• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Republicans on Gays: What's the Problem?

JustineCredible said:
Um, I guess you're just so wrapped up in NYU that you forget there are still pockets of Bubble-dom that still think that cats steal a baby's breath, that a nail in a tree will stop Dutch Elm disease and gal's can't get pregnant "The first time."

It's called superstition and it's prevalent in many cultures.

I don't even know what you're trying to say here, so I'm going to go with "okay?"

RightatNYU said:
Perhaps this is just ignorance talking, but I didn't know there were still people around who thought that there WERE reasons to avoid friendships with homosexuals, aside from old homophobes...

JustineCredible said:
Um, I guess you're just so wrapped up in NYU that you forget there are still pockets of Bubble-dom that still think that cats steal a baby's breath, that a nail in a tree will stop Dutch Elm disease and gal's can't get pregnant "The first time."

It's called superstition and it's prevalent in many cultures.

I don't even know what you're trying to say here, so I'm going to go with "okay?"

Does that help any?

Come on I would have expected more from you, Mr. NYU. Follow along.
You said you didn't know there was still anyone who would be affraid of associating with gays, I responded by informing you that infact there are and that it stems from susperstition.
It's really not that hard to figure out.

Yes, it still happens. Yes, there are those in this country who still buy into superstitions and flap-trap.

I wouldn't say superstition. I've never heard of any "gay" superstitions. Well, except for the walking under a ladder. That's pretty gay.

flip2 said:
I wouldn't say superstition. I've never heard of any "gay" superstitions. Well, except for the walking under a ladder. That's pretty gay.

What would you call it then?
For someone to illogically be "affraid" to associate with gays/lesbians thinking that somehow it would 'rub-off' on you is fairly superstitious.

Dictionary.com defines Superstition as:
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=superstition

1.An irrational belief that an object, action, or circumstance not logically related to a course of events influences its outcome.

a. A belief, practice, or rite irrationally maintained by ignorance of
the laws of nature or by faith in magic or chance.
b. A fearful or abject state of mind resulting from such ignorance
or irrationality.
c. Idolatry.

JustineCredible said:
What would you call it then?
For someone to illogically be "affraid" to associate with gays/lesbians thinking that somehow it would 'rub-off' on you is fairly superstitious.

What about the old saying - you are the company that you keep?

Too late to edit (can but like to keep the same rules as everyone here).

I wanted to clarify the statment above. It sounded very harsh, but was not intended as such.

If I associate myself with CEO's of companies - then the perception would be that I am a CEO or in good company. Likewise, if I associated myself with racists or criminals, without question it would be the expectation that I was such.

The question was about being 'afraid' of association with homosexuals. The above could be another factor.

JustineCredible said:
Does that help any?

Come on I would have expected more from you, Mr. NYU. Follow along.
You said you didn't know there was still anyone who would be affraid of associating with gays, I responded by informing you that infact there are and that it stems from susperstition.
It's really not that hard to figure out.

Yes, it still happens. Yes, there are those in this country who still buy into superstitions and flap-trap.

It was your use of superstition that threw me. I wouldn't classify it as a superstition either, rather more toward the lines of what vauge says later on, about how the reason people would disassociate themselves is not because being around gays makes them gay, but because they just don't like gays.

It's bigotry, not superstition.

And 10% of my life spent at NYU does not a bubble make.

vauge said:
Too late to edit (can but like to keep the same rules as everyone here).

I wanted to clarify the statment above. It sounded very harsh, but was not intended as such.

If I associate myself with CEO's of companies - then the perception would be that I am a CEO or in good company. Likewise, if I associated myself with racists or criminals, without question it would be the expectation that I was such.

The question was about being 'afraid' of association with homosexuals. The above could be another factor.

I don't know how well this carries over though...I mean, I associate with hispanics, am I worried about whether or not that will give the impression that I'm a hispanic? I look about as hispanic as I look gay....

RightatNYU said:
It was your use of superstition that threw me. I wouldn't classify it as a superstition either, rather more toward the lines of what vauge says later on, about how the reason people would disassociate themselves is not because being around gays makes them gay, but because they just don't like gays.

It's bigotry, not superstition.

And 10% of my life spent at NYU does not a bubble make.

LOL The "Bubble-dom" crack wasn't aimed at you! OMG no, it was aimed at places more like where I live!
:laughat: :slapme:

Excuse me for not making that more clear!
I can see where the confussion comes from. I didn't specify at all. Really, maya copa!

I swear I live in "Stepford central" they act like gangs and drugs and gays don't "happen" here...it couldn't...that only happens in larger cities!
Completely unaware that it not only does occur but has always been part of this community...at least for as long as I've been aware and I've lived here almost my entire life!
"Bubble-dom" is my nickname for this area.

