• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sheriff: Limestone County woman pulls pistol on man trying to attack her on I-65

Bum

I survived. Suck it, Schrodinger.
Dungeon Master
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
An Elkmont woman pulled her pistol on a man after law enforcement says he chased her and tried to run her vehicle off I-65.
34-year-old Charles Baker is now at the Limestone County Jail on domestic violence reckless endangerment and possession of controlled substance charges. Deputies said an altercation between him and woman got physical on Sunday.
The fight began at his home on Roberts Road in Elkmont.
The female victim tried to get away from Baker by leaving the residence.
Court documents say Baker followed the victim up Interstate 65 North and ran her vehicle off the road while chasing her. It also says the incident could have caused injury or damage to the victim or other drivers.
Baker tried to stop her and get in front of her vehicle. That's when deputies say she pulled her pistol on him. He fled the scene after seeing her gun

No means no.

Sheriff: Limestone County woman pulls pistol on man trying to attack her on I-65

In the flyover state of Nebraska...

A Lincoln man is in custody after Lincoln Police say he broke into a home on the 1400 block of E Street.
21-year-old Oscar Mendoza was arrested, after LPD says he entered a home intoxicated.
Police say the homeowner then pepper-sprayed Mendoza, pulled out a gun, shot a warning shot and restrained Mendoza until police arrived.

Lincoln man arrested after being pepper-sprayed and restrained by homeowner - KLKN-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Lincoln, NE; KLKNTV.com

In Washington;

GRAYS HARBOR COUNTY, Wash. – An armed home intruder was shot and killed by one of the home’s residents Wednesday night, according to the Grays Harbor Sheriff’s Office.
The shooting happened when deputies say a 47-year-old man broke into the house near the town of McCleary around 9:30 p.m.
The suspect was armed with a knife, and he was confronted by a man who lived in the house. As the two fought, a 36-year-old woman – who investigators say had a restraining order on the suspect – retrieved a gun and killed the suspect.
No arrests have been made as the sheriff’s office believes the shooting was in self-defense.

Suspect is now considered permanently restrained.

Woman shoots and kills home intruder armed with knife in Grays Harbor County | Q13 FOX News

Michigan;

A homeowner shot and killed a home invasion suspect in Ionia County, Michigan, on New Year’s Day.
The Ionia County Sheriff’s Office (ISCO) reports that the suspect broke into the home around 10:30 p.m., claiming someone was pursuing him.
ICSO notes:
The homeowner of the residence, once arming himself with a firearm went outside with the man but could not locate anyone or any evidence that anyone else was outside or had been chasing the intruder when he came into their home uninvited. When the parties re-entered the home a short time later, the man reportedly began acting very erratically and became very angry with the homeowner, and then assaulted the homeowner.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...shoots-kills-intrusion-suspect-new-years-day/

An Elkmont woman pulled her pistol on a man after law enforcement says he chased her and tried to run her vehicle off I-65.
34-year-old Charles Baker is now at the Limestone County Jail on domestic violence reckless endangerment and possession of controlled substance charges. Deputies said an altercation between him and woman got physical on Sunday.
The fight began at his home on Roberts Road in Elkmont.
The female victim tried to get away from Baker by leaving the residence.
Court documents say Baker followed the victim up Interstate 65 North and ran her vehicle off the road while chasing her. It also says the incident could have caused injury or damage to the victim or other drivers.
Baker tried to stop her and get in front of her vehicle. That's when deputies say she pulled her pistol on him. He fled the scene after seeing her gun

No means no.

In the flyover state of Nebraska...

A Lincoln man is in custody after Lincoln Police say he broke into a home on the 1400 block of E Street.
21-year-old Oscar Mendoza was arrested, after LPD says he entered a home intoxicated.
Police say the homeowner then pepper-sprayed Mendoza, pulled out a gun, shot a warning shot and restrained Mendoza until police arrived.

Lincoln man arrested after being pepper-sprayed and restrained by homeowner - KLKN-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Lincoln, NE; KLKNTV.com

In Washington;

GRAYS HARBOR COUNTY, Wash. – An armed home intruder was shot and killed by one of the home’s residents Wednesday night, according to the Grays Harbor Sheriff’s Office.
The shooting happened when deputies say a 47-year-old man broke into the house near the town of McCleary around 9:30 p.m.
The suspect was armed with a knife, and he was confronted by a man who lived in the house. As the two fought, a 36-year-old woman – who investigators say had a restraining order on the suspect – retrieved a gun and killed the suspect.
No arrests have been made as the sheriff’s office believes the shooting was in self-defense.

Suspect is now considered permanently restrained.

