• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rush Calls Volt, Prius an "AIDS Ribbon" more great nuggets

More importantly, my van, which I could sell for $2000, gets 12 miles to the gallon, and at today's prices and how much I use the car, I'd have to keep that junky Volt for 26 years to make up the purchase price in the savings in gas.

But Volt's are only going to be good for 5 years or so, and then the battery will have to be replaced at horrible cost.

Try a guarantee of 8 years or 100,000 miles.

Consequently, that's the battery manufacturer's warranty for adverse conditions and poor charging habits. If you take care to read your owner's manual and do what it tells you, you can easily double that number.

You yourself admitted you don't know how big the tank is. :lol:

Gee, maybe cause GM won't officially release the tank size?

Still unknown: The Volt's fuel economy. GM is no longer giving estimated mileage numbers, nor is it disclosing the size of the Volt's gas tank, which would allow us to deduce how many miles per gallon the vehicle achieves.

Premium manufacturer's suggested retail price. Very attractive leasing terms. Now, the premium-gas requirement. When it comes to the Chevy Volt, which goes on sale later this year, GM's been full of surprises this week.

Scott Doggett, Contributing Editor

Posted by
Scott Doggett July 29, 2010, 9:05 AM
"GM Says Chevy Volt Will Require Premium Gas; Fuel Costs 10% More Than Regular" Green Car Advisor

GM says the Volt's battery can last 40 miles, after which the gasoline engine kicks in to extend the driving range for another 300 miles. It hasn't divulged the size of Volt's gas tank, except to say it's less than 10 gallons.

See full article from DailyFinance: Chevy Volt's Mileage: No Good Measure Yet - DailyFinance

The 9 Gallons came from two auto blog sites I found at home. So there you go, GM won't give out the tank size.

Piker.

My car was 3 years old in may and has 110k miles.

Honestly though, hybrids, plug-in hybrids, and electric vehicles are only really useful to people who do mostly city driving and have a short commute. For anyone else, they're a colossal waste of money. They're getting better though. We're working on one that'll have a 100 mile range on batteries alone, at freeway speeds.

I wonder what the price of electricity be by that time.

Well gee, then maybe ****ting all over the Volt just because it fits your political agenda would be a dumb thing to do! :lol:

What?

:blink:

What?

What?

So GM won't release the size of the gas tank... I should stop ****ting on this over priced POS???

My 10 year old Impala with the "big" 3.8L v6 gets an easy 35mpg on the freeway and back roads with 60mph speed limit. We drove from Logan, Utah due north to Downey, ID on back roads and then freeway to Idaho Falls, Idaho. Round trip. Freeway limit is 75, I keep it at 70 in the slow lane.

Occasionally I see a Prius on the freeway or around Logan, seems to me they are more a city car than anything else. People who buy them have more money than sense.

I wonder what the price of electricity be by that time.

If it is a nuke power plant, it will be cheap and clean. If coal, the power plant will beresponsible for dumping a lot of dirt into the atmosphere when the Prius is driving on its batteries.

You should stop ****ting on something you don't know enough about to **** on intelligently.

Take your own advice, you're spouting the MPG of this engine as if it's some sort of sweet system, when all evidence points to it being average at best.

I did my homework, and make educated guesses, you just spout whatever you pull out of your rear.

Take your own advice, you're spouting the MPG of this engine as if it's some sort of sweet system, when all evidence points to it being average at best.

I provided a link to back up my claims. You've provided jack diddly squat except for a link that essentially said "we have not a clue."

I did my homework, and make educated guesses, you just spout whatever you pull out of your rear.

Self-diagnosis, anyone? :lol:

Since this "car" will require premium gas, the cost to operate it will not be that much lower than conventional cars after the batteries run down. I'd also love to see how many watts of power it will require to charge this thing.

It may drive 40 miles on a brand new battery, but how long will they last after a year or two. We all know that advertised battery power on cell phones and other gadgets never lasts as long as they say it will.

