• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Roughly 80% of all voters say U.S. needs secure borders, including 68% of Democrats: Harvard poll

Looks like Americans are smarter than their Democrat representatives in DC give them credit for:

Roughly 80% of all voters say U.S. needs secure borders, including 68% of Democrats: Harvard poll

A wide-reaching new poll conducted by Harvard University reveals that majorities of U.S. voters — including Democrats — appear to agree with many of President Trump’s most basic beliefs about immigration.

The findings reveal, for example, that eight out of 10 of all U.S. voters — 79 percent — say the U.S. needs secure borders; 93 percent of Republicans, 80 percent of independents and 68 percent of Democrats agree with that.

In addition, 61 percent overall say U.S. border security is inadequate; 84 percent of Republicans, 64 percent of independents and 40 percent of Democrats agree. Another 54 percent overall support building a combination physical and electronic barrier between the U.S. and Mexico; 85 percent of Republicans, 54 percent of independents and 30 percent of Democrats agree.

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/...MSvncdWBq-27thpCJ1fhKrEqPSKoVFuJ3RwYa8F_yrQrM

I don't think the issue has ever been "We don't want border security"...lol... Rather, they want something better than a dumb wall.

I don't blame American's for not trusting Trump to get this done. That's the biggest sign of intelligence in America on this issue to date.

Actually Donald changes so many times and so quickly that there is no telling what he is talking about at this point which is why funding this mythical wall by subverting process and under coercion makes NO SENSE.

The people answering the poll do not share your confusion, clearly.

Where in the article does it show support of the size and length of trumps wall? Hint, it doesn’t. Don’t know why you all seem to cling to trumps wall but your word smithing still doesn’t change the fact the majority of Americans are against trumps wall.

Explain how that is relevant to the primary point:

Another 54 percent overall support building a combination physical and electronic barrier between the U.S. and Mexico; 85 percent of Republicans, 54 percent of independents and 30 percent of Democrats agree.

Explain how that is relevant to the primary point:

Another 54 percent overall support building a combination physical and electronic barrier between the U.S. and Mexico; 85 percent of Republicans, 54 percent of independents and 30 percent of Democrats agree.

So what size of barrier was listed in the article? I’ll support a 50ft length wall, good with you then? Great. End the shutdown and you get your 50ft length wall. You trump supporters are desperate.

What size of a wall does Trump want? Can you quote him on it?

He’s already described the size of the all he wants. Are you serious?

I don't think the issue has ever been "We don't want border security"...lol... Rather, they want something better than a dumb wall.

I don't blame American's for not trusting Trump to get this done. That's the biggest sign of intelligence in America on this issue to date.

Apparently not.

~ Another 54 percent overall support building a combination physical and electronic barrier between the U.S. and Mexico ; 85 percent of Republicans, 54 percent of independents and 30 percent of Democrats agree.

Apparently not.

~ Another 54 percent overall support building a combination physical and electronic barrier between the U.S. and Mexico ; 85 percent of Republicans, 54 percent of independents and 30 percent of Democrats agree.

Far cry from the wall being proposed by his MarioKart-ness. Also got rid of your weird formatting for you. That'll be 25 cents. Thanks.

You do know that if Congress appropriates funds for The Wall that it goes TO the wall and not Trumps pockets right? And the site that you link to does not say anywhere that the money will go to the wall?

I just said that the site I linked to "does not say anywhere that the money will go to the wall".
What you apparently missed is that The White is soliciting donations for the wall by email that do link TO that site.
The emails are all about this so called "Secure the Wall Border Fund"...until you actually GET TO that site, but since most people got wind of the site by Trump's emails, they likely skip over the disclaimer and they think that they just donated money for the wall.
If you parse the URL, it even spells it out:

https :// secure.donaldjtrump.com/ dec-2018-Build-the-Wall/

Every single email they send out comes damn close to being another case of fraud, if you want to get technical about it.
In fact, it might just be fraud, and it will be interesting to see what the law says about that.

So, that was my point, that Congress appropriates the funds for the wall, and not Brian Kolfage, and not Donald Trump's Election Committee, but when one looks at the fact that both Brian Kolfage AND Donald Trump are engaged in nearly identical pieces of subterfuge, one can only come to one conclusion.

Now, if you wish to get down into the mud and attempt to split hairs on whether or not this is deliberate subterfuge and fraud, save your breath or go argue it with someone else, because I know that this is a case of defrauding people.
As far as I'm concerned, there is no other way you can look at it.

Of course, "your mileage may vary."
Especially if you're driving a "dodge".

How about a Grass Roots Border Wall. Bring a brick, a cinder block, a large stone. Put it at the border. Eventually, even if no one constructs a wall, it will pile up.

Yeah...there was no caravan...right?

The caravan sought asylum under the legal process congress set forth. Don't like it? Change the law. It's much cheaper than the ridiculous wall, which is not evidenced to be necessary.

Same here....I am all for securing the borders. I want more of everything that's needed. But I was talking to my husband and a few friends about this and I for one believe if we allow 5+ billion to into a fund for wall border security whatever at least a billion will be funneled to Trump and co.
I sincerely believe the initial 1.3b has sat unused because Trump can't find anyone to go along with his kickback scheme for a piddly 1.3 but add 5 more to that....more incentive?
Why do you think all the major good reputation construction, architectural firms are staying away?
Trumps doing exactly what his voters want.
The Dems are doing exactly what their voters want.
No slush fund for Trump!

