• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Report: Limbaugh & Hannity Being Dropped By Cumulus Media

Advertising issues? Oh that... LOL.

I love how the article says "The once dominant Rush Limbaugh Show..." like his numbers have slipped and he's losing listeners left and right... Yes it's true that nobody used to come close to Limbaugh's listenership, and while that isn't true anymore it isn't because he has faded, it's because Sean Hannity has nearly caught him. See for yourself:

View attachment 67151159

Those 2 dominiate the airwaves and if Cumulus drops them, they will suffer financially for it.

Maybe they could switch gears and go liberal... The problem is, when you take the listenership of Thom Hartmann, Ed Schultz, Stephanie Miller, Alan Colmes and Al Sharpton combined, that's still only 12 million listeners per week, far short of 13 and 14 million + that Hannity and Limbaugh each draw.

Perhaps you should have read further down the article and possibly paid alittle closer attention to the issue. Dual issues are at work here. It's not that Limbaugh and Hannity's radio shows have lost ratings. Rahter, it's about a contract dispute and lost advertising revenue.

Back in May, a source close to Limbaugh told POLITICO that the host was considering ending his affiliation agreement with Cumulus because CEO Lew Dickey was blaming the company's advertising losses on Limbaugh's controversial remarks about Sandra Fluke, the Georgetown law student. On an earnings call two days later, Dickey reported a $2.4 million first-quarter decline in revenue related to talk programming, which he attributed, indirectly, to Limbaugh's remarks about Fluke.

Perhaps you should have read further down the article and possibly paid alittle closer attention to the issue. Dual issues are at work here. It's not that Limbaugh and Hannity's radio shows have lost ratings. Rahter, it's about a contract dispute and lost advertising revenue.

We all know this, Dickey is a little *****boy and can't stomach the business.

I just don't understand why you're not content to just not listen to his show. Why do you want him to "pay" for offending you? My understanding is the Paula Dean is pretty much finished as far as endorsements go, isn't she? What's "CPC"?

I don't understand where you get this idea that I want him to "pay." Lookout for strawmen!

Oh phooey, now the liberals have to listen to Limbaugh for another 30 years. :lol:

Clearly, you haven't read the latter article. It doesn't give the "all-clear"; the article only reiterates that Cumulous hasn't budged from their position, but eludes that Clear Channel radio could go into negotiations at some point provided the asking price of their parent company, Premiere Radio Networks, isn't too high to retain both radio personalities.

there is 'belief' and there is reality

That's funny, in a pathetic way, CC denies allegations of wrongdoing but agrees to pay those horrible union workers anyway.

for Cumulus, 2012 was also not such a good year

Another way that Clear Channel has tried to cut losses is by laying off staff at the radio stations it owns and replacing local programming with more syndicated national talk.

Nice try, but you fail again. The question is... who is making them money?
Limbaugh is making them money. Hannity is making them money.

Nice try, but you fail again. The question is... who is making them money?
Limbaugh is making them money. Hannity is making them money.

Didn't bother to read any of the linked articles I see. Neither company is MAKING money, they are both showing negative returns for all of 2012 and the first quarter of 2013.

Clearly, you haven't read the latter article. It doesn't give the "all-clear"; the article only reiterates that Cumulous hasn't budged from their position, but eludes that Clear Channel radio could go into negotiations at some point provided the asking price of their parent company, Premiere Radio Networks, isn't too high to retain both radio personalities.

Clearly? You need better reading comprehension, my friend.
I read them both ... when they appeared ... both articles ... and it's "alludes" ... makes a difference ... and the point was clear ... Limbaugh will stay as long as he wants to.

He made reference to it (without actually saying too much) in the first 10 minutes and assured his audience nothing would change other than he might be on more channels.

Yes, he will continue to spread his manure over the airwaves until the strange group of Americans who listen to him grow up.

Or the ad dollars dry up. The latter is more likely.

Clearly? You need better reading comprehension, my friend.
I read them both ... when they appeared ... both articles ... and it's "alludes" ... makes a difference ... and the point was clear ... Limbaugh will stay as long as he wants to.

First off, I wasn't directing my commentary to you since you were the one who posted the links to the articles in question (See post #41).

Second, you are absolutely WRONG in your assessment of the content of both articles you posted.

From the article dated July 28, 2013:

Cumulus Media, the second-biggest radio broadcaster in the country, will be dropping Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity from its stations by the end of the year. POLITICO reports that negotiations broke down between Cumulus and the conservative hosts’ radio distributor Premiere Networks over distribution rights.

Back in March, Cumulus Media CEO Lew Dickey admitted that they were still having problems with advertisers over Limbaugh’s Sandra Fluke comments over a year after he made them. As a result, Limbaugh was reportedly considering cutting his ties to Cumulus, around the same time Mediaite learned from an insider that “the vast majority of national advertisers now refuse to air their ads during Rush Limbaugh’s show."

Whether Limbaugh was still considering to depart or not, Cumulus has preempted any potential move on his part by ending its relationship with the two Clear Channel hosts.

Cumulus has decided that it will not renew its contracts with either host, the source said, a move that would remove the two most highly rated conservative talk personalities from more than 40 Cumulus channels in major markets…

From the article dated July 29, 2013:

The latest public kerfuffle between the two companies is more likely to be a part of public negotiation between Cumulus and Premier over licensing costs than an admission that being associated with both hosts is politically toxic. This latest update is in fact an extension of the same battle over distribution pricing which has been ongoing since the spring.

