like you but you never interpret it property. You going to tell us how Biden's economic policies have bypassed the blue states and only got to the red states?
you might have a point absent republican stonewalling everything, all the time.
Republicans? Blind loyalty is what you have ignoring taht Sinema and Manchin represent there states and won't walk in lock step with the radical Democrat Party on their power grab.

LOL, I keep hearing that from liberals like you but you never interpret it property. You going to tell us how Biden's economic policies have bypassed the blue states and only got to the red states?

Republicans? Blind loyalty is what you have ignoring taht Sinema and Manchin represent there states and won't walk in lock step with the radical Democrat Party on their power grab.

And what happens to Republicans who won't walk in lock step with the trumpkins

I told you some time ago that I was a JFK Democrat and have voted for more Democrats than Republicans throughout my voting life but that party left me. You and far too many continue to buy the rhetoric and ignore the results being generated and how radicalized today's Democrat Party has become. You need to stop living in the past and recognize what the Democrat Party has become
I suppose I could counter with what the GOP has become, a party that introduced scores of measures in dozens of states to limit voting, openly admitting that they lose when lots of people vote. But puleeze, it seems that republicans who deplored what Trump said and did regarding racial issues, for example, cannot find the courage to challenge him and his election fraud fantasies, and sink into extremism themselves. My hope is that as civil cases progress and criminal charges emerge against Trump, the party will be able to distance itself from him, and perform the useful conservative task of being brakes on the crazier ideas that come from the left.

I suppose I could counter with what the GOP has become, a party that introduced scores of measures in dozens of states to limit voting, openly admitting that they lose when lots of people vote. But puleeze, it seems that republicans who deplored what Trump said and did regarding racial issues, for example, cannot find the courage to challenge him and his election fraud fantasies, and sink into extremism themselves. My hope is that as civil cases progress and criminal charges emerge against Trump, the party will be able to distance itself from him, and perform the useful conservative task of being brakes on the crazier ideas that come from the left.
Wow, liberal propaganda on display. States control elections, take a civics class. Such hatred and ignorance. That gave us Biden who is now the only President in history that is lame duck after his first year.

Biden is in office, better spend more time checking out his results at non partisan sites not MSNBC

Not going to waste any time discussing Trump as he has been out of office for a year now and still your TDS is on display as is your ignorance of his actual results from policies not the pandemic. Biden came into office with a lot of promise and results that have led to the polling numbers we are seeing. What promise has he kept? what has he done to make life better for the American people? Has he stopped Covid? You better start thinking instead of feeling

Wow, liberal propaganda on display. States control elections, take a civics class. Such hatred and ignorance. That gave us Biden who is now the only President in history that is lame duck after his first year.

Biden is in office, better spend more time checking out his results at non partisan sites not MSNBC

Not going to waste any time discussing Trump as he has been out of office for a year now and still your TDS is on display as is your ignorance of his actual results from policies not the pandemic. Biden came into office with a lot of promise and results that have led to the polling numbers we are seeing. What promise has he kept? what has he done to make life better for the American people? Has he stopped Covid? You better start thinking instead of feeling
It is not me nor democrats who are still arguing over the last election. And yes, states control elections, and that’s why it’s awful that they are making it hard to vote. That will be Trump’s enduring legacy, that his BS about rigged elections has the majority of republicans believing him, and not minding the anti democratic measures their leaders are putting in place.

It is not me nor democrats who are still arguing over the last election. And yes, states control elections, and that’s why it’s awful that they are making it hard to vote. That will be Trump’s enduring legacy, that his BS about rigged elections has the majority of republicans believing him, and not minding the anti democratic measures their leaders are putting in place.
The counter to this is for people in states where this is happening to organize and help those who might be impacted to ensure they can vote. If there are communities who have problems getting IDs, then groups should help them so they can get them. I know if this were happening in my community that's exactly what I would be doing.

I have 17 days of early voting, Election days, and official absentee ballots if needed, how is that hard to vote. States making it hard to vote? Change the state legislature if that is your issue. It was a rigged election, Covid was weaponized and so sorry that you are incapable of seeing that how easy it is to manipulate no excuse mail in ballots. Nothing changes the mind of a political ideologue and obviously nothing will ever get you or anyone on the left to admit they are wrong. So many are so civics challenged it is scary as they buy the liberal rhetoric, ignore the liberal results.

