• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Shopkeeper in Zurich tells Oprah she can't afford a $38,000 handbag

Zurich Shopkeeper Tells Oprah $38,000 Handbag ‘Too Expensive’ For Her | News One

People and their preconceived silly notions. Did the clerk NOT see "Pretty Woman"?!

I don't care who you are but Oprah's ugly mug is universal...

I call bullsht here...

Like Oprah isn't immune from lying?

Oprah is lying her ass off yet people believe it.....

The best part is that I saw the exact phrase used in a movie one time "you can't afford that" oh yeah it was in that movie with Julia Roberts where she was a hooker..

I suppose "obscurity" is torture to the black bitch from hell.

Many Euros are quietly quite racist. Swiss are high on the list.:peace

Eh, we have friends who immigrated here from Switzerland a couple of decades back. According to them, there is no real "racism" as we understand it. There is, however, a "class" system based upon language and ethnicity. The French look down on everyone, the Germans look down on the Italians, and everyone looks down on the Romansh... or so it was when they were there, which was the first 50+ years of their lives. However, they still have many relatives there and go back every year. The wife, who is Italian-Swiss, says she still feels like a second-class citizen during their trips. The husband, who is German-Swiss, doesn't know what she is talking about. :lol:

I don't care who you are but Oprah's ugly mug is universal...

I call bullsht here...

Like Oprah isn't immune from lying?

Oprah is lying her ass off yet people believe it.....

The best part is that I saw the exact phrase used in a movie one time "you can't afford that" oh yeah it was in that movie with Julia Roberts where she was a hooker..

I suppose "obscurity" is torture to the black bitch from hell.

That was "Pretty Woman" as oh look, I stated in the very first post.

If she still had a show, maybe she would. But that doesn't mean she was actually going to buy the purse at the store in Switzerland. If you can show me any source that claims Winfrey actually bought the purse somewhere else, I'll accept your claim that the clerk made a stupid move costing her commissions.

Yeah, sorry. I'm not actually caring what your opinion is.

Eh, we have friends who immigrated here from Switzerland a couple of decades back. According to them, there is no real "racism" as we understand it. There is, however, a "class" system based upon language and ethnicity. The French look down on everyone, the Germans look down on the Italians, and everyone looks down on the Romansh... or so it was when they were there, which was the first 50+ years of their lives. However, they still have many relatives there and go back every year. The wife, who is Italian-Swiss, says she still feels like a second-class citizen during their trips. The husband, who is German-Swiss, doesn't know what she is talking about. :lol:

Most of them never face the question because they meet few non-whites. But get them out in the Third World and watch what happens.:peace

I can't get the article to load, but what exactly makes people think its a racial thing?

Also who the hell buys a 38,000 dollar hand bag?
Not black women in Switzerland.
But seriously, I am no fan of Oprah. But I would have loved to see the look on her face when she was told to put it down.
For real, she should have just whipped out one of her Amex Black cards and bought the whole damn place and demoted the dummy to janitor.

Not black women in Switzerland.
But seriously, I am no fan of Oprah. But I would have loved to see the look on her face when she was told to put it down.
For real, she should have just whipped out one of her Amex Black cards and bought the whole damn place and demoted the dummy to janitor.

She wasn't told to put it down it down. She wasn't allowed to touch it.

Serves her right..I hope that bought her right back down to earth..

Her face is bloated..she is fat, and looked really badly dressed..

Unfortunately for Oprah, she is not held in the same esteem in Europe as in the US..and of course ''racism'' had to come into it...Maybe a white bag lady should try it..

Oprah is the biggest racist in the world..
Another clueless rant, I see.

I can't get the article to load, but what exactly makes people think its a racial thing?

Someone who has too much money to spend and has no sense of value. The cost of material and workmanship does not come close to the price tag. I think it's the name that the buyer is looking for. A nice set of Louis Vuitton or Gucci or Fendi luggage will not even come close. And they are much prettier to look at.

