• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Scientology

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
I started watching Leah Remini's documentary on Scientology. Anyone else seen it? What are your thoughts?

My first reaction was this is an obvious cult and it reminds me of the NXIVM cult stories, but on a more powerful scale. My second thought was if a dystopian storyline ever came to be in the US, I could see Scientology being the head of it.

scientology, islam, and mormonism are all pretty bad. and should just about be banned.

we could instill a non punishable ban for all 3. meaning we dont allow them but we wont lock anyone up if they are caught doing them. kinda like how if cops see you in public with a beer they just poor it out and dont arrest you. a passive ban on those 3 religions from the country

and awareness of cults taught to kids in high school.

take all their money too. and give it to the public education system haha

I started watching Leah Remini's documentary on Scientology. Anyone else seen it? What are your thoughts?

My first reaction was this is an obvious cult and it reminds me of the NXIVM cult stories, but on a more powerful scale. My second thought was if a dystopian storyline ever came to be in the US, I could see Scientology being the head of it.
I have not, but I always felt that the entire religion was one huge scam.

scientology, islam, and mormonism are all pretty bad. and should just about be banned.

we could instill a non punishable ban for all 3. meaning we dont allow them but we wont lock anyone up if they are caught doing them. kinda like how if cops see you in public with a beer they just poor it out and dont arrest you. a passive ban on those 3 religions from the country

and awareness of cults taught to kids in high school.

take all their money too. and give it to the public education system haha

That would be a violation of the Constitution in the US. I don't know about Canada.

Scientology is only recognised as a religion in a few countries.

Their story is no stranger than the Christians.

They're just more honest about the money grab.

Their story is no stranger than the Christians.
They're just more honest about the money grab.

I've never encountered a Christian church that forces you to pay tens of thousands - sometimes millions - of dollars to remain part of the religion. The majority of Christianity is nothing like the extremism of Scientology.

I've never encountered a Christian church that forces you to pay tens of thousands - sometimes millions - of dollars to remain part of the religion. The majority of Christianity is nothing like the extremism of Scientology.
And yet mega churches rake in more than scientology could ever dream about.

And yet mega churches rake in more than scientology could ever dream about.

Well, sure. Like I said, the majority of Christianity is nothing like the extremism of Scientology. Mega churches aren't anywhere near a majority.

not if you deem those 3 cults and not religions

there is no protections for cults

The government cannot ban people from being part of a cult if they want to be.

Not that familiar with Scientology, the little I have heard/read it seems way off but I dont think thats fair in a general sense since im uneducated about it.
Its similar to how people read the bible or the Koran and then judge it off of that . . anybody honest knows thats stupid

anyway all religions that I'm aware of including my own are cults by definition 🤷‍♂️

I understand cult often has a negative connotation to it but words have meanings also. I wish we had a better word than cult. Religions are cults but not all cults are religions.

The government cannot ban people from being part of a cult if they want to be.

so edit the constitution then

add that to one of my many amendments ive posted on this site

ill single handedly repair america for you

so edit the constitution then

add that to one of my many amendments ive posted on this site

ill single handedly repair america for you

"Edit" the Constitution to ban all cults? What's the definition of "cult"?

"Edit" the Constitution to ban all cults? What's the definition of "cult"?

why do you need me to tell you

you already used the word in your op

but all of a sudden its a big confusing thing that nobody has the answer to??? now that you want to argue? haha

dont be a hypocrite

why do you need me to tell you

you already used the word in your op

but all of a sudden its a big confusing thing that nobody has the answer to??? now that you want to argue? haha

dont be a hypocrite

Mmmkay. I guess I expected too much for this conversation with you. Have a nice night.

A religion started by a science fiction writer looking for a tax shelter. What could possibly go wrong?

Mmmkay. I guess I expected too much for this conversation with you. Have a nice night.

ya you expected me not to expose your hypocricy

when it serves you to know what a cult is you know, and when it doesnt you pretend you dont know haha

I would definitely consider Scientology a cult. They are VERY controlling of their members. And they will shun anyone not following the approved teachings. I live in Florida (their world HQ is in ST Pete) and I've heard stories. Some VERY disturbing stories of them separating people from their friends and families.

In the 1970's I had to deal with a very disturbing set of ongoing encounters with this cult.
Their "org" was on the second floor of a building where my little band and I had a rehearsal studio space.
They made us miserable for well over a year, and they also endangered the lives of several of our friends.
Eventually we made them move out.

Coliseum2003.jpg

All religions start out as cults.
It's when they gain money and power, they become religions.

In the 1970's I had to deal with a very disturbing set of ongoing encounters with this cult.
Their "org" was on the second floor of a building where my little band and I had a rehearsal studio space.
They made us miserable for well over a year, and they also endangered the lives of several of our friends.
Eventually we made them move out.

View attachment 67326862

I remember the drummer in one of my old bands was audited and started to investigate this nonsense. At some point, he got cold feet and when they asked for his details he generously gave them mine. I couldn't get rid of these fruitcakes; they were 'phoning me up and coming around to my house, and generally making a nuisance of themselves. Eventually, I had to threaten legal action to be rid of these nutters.

Back
Top Bottom