Since this "car" will require premium gas, the cost to operate it will not be that much lower than conventional cars after the batteries run down. I'd also love to see how many watts of power it will require to charge this thing.

The Volt's 375 lb (170 kg), 220-cell lithium-ion battery (Li-ion) pack is anticipated to store 16 kW·h of energy,[1][86] but will be restricted (in software) to use only 8.8 kW·h of this capacity to maximize the life of the pack. It will only be allowed to charge to 85% of full capacity and to discharge only to approximately 30% SoC before the engine cuts in and maintains the charge near the lower level. When the vehicle is plugged into a charger the battery SoC is restored to 85%.

It may drive 40 miles on a brand new battery, but how long will they last after a year or two. We all know that advertised battery power on cell phones and other gadgets never lasts as long as they say it will.

Try a guarantee of 8 years or 100,000 miles.

Consequently, that's the battery manufacturer's warranty for adverse conditions and poor charging habits. If you take care to read your owner's manual and do what it tells you, you can easily double that number.

There you go.

There I go what ???? You didn't address anything I posted.

He spouted

Obamamotors talking points on what the car will do, what more need he. He has been told how to think.

Go back and read my post.

I quoted myself once and I think Wiki once, and both quotes directly addressed your post.

I did. Nothing there that discusses the driving distance these batteries will provide after a few years use.

I did. Nothing there that discusses the driving distance these batteries will provide after a few years use.

You wanted to know how many watts of power it would require for a charge. I pointed you to that information.

You wanted to know how the charging capacity was going to be impacted after a year a two, and I explained how it's pretty much not a concern. Their numbers for the battery in terms of longevity are for if you absolutely beat the crap out of it, which is what they expect you to do. If you take care of it like they tell you, it stays healthier longer.

You wanted to know how many watts of power it would require for a charge. I pointed you to that information.

You wanted to know how the charging capacity was going to be impacted after a year a two, and I explained how it's pretty much not a concern. Their numbers for the battery in terms of longevity are for if you absolutely beat the crap out of it, which is what they expect you to do. If you take care of it like they tell you, it stays healthier longer.

No, I asked how many watts it would take to charge it, not the wattage capacity of the battery.

Sorry, but don't be offended if I don't take your word or the manufacturer's for how many years the battery will provide enough power to propel the car 40 miles. As I said, battery manufacturer's commonly claim their batteries will last longer than they do in real life.

No, I asked how many watts it would take to charge it, not the wattage capacity of the battery.

Oh, for crying out loud. That depends entirely on the efficiency of the circuit involved. A craptacular number would be 80%. So, if you take into account the fact that the car won't let the battery go lower than 30% or higher than 85% so as to maximize battery life (like the article I pointed you to said), you're talking roughly 11kWh to charge the battery from the minimum charge to the maximum charge.

If that's not good enough for you, please feel free to do your own research to determine the efficiency of the charging circuit on the battery-powered car that isn't for sale yet. :lol:

Sorry, but don't be offended if I don't take your word or the manufacturer's for how many years the battery will provide enough power to propel the car 40 miles. As I said, battery manufacturer's commonly claim their batteries will last longer than they do in real life.

Right, except this is them saying they guarantee it for at least that long. Dot. Which means you can pretty much expect it'll last at least twice that long, otherwise they wouldn't make any money -- and they love to make money.

Right, except this is them saying they guarantee it for at least that long. Dot. Which means you can pretty much expect it'll last at least twice that long, otherwise they wouldn't make any money -- and they love to make money.

And you actually believe that every product made lasts for its entire warranty period ??? :lol:

They will make a hell of a lot more money selling you $10,000. replacement batteries. I also noticed that they've already reduced the anticipated life of the batteries from 10 years and 150,000 miles to 8 years and 100,000 miles.

Anybody got a clue where the batteries will be made? If you think the Arab Oil Cartel is bad, wait til you deal with the chinese lithium cartel....

Back
Top Bottom