• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Should gays be allowed to serve openly in the military?

Should gays be allowed to serve openly gay in the military?

• yes

Votes: 40 78.4%
  • no

Votes: 11 21.6%

• Total voters

Topsez

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Congress has voted that gays should keep their sexuality private as basis for employment for military service. Do you think congress represents the consensus of the majority of the American citizenship in their view of gay military service?

Do you think congress views gays as citizens with mixed up genes… girls with boy genes and boys with girl genes and if so why would this make a difference since both men and women now serve the nation?

Why are gays different than strait citizens? Are the apparent female’s males without male equipment and the apparent males females with male genitalia? If so why are gay men and women attracted to each other? Does one member of a gay couple possess the wrong genitalia or both?

Is it as simple as the wrong genes in the jeans or something more to it? Why are gays so repulsive to strait people to cause congress to rule as they did with Don’t ask – don’t tell?

Perhaps we could have gay Brigades and then integrate them into the strait Brigades?

Congress has voted that gays should keep their sexuality private as basis for employment for military service. Do you think congress represents the consensus of the majority of the American citizenship in their view of gay military service?

Do you think congress views gays as citizens with mixed up genes… girls with boy genes and boys with girl genes and if so why would this make a difference since both men and women now serve the nation?

Why are gays different than strait citizens? Are the apparent female’s males without male equipment and the apparent males females with male genitalia? If so why are gay men and women attracted to each other? Does one member of a gay couple possess the wrong genitalia or both?

Is it as simple as the wrong genes in the jeans or something more to it? Why are gays so repulsive to strait people to cause congress to rule as they did with Don’t ask – don’t tell?

Perhaps we could have gay Brigades and then integrate them into the strait Brigades?

Gays are far from "repulsive" to me. I've always though gay/bi guys were pretty hot; I don't like big bulging muscular hairy bodies, nor the requisite big bulging muscular hairy attitudes that inevitably seem to go along with them.
I like skinny bodies, and I've always been more attracted to androgynous-looking, "pretty" men.
I can't speak for the rest of society, but I doubt I'm alone here.

Now: should gays be allowed to openly serve in the military?
Of course they should.
That they can't is not some reflection of their general 'repulsiveness', but rather a product of a society where those who consider themselves "straight" are insecure in their own sexual identities, and therefore feel threatened by them.

what does sexuality have to do with military service, or the workplace for that matter
if one expects gays to be able to serve openly in the military, than the gays as well as the straights will have to mature to that point where it is acceptable
currently it is not, hence DADT
and when enough prove themselves, and others feel more comfortable, than maybe gays can serve openly
until than, the military is no place for social experiments

Anybody...dumb enough...to want to be in the army, should be allowed to do so.

-Bill Hicks.

what does sexuality have to do with military service, or the workplace for that matter
if one expects gays to be able to serve openly in the military, than the gays as well as the straights will have to mature to that point where it is acceptable
currently it is not, hence DADT
and when enough prove themselves, and others feel more comfortable, than maybe gays can serve openly

what does race have to do with military service, or the workplace for that matter
if one expects blacks to be able to serve in the military, than the blacks as well as the whites will have to mature to that point where it is acceptable
currently it is not, hence blacks can't serve.
and when enough prove themselves, and others feel more comfortable, than maybe blacks can serve.

:shock:

what does race have to do with military service, or the workplace for that matter
if one expects blacks to be able to serve in the military, than the blacks as well as the whites will have to mature to that point where it is acceptable
and when enough prove themselves, and others feel more comfortable, than maybe blacks can serve.

Yep. More "Blame-the-victim" mentality.
If a demographic group is discriminated agianst, it must be because they deserve it.
When they quit sucking so bad, maybe we'll quit discriminating against them.
:roll:
It makes me so @#$% mad.
The ones doing the discriminating are the "immature" ones, the ones with the problem, the ones who need to change. As usual.
Some people apparently didn't learn the lessons of the civil rights movement.

apples and oranges, but nice try
you and your pupils
sexuality is nothing like race
and as i recall minorities were segregated in the military, and eventually were fully integrated, and accepted by most

and just because you have ' a more enlightened position' does not mean you force it down the throats of those who have volunteered to protect your right to believe what ever you want
homos have made many advances in society
but marriage, openly serving, etc..
they want too much too fast
people change on a dime
civilizations, cultures, countries take time

you and your pupils

Why not? Both are/were discriminated against in the military, which makes them EXACTLY alike for the purposes of this topic.

DeeJayH said:
and as i recall minorities were segregated in the military, and eventually were fully integrated, and accepted by most

And this is relevant...how?

DeeJayH said:
and just because you have ' a more enlightened position' does not mean you force it down the throats of those who have volunteered to protect your right to believe what ever you want

As long as I'm paying their salaries, I should be able to insist that they don't discriminate against my fellow citizens.

DeeJayH said:
people change on a dime

It's always "too much too fast." The civil rights movement, the abolition of slavery, women's suffrage, etc. Not everyone gets used to it until AFTER it happens and they realize that civilization hasn't collapsed.

I'm not totally sure because of the male/female only barracks/showers, etc. It would be like letting both use the same stuff, which is not supposed to happen, cause it's creepy. ^^ This is a rushed response but if need be, I'll quote my longer answers in the other thread, so please don't take offense. ^_^

It's always "too much too fast." The civil rights movement, the abolition of slavery, women's suffrage, etc. Not everyone gets used to it until AFTER it happens and they realize that civilization hasn't collapsed.

Yeah, I'm so sure if we had just waited patiently and been meek and compliant, they would've seen the error of their ways and given us rights eventually... when we "proved" we were "mature enough" to handle them. :roll:
Nobody willingly abdicates power.
You don't wait for rights. You fvcking take them.

