• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Should Biden, Pelosi, And Schumer Recommend All Americans Get The Coronavirus Vaccine?

Should Biden, Pelosi, And Schumer Recommend All Americans Get The Coronavirus Vaccine?

• Total voters
Absolutely. The vaccine will not be released until the trials are complete. So I would think the evidence gathered from them indicate it’s safe and effective. The only possible counter argument would be the fact that the trials were rushed. Are we willing to wait years for what might be considered legitimate trials? I’ll remind people that even drugs approved via normal processes have later been discovered to be faulty.

Rushed trials and expedited trials are different. I see no issue with conducting widespread trials using a virus that has widespread transmission. Given how easy it is to transmit, it is not inconceivable for trials to take less time than normal. Right now, there are reports that they do not have enough volunteers for Phase III trials in many cases. That is when I consider pushing through trials to be rushed and sloppy. Do it right, or do not do it at all.

It's just before the election and Trump has announced that an emergency authorization has been issued for the Coronavirus vaccine and it is available immediately (let's say November 1st). Trump is having a press conference with Dr. Fauci and other health experts - to plead all Americans to go right out and get the vaccine ASAP for the good of the country. Biden and everyone on the left have always said that they are going to follow the science and listen to the experts. The science shows that the vaccine is both safe and effective, even though the process has gone through operation Warp Speed. But, as I said, the science shows it is both safe and effective and Dr. Fauci and other health experts are begging and pleading with Americans to go right out and get vaccinated. Should Biden, flanked on his sides by Schumer and Pelosi, join Trump and the experts on national television just before the election and urge Americans to get the vaccine for the good of the country to end this national health emergency?

It's not a fair question because there's no scientific way that in 60 days a vaccine will be approved and available for the masses. It is impossible. It would be a desperate stunt by Trump to get votes (he knows he's losing and is already desperate). When a vaccine is ready for mass distribution (and the Faucis of the world recommend it) then YES everyone should get it. Hopefully in early 2021 that will happen. I will be ready to get mine!

It wont end this crisis before the election.

That doesn't answer the question. If a safe and effective vaccine is available just before the election do Biden, Schumer, and Pelosi do their patriotic duty by listening to the science and the health experts (like they have already claimed they would) and encourage Americans to get the vaccine?

Rushed trials and expedited trials are different. I see no issue with conducting widespread trials using a virus that has widespread transmission. Given how easy it is to transmit, it is not inconceivable for trials to take less time than normal. Right now, there are reports that they do not have enough volunteers for Phase III trials in many cases. That is when I consider pushing through trials to be rushed and sloppy. Do it right, or do not do it at all.
We basically agree with each other. As long as it’s not sloppy I don’t see how they have an argument for not supporting its release and encouraging people to take it.

That doesn't answer the question. If a safe and effective vaccine is available just before the election do Biden, Schumer, and Pelosi do their patriotic duty by listening to the science and the health experts (like they have already claimed they would) and encourage Americans to get the vaccine?

Yes of course they will recommend it

If if if....

Absolutely. The vaccine will not be released until the trials are complete. So I would think the evidence gathered from them indicate it’s safe and effective. The only possible counter argument would be the fact that the trials were rushed. Are we willing to wait years for what might be considered legitimate trials? I’ll remind people that even drugs approved via normal processes have later been discovered to be faulty.

I don't think phase 3 trials would be completely done by November 1st. However, there have been several occasions where something was shown to be so effective that they cut short the phase 3 trial and made the treatment immediately available. This is the territory we are probably in. However, since there is precedent for this that is scientifically acceptable and, under my hypothetical, the health experts put their stamp of approval on it, that is my question. "Do Biden, Schumer, and Pelosi do as they said they would, accept the science and what the health experts say and encourage Americans to get the vaccine"?

I put my two cents in because I do not see the current methodology as trustworthy. I trust science when it is done correctly. The current state of vaccine development for COVID-19 is rushed and sloppy. When they start doing the science correctly, I will start trusting it.

It doesn't matter a rat's ass what you think. Biden and the left have said they would listen to the science and the health experts. If the science and the health experts say that the vaccine is safe and effective and is available by November 1st, will they listen to the science as they claimed they would?

I don't think phase 3 trials would be completely done by November 1st. However, there have been several occasions where something was shown to be so effective that they cut short the phase 3 trial and made the treatment immediately available. This is the territory we are probably in. However, since there is precedent for this that is scientifically acceptable and, under my hypothetical, the health experts put their stamp of approval on it, that is my question. "Do Biden, Schumer, and Pelosi do as they said they would, accept the science and what the health experts say and encourage Americans to get the vaccine"?
I think I understood your point and therefore under the parameters set by you I see no reason why Pelosi should not encourage people to take it.

It's not a fair question because there's no scientific way that in 60 days a vaccine will be approved and available for the masses. It is impossible. It would be a desperate stunt by Trump to get votes (he knows he's losing and is already desperate). When a vaccine is ready for mass distribution (and the Faucis of the world recommend it) then YES everyone should get it. Hopefully in early 2021 that will happen. I will be ready to get mine!

It is a fair question. If the health experts say the phase 3 trial was so effective that they cut it short in order to help Americans, it wouldn't be unheard of. It has happened before. Do Biden and the left listen to the experts or not? Or, would they rather see people die and Trump lose the election?

It doesn't matter a rat's ass what you think. Biden and the left have said they would listen to the science and the health experts. If the science and the health experts say that the vaccine is safe and effective and is available by November 1st, will they listen to the science as they claimed they would?

Why would I answer your question if it "doesn't matter a rat's ass" what I think? Have a nice day.

I am sure they will recommend that the rest of America get vaccine shots just as soon as they get their first. Maybe Pelosi can get hers after her next hair appointment.

So, you're admitting that I gotcha? You're admitting that after saying you listen to the science and the health experts, you aren't going to? Yes, I did get you.

You didn't "get" anyone. The entire premise is absurd. It's literally impossible. The only people that you'll "get" are the ones stupid enough to say they'll take the shot because Trump told them to.

Do you think Trump would be first on line? Pence? Baron? Ivanka? Mitch McConnell? LOL!

Maybe for your next question you should ask how many people would take a shot of disinfectant if Trump told them to?

It's just before the election and Trump has announced that an emergency authorization has been issued for the Coronavirus vaccine and it is available immediately (let's say November 1st). Trump is having a press conference with Dr. Fauci and other health experts - to plead all Americans to go right out and get the vaccine ASAP for the good of the country. Biden and everyone on the left have always said that they are going to follow the science and listen to the experts. The science shows that the vaccine is both safe and effective, even though the process has gone through operation Warp Speed. But, as I said, the science shows it is both safe and effective and Dr. Fauci and other health experts are begging and pleading with Americans to go right out and get vaccinated. Should Biden, flanked on his sides by Schumer and Pelosi, join Trump and the experts on national television just before the election and urge Americans to get the vaccine for the good of the country to end this national health emergency?

If it's actually been thoroughly tested thru phase 3 human trials. But releasing one Nov 1st, just before the election, is rather suspect.

And to make it more viable for the masses, it should be free, nasal applicator, and widely available at pharmacies, doctors' offices, and clinics.

I know this is hard for you. Basically this is a hypothetical but it is a very real hypothetical. Fauci has already said that he believes a vaccine will be available soon, possibly even in time for November 1st. Do Democrats listen to the science and the experts or was all that just a bunch of political bull?

Fauchi NEVER said that. Tell the truth! Provide a link that quotes Fauci as saying that there will be a vaccine that can be widely distributed by Nov. 1st or stop telling fables.

I believe he is referring to the following.

“If there are a certain amount of infections within a particular trial, it’s conceivable that you could have it by October, but I don’t think that’s likely,” Fauci told CNN.

The director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases stressed that any vaccination would need to clear several hurdles to prove that it’s safe and effective before it’s administered to the public.

“If you look at the projection of the enrollment and the kinds of things you will need to get a decision about whether the vaccine is safe and protective, most of us project that this will be by November [or] December, by the end of the year,” Fauci said (Dr. Fauci says it’s ‘conceivable’ to have COVID-19 vaccine by October).​

Not the same as "mass distribution."

I said the health experts (not team Trump) were going to encourage Americans to get the vaccine because it was both safe and effective. Do Biden, Pelosi, and Schumer join Trump and the health experts on stage just before the election to appeal to all Americans? Or, do they choose not to listen to the experts and let Trump lose the election at the expense of American lives? What's more important?

What's more important is reality, not hypothetical absurdity.

Here's a good example of "rushed to market."

Opinion | Gerald Ford Rushed Out a Vaccine. It Was a Fiasco. - The New York Times

As it turned out, the H1N1 strain never made it out of Fort Dix, where only one Army recruit died. And, as it also turned out, this swine flu was not nearly as virulent as the 1918 influenza.

But fast-tracking the vaccine for broad distribution among the public carried risks. Of the 45 million vaccinated against the swine flu, an estimated 450 people developed the paralyzing syndrome Guillain-Barré and of those, more than 30 died. The National Academy of Medicine subsequently concluded that people who received the 1976 swine flu vaccine had an increased risk for developing Guillain-Barré.

The emergence of Guillain-Barré led the government to suspend and effectively end its mass vaccination effort in December.

It's just before the election and Trump has announced that an emergency authorization has been issued for the Coronavirus vaccine and it is available immediately (let's say November 1st). Trump is having a press conference with Dr. Fauci and other health experts - to plead all Americans to go right out and get the vaccine ASAP for the good of the country. Biden and everyone on the left have always said that they are going to follow the science and listen to the experts. The science shows that the vaccine is both safe and effective, even though the process has gone through operation Warp Speed. But, as I said, the science shows it is both safe and effective and Dr. Fauci and other health experts are begging and pleading with Americans to go right out and get vaccinated. Should
join Trump and the experts on national television just before the election and urge Americans to get the vaccine for the good of the country to end this national health emergency?

Not a very likely scenario.

If Trump is.running the show it is an obvious scam

I wonder just how much control Trump has been able.to get over Dr. Fauci and the CDC. That last dump of.information saying.only 10,000 people have.died from the coronavirus concerns me.

Who can you trust? I believe if Biden and Harris and.Pelosi agreed it.was.safe then it would be

Since it's pretty much impossible to get an adequately test vaccine before the election, Biden and Pelosi's theoretical reaction to a theoretical vaccine is moot. IF Trump wins and IF at some point during Trump's second term a properly vetted vaccine is developed, freely recommended by the scientific community, THEN I have no doubt that Pelosi, Biden and all the Democratic leadership would recommend taking it.

I don't know about impossible. It all depends on how extensive and rational the testing is, and how dramatic the results are.

For example, if before 11/1, the control group has a 2% infection rate and the treated group has a 0% infection rate, and there are no major side effects (the vaccine was already tested for safety in Phase 2), it certainly might be justifiable to approve the vaccine for wider use among at-risk populations, even if that is characterized as a wider-scale trial.

I don't know about impossible. It all depends on how extensive and rational the testing is, and how dramatic the results are.

For example, if before 11/1, the control group has a 2% infection rate and the treated group has a 0% infection rate, and there are no major side effects (the vaccine was already tested for safety in Phase 2), it certainly might be justifiable to approve the vaccine for wider use among at-risk populations, even if that is characterized as a wider-scale trial.

Problem is there was no phase 2. They went directly to phase 3.

Back
Top Bottom