• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Settle For Biden

Hypothetical
Huntsman/AOC on a 3rd party ticket. Would you still vote Biden/______?
Of course it won't happen, because we rather play it safe instead of promoting suitable candidates to run 3rd party. Who's fault is that?

On planet Earth, Trump or Biden will be President come January 20, 2021. It's not going to be anybody else.

Voting for an old white guy because he isn't Trump is what exactly? Is that really all we got? Lame.

I can't believe the country is still hung up on the old white guy thing. It's like they unconsciously believe they are all the reincarnated founding fathers.

I come across these phrases and images every election cycle. Tell me again why, in a land with over 300 mil people, we choose between 2 parties/candidates? This isn't about Trump, because every 4 years we are being told that "a vote for a 3rd party is a vote for _____" over and over and over again.

Duverger's law. If your dream is 20 viable candidates running for a single office, then your dream is for a president to take office with, what, 10% of the vote? And if fifteen of those candidates have more-or-less overlapping world views and ideologies (ideologies that say have majority support), they split and dilute the majority vote and a candidate unacceptable to most voters sneaks through? With 10% of the vote?

Better for like-minded people to consolidate behind one candidate broadly acceptable to most of them and field that candidate. Requires compromise. But it happens all the time. See the Dem primary six months ago when a bunch of similar candidates going nowhere dropped out and endorsed Biden to thwart Bernie's "win with 25% of the vote" strategy. Had they done nothing, the party would've ended up with a candidate most of its voters didn't want. By whittling to a two-candidate race, the will of the majority of the party's voters was realized in Biden, not Bernie.

As long as there's one slot and we give it to the top vote-getter, this will always be the logic of the situation. When it's ignored (e.g., in the 2010 Maine gubernatorial race when the very similar Dem and Independent candidates split 55% of the vote and LePage snuck through with the support of just over a third of the state's voters), elections don't result in majority viewpoints being represented.

Hypothetical
Huntsman/AOC on a 3rd party ticket. Would you still vote Biden/______?
Of course it won't happen, because we rather play it safe instead of promoting suitable candidates to run 3rd party. Who's fault is that?
It is not up to the voter, but up to the candidate as I said in a previous post. Wasting my vote on an unknown is like not voting at all

Hilarious, you can't actually write out one thing you believe Trump is corrupt on. I would be afraid to put it in writing as well. Someoneike me will dismantle it toot sweet.

So you can’t read. Typical trump supporter

Have some balls and vote 3rd instead of settling.

Any vote NOT for Biden gives Donny Malarkey Trump a greater chance to sabotage this election.

Step up and VOTE FOR our way of life, FOR our Constitution, FOR our Future, FOR AMERICA!

smiling joe 2020.jpgBiden2020.jpg

We need to VOTE for Joe Biden in numbers too great to **** with!

Attachments

• President Biden.jpg
    President Biden.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 21
You can get rid of any President easily by voting. I mean you guys know this already just look at how you want to have all mail in votes in order to steal it. You then call Trump the mafia with a straight face. Do you guys ever grasp how you all appear to normal people?

^ yet another person who has been conned into thinking that mail in votes will make Trump the victim (even though we've had mail in votes seemingly forever).

good job. you're the "mark" they're looking for.

If everyone had some balls instead of idle talk, this would be a win for our country.

I'm actually going to say, without reading anything that follows, that you have a point here. You do. You're just off with your timing. Getting rid of Trump is the most important thing on America's agenda right now. After that you can deal with the democrats. Replacing both parties would certainly be a win for your country.

Biden is more than fine. You might as well believe the crazy nonsense that Hillary had some “serious health issues” in 2016, or that she was running a pedophilia ring out of a pizza joint in DC. It’s all nonsense. What next, you are going to sign up for Trump U or spend another 6 years looking for Obama’s secret birth certificate?

Voting 3rd party in this critically important election, where Trump MUST absolutely go, is insane advice.

I wouldn't be surprised if the percentage of 3rd party voters is much lower this election than in 2016.

Exactly what happened in 2016. Third party voters with balls ( mostly Bernie voters).and those who just didn’t vote at all. Now look what we got. Hillary was a terrible candidate, but would have made a great president. She was the most experienced person we ever had to run for president, but too many people refused to vote for her. I wonder how many people regret that now.

I did vote for her, no way I was going to vote for an ignorant sleazy conman media whore like Trump. Obviously not all of those people regret voting third party in '16, now....because they still have sour grapes and are still voting for a loss of their candidate and a win for Trump.

I give a lot of credit to those who did go that route in '16, and are now going to cast their vote for Joe Biden, to save the USA from going down the toilet under Trump for four more years.

Biden is more than fine. You might as well believe the crazy nonsense that Hillary had some “serious health issues” in 2016, or that she was running a pedophilia ring out of a pizza joint in DC. It’s all nonsense. What next, you are going to sign up for Trump U or spend another 6 years looking for Obama’s secret birth certificate?

Voting 3rd party in this critically important election, where Trump MUST absolutely go, is insane advice.

Couldn't agree more, well said!

...or Bernie.

