• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should Voting be Mandatory

Shouold voting be mandatory?

• Yes, Voting should be mandatory.

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • No, voting shoudl not be mandatory.

Votes: 57 91.9%
  • I have no opinion on the subject.

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
In some countries it is mandatory to vote during elections in other countries this is not the case.

My believe is that it should be mandatory to vote. While voting, you will have the option that you do not want to vote, but at least you have taken the effort. After all there may simply not be a party you would consider worth your support. This way the turnout will obviously be much higher, and, more importantly, the actual votes collected also better represent what the general consensus is of the people in the country.

The choices are

- Yes, voting should be mandatory.
- No, voting should not be mandatory.
- I have no opinion on the subject.

An obvious question for the DebateForum moderators/administrator is of course whether it is possible or not to make voting for polls mandatory as well. Could this be done by sending all members an email to which they need to respond?

All my polls will be hidden from the public in order to avoid a biased response. If people want their opinion to be public they have the choice to announce this with a reply in the thread.

Joey

One happy part of the political process is that idiots tend to vote less than well informed people, although unfortunate a large number of idiots still vote. Now we want to force all the idiots to vote? We want to force people who don't know who the vice president is, or don't know who their Senators are, or don't know how the three branches of federal government work to vote?

Actually, the recent stuff has countered voter apathy. The efforts to discourage voting by making it less convenient that were targeted toward a specific group, ended up motivating them. I'm just shocked at the gall of the GOP for trying it, especially in consideration of the history of terrorism blacks have endured over voting rights in the past. I'm just waiting for someone in the know and with credentials to publicly apologize instead of saying "you're a idiot," "its all in your head," "stop being paranoid," etc.

No different than democrats registering thousands of fake people to try and win. Or black panthers patrolling voting booths, or calling anyone racist for openly opposing someone who happens to be black. Plenty of criticism to go around. This is what happens when one group constantly plays race politics. They cause other people to join in.

Absolutely not. Three reasons...

1) Part of living in a free society includes the freedom to NOT do something if you choose to not do it.

2) I don't want an uninformed person to influence the outcome. If you research and care and still disagree with me, that's fine, but people don't vote now because they don't care and if they don't care they won't educate themselves.

3) Loosely tied to #2, lack of voting already does represent the consensus, and the consensus is that they don't care and are fine with blindly letting others make decisions for them.

You and I seem to be mostly on the same page and in the distinct minority on this. I do NOT want voter registration to be made easier. I want people to take voting so seriously that they will get themselves down to city hall to register like they once did, provide proper identification and proof of residency like they once did. I want people to deliberately and intentionally register to vote like they once did. I want them to do this because they feel a sense of responsibility and appreciate the privilege of living in a free country where the people choose who they want to lead them. They choose and do not act out of knee jerk reaction to somebody else's suggestion or order or bribe.

And on election day I want those who know what they are voting for to get themselves to the poll to vote like they once did. I don't want people voting who don't know who the candidates are, what they stand for, or what the differences are.

Mandatory? No way. Those who vote should educate themselves and make the effort to exercise their civic responsibility. Those unwilling to do that should not vote.

No different than democrats registering thousands of fake people to try and win. Or black panthers patrolling voting booths, or calling anyone racist for openly opposing someone who happens to be black. Plenty of criticism to go around. This is what happens when one group constantly plays race politics. They cause other people to join in.

I think the activities you describe should be criminally prosecuted but there's a gigantic difference. Inexcusable behavior by groups everybody knows are goons and behavior by a highly respected major American political party, it's officers and elected officials. Seriously, do you think the Republican Party; state chairmen, legislators and governors are the white guy equivalent of the black panthers? Not even the black panthers, the new black patters who are literally a bunch of I don't know what to call them. If these actions had been perpetrated by some skinhead group I fully agree with you. You're basically saying the Republican Party of the United States, who have the constitutional power to enact the laws of state governments is the conservative counterpart to the new black panthers.

Where do you get this stuff from and please link it!