For everyone who voted yes, I want to know who was actually in the military. I find it hard to believe any of the yeses were.

Let me try and create a little scenario for you.

You are stationed on a ship located somewhere in the Persian gulf. Every division has their own berthing (sometimes there are departmental berthings) where everyone sleeps together. How comfortable would you feel if there is someone standing next to you of the same sex, who you know is gay. He watches you get dressed every morning/night/whenever you are required to wake up.

Would that make you feel uncomfortable? This is just one of many issues.

-Bill Hicks.

Those "dumb" people fight/die for your country so you can sit here and say stupid things like that.

I wonder what the people way too smart to be in the military, like yourself, are doin with their lives.

Last edited:
For everyone who voted yes, I want to know who was actually in the military. I find it hard to believe any of the yeses were.

You are stationed on a ship located somewhere in the Persian gulf. Every division has their own berthing (sometimes there are departmental berthings) where everyone sleeps together. How comfortable would you feel if there is someone standing next to you of the same sex, who you know is gay. He watches you get dressed every morning/night/whenever you are required to wake up.

I'm curious as to what makes so many believe that gay men want to have sex with every man, gay or straight, that they see? This seems to be one of the underlying issues here.

you and your pupils

people change on a dime

So what's your timeline? How soon before discrimination in these areas are addressed and dealt with? Now if we're talking about race, then let's see...blacks, legally, received similar rights to whites in 1870. In reality, many discrimitations were not dismantled until around 1964. 96 years...too fast, too slow, about right? :roll:

Considering I had a gay roommate for two years of college and it was never a problem, it wouldn't bother me at all. And even if it did, that isn't a good enough reason to prevent gays from serving in the military.

The integration of black and women into the military moved slowly from segregation to current norm. When I completed my military career women were not allowed assignment in the 2nd Infantry Division on the Korean DMZ. If you visit the 2nd ID web site now you will see women are assigned to the 2nd ID so one would conclude that women have progressed from the segregated Women's Army Corps... "When I was drafted in 67 women soldiers were in one central barracks and bussed to work areas each morning... these work positions were limited to clerks and hospital workers... there was a fence around the WAC barracks"...

One could conclude that women are socially and culturally accepted and have always been but transition from then to know didn't happen on the turn of a dime. Why should gay people consider themselves instantly equally qualified to serve next to a strait male soldier considering this reality of gradual change involved in integration of blacks and women into the military when they are not universally accepted in culture as women?

Why not? Both are/were discriminated against in the military, which makes them EXACTLY alike for the purposes of this topic.

not at all
women are segregated in the military
sexuality is still an issue, which is completely different than the color of ones skin

I'm curious as to what makes so many believe that gay men want to have sex with every man, gay or straight, that they see? This seems to be one of the underlying issues here.
oh, i dont know, maybe because men are horny pigs
men have a sexual thought about every other minute
men are the biggest whores on the planet, despite us labeling women with that term
I put gays on equal terms with most hetero men in their late teens/twenties
they are horndogs who want to score at every turn
So what's your timeline? How soon before discrimination in these areas are addressed and dealt with? Now if we're talking about race, then let's see...blacks, legally, received similar rights to whites in 1870. In reality, many discrimitations were not dismantled until around 1964. 96 years...too fast, too slow, about right? :roll:
sorry my crystal ball is out being polished
The integration of black and women into the military moved slowly from segregation to current norm. When I completed my military career women were not allowed assignment in the 2nd Infantry Division on the Korean DMZ. If you visit the 2nd ID web site now you will see women are assigned to the 2nd ID so one would conclude that women have progressed from the segregated Women's Army Corps... "When I was drafted in 67 women soldiers were in one central barracks and bussed to work areas each morning... these work positions were limited to clerks and hospital workers... there was a fence around the WAC barracks"...

One could conclude that women are socially and culturally accepted and have always been but transition from then to know didn't happen on the turn of a dime. Why should gay people consider themselves instantly equally qualified to serve next to a strait male soldier considering this reality of gradual change involved in integration of blacks and women into the military when they are not universally accepted in culture as women?
what he said

not at all
women are segregated in the military
sexuality is still an issue, which is completely different than the color of ones skin

Of course skin color is no longer an issue, that's the entire point.

DeeJayH said:
oh, i dont know, maybe because men are horny pigs
men have a sexual thought about every other minute
men are the biggest whores on the planet, despite us labeling women with that term
I put gays on equal terms with most hetero men in their late teens/twenties
they are horndogs who want to score at every turn

So what? Are you worried they're going to rape you?

I didnt say I think every gay man wants to have sex with every man, gay or straight, that they see. I asked if it would make you feel uncomfortable having a gay person watch you get dressed everyday or watch you come out of the shower. Would it make you feel uncomfortable?

-Bill Hicks.

Dumb enough? So the people who served and are now serving in our Military are dumb? What makes a retard like yourself think that?

I voted No because we are not ready for it yet and right now is not the time. (Not until we can get out of Iraq)
It’s going to have to be a slow process. Right now the Brits are working on it and I'm sure the US is watching to prevent any mistakes they make.

yes, I think they should. They should be proud of who they are and not have to hide it.

I asked if it would make you feel uncomfortable having a gay person watch you get dressed everyday or watch you come out of the shower. Would it make you feel uncomfortable?

Well, you didn't ask me but it wouldn't make me uncomforatable having some gay person watch me shower or dress. I have had straight girls see me and I see no difference.
A person has to be pretty concieted to think everyone, gays included, are just dying to see them naked.

Back
Top Bottom