I have 17 days of early voting, Election days, and official absentee ballots if needed, how is that hard to vote. States making it hard to vote? Change the state legislature if that is your issue. It was a rigged election, Covid was weaponized and so sorry that you are incapable of seeing that how easy it is to manipulate no excuse mail in ballots. Nothing changes the mind of a political ideologue and obviously nothing will ever get you or anyone on the left to admit they are wrong. So many are so civics challenged it is scary as they buy the liberal rhetoric, ignore the liberal results.

Well the real danger is after the voting is over. Are we going to allow Republican state legislatures to count the votes?

This is a great satire describing "your" President that gives me the opportunity to say "see I told you so" with the results. Amazing how you buy all the anti GOP rhetoric but ignore the rhetoric from your own party and the resume from your own candidates.

Right so if mail in ballots are banned for all people they don’t violate this provision
Not necessarily. In one Southern state they used to have a requirement that any person who wanted to register to vote had to have the application signed by an existing registered voter. Fair, right, since it applies to everyone? Not exactly, since there wasn't a black registered voter within 100 miles and white registered voters weren't going to since the form for black applicants.

Regarding mail in ballots, when polls in black areas have 5-8 hour waits, while white areas have only 20 minutes, it could be thought that banning mail-in-ballots is discriminatory.

But the larger issue is that mail-in-ballots increase voter participation and are secure, confidential, and trustworthy. So why do you not want increased voter participation? The only answer is that when more people vote, your side loses -- and we can't have that, can we.

This is a great satire describing "your" President that gives me the opportunity to say "see I told you so" with the results. Amazing how you buy all the anti GOP rhetoric but ignore the rhetoric from your own party and the resume from your own candidates.

"Patriot Retort" is you source? Psst: it aint Joe who's the asshole.

Not necessarily. In one Southern state they used to have a requirement that any person who wanted to register to vote had to have the application signed by an existing registered voter. Fair, right, since it applies to everyone? Not exactly, since there wasn't a black registered voter within 100 miles and white registered voters weren't going to since the form for black applicants.

Regarding mail in ballots, when polls in black areas have 5-8 hour waits, while white areas have only 20 minutes, it could be thought that banning mail-in-ballots is discriminatory.

But the larger issue is that mail-in-ballots increase voter participation and are secure, confidential, and trustworthy. So why do you not want increased voter participation? The only answer is that when more people vote, your side loses -- and we can't have that, can we.
Interesting how federal responsibility exists only on issues that promote your narrative but not the Constitution. The states control the elections, the problem with the now excuse mail in ballots continues to be execution and legislative responsibility. If the legislature approved the ballots and has a procedure in place to assure integrity of those ballots they are legal. Federal control of the election process only seems to matter when Democrats control the Congress and the WH then are in fear of losing their power.

What really is interesting is how people like you always go to the federal gov't and courts when you don't get your way or what you want. States have term limits therefore states are under the control of the citizens who have the ability to change leadership. Sell your partisan bs to the citizens of the state to get the laws enacted that you want. Stop seeking federal or court help on your biased partisan power grab. The Constitution is quite clear on voting control and responsibility but then again the Constitution isn't relevant to civics challenged individuals.

It has been a year since Biden took office, waiting for the list of accomplishments that he has created to make things better for the American people and campaign promises kept? Seems he is taking credit for strong economic numbers but I have checked and checked but cannot find the policies he implemented to create those numbers but do wonder if those policies where implemented why they bypassed the large blue states of California, Nevada, NY, and NJ since those states don't have the numbers Biden is touting thus has benefited from those evil red states.

you see, results matter but you buy rhetoric but the rhetoric alone hasn't seemed to generate the results to move the needle positively on the poll numbers

