• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should the US government ban tobacco?

Should the US government ban tobacco?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.
But who’s going to employ unmarriagable ugly fat women to work in government offices regulating compliance if we don’t create new pretexts to hire them into civil service jobs at 6 figures?

Most of the federal government workforce is a full employment program for blocs of people the regime counts on to vote for democrats.

No need for name calling or sarcasm. Govt waste speaks for itself.

Ban tobacco and states lose all those nice "sin tax" dollars. Besides, if you ban tobacco, then you had better ban marijuana too, and then why stop there, let's ban booze because booze is bad for society.....
Oh wait, they already tried that. And all it did was create a black market and a billion dollars for criminals.

emily-litella-nevermind-1-jpg.648556
1651246618866.png

I did vote YES although I harbor serious doubts it would ever succeed.
So you can only really count my vote as symbolic.
All that having been said, it would be helpful if there was a major chunk of funding to figure out ways to help get
people off cigs, some kind of "antidote" or some sort of treatment that would SHUT OFF a person's desire for nicotine.
Well, psychosurgery might be a possibility. I remember reading about a Brit who had a very small stroke which apparently killed the area of his brain responsible for his heroin addiction, but nothing else. He reported that he simply "forgot to be an addict" and never had the desire again. Don't know the practicality of probing for such an area, and doubt that many would submit to ablation of part of their brain, even if it was practical.

Well, psychosurgery might be a possibility. I remember reading about a Brit who had a very small stroke which apparently killed the area of his brain responsible for his heroin addiction, but nothing else. He reported that he simply "forgot to be an addict" and never had the desire again. Don't know the practicality of probing for such an area, and doubt that many would submit to ablation of part of their brain, even if it was practical.

Yeah I am hoping that medical technology can develop a less invasive approach.
It's just addiction, but as a recovered crack addict (twenty-seven years clean) I can honestly say that, for me, cigs are way more addictive than crack and much harder to quit.

I rarely see people smoking as much as they used to so i dont see the point.

No, it will just create a black market.

However, it should absolutely regulate cigarettes for safety (stuff like a maximum amount of tar or carcinogens.) Even if that product will never be safe (its literally a poison), it can at least minimize risks as is feasible.
Do you think the government should regulate marijuana in the same way?
Marijuana affects brain development. When people begin using marijuana as teenagers, the drug may impair thinking, memory, and learning functions and affect how the brain builds connections between the areas necessary for these functions. Researchers are still studying how long marijuana's effects last and whether some changes may be permanent.
For example, a study from New Zealand conducted in part by researchers at Duke University showed that people who started smoking marijuana heavily in their teens and had an ongoing marijuana use disorder lost an average of 8 IQ points between ages 13 and 38. The lost mental abilities didn't fully return in those who quit marijuana as adults.

Yeah I am hoping that medical technology can develop a less invasive approach.
It's just addiction, but as a recovered crack addict (twenty-seven years clean) I can honestly say that, for me, cigs are way more addictive than crack and much harder to quit.
Malcolm X had the same observation about cigarettes vs. heroin, alcohol and pot.

I voted no, although it would create a black market that wouldn’t need to be smuggled into our country. Lol

honerstly, I think they should ban cigarette companies.. not the cigarettes, they are just way to foul to be allowed to exist, make tobacco a smalltime local thing, no more than 10 employees

No, I don't think they should be banned. I think gradually increasing taxes on a pack over time will solve most of the problem.

I voted YES.

For no other reason than "just because".

;)

So, just who is making this racist? Is someone suggesting that other races don't smoke menthol?
Here is a quote from the article. Decide for yourself.

Last April, the Biden administration pledged to try to ban menthol within the year, responding in part to African American groups who say menthol has led to lower quit rates and higher rates of death among Black people. Menthols are used by 85% of Black smokers.

Taxing added carbs by the gram would be interesting.
Perhaps they should do like many bars do. If you appear drunk, they will not serve you alcohol. Perhaps, if you appear fat, they should refuse to serve you anything except salads.

Here is a quote from the article. Decide for yourself.

Last April, the Biden administration pledged to try to ban menthol within the year, responding in part to African American groups who say menthol has led to lower quit rates and higher rates of death among Black people. Menthols are used by 85% of Black smokers.
Silly. Isn't it.

Silly. Isn't it.
More stupid than silly. But the Dims love banners. They all whack their dummies every time some politician mentions banning something. I wonder if anyone believes that banning menthol cigarettes will stop people from smoking? Guess they are not bright enough to understand some enterprising person will make a menthol attachment or menthol flavoring additive for other cigarettes. Let alone all the money that will be made by bootleggers who sell them under the table. The difference of course will be that the bootlegged material will have no government oversite during it's manufacturing and will end up being even more harmful.

Not going to happen. The tobacco lobby is still strong. Anyone ever seen the warnings on foreign packages? They are much more graphic than what is posted here. Unofficially, I think smoking is much more prevalent in Europe.

Not going to happen. The tobacco lobby is still strong. Anyone ever seen the warnings on foreign packages? They are much more graphic than what is posted here. Unofficially, I think smoking is much more prevalent in Europe.
I think public smoking is much more prevalent in Europe. Seems like everyone in France had a cig hanging out of their mouth. The data shows 25% of the US population smokes. I find that hard to believe. I don't think I know more than a couple of people who smoke.

I think public smoking is much more prevalent in Europe. Seems like everyone in France had a cig hanging out of their mouth. The data shows 25% of the US population smokes. I find that hard to believe. I don't think I know more than a couple of people who smoke.

I was flabbergasted to find out that someone I've known for decades has smoked for decades. He never smells like it at all.

I definitely could name a lot more smokers 20 years ago. I can't think of more than a handful now.

Should we remove the ban on the substances that are illegal now?
We should at least decriminalize most of it.

And youths. . Menthol is mainly targeting young people who are not hooked on an addictive drug yet.
Hmm, aren't youths prohibited from purchasing or possessing cigarettes? How is that law working? If you think another law is the answer, you must have a learning impairment.

The fact is some people are going to do stupid things and you cannot protect them from themselves.

Back
Top Bottom