• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

San Francisco Wants to Ban the Sale of Pets

So you defend legal bunk with more legal bunk?

Let's just initiate bread lines and invisible Stasi. Seemed to work across the pond.

This isn't a federal thing. Are you saying that a town or city can't outlaw certain things? 4 million dogs nationwide are put to death each year because there aren't enough resources to keep them in shelters.

I can't believe vets can handle doing it. I couldn't handle putting down dogs that weren't chronically ill or injured.

Again, it was voted down. SF is not banning the sale of pets. It was just something somebody on the comission proposed, but the commission voted against it yesterday.

Again, it was voted down. SF is not banning the sale of pets. It was just something somebody on the comission proposed, but the commission voted against it yesterday.

It was a good suggestion.

Yes, banning the sale of pets is totally the same thing as exterminating Jewish people.

WTF? How does this even remotely equate with the Holocaust.

Thank you for that info.

I know of several pet stores in my area that don't sell anything other than fish without any policy like this. They do however hold adoption days where local shelters bring in animals to be adopted.

The fact is that pet stores do get their animals from mills. They may not do it directly as they usually have a middle man (a broker). The irresponsible breeding and the deplorable conditions leave these dogs unsocialized during the most formitive stages of their life, unhealthy, and leaving the owners with hundreds if not thousands of dollar in vet bills and/or euthanization of the animal.

The pet stor owners will just have to adapt. Most of their sales comes from the products, not the animals.

An unsocialized dog is not always a problem. My wife and I bought a couple of Sheltie (Shetland Sheep Dog) sisters from a local breeder in town. He's not a puppy mill, but merely breeds a couple times a year, and Shelties go quickly. They are wonderful out on my farm. One of the females, Lilly was very stand offish, even as a puppy, but she was just like her mother. I worked with her very hard to socialize her. She finally came around, but adores me, because I worked with her so hard. Now, her sister, Rose is exactly opposite, has never been standoffish and never sees a stranger. Lilly stands off and barks at strangers and won't let them get near her, which is a good thing where I live. We are very remote so we are very leery of strangers who drive up at night. It is the custom out here that neighbors call one another first before stopping by.

An unsocialized dog is not always a problem. My wife and I bought a couple of Sheltie (Shetland Sheep Dog) sisters from a local breeder in town. He's not a puppy mill, but merely breeds a couple times a year, and Shelties go quickly. They are wonderful out on my farm. One of the females, Lilly was very stand offish, even as a puppy, but she was just like her mother. I worked with her very hard to socialize her. She finally came around, but adores me, because I worked with her so hard. Now, her sister, Rose is exactly opposite, has never been standoffish and never sees a stranger. Lilly stands off and barks at strangers and won't let them get near her, which is a good thing where I live. We are very remote so we are very leery of strangers who drive up at night. It is the custom out here that neighbors call one another first before stopping by.

A situation like yours isn't what I am talking about. All dogs should be socialized as puppies before any insecurities develop and become deeply ingrained. You put the work in to socialize your dog.

WTF? How does this even remotely equate with the Holocaust.

I was sarcastically referring to the OP. I suggest you get your sacarsm detector checked.

Back
Top Bottom