• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should the US government ban tobacco?

Should the US government ban tobacco?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.
I don't think tobacco should be banned, but I also don't want to pay for their long-term healthcare.

There should be a limit to coverage.
That should be the case from the start or Obamacare. Governemt expenditures should only cover the basic needed services. The free market can then offer improved services in the form of pay for insurances. They do ask if you are a smoker or not. Now large groups for employers, they already factor in that a general percentage of people already smoke, drink, etc.

No, this nation has a terrible habit of seeing the government say no to something made into a yes by criminal enterprise.
Exactly. People aren't going to stop smoking if you try to "ban" cigs. Remember how well prohibition went? Also, M.J.'s slowly becoming legal, recreationally, even in some of the redneck, fake Christian states.

Exactly. People aren't going to stop smoking if you try to "ban" cigs. Remember how well prohibition went? Also, M.J.'s slowly becoming legal, recreationally, even in some of the redneck, fake Christian states.
Why are the Christians against God's green plants?

Why are the Christians against God's green plants?
All red states are fake Christian states. They hide behind Christianity so they can discriminate against LGBTQ people and call it "freedom". All the while they're all banging each other's wives and watching their wives get it on with others. Just ask Roger Stone, Paul Manafort, Newt Gingritch..

funny thing is - they all preach morality. LOL.

All red states are fake Christian states. They hide behind Christianity so they can discriminate against LGBTQ people and call it "freedom". All the while they're all banging each other's wives and watching their wives get it on with others. Just ask Roger Stone, Paul Manafort, Newt Gingritch..

funny thing is - they all preach morality. LOL.
Careful... Your words are sounding bigoted, if not, slanderous.

You're right. We need to give the cartels more money, power, and influence.

What could possibly go wrong?
Its like importing an alien species to control the alien species you shouldnt have imported 15 years ago. Some lessons just never get learned.

This came to mind:

Just after the 3:05 point.

Tobacco use is the leading preventable cause of death in the United States.​

tobacco-health-statistics.png

With hundreds of thousands of people dying every year, should the government ban tobacco?
Nah. Drug prohibition hasn't worked out well. I don't see why tobacco would be any different.

Ban tobacco and states lose all those nice "sin tax" dollars. Besides, if you ban tobacco, then you had better ban marijuana too, and then why stop there, let's ban booze because booze is bad for society.....

Oh wait, they already tried that. And all it did was create a black market and a billion dollars for criminals.

emily-litella-nevermind-1-jpg.648556

I don't think tobacco should be banned, but I also don't want to pay for their long-term healthcare.

There should be a limit to coverage.
Lol. Stupid corporate right platitude. “I don’t want to pay…. “ no one gives a shit.

If we have to pay for AIDS treatment for people who engage in sodomy (and we do) then there’s no reason to exclude tobacco related costs

tobacco-health-statistics.png

With hundreds of thousands of people dying every year, should the government ban tobacco?
I say no. As others pointed out it opens it to the black market. I don't think tobacco companies should be allowed to add chemicals that increase their nicotine content or make it physically more addictive/ But I think the only additives tobacco companies should be able to add to their products is flavor additives.If they want to make grape, menthol, vanilla or what ever flavors then they should be allowed to. After all I can go to the liquor practically get those same flavors. But no one is lying their ass off about how big alcohol is marketing booze to little kids.

The number of smokers is declining. Obesity is a growing problem. Let's ban McDonald's.

How sarcastic/not sarcastic is this post?

The number of smokers is declining. Obesity is a growing problem. Let's ban McDonald's.
Taxing added carbs by the gram would be interesting.

I don't know. It's already a problem that eating healthy is more expensive and time consuming. If you want to eat healthy you have to cook. If you don't want to cook and want a healthy sandwhich, you need whole grain bread, tomato slices, Romaine lettuce. Fish is good but very expensive and you have to cook it yourself or you'll get a bunch of breading and not much fish.

I don't think any kind of taxing or banning is going to stop people from eating horribly (or doing drugs, smoking, etc.)

It should ban alcohol and caffeinated beverages, fast food, spam, milk, skydiving, mountain climbing, and contact sports.

No.

Stop banning plants.

Nope. People have a right to harm themselves.

Nope. People have a right to harm themselves.
But who’s going to employ unmarriagable ugly fat women to work in government offices regulating compliance if we don’t create new pretexts to hire them into civil service jobs at 6 figures?

Most of the federal government workforce is a full employment program for blocs of people the regime counts on to vote for democrats.

Back
Top Bottom