True, they haven't registered thousands. They've registered maybe a few dozen under names like Donald Duck, etc. that were instantly thrown out by the supervisors of elections office. This is when people were being paid per voter to register them to vote. No one ever actually voted. Even still, they were toying around with our government and should be help accountable. However, to say that justifies voter suppression by respected officials makes wonder what country we're in. Zimbabwe? Haiti? Columbia?

BTW: Stunts and tricks by private groups is one thing, regardless of how unethical they may be. However, once a member of a private group becomes an elected official and takes their oath of office, they are bound by the constitution to represent all citizens. ELECTED REPRESENTATIVES targeting black citizens to try to bring about lower voter turnout is no longer a private group, the Republican Party, placing themselves on parity with the New Black Panthers or ACORN. Its the government targeting Americans for denial of civil rights, many of whom have fought and died for all of our rights. Completely baffled how anyone can justify this. At least you're honest about it. Most of my fellow Republican friends just play dumb (or think I'm dumb.) I have way more respect for your honesty than theirs. :applaud

No voting should not be mandatory. While it's too much to hope that everyone who voluntarily votes has actually taken the time to do the research to make an informed decision, if we were to make voting mandatory there would be many more people voting unintelligently.

You and I seem to be mostly on the same page and in the distinct minority on this. I do NOT want voter registration to be made easier. I want people to take voting so seriously that they will get themselves down to city hall to register like they once did, provide proper identification and proof of residency like they once did. I want people to deliberately and intentionally register to vote like they once did. I want them to do this because they feel a sense of responsibility and appreciate the privilege of living in a free country where the people choose who they want to lead them. They choose and do not act out of knee jerk reaction to somebody else's suggestion or order or bribe.

And on election day I want those who know what they are voting for to get themselves to the poll to vote like they once did. I don't want people voting who don't know who the candidates are, what they stand for, or what the differences are.

Mandatory? No way. Those who vote should educate themselves and make the effort to exercise their civic responsibility. Those unwilling to do that should not vote.
Yep. I get that there are some who have no birth certificate, etc.. but those are actually few in number and tend to be older, and as time goes by that generation is disappearing. I believe we should legitimately and honestly work with them, but at the same time using them as a reason to not require ID is a red herring.

Having said that, I believe that voting is already absurdly easy.

I think the activities you describe should be criminally prosecuted but there's a gigantic difference. Inexcusable behavior by groups everybody knows are goons and behavior by a highly respected major American political party, it's officers and elected officials. Seriously, do you think the Republican Party; state chairmen, legislators and governors are the white guy equivalent of the black panthers? Not even the black panthers, the new black patters who are literally a bunch of I don't know what to call them. If these actions had been perpetrated by some skinhead group I fully agree with you. You're basically saying the Republican Party of the United States, who have the constitutional power to enact the laws of state governments is the conservative counterpart to the new black panthers.

I think when one group uses race politics to win, they other guy has to do the same.

BTW: Stunts and tricks by private groups is one thing, regardless of how unethical they may be. However, once a member of a private group becomes an elected official and takes their oath of office, they are bound by the constitution to represent all citizens. ELECTED REPRESENTATIVES targeting black citizens to try to bring about lower voter turnout is no longer a private group, the Republican Party, placing themselves on parity with the New Black Panthers or ACORN. Its the government targeting Americans for denial of civil rights, many of whom have fought and died for all of our rights. Completely baffled how anyone can justify this. At least you're honest about it. Most of my fellow Republican friends just play dumb (or think I'm dumb.) I have way more respect for your honesty than theirs. :applaud

Im honest about the end of the USA. Its too big, too powerful. I just wish others would accept it and move on. If white or black people dont want to live with each other, they shouldnt have to.

I think when one group uses race politics to win, they other guy has to do the same.

I disagree. Its called taking the high road.

Plus, blacks are a minority race. Its not logical to think black candidates win because they're able to convenience 13% of the population to vote for them. At least not in statewide and national elections. Other than in gerrymandered congressional districts, black candidates win because the majority white population thinks they better represent them. Besides, despite what some might think is true, I don't believe blacks vote along racial lines anyway. If you want I can list black candidate after black candidate who when running against white candidates, did not receive the majority of black votes. Obama did but so did Bill Clinton and John Kerry. Alan Keyes, Carol Mosley Braun, Cynthia Mckinney and Al Shapton did not get the majority of black votes. Neither will Ben Carson, I don't imagine.