JustineCredible said:
LOL The "Bubble-dom" crack wasn't aimed at you! OMG no, it was aimed at places more like where I live!
:laughat: :slapme:

Excuse me for not making that more clear!
I can see where the confussion comes from. I didn't specify at all. Really, maya copa!

I swear I live in "Stepford central" they act like gangs and drugs and gays don't "happen" here...it couldn't...that only happens in larger cities!
Completely unaware that it not only does occur but has always been part of this community...at least for as long as I've been aware and I've lived here almost my entire life!
"Bubble-dom" is my nickname for this area.

Haha, it's no problem at all. I was just a bit perplexed is all. And yea, it was interesting to see the effects of the first few openly gay students in my high school pass through. A few kids openly had problems, but the majority simply quietly disapproved. Then, as the closeted individuals saw the relatively low amount of displeasure, they came out one by one, surprising a lot of people, and making most of those who had had quiet disapproval think long and hard about whether the truth they knew about their friend really made them any different.

Although there's still a few neanderthals at my old school, it's become surprisingly tolerant for a school that's 97% white in Bumble**** Upstate NY

RightatNYU said:
I don't know how well this carries over though...I mean, I associate with hispanics, am I worried about whether or not that will give the impression that I'm a hispanic? I look about as hispanic as I look gay....

Ok, now you've put your foot in it! Guess that makes us even!

Honey, what do you think "Gay" looks like?

JustineCredible said:

That was part of the point I was trying to make, albeit quite poorly upon reflection. :doh

I know people who "look" caucasian as hell, but who are hispanic, and those who "look" hispanic but who are caucasian, same as with homosexuals.

I look about as hispanic as gay because I have no idea if I look hispanic or gay, it all depends on who's looking.

mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa! Wow, I haven't heard that expression used in a long time.

RightAtNYU, do you suppose our generation, as a whole, generally is tolerant (not necessarily accepting) of men and women who are gay? And do you think our parents' generation have become tolerant because of the way we are? Have what we see and hear on tv and in films helped, hindered, hyped the current state of affairs, however you would define the current state of affairs?

JustineCredible said:

Liberace and to a lesser extent Sinead O'Connor.

petrsykora39 said:
Liberace and to a lesser extent Sinead O'Connor.

Gee, I didn't know ALL gay men were flamboyent pianists with rhinstone encrusted costumes! WOW thanks for opening my eyes! I guess there just aren't all that many gay men in the world after all! (Sarcasm) :roll:

OMG so all gay women/ ie lesbians, all have shaved heads and tear up photos of the Pope on SNL? Holy Cow, guess I really don't have a whole to worry about seeing as there's only one like that in the world.! (Again, sarcasm) :confused:

Naughty Nurse said:
You think gay men look dead?

well be grateful at least he didn't call you a skinhead excommunicated Irish catholic with big doe eyes who tears up photos of the Pope on SNL. :shock:

JustineCredible said:
Gee, I didn't know ALL gay men were flamboyent pianists with rhinstone encrusted costumes!

Honey, where have you been? How could you not know that? Of course the rhinestones play havoc with the washing machine!

Naughty Nurse said:
Honey, where have you been? How could you not know that? Of course the rhinestones play havoc with the washing machine!

Sweety, I may be a lesbian, but that doesn't detract from my fag-hag status! Have you never heard of Dry Cleaning! ;)

If I'm straight and have gay friends, does that make me a fag-hag? Or does that term only apply to ugly, lonely girls with curly hair and freckles blasted on their faces who live vicariously through their many many gay friends? Actually, that would sound like a troll, no?

flip2 said:
If I'm straight and have gay friends, does that make me a fag-hag? Or does that term only apply to ugly, lonely girls with curly hair and freckles blasted on their faces who live vicariously through their many many gay friends? Actually, that would sound like a troll, no?

Well, sweetness, are you ugly with curly hair and freckles? You can tell, you're amongst friends.

flip2 said:

Honey, your idea of a fag-hag and my idea are really two different things.
I'm a happily out lesbian who is also a fag-hag. I don't dress all in "butch" attire or in "femme" I'm just me. I'm an artist therefore I do, act and wear whatever strikes me at the time!
I'm way more Fabulous than some pathetic gay bois I've seen.
But that's probably the only "lable" I'll admit to.
Being a fag-hag isn't necessarily a bad thing. I happen to enjoy the hell out of it!

Naughty Nurse said:
Well, sweetness, are you ugly with curly hair and freckles? You can tell, you're amongst friends.

Does curly hair and freckles equate to being ugly?
News to me.

Back
Top Bottom