• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Season Approaches: U.S. Hits Record 127 Months Since Major Hurricane Strike

Did you even read the article? China is hardly planning anything, and India is planning to do nothing.

Your point (did you forget you had one? it was a full ten minutes ago) was that 'no one is talking about China and India'.,

I just showed you an article describing how China and India are under increased international pressure to get a plan to curb carbon emissions.

You now change to whining about how they arent 'hardly planning'.

Not really, but dramatic short term changes are definitely not what one wants to see.

Its like asking 'what is the perfect amount of speed for this airplane? It kinds depends where in the flight path you are. But dropping from 600mph to 100mph mid flight is definitely not a good thing.

If there's no baseline number for what is considered the proper amount of ice, how do we know what too much melting or accumulation would be?

The angle of the sun would definitely affect the rate of melt and accumulation.

If there's no baseline number for what is considered the proper amount of ice, how do we know what too much melting or accumulation would be?

The angle of the sun would definitely affect the rate of melt and accumulation.

IF there is no baseline number for the proper airspeed, how do we know if the speed drops under the flight envelope?

And yes, angle of the sun effets the rate. Not sure why the angle should change much over a few decades, but maybe you have some idea.

IF there is no baseline number for the proper airspeed, how do we know if the speed drops under the flight envelope?

And yes, angle of the sun effets the rate. Not sure why the angle should change much over a few decades, but maybe you have some idea.

Are we sure it's a smooth transition? "Wobble" doesn't sound very steady.

Other effects would include altitude, weather [humidity, temperature, barometric pressure, wind speed, etc] or pollutants on the surface.

Other effects would include altitude, weather [humidity, temperature, barometric pressure, wind speed, etc] or pollutants on the surface.

Well, there you go.

The word 'wobble' sounds unsteady, so therefore scientists telling us CO2 is a major problem must not be thinking about this issue real hard.

Well, there you go.

The word 'wobble' sounds unsteady, so therefore scientists telling us CO2 is a major problem must not be thinking about this issue real hard.

I believe they put a baseline number into the calculations that fit their agenda and have to live with it if nothing happens.

I thought Hurricane Sandy was a Cat 3 hurricane, at least at one point, and in 2012 is was so destructive it helped get President Obama reelected, so I'd say that was a pretty devastating storm.

I thought Hurricane Sandy was a Cat 3 hurricane, at least at one point, and in 2012 is was so destructive it helped get President Obama reelected, so I'd say that was a pretty devastating storm.

Those would be 'facts', and it's pretty clear the OP wants nothing to do with those types of things.

No silly, Climate, changes. Man isn't to blame.

Like I said. You think magic makes it impossible for humans to affect climate.

It's exactly as accurate a statement as when you said your bit about government regulating climate. You either believe in magic, or both statements are wrong.

Did I say that? Can you name something?

You were unclear, which is why I keep asking for clarification and you wont answer a question directly.

You said this "makes more sense than other drivers," but why? I pushed for clarification, you said because this affects the whole earth. Why bring that up?

And yes, absolutely I can name things that affect the whole planet.

1) In addition to obliquity changes your link discusses, there are also regular changes in axial precession, eccentricity, and inclination that affect how much sunlight hits the earth, and at what times of the year.
2) CO2/methane/other greenhouse gas concentrations
3) Aerosols reflecting sunlight back into space
4) The sun's own cycle of activity
5) Cosmic rays affecting cloud development (although we don't know a lot about the impact yet)
6) Volcanic activity on a sufficient scale causes short-term cooling as the ash blocks out some sunlight. (think Pinatubo or St. Helens)

Orbital factors are quite smooth and quite predictable. At least on human time scales. Changes over a few decades are immeasurably small.

Say it with me: "America is not the world. America is not the world. America is not the world."

And no one claimed that the prediction of increased hurricane intensity/number had to occur within a set amount of time - and certainly not one arbitrarily set by individuals that are more likely to disbelieve global warming in the first place.

How much do you want to bet that if 2016 is a big year for hurricanes in America, you or one of your chicken little, doomsayer pals will start multiple 'see I told you climate change means more hurricanes' threads? Katrina, we were told, was just the beginning of a new nightmare of disastrous, AGW spawned hurricanes. It didn't happen so you guys change the subject. The first bad hurricane season we have and every one of you fear mongers will be all over it.

How much do you want to bet that if 2016 is a big year for hurricanes in America, you or one of your chicken little, doomsayer pals will start multiple 'see I told you climate change means more hurricanes' threads? Katrina, we were told, was just the beginning of a new nightmare of disastrous, AGW spawned hurricanes. It didn't happen so you guys change the subject. The first bad hurricane season we have and every one of you fear mongers will be all over it.

I have no interest in taking that bet because I know that I won't be the one to make the thread.

And if someone else does, I will join the rest of the folks that are currently touting the lack of a hurricane in America as proof that climate change doesn't exist by noting to that person the exact same **** I just said in the post you quoted.

2016 will be the new hottest year on record. 2015 was the previous hottest year on record. 2014 was the hottest year on record before then. The last ten years have been the hottest ten year period of record. The same goes for the last twenty years. The current CO2 concentration has not been seen since before humans existed and the rate at which the CO2 concentration rose is roughly 50 times faster than will occur naturally.

There are plenty of legitimate facts that should make you afraid. We don't need to resort to making some direct link between a specific hurricane season in a specific geographical region to global warming.

When I was in middle school they taught that nature occurs in cycles. When I learned to sail I learned the ocean, waves and tides occur in cycles, or patterns. We also learned that the seventh wave is the biggest, the first the smallest and a big wave out of that sequence is called a "rogue wave".