Close enough. Biden formed a coalition with Warren and Sanders supporters by adopting a huge swath of their platforms.

that poster image is a damn lie.

a vote for Trump is a vote for all americans.

BS! What you're saying is a damn lie! A vote for Trump is a vote for Mr. Putin, his Master. Putin is smiling now at all the unpatriotic trash in this country who will try to put his useful idiot in office again, so he can reach his goal of destroying America.....wake up and see the reality for once. :roll:

attachment.php

BS! What you're saying is a damn lie! A vote for Trump is a vote for Mr. Putin, his Master. Putin is smiling now at all the unpatriotic trash in this country who will try to put his useful idiot in office again, so he can reach his goal of destroying America.....wake up and see the reality for once. :roll:

That Putin is somehow Trump's master is an extraordinary view.

You are right they are separate issues. I am not going to knowingly waste my vote for President doing work that does not need doing. Biden does not need it in Oregon. the Green party does to get closer to that 5%. Nothing about casting it green, precludes me from 'fighting for ranked voting'

I understand if you prioritize helping the Greens hit 5% over the small chance your vote would matter for Biden. I was just saying that the main fight for making third parties viable is in changing the voting system, and as we agree, that in the meantime anywhere votes for Biden are needed, that that's the right vote.

That Putin is somehow Trump's master is an extraordinary view.

Extraordinary how? If you mean the claim trump has served Putin since before the election is extraordinary, that's completely wrong. If you mean that the clear fact that our president is serving Putin is an extraordinary situation, yes, it is. We don't know why yet exactly, but there's a decent chance after trump is out of office, Putin will release dirt on him to embarrass the US and further erode our confidence in our democracy. We'll see. Investigations might find more also.

It does appear clear that Putin helped trump financially, laundering money to him, in a way that fits a pattern of Russian grooming of assets.

But the specifics, the whole list of aid, any agreements made, are not known, and some details might never be known unless Putin releases them.

We also don't know the role trump wanting future business in Russia might play; he had planned his largest property in Moscow and presumably that could still happen. But we have seen trump constantly praise Putin, fight for Putin's agenda, fight all sanctions on Putin, and side with Putin over US Intelligence agencies and the national interest, and against our allies.

Denying Russian interference in elections, not condemning Russian assassinations such as in England, not condemning Russia's invasion of Crimea and war on Ukraine, denying Putin's bounties on US troops, betraying the Kurds to withdraw our protections and leave them to slaughter by Syria increasing Putin's power, on and on.

Replacing both parties would certainly be a win for your country.

That doesn't really make any sense. Replacing both parties would just lead to the same situation, because the things that cause the two parties haven't changed. What we need is not to 'get rid of the two parties', but systemic reforms, from the corporate media, to money allowed to have dominant power, to voting mechanics, to reducing plutocracy, etc.

If everyone had some balls instead of idle talk, this would be a win for our country.

How would it be a win if said third party president has little or no support down-ticket?
This is the failure of US third party politics, thinking it is possible to start at the very top instead of filling in crucial support as a foundation to crown at the top.
And that is why third parties NEVER win POTUS elections and probably never will...unless and until Americans learn to stop putting the cart before the horse.
Your third party vote is both a mockery, a selfish feel good gesture and a vote for Trump.

But the one thing it isn't, is a vote for President.

k8c5hgsau8t21.jpg

I did vote for her, no way I was going to vote for an ignorant sleazy conman media whore like Trump. Obviously not all of those people regret voting third party in '16, now....because they still have sour grapes and are still voting for a loss of their candidate and a win for Trump.

I give a lot of credit to those who did go that route in '16, and are now going to cast their vote for Joe Biden, to save the USA from going down the toilet under Trump for four more years.

True that. I applaud the Settle for Biden campaign

That’s funny, but the fact of the matter is that he’s coming in on a far more progressive platform than Barack Obama. Was Biden my first choice? No, but even just taking possible Democratic candidates into account, you can do waaaayyyy worse than Joe Biden.

I mean that really isn't saying much, and a lot of it has to do with progressive arm twisting, and in general growth and pressure from the FDR wing within the party, rather than being a product of Biden's own initiatives.

Also, Obama at least entertained the idea of singlepayer versus stating he'd veto it outright... even if it passed the House and Senate somehow. And promised change... versus telling his donors that nothing fundamentally would, and that he would not pass legislation to force better corporate behaviour immediately after pointing out their failure to self-govern and the necessity of changing their ways, casting much of Biden's platform into doubt to be frank.

As to candidates more conservative than Biden, let's keep it real, they didn't have a chance.

Again, the advocacy is effective not just because it is funny, but because it is sober and grounded and avoids the breathless, noxious jersey wearing bull**** and willful blindness to Biden's flaws I've seen from the majority of his ads and promotional material.

Last edited:
Extraordinary how? If you mean the claim trump has served Putin since before the election is extraordinary, that's completely wrong. If you mean that the clear fact that our president is serving Putin is an extraordinary situation, yes, it is.

Saying that Putin is Trump's master is a ludicrous claim.

Back
Top Bottom