Woman shoots and kills home intruder armed with knife in Grays Harbor County | Q13 FOX News

Michigan;

A homeowner shot and killed a home invasion suspect in Ionia County, Michigan, on New Year’s Day.
The Ionia County Sheriff’s Office (ISCO) reports that the suspect broke into the home around 10:30 p.m., claiming someone was pursuing him.
ICSO notes:
The homeowner of the residence, once arming himself with a firearm went outside with the man but could not locate anyone or any evidence that anyone else was outside or had been chasing the intruder when he came into their home uninvited. When the parties re-entered the home a short time later, the man reportedly began acting very erratically and became very angry with the homeowner, and then assaulted the homeowner.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/...shoots-kills-intrusion-suspect-new-years-day/

More evidence of the endemic violence, mental illness, and substance abuse plagueing america. Having to fight to defend your life is a terrible, traumatizing situation to be in, and killing another human being is even harder. I wish there were some better way that our society could address these issues.

More evidence of the endemic violence, mental illness, and substance abuse plagueing america. Having to fight to defend your life is a terrible, traumatizing situation to be in, and killing another human being is even harder. I wish there were some better way that our society could address these issues.

Permanently removing violent predators from society seems like the better way. What, exactly, did you have in mind?

Permanently removing violent predators from society seems like the better way. What, exactly, did you have in mind?

Is the world in your head divided into people worthy of life, and violent predators? In my experience it is not so black and white. Some people need help early on, for mental health, or substance abuse, family history, etc, and in general our society is terrible at providing such assistance or even realizing when there is obviously a problem long before violence becomes inevitable.

This is why I support an approach with an emphasis on early treatment, more funding for youth and mental health services, substance abuse treatment, and other services. However I also see the merit of measures like red flag laws, and stronger gun control in areas which have little to none.

Is the world in your head divided into people worthy of life, and violent predators? In my experience it is not so black and white. Some people need help early on, for mental health, or substance abuse, family history, etc, and in general our society is terrible at providing such assistance or even realizing when there is obviously a problem long before violence becomes inevitable.

This is why I support an approach with an emphasis on early treatment, more funding for youth and mental health services, substance abuse treatment, and other services. However I also see the merit of measures like red flag laws, and stronger gun control in areas which have little to none.

Many of the areas where gun laws are "little to none" are so because gun problems are little to none.

We tried with 3 strikes.... Only to have our politicians write "early out" laws releasing folks back to prey on the innocent.

Three strikes requires (at least) two additional victims (and convictions). ;)

Contrary to what police, politicians and the public believe about the effectiveness of California’s three-strikes law, research by a University of California, Riverside criminologist has found that the get-tough-on-criminals policy voters approved in 1994 has done nothing to reduce the crime rate.

In a rigorous analysis of crime in California and the nation, sociology professor Robert Nash Parker determined that crime has been decreasing at about the same rate in every state for 20 years, regardless of whether three-strikes policies are in place or not.

Evidence does not support three-strikes law as crime deterrent | News

Contrary to what police, politicians and the public believe about the effectiveness of California’s three-strikes law, research by a University of California, Riverside criminologist has found that the get-tough-on-criminals policy voters approved in 1994 has done nothing to reduce the crime rate.

In a rigorous analysis of crime in California and the nation, sociology professor Robert Nash Parker determined that crime has been decreasing at about the same rate in every state for 20 years, regardless of whether three-strikes policies are in place or not.

You are focused on the wrong thing. Longer sentences may not act as a deterrent, but they do remove the violent predator from society for a longer period of time - thus reducing their total victim count. Recidivism rates are terrible and do not get better by issuing shorter sentences.

You are focused on the wrong thing. Longer sentences may not act as a deterrent, but they do remove the violent predator from society for a longer period of time - thus reducing their total victim count. Recidivism rates are terrible and do not get better by issuing shorter sentences.

Things will never get better because the US is a violent nation with a violent culture ingrained in its history.

Because sentencing scum to hard time on their second felony is heartless. (End sarcasm)

Yep, the judge just can't be sure that a violent offender is truly evil until they receive a third (felony?) conviction. ;)

Nobody cares what some liberal egghead at university says. You can tell from the last paragraph of the article that he began his study with the conclusion in mind. Anyone who uses the term “school to prison pipeline” is an idealouge and not an impartial researcher

Three strikes laws were implemented in many states. And it is very effective. It is impossible to commit a fourth crime if you are in prison for number 3.

Many of the areas where gun laws are "little to none" are so because gun problems are little to none.

I know that, I live in such an area. However it is still a risk, and movements have been made to reform recently and restrict youth access to firearms because of an incident which could have potentially become a school shooting. Even one person can cause quite a bit of damage in a short amount of time with a gun. We don't want people dying if we can prevent it, and it is precisely because we normally have so little violence that we are sensitive to it.

There's zero merit in either of those.

A ban on guns ?

Things will never get better because the US is a violent nation with a violent culture ingrained in its history.

A former Supreme Court justice has said that no meaningful gun control can ever happen in the USA until the 2nd amendment is repealed.

Nobody cares what some liberal egghead at university says. You can tell from the last paragraph of the article that he began his study with the conclusion in mind. Anyone who uses the term “school to prison pipeline” is an idealouge and not an impartial researcher

Three strikes laws were implemented in many states. And it is very effective. It is impossible to commit a fourth crime if you are in prison for number 3.

It's impossible to commit a gun crime if you have no gun.

Back
Top Bottom