• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Report: Limbaugh & Hannity Being Dropped By Cumulus Media

So he gets listeners, and that proves what exactly? That he's unbiased? :lamo

That he's successful. I know you'll tell me success doesn't matter because Rush is conservative but you asked.

Rush Limbaugh rushing out of Cumulus Media to WOR, with Sean Hannity in tow - NY Daily News

"Rush Limbaugh's contentious and seemingly inevitable divorce from Cumulus Media and WABC has moved another step closer to reality, according to a published report Sunday - and Sean Hannity may be leaving with him.

New York radio observers have been expecting for the past year that Limbaugh and probably Hannity would leave WABC, which is owned by Cumulus, for rival WOR.

WOR was purchased last year by Clear Channel, which owns Premiere Networks, which syndicates the Limbaugh and Hannity shows.

That he's successful. I know you'll tell me success doesn't matter because Rush is conservative but you asked.

And so....he's successful. Good for him. I wouldn't argue that he isn't.

He's successful, and that means....what? Jessica Simpson is successful too.

And so....he's successful. Good for him. I wouldn't argue that he isn't.

He's successful, and that means....what? Jessica Simpson is successful too.

Lol, just as I said.

Here's the deal... I bet...

Cumulus wanted a discount... and my bet is Limbaugh wanted more because he figures after all the money he made for them, they need to pay for their disloyalty. Limbaugh hinted at DUMPING Cumulus after the Fluke/Fluck/slut ordeal.

Cumulus count for about 5% of his stations, and in those markets he will have others eager to benefit from his massive audience.

Wanna bet he makes more money in his new deal serving the same markets?

If I were a Cumulus stockholder... I'd be one pissed off camper. You don't let Babe Ruth go when he's making and made you huge chunks of cash. They're going to lose 6-hours of prime time radio dominance... idiots.

You obviously have serious hearing problems.

The key word in this post is "made", as in past tense. Following the Sandra Fluke controversy, Cumulus Media and Clear Channel both lost advertisers. Limbaugh and Hannity may have lots of listeners but as was noted earlier, there are lots more PSAs than paid-for ads during Rush's time on air.

Cumulus stockholders just might be applauding this move as the blowhards have cost the company millions over the past two years.
May 9 (Bloomberg) -- Lewis Dickey, chairman, president & CEO at Cumulus Media, talks with Betty Lu about the money lost on advertising from Rush Limbaugh's syndicated program as advertisers left the program following controversial comments.

With just two companies, Clear Channel and Cumulus owning a combined total of more than 1400 radio stations in the US, and with the ownership of both companies holding openly conservative leanings, it has proven difficult for liberal voices to get to listeners ears.

The key word in this post is "made", as in past tense. Following the Sandra Fluke controversy, Cumulus Media and Clear Channel both lost advertisers. Limbaugh and Hannity may have lots of listeners but as was noted earlier, there are lots more PSAs than paid-for ads during Rush's time on air.
Limbaugh lost a few advertisers and has replaced them. He's still making money for everyone. You noticed I said "made" and "making".

Cumulus stockholders just might be applauding this move as the blowhards have cost the company millions over the past two years.
They had a slight blip... one time in what??? 20+ years!

Cumulus stock holders are pissed... they want results and you don't release the two top earners in the business.

As said before... Rush was probably pissed with the disloyalty of Cumulus, and figured they'd have to pay a premium plus a little.

With just two companies, Clear Channel and Cumulus owning a combined total of more than 1400 radio stations in the US, and with the ownership of both companies holding openly conservative leanings, it has proven difficult for liberal voices to get to listeners ears.
Libs do listen to Rush and Hannity... and you have your government run services like NPR.

You had Air Amerika... and I listened to AA once in a while for comedy sake. Why did Air Amerika die? Because nobody wanted to listen to the profanity laden drivel.

What did Limbaugh say then?

I want to get something out of the way here at the top. There was another Politico story that ran last night about this program and the radio stations that it is on, and is going to be on, in the future. And someday, someday I am looking so forward to being able to detail all of this for you, but suffice it to say nothing is gonna happen that you will notice. Nothing is going to change.

You are gonna be able to get this radio program on as many, if not more, radio stations down the road than it's on now, and what you're being treated to is just a public business negotiation. Negotiations have been taken public by one side of this. I thought it was done. I thought it was over with. And, folks, I would love... I mean, I love inside baseball stuff, and I would love to pass this on, but I must use proper business restraint here.

But I just want to assure you, everything's cool, and, as always, what's on the table for this program is growth.
One side took this public? Why did Cumulus talk about dropping #1 & #2? Because it seems to have already happened.