Oprah... and other TV/movie stars.

Oprah... and other TV/movie stars.

It's shameful, in my opinion. Kids starve to death every single day in this country, and this woman is butthurt because somebody won't sell her a purse that costs more than most people make in a year.

It's shameful, in my opinion. Kids starve to death every single day in this country, and this woman is butthurt because somebody won't sell her a purse that costs more than most people make in a year.

I don't blame rich people for buying expensive things. I don't think we should. Let them have the expensive things. Oprah does give a lot to charity I imagine. I don't know how much, but I sure as hell bet that 38000$ isn't going to be significant in the pool of money she already gives away. I googled on the internet, said she gives or gave a total of 41mil $. I can't verify this but it seems about right.

If she wouldn't give to charity, then yes, her head should be on a totem poll somewhere as a sign of ignorance and malice. But that's not the case.

I am a free market conservative who disdains class warfare and envy. Saying that,a $35,000 bag?

I am a free market conservative who disdains class warfare and envy. Saying that,a $35,000 bag?

A purse is an accessory - this is funny, really; how many people are reacting to the price tag instead of the situation. I probably could have done a better thread that way.

Yes. A $38k purse. The most expensive wallet I could find was $825, and that is likely because it stays in the man's pocket. But there are people like Oprah who damn near literally have money to burn, and apparently there are $38k purses for people like her to burn said money on. People like her - not actually her. ;)

Poor Oprah.

This reminds me of a story.

A friend of mine back in the '70s would dress down, pants and a white t-shirt and would go to Cadillac dealers with a pocket full of cash. The first salesman that would actually talk to him and wait on him would get the sale. Add to the fact that he was Mexican, I guess he still is, and you can see that not many Cadillac salesmen would talk to him.

It usually took 3 or 4 dealerships before he could buy his car.

I doubt it was racist. She got pissed because she wasn't recognized and catered to. It is an ego thing. really, who cares?

Oprah racism claims 'absolutely untrue' and a 'horror,' says Swiss shop clerk - TODAY.com

"I even asked her if she wanted to take a closer look at the bag. Mrs. (sic) Winfrey looked around in the store again, but did not say anything further," Adriana told the paper. "Then she went downstairs with her companion. My colleague held the door open for them. They were not even five minutes in our store."

Winfrey and Adriana clearly have differing opinions about what happened in that store visit, not just in outcome, but details. For one thing, Winfrey told Entertainment Tonight that she had left her hotel and gone to the store alone: "It's just me, by myself (out shopping); Stedman (Graham, Winfrey's longtime companion) wasn't there, and Gayle (King, Winfrey's friend) was not there, no friends, I'm out by myself."

But Adriana is clear: Winfrey "was accompanied by a friend, it might also have been her bodyguard, I don't know. He held the door open for her."

Oprah has also apologized that the story blew up. I personally think she just made up some details to help garner some attention for her new movie. Isn't the movie about racism too?

Meanwhile, while on the red carpet for a screening of "Lee Daniels' The Butler" Monday, Winfrey spoke about the surprising way the anecdote had become headline news. "I'm really sorry that it got blown up," she said. "I purposefully did not mention the name of the store. I'm sorry that I said it was Switzerland."

Seems that "Adrianna" has differing accounts of what happened in the store too... from your links -

"My colleague held the door open for them. They were not even five minutes in our store."

and then - Winfrey "was accompanied by a friend, it might also have been her bodyguard, I don't know. He held the door open for her."

I also love how people have been obviously swayed by photos of Oprah in sweatpants when the reports all speak of Oprah wearing a Donna Karan outfit at the store. The Switzerland photo is of Oprah with her three friends while she specifically says (and repeats time and again in different interviews) that she was by herself at the store.

The only person who can come out of this well is Tom Ford - if I were him, the marketing coup is to sell or donate one of the bags to Oprah.

Back
Top Bottom