This fact of so few hurricanes if any hardly at all and mild at that proves one thing for sure. Hurricanes occur in patterns.

You were unclear, which is why I keep asking for clarification and you wont answer a question directly.

You said this "makes more sense than other drivers," but why? I pushed for clarification, you said because this affects the whole earth. Why bring that up?

And yes, absolutely I can name things that affect the whole planet.

1) In addition to obliquity changes your link discusses, there are also regular changes in axial precession, eccentricity, and inclination that affect how much sunlight hits the earth, and at what times of the year.
2) CO2/methane/other greenhouse gas concentrations
3) Aerosols reflecting sunlight back into space
4) The sun's own cycle of activity
5) Cosmic rays affecting cloud development (although we don't know a lot about the impact yet)
6) Volcanic activity on a sufficient scale causes short-term cooling as the ash blocks out some sunlight. (think Pinatubo or St. Helens)

Orbital factors are quite smooth and quite predictable. At least on human time scales. Changes over a few decades are immeasurably small.

No magnitic field anomolies?

Those would be 'facts', and it's pretty clear the OP wants nothing to do with those types of things.

I don't think the OP was trying to be misleading - perhaps the cited article was, but I'm not sure it is. It is clear, however, that the Cat level of a hurricane doesn't tell the entire story about the amount of damage it can do depending on where it hits. A Cat 5 hurricane in the middle of the Atlantic that never hits ground wouldn't do much damage while a Cat 1 that hits vulnerable lowlands could be quite damaging. It's similar to the simplicity that's attempted in much of the climate change back and forth, on both sides or the argument.

And you have to admit that one of the main arguments when Al Gore was travelling the world bleating was that hurricanes and other weather events would be more numerous and more severe and that's hardly been the case in the past 2 decades so mocking those predictions is fair game.

I don't think the OP was trying to be misleading - perhaps the cited article was, but I'm not sure it is. It is clear, however, that the Cat level of a hurricane doesn't tell the entire story about the amount of damage it can do depending on where it hits. A Cat 5 hurricane in the middle of the Atlantic that never hits ground wouldn't do much damage while a Cat 1 that hits vulnerable lowlands could be quite damaging. It's similar to the simplicity that's attempted in much of the climate change back and forth, on both sides or the argument.

And you have to admit that one of the main arguments when Al Gore was travelling the world bleating was that hurricanes and other weather events would be more numerous and more severe and that's hardly been the case in the past 2 decades so mocking those predictions is fair game.

Yes. Only those simple thinking scientists would think that adding a ridiculous amount of heat to the earth's atmosphere and oceans would make weather events more intense and numerous.

The most common fallacy in discussing extreme weather events + Update « RealClimate

No magnitic field anomolies?

... did you expect me to summarize four decades of climate research in a 5000 character forum post?

I have no interest in taking that bet because I know that I won't be the one to make the thread.

And if someone else does, I will join the rest of the folks that are currently touting the lack of a hurricane in America as proof that climate change doesn't exist by noting to that person the exact same **** I just said in the post you quoted.

2016 will be the new hottest year on record. 2015 was the previous hottest year on record. 2014 was the hottest year on record before then. The last ten years have been the hottest ten year period of record. The same goes for the last twenty years. The current CO2 concentration has not been seen since before humans existed and the rate at which the CO2 concentration rose is roughly 50 times faster than will occur naturally.

There are plenty of legitimate facts that should make you afraid. We don't need to resort to making some direct link between a specific hurricane season in a specific geographical region to global warming.

Well, we will see about that. Were you critical of those who claimed the Canada fires were AGW related? I doubt it. Because you probably think they were. And I don't blame you for not taking the bet. You know as well as I do that if this is a bad hurricane season, there will be plenty of left wing alarmists who will point to AGW as the cause.

Oh, and the 'legitimate facts' do not make me ;afraid.' I know that is the goal of you fear mongers and it must infuriate you that it doesn't work. The truth is, I fear your 'solutions' to the supposed problem more than the supposed problem. Besides, I enjoy warm weather and I hope that the next decade is warmer than this one. In fact, I am going to do everything I can to help make that happen. You can thank me later.

When I was in middle school they taught that nature occurs in cycles. When I learned to sail I learned the ocean, waves and tides occur in cycles, or patterns. We also learned that the seventh wave is the biggest, the first the smallest and a big wave out of that sequence is called a "rogue wave".

This fact of so few hurricanes if any hardly at all and mild at that proves one thing for sure. Hurricanes occur in patterns.

I used to believe the 7th wave theory myself until I realized that sets can have as few as 2, and as many as 20 waves in a set/group.

Well, we will see about that. Were you critical of those who claimed the Canada fires were AGW related? I doubt it. Because you probably think they were. And I don't blame you for not taking the bet. You know as well as I do that if this is a bad hurricane season, there will be plenty of left wing alarmists who will point to AGW as the cause.

Oh, and the 'legitimate facts' do not make me ;afraid.' I know that is the goal of you fear mongers and it must infuriate you that it doesn't work. The truth is, I fear your 'solutions' to the supposed problem more than the supposed problem. Besides, I enjoy warm weather and I hope that the next decade is warmer than this one. In fact, I am going to do everything I can to help make that happen. You can thank me later.
No one ever bothers to mention the fact that many people live in places where heat is continuous all year round and they manage to survive.

I used to believe the 7th wave theory myself until I realized that sets can have as few as 2, and as many as 20 waves in a set/group.
7th wave is an old wives (and my mum's) tale which I checked out when I was in my early teens, on a day when I had nothing better to do.

Back
Top Bottom