Why the "restraint" on the part of Limbaugh? Contracts and not wanting to flame someone he is under contract with. Being a class act and giving no ground for Cumulus to claim he injured the company.

Hannity mentioned something similar.

"Nothing is going to change"? Translation: I will still be in all major markets, just on other call numbers.

Why would Cumulus go public about dumping #1 & #2 if this was wrapped up a week ago?

He made reference to it (without actually saying too much) in the first 10 minutes and assured his audience nothing would change other than he might be on more channels.

Oh no, more channels!!!!!! Liberal heads explode. :lol:

When I listened to Rush in the early 90's, he had 25 million listeners daily. And the number of listeners mean all most nothing unless you are talking about the 25-54 demo, this is what advertisers pay money for. On occasion I listen to him and I am surprised to hear PSA's broadcast instead of real advertising.

Conservative dominate the radio spectrum and cable as well, but with all that they don't have the White House

Hahaha, Al Sharpton 1.00 :lol: That's racist.

Yep looking at that list of top radio shows, not a lot of Liberals in the running.

They make great movies though.

Didn't answer my question. He's successful. Which means what?

It means he's marketable and valuable. As much as I'm sure this bothers you, businesses are in the business of making money not soothing your hurt feelings and "punish" the guy responsible, which is what I think is kind of your fantasy. Rush pisses you off and you want him to pay in some way. It's really kind of weird.

Limbaugh lost a few advertisers and has replaced them. He's still making money for everyone. You noticed I said "made" and "making".

They had a slight blip... one time in what??? 20+ years!

Cumulus stock holders are pissed... they want results and you don't release the two top earners in the business.

As said before... Rush was probably pissed with the disloyalty of Cumulus, and figured they'd have to pay a premium plus a little.

Libs do listen to Rush and Hannity... and you have your government run services like NPR.

You had Air Amerika... and I listened to AA once in a while for comedy sake. Why did Air Amerika die? Because nobody wanted to listen to the profanity laden drivel.

there is 'belief' and there is reality
CC Media Holdings losses rise to $191M last quarter

The San Antonio company's net loss was significantly worse than its results in the same period the year before, when it lost $43 million.

At the same time, CC Media Holdings' revenue increased 3 percent to $1.7 billion in the quarter, up from $1.65 billion the year before.

“We are very pleased with our Company's progress in strengthening our businesses over the past year, and we look forward to continuing our momentum into 2013,” CC Media Holdings CEO Bob Pittman said in a statement.

For all of 2012, the company posted a loss of $424 million, compared to a $302 million loss in 2011.

The company has been struggling under a heavy debt load since two capital investment firms, Thomas H. Lee Partners and Bain Capital, loaded the company up with more than $20 billion in debt as part the deal to take the company private.

Clear Channel Settles Lawsuit for $$200 Million Dividend

Clear Channel Outdoor Holdings Inc. (CCO:US), which operates more than 750,000 outdoor advertising displays on five continents, agreed to declare a $200 million dividend to settle a shareholder lawsuit that challenged a $1 billion loan.

Clear Channel “denies all allegations of wrongdoing” in agreeing to the accord, and officials have considered “the strengths and weaknesses of plaintiffs’ claims,” company lawyers said in a memorandum filed with the SEC.
That's funny, in a pathetic way, CC denies allegations of wrongdoing but agrees to pay those horrible union workers anyway.

CC Media, Clear Channel Outdoor See 1st-Quarter Losses Widen Sharply

CC Media Holdings Inc. (CCMO) saw its first-quarter loss sharply widen as revenue dropped, while sister company Clear Channel Outdoor Holdings Inc. (CCO) also had a wider loss amid higher expenses tied to interest, depreciation and amortization.

CC Media, the vehicle used by private-equity firms Bain Capital LLC and Thomas H. Lee Partners LP to privatize Clear Channel Communications in 2008, reported a loss of $203 million, versus a year-ago loss of $143.6 million.

Revenue fell 1.3% to $1.34 billion. Revenue from media and entertainment, the company's largest segment, was down 2.2%,.

Operating expenses dropped 3.5%.

Meanwhile, Clear Channel Outdoor, which sells space on billboards, reported a loss of $74.3 million, or 22 cents a share, versus a year-ago loss of $43.9 million, or 14 cents a share.

