• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should this child be taken away from his parents?

Should the child be taken away from the parents?

• Yes (explain)

• No (explain)

• Maybe (explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Situation --- typical American household -- two parents, one child, no history of endangerment, neglect or abuse noted. Child is 11 years old and tells his parents that he feels like he's really a girl. He wants to begin gender reassignment. Parents are very concerned and think he's way too young to make a decision like that. They do not start the process of gender reassignment. Should this child be taken away from his parents?
Sounds fake.

They both have undeveloped minds. There is no difference.
They are also similar in that the 14 year old did something that ruined his life forever and the other child is considering doing something that could also.

Well, it's a hypothetical, so....
Hypotheticals are supposed to be like real situations, i.e. plausible.

That story is more like a straw man than a hypothetical.

Hypotheticals are supposed to be like real situations, i.e. plausible.

That story is more like a straw man than a hypothetical.

K. Have a nice night.

Sounds fake.
That was kind of my thought too. It does not seem reasonable that an 11 year old boy suddenly "decided" they were a girl.
All of the parent interviews dealing with this subject that I have read explain the child showing preferences for behavior and dress from very early age. If it takes 11 years for the parents recognize their child's feelings, I think they've been rather negligent.
These behaviors should have been discussed with a medical doctor for years.
It is also obvious that the age 11 is significant to the story, because after puberty changes are much more difficult.
I don't think the child should be "taken" from their parents. I think the parents should be getting some better information to deal with their child's health.

Situation --- typical American household -- two parents, one child, no history of endangerment, neglect or abuse noted. Child is 11 years old and tells his parents that he feels like he's really a girl. He wants to begin gender reassignment. Parents are very concerned and think he's way too young to make a decision like that. They do not start the process of gender reassignment. Should this child be taken away from his parents?
An 11 year old understands gender reassignment? I'd be ashamed as a parent if my child went this route.

That's what the OP is asking! The kid expressed a preference and the parents ignored their request. At that point the parents need to be removed from the equation and professionals need to be brought in to properly assess the situation and make the best decisions for all involved. The kid is too young to make a decision and the parents may well be making the wrong decision or making a decision based on ignorance, intolerance or, worst of all, some ****ed up form of religious commitment. The state is the one with the power to engage the best and brightest experts on these matters and, after substantial polling to validate the messaging, the state is the one, based on PROPER science (not fake science), make the proper decision for the kid...who may well have changed their mind and now identifies as Iron Man.
Well, that is way beyond anything I would say. I would never suggest you are POEing to create a straw man argument...

The situation in the OP is something that should be discussed by the parents, child, healthcare and mental healthcare professionals, and family. The fact that the OP contains no details from most of those people suggests either it is a made up scenario(in other words not of any meaning whatsoever), or the OP is ignorant of important details in the story that would actually let us better understand the situation, or the OP is intentionally withholding information. Any idea which it might be?

Well, it's a hypothetical, so....
Your hypothetical lacks much key information to judge. It would be akin to asking you judge what should be done if parents have a kid with health problems. Just not enough info...

I would of enjoyed this thread more had you framed that the parents gave birth to a boy but wanted a girl so they began gender realignment on the child against his will. I would like to see peoples response to that.

Your hypothetical lacks much key information to judge. It would be akin to asking you judge what should be done if parents have a kid with health problems. Just not enough info...

Then expand on what you think is missing and what situations would cause you to say yes, no or maybe.

Then expand on what you think is missing and what situations would cause you to say yes, no or maybe.
I did in my first post in the thread. Any mildly responsible parent would have taken the kid to professionals who understand the issues, who can inform the parents on their educated opinions of what should be done, if anything. And since Trans comes in many, many flavors(as in no two are the same, much like everyone else), that professional examination and review would be key to making any kind of judgement.

I did in my first post in the thread. Any mildly responsible parent would have taken the kid to professionals who understand the issues, who can inform the parents on their educated opinions of what should be done, if anything. And since Trans comes in many, many flavors(as in no two are the same, much like everyone else), that professional examination and review would be key to making any kind of judgement.

Yes, I saw that. In what circumstances would you say yes, no or maybe to the poll question?

I would of enjoyed this thread more had you framed that the parents gave birth to a boy but wanted a girl so they began gender realignment on the child against his will. I would like to see peoples response to that.

You do have the ability to start your own thread.

Yes, I saw that. In what circumstances would you say yes, no or maybe to the poll question?
In no circumstances without more information than given would I even begin to judge.

In no circumstances without more information than given would I even begin to judge.

You just added the information you wanted. So in what circumstances would you say yes, no or maybe to the poll question? Example --- the parents take the child to the psychologist to discuss what he's feeling. After some sessions, the psychologist recommends that he start the transition process, but the parents still don't want to do it. Or you come up with your own additions to the original story and then judge.

You're kidding. Right ?

Did they make an informed decision? With doctors, and physiological visits? Or did they just discuss it on the couch together and decided?

Either way, it's theirs to make.

Any parent that allows an 11 year old child to proceed with puberty blockers and/or consents to gender reassignment surgery for them, should have the child removed from their custody and then brought up on child abuse charges.

You nailed that one. I was getting ready to say the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom