• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should this child be taken away from his parents?

Should the child be taken away from the parents?

• Yes (explain)

• No (explain)

• Maybe (explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
We never had the privilege to be parents, so this is only hypothetical. I wish and hope that the relationship with the (hypothetical) child was so that we could have an open and honest conversation, keeping love and respect for one another at the forefront. The ideal outcome would be to revisit that conversation at a much later date.

Situation --- typical American household -- two parents, one child, no history of endangerment, neglect or abuse noted. Child is 11 years old and tells his parents that he feels like he's really a girl. He wants to begin gender reassignment. Parents are very concerned and think he's way too young to make a decision like that. They do not start the process of gender reassignment. Should this child be taken away from his parents?
If the Child said he really feels like a Smiley Face and wants to get tattooed yellow all over, Should the Parents listen ?
Hell no !

I would of enjoyed this thread more had you framed that the parents gave birth to a boy but wanted a girl so they began gender realignment on the child against his will. I would like to see peoples response to that.
have

Situation --- typical American household -- two parents, one child, no history of endangerment, neglect or abuse noted. Child is 11 years old and tells his parents that he feels like he's really a girl. He wants to begin gender reassignment. Parents are very concerned and think he's way too young to make a decision like that. They do not start the process of gender reassignment. Should this child be taken away from his parents?
No

I looked at Michigan and did not find any cases where a 11 year old was charged as a adult. Youngest I found was 14?
Nathan Abrahan, Pontiac mi. Shot and killed a man at age 11. May have been 12 or older when sentenced tho

Absolutely not, the kid is only 11 years old, for goodness sakes. "Parental rights".....does that ring a bell?

Incarcerate the parents and give the kid a better home with a multi-racial, non-binary, open relationship, vegan, earth worshipping family. Heck, take ALL the kids away from all the parents and start a state run agency that teaches them inclusivity, tolerance and free love...except for all the poeple that don't deserve to be included, tolerated or loved because they suck.

Rofl.....sarcasm noted, lol. It's a free liberal world, lol.

You just added the information you wanted. So in what circumstances would you say yes, no or maybe to the poll question? Example --- the parents take the child to the psychologist to discuss what he's feeling. After some sessions, the psychologist recommends that he start the transition process, but the parents still don't want to do it. Or you come up with your own additions to the original story and then judge.
Does not really work like that. It can take years to make the determination. There is a huge range of possible ways to proceed even if gender dysphoria is indicated. The more invasive the recommendation, the more second/third opinions are warranted. You are trying to take something incredibly complex and make it simple, and that is a 100 % sure failure.

Recommended reading(note: version 8 is due out later this year, so some of this may become obsolete): https://www.wpath.org/media/cms/Documents/SOC v7/Standards of Care V7 - 2011 WPATH.pdf

Here's what makes this tricky. If parents refuse to seek medical help to seek a diagnosis or treatment for persistent symptoms of a chronic or acute condition such as episodes of seizure, severe burns, significant weight loss, depression, chronic diarrhea, or gender dysphoria, you may be looking at child neglect.

So my question becomes. What did these parents do to help their child and how did they want to treat the gender dysphoria, assuming that this was diagnosed by a medical professional? I am looking for evidence that there was a sincere effort to try less invasive or controversial steps and see what helps that the doctor, the parents, the child and CPS can agree on. Its not like we have to go from 15 to 90 Miles per Hour down this road.

Last edited:
A child at that age is not mentally developed enough to make a decision like that. The parents are correct in putting the brakes on. There is no hurry to rush into it. Chances are within a few days he will change his mind. I knew a kid about that age who wanted to be a monkey.

Chances are zero percent he will change his mind in a few days. You need to learn more human psychology.

Chances are zero percent he will change his mind in a few days. You need to learn more human psychology.
11-year-olds never change their minds? What rock have you been hiding under?

Nope.

Is this hypothetical has it actually happened? And for that specific reason?

Oh, and at what age does access to ‘libertarian’ rights kick in?

No, parents who seek gender reassignment for an 11-year old child should have their children taken away, and them and the providers of said treatment should be facing felony charges for even suggesting such a vile thing. I'd be fine with such individuals being forced to register as sex offenders as well.

My answer is no, but the story is extremely incomplete and full of misleading statements. Keep in mind, I know transgender people and this scenario contains tons of problematic elements. Lets review:

1. For any medical transition to occur, the person needs to seek both medical and psychological evaluation. The person could be suffering from gender dypshoria or they could be suffering from disassociation or some trauma.

2. Once the person follows the starter protocol (socially transition), they go on blockers, and then hormone replacement therapy. After that the patient and the medical/psychological professionals make a decision on the potential next steps on the transition. It should be noted that bottom surgery isn't highly recommended, unless GD is still very high on the person. Social transition and hormones are the most common recommendations for somebody who feels they were born in the wrong body.

3, The story doesn't say anything about medial or psychological evaluation. The story doesn't really specific what "gender reassignment surgery" means. Are we talking about hormones, bottom, or altering the breasts?

4. Last time I checked, 11 year olds are not eligible for medical transition. Puberty blockers can start at least 12. Hormones can start at least 16 years. Bottom surgeries or any other surgeries, they have to be at least 17 with parental consent. All of this follow the current medical and psychological guidelines.

5. No surgeries or hormones can occur if the person doesn't suffer from gender dysphoria. These are reserved for people who have it. There are some transgender people who are not on hormones, and simply dress the way they want to dress and identify as they wish.

So yes, 11 years old is way too young undergo any type of physical transition. I would hope the parents would allow their transgender child to socially transition and go by their preferred pronouns. Once they get older, then medical transition could be an option. Many people, especially those on the right, completely understand the concept of transition.

Where are health care and mental health care professionals in this story?
I agree there probably should be come counseling.

My answer is no, but the story is extremely incomplete and full of misleading statements. Keep in mind, I know transgender people and this scenario contains tons of problematic elements. Lets review:

1. For any medical transition to occur, the person needs to seek both medical and psychological evaluation. The person could be suffering from gender dypshoria or they could be suffering from disassociation or some trauma.

2. Once the person follows the starter protocol (socially transition), they go on blockers, and then hormone replacement therapy. After that the patient and the medical/psychological professionals make a decision on the potential next steps on the transition. It should be noted that bottom surgery isn't highly recommended, unless GD is still very high on the person. Social transition and hormones are the most common recommendations for somebody who feels they were born in the wrong body.

3, The story doesn't say anything about medial or psychological evaluation. The story doesn't really specific what "gender reassignment surgery" means. Are we talking about hormones, bottom, or altering the breasts?

4. Last time I checked, 11 year olds are not eligible for medical transition. Puberty blockers can start at least 12. Hormones can start at least 16 years. Bottom surgeries or any other surgeries, they have to be at least 17 with parental consent. All of this follow the current medical and psychological guidelines.

5. No surgeries or hormones can occur if the person doesn't suffer from gender dysphoria. These are reserved for people who have it. There are some transgender people who are not on hormones, and simply dress the way they want to dress and identify as they wish.

So yes, 11 years old is way too young undergo any type of physical transition. I would hope the parents would allow their transgender child to socially transition and go by their preferred pronouns. Once they get older, then medical transition could be an option. Many people, especially those on the right, completely understand the concept of transition.
IMO, 12 year olds are too young.

Why is that? Are you a doctor? We’re talking about at least level. Blockers have no long term impacts. Somebody would undo early transition would have to suffer from major GD.
Okay, seeing as you're not a doctor (or Dr. Josef Mengele specifically), I'm not sure that you or the minority of quacks who'd perform such procedures on a 12 year old are really worth considering.

I also takes it you're probably uneducated on the basic topics up for discussion here, such as the differences between the person who would perform a procedure, and the faulty and easily debunkable axioms upon which said procedures are based on to begin with.

because no one has the right to take a child from the parents if no harm has been or is being done to the child

Back
Top Bottom