Revenue was flat at $650.2 million, although the company said that, adjusted for currency effects, it rose 1%.

for Cumulus, 2012 was also not such a good year
Earnings (Loss) Per Share

Basic (loss) earnings per share ("EPS") is calculated for the three months and year ended December 31, 2012 by dividing undistributed net loss from continuing operations of $84.5 million and $92.1 million, respectively, adjusted for dividends declared on preferred stock for the three months and year ended December 31, 2012 of $2.7 million and $13.8 million, respectively, and the accretion of redeemable preferred stock for the three months and year ended December 31, 2012 of $1.0 millionand $7.7 million, respectively, by the weighted average number of shares of common stock outstanding during the applicable period, which was 173,628,466 shares and 162,603,882 shares for the three months and year ended December 31, 2012, respectively. Diluted EPS for the three months and year ended December 31, 2012 was calculated in the same manner as basic EPS. Potentially dilutive equivalent shares outstanding for the three months and year ended December 31, 2012 excluded from the computation of diluted loss per share consisted of approximately 40.5 million and 52.8 million, respectively, of additional shares of common stock to underlying outstanding warrants. Basic and diluted EPS from discontinued operations and net (loss) income are computed in the same matter as EPS from continuing operations, excluding any adjustments for dividends accrued and accreted.

Another way that Clear Channel has tried to cut losses is by laying off staff at the radio stations it owns and replacing local programming with more syndicated national talk.
Clear Channel quietly pruning scores of staff

Last week’s exit of controversial WSPD-AM 1370 talk-radio host Brian Wilson follows a yearlong pattern of dismissals, layoffs, and corporate maneuvering by Clear Channel Communications Inc. that has sent scores of people to the unemployment line.

Clear Channel, the largest radio station operator in the country, is partially owned by Bain Capital, which is the company founded and previously run by former Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney.

Debt-ridden Clear Channel, headquartered in San Antonio, has been quietly pruning its corporate structure since late 2011.

On-air talent and behind-the-scenes employees have been shown the door or programming has been eliminated in markets that include Los Angeles, Boston, Tampa, San Diego, Madison, Wis., Springfield, Mo., Oklahoma City, Nashville, and, most recently, Toledo.

Clear Channel Quietly Downsizing Radio Stations Across U.S.

Since late 2011, Clear Channel Communications has been quietly shedding radio staff from stations around the country, with the latest round of layoffs seeing hundreds of CCE employees cut on Dec. 6th.

The most recent round of cuts affected employees at stations in major markets across the U.S., including stations in Los Angeles, Dallas, San Diego, Detroit, Denver, Cleveland, Orlando, Austin and Miami. Cuts included on-air talent as well as production and administrative staff.

Damn ... This is bad news for the country . Those two assholes are the best recruiters for the Democratic party nation-wide we have ever seen.
The way they demonstrate the stupidity of racism always hurts the republicons.
I wish they could be on every channel 24/7.

Damn ... This is bad news for the country . Those two assholes are the best recruiters for the Democratic party nation-wide we have ever seen.
The way they demonstrate the stupidity of racism always hurts the republicons.
I wish they could be on every channel 24/7.

Total nonsense, people join the Democratic Party for the free **** they're going to get; and all the pandering. The Dems don't need Limbaugh or Hannity.

It means he's marketable and valuable. As much as I'm sure this bothers you, businesses are in the business of making money not soothing your hurt feelings and "punish" the guy responsible, which is what I think is kind of your fantasy. Rush pisses you off and you want him to pay in some way. It's really kind of weird.

It only pisses me off for the same reason that I'm unhappy that Nickelback is successful. It's a business decision by Cumulus, and in the end won't hurt him very much. Where is your "businesses ar in the business of making money" in the Paula Deen - CPC threads? Or is it just that I said something less than complimentary about Rush?

Reading over the Mediate story and then reading the comments here - tells me two things.

The headline was deliberately written to imply Limbaugh and Hannity would be staying with Cumulus but the story doesn't support that point.

AND

Some people seem to have reading comprehension problems.

There was never any doubt that the two talkers would not be heard by their audiences, simply because Clear Channel is the company that owns their syndication rights AND is the largest owner of radio stations in the country. Replacing Sean and el Rushbo with Mark Levin and Michael Savage does not change the tone of the Cumulus stations.

But it is nice to know that both companies are losing money on a daily basis

It only pisses me off for the same reason that I'm unhappy that Nickelback is successful. It's a business decision by Cumulus, and in the end won't hurt him very much. Where is your "businesses ar in the business of making money" in the Paula Deen - CPC threads? Or is it just that I said something less than complimentary about Rush?

I just don't understand why you're not content to just not listen to his show. Why do you want him to "pay" for offending you? My understanding is the Paula Dean is pretty much finished as far as endorsements go, isn't she? What's "CPC"?

Rush was interviewed by Greta and it will air tonight on Fox at 10:00 EST.

Back
Top Bottom