• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[RIP] Muhammad Ali, 'The Greatest of All Time', Dead at 74[W:94]

Re: Muhammad Ali, 'The Greatest of All Time', Dead at 74

It is almost impossible to rate boxers from a different era with current boxers.

It is like comparing NFL players today with NFL players of the 20's. In the twenties a huge guy was 5'11" and 245 pounds. Nowdays, we have linesmen 6'4" 300 plus. Today's team would crush them and out run them.

So people will argue about who was the best boxers forever. But I still can't go with your notion that Ali was not even close to being one of the best. Would love to hear what some of Ali's opponents think about that.

Top 2 or 3 heavyweight... but not the best. Sugar Ray is universally recognized as the very best boxer of all time by serious boxing people.

Top 2 or 3 heavyweight... but not the best. Sugar Ray is universally recognized as the very best boxer of all time by serious boxing people.

Well now, Ali has something in common with boxing and 'serious boxing people,' they are all dead.

RIP to them all.

Laying back on the ropes like that, letting Foreman tire himself pounding on him. Did you see that documentary, "When We Were Kings"? George Plimpton described Ali on the ropes as looking like a man leaning backwards out a window to see his roof.
Rumour had it that Angelo Dundee had had the top ropes loosened before the fight.

I have the documentary on disk. One of the best documentaries on boxing that I have seen.

People used to try and tell me that Ali suffered more long term damage with the "rope-a-dope", but I believe he would have been hurt worse if he hadn't used the technique. Ali's best defense was his offense in terms of protection in the open ring. He could sting you pretty good even while back peddling.

Joe Louis is considered the number 1 heavyweight boxer.

It is probable that yesterday somewhere a former great nurse died. It is certain that he or she will have done more for his or her fellow humans than Ali ever did. It is also certain that our anonymous great nurse will have been poorly rewarded for his or her humanity, dedication and skill. Unlike the conceited and unpleasant Ali, over praised and over rewarded.

The CP herd, intolerant of dissenting opinion, will now instruct me to 'show respect' but I have intention in indulging in a hypocritical display of phony and mawkish sentiment.

Somewhere above I was asked if I would join in the chorus of praise if Ali had been a 'Christian boxer'. No. I detest Christianity, though not as much as Islam.

It is probable that yesterday somewhere a former great nurse died. It is certain that he or she will have done more for his or her fellow humans than Ali ever did. It is also certain that our anonymous great nurse will have been poorly rewarded for his or her humanity, dedication and skill. Unlike the conceited and unpleasant Ali, over praised and over rewarded.

The CP herd, intolerant of dissenting opinion, will now instruct me to 'show respect' but I have intention in indulging in a hypocritical display of phony and mawkish sentiment.

Somewhere above I was asked if I would join in the chorus of praise if Ali had been a 'Christian boxer'. No. I detest Christianity, though not as much as Islam.

Your "zero sum" thinking is warped. Ali's death does not take away from anyone else. Grow up.

Joe Louis is considered the number 1 heavyweight boxer.

By a lot of people, yes. But Muhammad Ali had foot speed and defensive skills Louis didn't have. Louis was a harder puncher, without question. I have never seen fighters react to punches the way they reacted to his. But there are several fights in which Ali showed he also had one-punch knockout power--against Bonavena and Blin, for example.

I take it you mean the original Sugar Ray--Robinson, not Leonard. If so, I couldn't argue with that. Ali occasionally used the "bolo punch," which he said he picked up from Robinson.

You sound like someone who does too much "detesting"...and who does not have the class to be involved in an RIP thread. Why not see if there is a thread about a television program you might be able to contribure to in a meaningful way.

It really is.

Not too shabby considering all the licks he took.

This is a win.

Seriously.

Agreed. I watched him in amazement in the Olympics and more amazement when he turned Pro. I've never seen a heavyweight boxer with more speed before or since.

And that 78 inch reach was a big plus for him. Truly, the greatest boxer I ever had the pleasure of watching.

Amazing athlete.

Amazing man (from what I knew of him).

What he said and how he said it was probably more important to me then his boxing ability.

He was a man among men.

Very sad, he was a good person, and he did a lot of good charity for Phoenix.

Above all, he was The Greatest.

Yes indeed.

Condolences to his family. One of the greatest boxers ever and the end of an era.

So true.

I'll miss the guy. Love him or hate him he was his own man. The guy stuck to his principles and gave a whole lot of kids something positive to strive for.

He sure did. I remember all the black kids in my town admiring him and wanting to be him.

All good people are important,can you say the same thing ?Many christians are good people too.Your perspective is sicky

Pneumonia is said to be an old man's best friend.

The Champ.jpg

Rest in peace Champ.

Last of the page on Forum Rules.
http://www.debatepolitics.com/forum-rules/28594-forum-rules.html
the “R.I.P.” tag should be treated with the same general respect and etiquette one would show at a funeral. It is a thread for members to express their grief or condolences and to speak about the dead or the family of the dead in a respectful way, free of mud slinging. The same story that is used in a R.I.P thread may be used to create a standard thread about the matter as well (and vise versa). Conversation in this thread will run per the normal rules of Debate Politics. Personal attacks about individuals speaking ill of the dead, as per the standard rules, will not be allowed. As long as the discussion remains within the rules and on topic it is fair game.

You don't have to crap all over a thread like this. You could just keep your mouth shut.

You don't have to crap all over a thread like this. You could just keep your mouth shut.

Or simply go to hell.

Jesus ****ing Christ. Really dude? Really?

Hardly over the line. He was an great showman, a great boxer, an Icon, but not even close to being the best boxer of all time.

Sorry, but I don't get caught up in the emotion of the sport.

Most wins...no
Most KO's...no
Winning percentage...no

There are more than a few knowledgeable boxing experts,historians,writers, and boxers who say the same thing.

Ali was a great showman, fighter, and spokesman for civil rights.....but not close to being the best boxer.

His expertise was self promotion, he wrote the book on that.

The hilarity of people posting when someone famous dies is hilarious. This person didn't give a single **** about you. Didn't know you existed, and wouldn't have cared either way. Especially since most people prior to his death were making fun of his disease, just like the media made fun of Michael Jackson calling him a pedo and as soon as he died they all said what a shame it was.

The hilarity of people posting when someone famous dies is hilarious. This person didn't give a single **** about you. Didn't know you existed, and wouldn't have cared either way. Especially since most people prior to his death were making fun of his disease, just like the media made fun of Michael Jackson calling him a pedo and as soon as he died they all said what a shame it was.

Another very ignorant post.

Ali was was still very much loved during his illness, and he still did a lot of good work while he was sick.

Jackson was a "pedo", and was considered a "pedo" before and after.............................. unless you were one of his sick groupies.

Back
Top Bottom