• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Should gays be allowed to serve openly in the military?

Should gays be allowed to serve openly gay in the military?

• yes

Votes: 40 78.4%
  • no

Votes: 11 21.6%

• Total voters
I would agree that sexual orientation is not a consideration when couples discuss objectives/hopes for their soon-to-be-born children. I would think that health is probably the only real consideration.
I'll agree with you 100% I have relatives and friends with children that have birth defects and it often devastates them. I understand that your referenced science experts consider the gay person to not be ill or defect in any way yet to the parents that desired a healthy son or daughter wished for that with future considerations of grandchildren in their latter years and so on. I will refrain from saying the gay child is a mistake, birth defect or a abomination of nature because they are, according to current science born as nature planned. Yet, this difference impacts the hopeful dreams of a parents wish for a healthy child. My gay cousin for example was nicknamed for a sports player and he wasn't interested in sports and his parents both have strong beliefs in fundamentalism religion (Southern Baptist) and I only conclude that from talking with my half brother and his wife they love their son with all their hearts but there is a but that is unspoken.

If you are discussing physical prowess, then I would cautiously agree with you, as, point-to-point, a woman's natural physical strength is less than a man's. However, I read your comments to mean leadership. In this sense, I do not agree. Women can be as effective leaders as men.
Actually I find women leaders and soldiers equally qualified in the military as men with the exception of combat/combat service support units that are on the leading edge of battle. Fighter/bomber pilots regardless of sex do fantastic equal jobs and in many jobs in the Army women excel over men. It is just my opinion that because women think in different patterns than men along with the way many men feel protective of women they become a burden in a maneuver combat element where a team relies on training and a single mindset that is the norm of a man team trained together.

I have already explained some of the potential confounds to your hypothetical scenerio. Reread the bottom of Post #544.
I've revisited the post several times and still unsure what portion of the paragraph would cause either the gay person or relative to not sign a paper to be sent to a congressional representative. Congress acts on legislation that has popular support and I'll guarantee that "American's for Family Values" is not bashful to ask those same people to write congress in opposition of gay supporting legislation. Making the legislation popular is the only way to have gay legislation move.

Many gays have chosen in the past and choose in the present to not identify their sexual orientation because of the real fear of persecution and physical attacks.
How do gay pride celebrations ever come about? Do people from out of town participate in the events that are otherwise in the closet?

I have no idea what kind of gay people you have been dealing with, but those that you describe, above, are extremists. Extremists of any group do not represent that group as a whole and, in general, present that group in an exclusionary, degrading, bigotted, stereotypical, and misrepresentative way. I make a policy to expose extremists whenever possible as they indirectly attack the very group they claim to represent.
The gay activity I thought was common during gay pride events and not considered extremist... the other portion was speaking of black soldiers in the 60's... I have no contact with gays other than the internet since I stopped working for the only gay person I knew about five years ago.

Really Navy? You're clearly telling me something I don't know here. Furthermore, the fact that he was "only" the JCOS for 4 years means that he doesn't know what he's talking about, right?

I don't know but it is obvious as and ex soldier he knows nothing about the operation of the U.S. Navy.......I don't think the Chief of naval Operations (CNO) would ever make a dumb comment like that........

I don't know but it is obvious as and ex soldier he knows nothing about the operation of the U.S. Navy.......I don't think the Chief of naval Operations (CNO) would ever make a dumb comment like that........

Are you actually arguing that someone who served for four years at the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staffs "knows nothing about the operation of the US Navy"?

Are you actually arguing that someone who served for four years at the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staffs "knows nothing about the operation of the US Navy"?

That is exactly what I am suggesting....I doubt very seriously if he ever stepped aboard a Navy ship let alone ventured down into the crews berthing compartment or the heads......He was a soldier not a sailors....Sailors are commanded by Admirals.........Soldiers by Generals........

That is exactly what I am suggesting....I doubt very seriously if he ever stepped aboard a Navy ship let alone ventured down into the crews berthing compartment or the heads......He was a soldier not a sailors....Sailors are commanded by Admirals.........Soldiers by Generals........

So wait...we are supposed to revere our military and defer to their judgment in matters of war and military functioning...we are supposed to support those appointed to oversee the military by our commander in chief except when they disagree with you, Chief? At that point, we can put the finest point possible on their experience and pigeon hole them into sailors and soldiers so we can justify your view against the superiors? I'm not buying it.

So wait...we are supposed to revere our military and defer to their judgment in matters of war and military functioning...we are supposed to support those appointed to oversee the military by our commander in chief except when they disagree with you, Chief? At that point, we can put the finest point possible on their experience and pigeon hole them into sailors and soldiers so we can justify your view against the superiors? I'm not buying it.

No I am not saying that at all........I am just saying the CNO knows a hell of a lot about how the Navy operates then the JCOS and he probably knows a hell of a lot more about how the Army operates the the CNO.......

No I am not saying that at all........I am just saying the CNO knows a hell of a lot about how the Navy operates then the JCOS and he probably knows a hell of a lot more about how the Army operates the the CNO.......

Fair enough....:2wave:

I'm willing to bet that he got a crash course. Maybe a briefing or two.:roll:

Back
Top Bottom