I agree the supposed voter fraud problem is a non-issue however there does seem to be a problem with voter registration fraud but those fake registrations always get spotted. The registration workers get paid per registration they turn in so there is an incentive to register Mickey Mouse. Plus, even is a registration worker suspects there's a fake one in the stack, he's still required by law to turn it in and let the supervisions of elections office decide. Like most honest Americans, I'm concerned but it doesn't seem to have affected any actual elections outcomes. In areas where possibly some real voter fraud might have occurred, it took place in areas that did not affect the outcome. Chicago, for example, has a reputation for dead people voting democrat. So instead of the democrats winning by a landslide...the democrats win by a landslide. Net effect: the democrats take the state of Illinois when otherwise the democrats would have won Illinois by 31 fewer votes. That said, I still think the fraudsters belong in jail for screwing around with our elections. However, the tit for tat solution should not be elected officials sworn to uphold the constitution engaging in ADMITTED voter suppression against blacks in swing states.

Hi joG,

I can go along with your comment on legislative powers, but this does not contradict my statement that voting should be mandatory. But I do not believe that their income/pension should depend on this. This to avoid conflict of interest. The interest being the money of course. Any person who works in such a position does this with the sole purpose of representing the people of the country. And the work they do should not be biased by the money they make. Nor should we create a system that makes this possible. We should hold them accountable for their actions though and when failing to do their job this will result in termination of their position. Allowing for income to depend on votes potentially allows for popular election propaganda in order to make more money and this is in conflict of the position that these people hold.

Joey

Too many stupid people vote now. Why encourage the irresponsible?

Step 1: Make voting mandatory
Step 2: Make yours the only name on the ballot
Step 3: Return to your fortified compound

(Works for N. Korea)

I say no, absolutely not.

and this is my reason why:

Strange-and-funny-people-of-walmart-008.jpg

I disagree. Its called taking the high road.

Plus, blacks are a minority race. Its not logical to think black candidates win because they're able to convenience 13% of the population to vote for them. At least not in statewide and national elections. Other than in gerrymandered congressional districts, black candidates win because the majority white population thinks they better represent them. Besides, despite what some might think is true, I don't believe blacks vote along racial lines anyway. If you want I can list black candidate after black candidate who when running against white candidates, did not receive the majority of black votes. Obama did but so did Bill Clinton and John Kerry. Alan Keyes, Carol Mosley Braun, Cynthia Mckinney and Al Shapton did not get the majority of black votes. Neither will Ben Carson, I don't imagine.

In politics there is no high road. Blacks win, in part, because whites are guilted into voting based on race, and whites are shamed out of office at even the slightest connection to race. Look at Trent Lott.

I voted no. Freedom includes the freedom to be apathetic.

In politics there is no high road.

I hope this is not true.

Blacks win, in part, because whites are guilted into voting based on race.[/QUOTE]

I've heard some people think this. I've never meet a single person who admit to voting for a black candidate because they feel guilty.

and whites are shamed out of office at even the slightest connection to race. Look at Trent Lott.

I'm not sure I'd call "the slightest connection to race." Lott basically said if we'd not desegregated the America the country wouldn't have the problem it has.

I hope this is not true.

Blacks win, in part, because whites are guilted into voting based on race.

I've heard some people think this. I've never meet a single person who admit to voting for a black candidate because they feel guilty.

I'm not sure I'd call "the slightest connection to race." Lott basically said if we'd not desegregated the America the country wouldn't have the problem it has.[/QUOTE]

Case in point. He made no mention of segregation. But because he praised someone who was linked to it, hes run out of office. Juan Williams says hes uncomfortable with muslims on planes, and hes fired from NPR. This is how culture politics work. Say something innocuous and those who dont like you trump it up to a grave charge.

Back
Top Bottom