• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Scientology

I'm almost done with the first season. These people are cruel.

I have not, but I always felt that the entire religion was one huge scam.
I have known a few people in it. My friend's uncle was into it. The family said he was gay, but Scientology promises to turn people straight and that got him in. The church was all about taking money. He gave them tons of money all the time. In fact, he would call my friend's house asking for money, because moving up in levels requires a lot of cash.

When I worked in a CPA firm, one of our client's gave the church over half of his annual income every year.

They have to be getting so much money from their followers. It's crazy.

I have known a few people in it. My friend's uncle was into it. The family said he was gay, but Scientology promises to turn people straight and that got him in. The church was all about taking money. He gave them tons of money all the time. In fact, he would call my friend's house asking for money, because moving up in levels requires a lot of cash.

When I worked in a CPA firm, one of our client's gave the church over half of his annual income every year.

The cult bleeds their victims dry. In a way, it’s a self-correcting problem. However, what they do to kids should be illegal.

I started watching Leah Remini's documentary on Scientology. Anyone else seen it? What are your thoughts?

My first reaction was this is an obvious cult and it reminds me of the NXIVM cult stories, but on a more powerful scale. My second thought was if a dystopian storyline ever came to be in the US, I could see Scientology being the head of it.
My little band had our own rehearsal studio in the basement of the Coliseum Ballroom building in South Minneapolis, where we also offered extra rehearsal space to others as well as some recording.
The Church of Scientology had its "org" on the Second Floor of the building and their staffers used to sneak downstairs and stay just inside the entrance where they could spy on us, they'd harass our clients as they came and went, and they'd bother us both at the studio and elsewhere.

We finally "motivated them" to move out and I can't share what we did to them, but let's just say it was unpleasant and it made them feel the way they made US feel, for perhaps the very first time in their existence.
And I'll just say this much more...from the materials we got access to, what you're seeing on that Leah Remini special is the tip of the iceberg.
And our experience was back in the 1970's when Hubbard was still alive.

That's interesting. I know someone who was a driver for some very famous people including Tom Cruise and he said he saw something that led him to believe that Tom Cruise is absolutely gay. I bet he and Miscavige have a thing.

That's interesting. I know someone who was a driver for some very famous people including Tom Cruise and he said he saw something that led him to believe that Tom Cruise is absolutely gay. I bet he and Miscavige have a thing.

Hmmmm, Dav-El Limo service, I know the outfit very well!
In fact I did one of their very first training videos.

I doubt Tom Cruise is gay...in the traditional sense. But bisexual? Oh yeah.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.
What's wrong is, he's a Scientologist.
Take that away and he's just a garden variety high power Hollywood mogul with everything that implies.

I doubt Tom Cruise is gay...in the traditional sense. But bisexual? Oh yeah.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.
What's wrong is, he's a Scientologist.
Take that away and he's just a garden variety high power Hollywood mogul with everything that implies.
Tom Cruise creeps me out. Somebody who left Scientology said they saw him abusing people really bad. It’s common in that cult. I believe it too.

"Edit" the Constitution to ban all cults? What's the definition of "cult"?

To me a cult is centered around a single person. Even Jesus (if there was such a critter) had a cult following in his day. Is it still a cult? I dunno, sort of (WWJD?). Others such as Islam, scientology, mormonism, and naziism are defined by slavish dedication to a single person. David Koresh, Jim Jones, and that Bagwan asshole in Oregon were smaller examples.

Christianity has become diluted by the input of various councils, popes, and "prophets", so it's all over the place now. Islam has fractured as well, but about 85 - 95% are still close followers of Mohamed's vision (IMO).

To me a cult is centered around a single person. Even Jesus (if there was such a critter) had a cult following in his day. Is it still a cult? I dunno, sort of (WWJD?). Others such as Islam, scientology, mormonism, and naziism are defined by slavish dedication to a single person. David Koresh, Jim Jones, and that Bagwan asshole in Oregon were smaller examples.

Christianity has become diluted by the input of various councils, popes, and "prophets", so it's all over the place now. Islam has fractured as well, but about 85 - 95% are still close followers of Mohamed's vision (IMO).
In that it pushes the idea that Jesus is more than just a man, the Book of John part of Christianity is definitely cult-like. Deifying humans is the true definition of personality cults.