Not to mention there is that minor detail about all those good firms being a little gun shy about not getting paid, because our CiC has a reputation for not paying people. And he is, even now, carrying that into the government sector, by instructing FEMA to cut off promised funds for California wildfire damage, and by threatening to divert disaster relief funds for Puerto Rico to fund his wall, which he might just pull a switcheroo on later as well.
Don't think for one second that he isn't already two steps ahead on what he will do with any wall money he can get his hands on. In fact, that wall money might even end up in Russian hands. Don't be surprised!

With Trump, it's always the same game of Three Card Monty, the same shell game, the same tricked out deck of cards, the same lopsided dice, the same crooked slot machine which always pays off in wooden nickels.

You came because you were told there would be steak and lobster, and instead you were handed a couple of cold Big Macs and some stale fries. Honestly, I am surprised that Donald Trump didn't make those athletes swipe their debit cards on the way out while telling them that their money would go to fund the wall. Seems like he missed an opportunity there! :lamo

Looks like Americans are smarter than their Democrat representatives in DC give them credit for:

A wide-reaching new poll conducted by Harvard University reveals that majorities of U.S. voters — including Democrats — appear to agree with many of President Trump’s most basic beliefs about immigration.

The findings reveal, for example, that eight out of 10 of all U.S. voters — 79 percent — say the U.S. needs secure borders; 93 percent of Republicans, 80 percent of independents and 68 percent of Democrats agree with that.

In addition, 61 percent overall say U.S. border security is inadequate; 84 percent of Republicans, 64 percent of independents and 40 percent of Democrats agree. Another 54 percent overall support building a combination physical and electronic barrier between the U.S. and Mexico; 85 percent of Republicans, 54 percent of independents and 30 percent of Democrats agree.

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/...MSvncdWBq-27thpCJ1fhKrEqPSKoVFuJ3RwYa8F_yrQrM

I don't think its explosive news or anything new to find out that most Americans support border security. Reasonable rational people know that.

What size of a wall does Trump want? Can you quote him on it?

And yet you fail to provide the QUOTE you cite.

It's changes so many times, so you really need to ask Trump, however, let’s just start with his first claims:

"I would build a great wall, and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me, and I'll build them very inexpensively,” Trump said when he entered the 2016 race for the White House, after descending the escalator at Trump Tower. “I will build a great, great wall on our southern border. And I will have Mexico pay for that wall. Mark my words.”

Now, let’s look at the timeline shall we?

June 25, 2015
“You don’t need a wall for the entire piece because we have wonderful people, Border Patrol people, that can do the job. But you do need walls in certain sections, without question.” — Interview with CNN

Aug. 25, 2015
Reporter: How are you going to build a 1,900-mile wall?
Trump: Very easy. I’m a builder. That’s easy. I build buildings that are — can I tell you what’s more complicated? What’s more complicated is building a building that’s 95 stories tall. O.K.?
— News conference in Dubuque, Iowa

Oct. 28, 2015
“As far as the wall is concerned, we’re going to build a wall. We’re going to create a border. We’re going to let people in, but they’re going to come in legally. They’re going to come in legally. And it’s something that can be done, and I get questioned about that. They built the Great Wall of China. That’s 13,000 miles. Here, we actually need 1,000 because we have natural barriers. So we need 1,000.” — Republican presidential debate

Dec. 2, 2015
“In our case, we need really 1,000 miles. It’s 2,000 miles, but some is natural borders, natural barriers which are pretty good, not as good as the wall but pretty good; you know what, let’s use it.” — Campaign rally in Manassas, Va.

Aug. 8, 2016
“It’s 2,000 miles, but we need 1,000; you have natural barriers. We need 1,000 miles.” — Campaign rally in Ashburn, Va.

Nov. 2, 2017
“You have 2,000 miles. You have mountains, you have rivers, you have things that you don’t put the wall in, you don’t need them.” — Interview with Fox News

Jan. 11, 2018
Mr. Trump: So the wall. The wall’s never meant to be 2,100 miles long. We have mountains that are far better than a wall. We have violent rivers that nobody goes near. ...
You don’t need a wall where you have a natural barrier that’s far greater than any wall you could build, O.K.?
— Interview with The Wall Street Journal

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/18/us/politics/trump-border-wall-immigration.html

Or how about these:

The $5 billion would replace about 115 miles of older fence with taller posts, and expand the border barrier by about 100 miles, homeland security aides said Friday.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/pol...b-demand-steel-slats-still-triggered-shutdown

I am in the Oval Office & just gave out a 115 mile long contract for another large section of the Wall in Texas. We are already building and renovating many miles of Wall, some complete. Democrats must end Shutdown and finish funding. Billions of Dollars, & lives, will be saved!
Trump’s tweet on Dec 24th, 2018.

So his great wall has turned to slats and only 115 miles. Sorry, but that is a waste of time and money to shutdown the government over.

I think you all forgot to read what was quoted in the quote box fully....
What kind of physical barrier do you think is being talked about?

And yet when polled specifically about the wall it's a large majority against. That you found one poll using an inferred combination question that barely squeaked over the 50% mark isn't convincing anybody.

And yet when polled specifically about the wall it's a large majority against. That you found one poll using an inferred combination question that barely squeaked over the 50% mark isn't convincing anybody.

Large majority? What would you say is a "large majority"? Most polls that I have seen that talk about not wanting the wall is in the 50's. According to you that's "squeaking by".

Sooo dodge the tRump lies exposed and ignore the fact we already have a combination barrier to try and make 54% seem YUGE and new.... :doh

Trumpism at the best (worst)…. :peace

Most Americans support border security, but 57 percent don't want the wall.

Wanting secure borders does not mean we need a ****ing wall. :doh

Fake News. Let's see how the question was "couched", and the demographic breakdown of whatever poll you are citing, please.

Back
Top Bottom