It has been a year since Biden took office, waiting for the list of accomplishments that he has created to make things better for the American people and campaign promises kept? Seems he is taking credit for strong economic numbers but I have checked and checked but cannot find the policies he implemented to create those numbers but do wonder if those policies where implemented why they bypassed the large blue states of California, Nevada, NY, and NJ since those states don't have the numbers Biden is touting thus has benefited from those evil red states.

you see, results matter but you buy rhetoric but the rhetoric alone hasn't seemed to generate the results to move the needle positively on the poll numbers
First of all, I have never believed that presidents, who will naturally take credit or get blamed for short economic ups and downs, can significantly affect the economy in any short period of time. Obama got credit for an economic recovery that it seems was beginning in the last Bush year. Trump took credit for skating on that economy as well. Recently job numbers have been up, I believe, but I assume that plus inflation come from people emerging from pandemic isolation plus a labor shortage, among other factors, not anything Biden has done or failed to do. Presidents CAN set the stage for longer term growth.

More importantly, Biden has been a success in undoing a lot of the harmful things Trump put in place.

Naturally, whether your are pleased or upset at these changes depends on your politics. My professional area of expertise was 20 plus years working with refugees and asylum-seekers, primarily the latte, so I am happy that Biden undid Trump policies that were pretty awful, and violated US law and treaty obligations, as well as precedent going back to 1980. But some Trump supporters would counter that Biden has opened the border. False, but a nice sound bite.

Example: each year the US, world leader in advocacy for refugees for decades, will bring to our country several thousand refugees, who are subject to a process of vetting for security and health reasons that can take a year or more, tougher screening than (I believe) any immigrants of any kind face. Trump lied and said there was little vetting, and proposed admitting the lowest number in the history of the program. Biden will announce a change in those numbers in a month or two. Now if you are proud of our record that extends back to the end of the Vietnam war, you might be pleased with that. If you are opposed to immigration a la Tucker Carlson, you won't be.

Kyrsten Lea Sinema made her position very clear. The Democrat's voting rights bills are dead along with all the rest of Biden's agenda.

Republicans are free to rig elections in the future. This is the death knell of the democratic party and really democracy in America. Once again the rich and powerful rule. Soon only white men of property will be allowed to vote.

As opposed to the last election rigged by Democrats, what with "election day" extended to "election week" despite the law and such. So much for party favors and "elections have consequences," eh? ❓

First of all, I have never believed that presidents, who will naturally take credit or get blamed for short economic ups and downs, can significantly affect the economy in any short period of time. Obama got credit for an economic recovery that it seems was beginning in the last Bush year. Trump took credit for skating on that economy as well. Recently job numbers have been up, I believe, but I assume that plus inflation come from people emerging from pandemic isolation plus a labor shortage, among other factors, not anything Biden has done or failed to do. Presidents CAN set the stage for longer term growth.
But you had no problem blaming Trump for Covid results, pandemic results and no problem voting for a D because of rhetoric. What metrics would ever change your mind about Democrats?
More importantly, Biden has been a success in undoing a lot of the harmful things Trump put in place.

Naturally, whether your are pleased or upset at these changes depends on your politics. My professional area of expertise was 20 plus years working with refugees and asylum-seekers, primarily the latte, so I am happy that Biden undid Trump policies that were pretty awful, and violated US law and treaty obligations, as well as precedent going back to 1980. But some Trump supporters would counter that Biden has opened the border. False, but a nice sound bite.

Example: each year the US, world leader in advocacy for refugees for decades, will bring to our country several thousand refugees, who are subject to a process of vetting for security and health reasons that can take a year or more, tougher screening than (I believe) any immigrants of any kind face. Trump lied and said there was little vetting, and proposed admitting the lowest number in the history of the program. Biden will announce a change in those numbers in a month or two. Now if you are proud of our record that extends back to the end of the Vietnam war, you might be pleased with that. If you are opposed to immigration a la Tucker Carlson, you won't be.
Do you understand that we have borders as well as procedures in place for immigration? All those so called executive orders generated what kind of positive results? You continue to show that rhetoric trumps reality and results. Keep living in the past and keep ignoring the present as you are now in a small minority that still support this now lame duck President. Seems that bad policies that Biden reversed are only bad in the mind of a liberal as the results haven't generated the promised results.

Back
Top Bottom