I've never encountered a Christian church that forces you to pay tens of thousands - sometimes millions - of dollars to remain part of the religion. The majority of Christianity is nothing like the extremism of Scientology.
Correct me if I am wrong.
Don't many of the main stream Christian church's encourage a tithe gift of 10% to be a member?

imo, Scientology is a cult that takes things to the extreme. I watched a few of Leah Remini's documentary. She makes a lot of good points.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Don't many of the main stream Christian church's encourage a tithe gift of 10% to be a member?

imo, Scientology is a cult that takes things to the extreme. I watched a few of Leah Remini's documentary. She makes a lot of good points.

I’ve never been part of a church that requires payment. If they deny you entry into the church, won’t let you participate in hearing the singing/sermon, have your kids in Bible class, etc until you pay your 10% .. yeah, that’s messed up.

Tom Cruise creeps me out. Somebody who left Scientology said they saw him abusing people really bad. It’s common in that cult. I believe it too.

The leader of Scientology physically abuses the members. It’s one of L Ron Hubbard’s policies along with stalking, harassing and blackmailing people.

I’ve never been part of a church that requires payment. If they deny you entry into the church, won’t let you participate in hearing the singing/sermon, have your kids in Bible class, etc until you pay your 10% .. yeah, that’s messed up.
I no longer participate in organized religion. Never was stopped from attending services. After a few visits I was approached about officially joining and contributing. This involved more than one church. Decided this was not for me.

Never understood the mega churches either.

There are those who strive to go back to the roots of Christianity, by imitating Jesus and the apostles...

The leader of Scientology physically abuses the members. It’s one of L Ron Hubbard’s policies along with stalking, harassing and blackmailing people.

Big time.
There are tons of people here that Scientology would define as "SP" (suppressive persons) and SP's are "fair game" to Scientology.
I guarantee you if they knew about me, I'd be branded instantly.

I no longer participate in organized religion. Never was stopped from attending services. After a few visits I was approached about officially joining and contributing. This involved more than one church. Decided this was not for me.
Never understood the mega churches either.

Yes, some denominations are like that. I would never go to a church like that. Just know that there are many, many Christian churches who don't require any payment whatsoever to be considered a "member". And, Christianity as a whole doesn't require it either. Scientology on the other hand....

I've never encountered a Christian church that forces you to pay tens of thousands - sometimes millions - of dollars to remain part of the religion. The majority of Christianity is nothing like the extremism of Scientology.
There is a region in Germany that has the government collect tithes for the church

8% of income I believe

You have hit upon what I believe to be the only distinctions between a cult and a religion: the passage of time, i.e. the continuation of the cult after the death of its founder, and the number of adherents. Apart from Scientology, Mormonism is the most recently invented, and best documented cult that gained grudging acceptance as a religion.

Yes, some denominations are like that. I would never go to a church like that. Just know that there are many, many Christian churches who don't require any payment whatsoever to be considered a "member". And, Christianity as a whole doesn't require it either. Scientology on the other hand....

Somewhere in hell, L. Ron Hubbard, a science fiction writer, is laughing his ass off.

Somewhere in hell, L. Ron Hubbard, a science fiction writer, is laughing his ass off.

No, no. He’s coming back. They even created a huge symbol next to his waiting mansion so when he spirit flies over he’ll know where to land. 😂

Heaven's Gate, Timothy Leary, extreme Trekkies & 1960's hippies had a baby, and named it "Scientology"

Last edited:
I started watching Leah Remini's documentary on Scientology. Anyone else seen it? What are your thoughts?

My first reaction was this is an obvious cult and it reminds me of the NXIVM cult stories, but on a more powerful scale. My second thought was if a dystopian storyline ever came to be in the US, I could see Scientology being the head of it.
I have seen it, just keep watching, also about other cultish movements.

scientology, islam, and mormonism are all pretty bad. and should just about be banned.

we could instill a non punishable ban for all 3. meaning we dont allow them but we wont lock anyone up if they are caught doing them. kinda like how if cops see you in public with a beer they just poor it out and dont arrest you. a passive ban on those 3 religions from the country

and awareness of cults taught to kids in high school.

take all their money too. and give it to the public education system haha
You can hardly compare it to Islam, because if Islam needs to be banned then so does Christianity.

Back
Top Bottom