According to an “industry source,” Byers reports, “Cumulus has decided that it will not renew its contracts with either host, the source said, a move that would remove the two most highly rated conservative talk personalities from more than 40 Cumulus channels in major markets.”

He adds that ongoing negotiations between Cumulus and Premier, the division of Clear Channel Communications which syndicates both programs, have broken down over the costs of distribution rights.

If Cumulus were to drop the Limbaugh and Hannity radio programs, Byers writes that it would be a “major shakeup for the radio industry.”

Both articles make it plainly clear that no new deal has been reached concerning Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity's continued tenure with Cumulus Media beyond 2013.

BTW, thanks for the spell check. :roll:

First off, I wasn't directing my commentary to you since you were the one who posted the links to the articles in question (See post #41).

Second, you are absolutely WRONG in your assessment of the content of both articles you posted.

From the article dated July 28, 2013:

From the article dated July 29, 2013:

Both articles make it plainly clear that no new deal has been reached concerning Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity's continued tenure with Cumulus Media beyond 2013

BTW, thanks for the spell check. :roll:

The point was that there was no chance Limbaugh would not have a radio home somewhere. That was the thrust of them July 29th piece.

That's not what you said, though. You said, "Limbaugh will stay as long as he wants to." That's a far cry different from stating "there's no chance Limbaugh would not have a radio home somewhere."

So he gets listeners, and that proves what exactly? That he's unbiased? :lamo

It proves that Limbaugh is way more popular than Air America and he's going to be here for a while. ;)

Yes, he will continue to spread his manure over the airwaves until the strange group of Americans who listen to him grow up.

Or the ad dollars dry up. The latter is more likely.

We've been hearing that for a WHILE now.

It proves that Limbaugh is way more popular than Air America and he's going to be here for a while. ;)

That's fine, I just think it's funny when the people who bitch the most about "biased media" are usually his biggest supporters. Which means bias doesn't bother them as long as it's their kind of bias. Go ahead and listen to him, but at least admit that you like biased media as long as it's the right kind of bias.

We've been hearing that for a WHILE now.

Maybe you should listen to what others are saying. Limbaugh has cost both Clear Channel and Cumulus Media, millions in lost revenue.

CC Media, Clear Channel Outdoor See 1st-Quarter Losses Widen Sharply - WSJ.com
CC Media Holdings Inc. (CCMO) saw its first-quarter loss sharply widen as revenue dropped, while sister company Clear Channel Outdoor Holdings Inc. (CCO) also had a wider loss amid higher expenses tied to interest, depreciation and amortization.

CC Media, the vehicle used by private-equity firms Bain Capital LLC and Thomas H. Lee Partners LP to privatize Clear Channel Communications in 2008, reported a loss of $203 million, versus a year-ago loss of $143.6 million.

Revenue fell 1.3% to $1.34 billion. Revenue from media and entertainment, the company's largest segment, was down 2.2%,.

Operating expenses dropped 3.5%.
Note that profits were down despite the cut in operating expenses. A cut that came mostly from cutting employees.

Cumulus CEO hits Limbaugh while reporting $2.4 million revenue loss - POLITICO.com

Cumulus Media today reported a $2.4 million first-quarter decline in revenue related to talk programming, a loss that CEO Lew Dickey attributed, indirectly, to Limbaugh's controversial remarks about Georgetown law student Sandra Fluke.

That's fine, I just think it's funny when the people who bitch the most about "biased media" are usually his biggest supporters. Which means bias doesn't bother them as long as it's their kind of bias. Go ahead and listen to him, but at least admit that you like biased media as long as it's the right kind of bias.

I don't think there are any complaints about "biased media". Personally, I never complain about how biased MSNBC is because they are open about their bias. Claiming to be objective when you are clearly biased, that's a different situation.

Maybe you should listen to what others are saying. Limbaugh has cost both Clear Channel and Cumulus Media, millions in lost revenue.

Note that profits were down despite the cut in operating expenses. A cut that came mostly from cutting employees.
As been pointed out to you, these claims about Limbuagh's impending doom or exit from radio? Been going on for decades. In fact right at 25 years. Guess what else people are talking about?
Rush Limbaugh Celebrates 25th Anniversary Of National Syndication | AllAccess.com

As been pointed out to you, these claims about Limbuagh's impending doom or exit from radio? Been going on for decades. In fact right at 25 years. Guess what else people are talking about?
Rush Limbaugh Celebrates 25th Anniversary Of National Syndication | AllAccess.com

Your response has nothing to do with my comment. You believe in capitalism, dontcha?

Tell us, how can a money-losing company continue to pay one person $38 million a year? Those on the right who complain about union pensions when cities are deeply in debt and say the only solution is to cut those pensions despite various legal contracts, should be able to explain why asking Limbaugh to take less money when his syndicator is losing money is different.

Your response has nothing to do with my comment. You believe in capitalism, dontcha?

Tell us, how can a money-losing company continue to pay one person $38 million a year? Those on the right who complain about union pensions when cities are deeply in debt and say the only solution is to cut those pensions despite various legal contracts, should be able to explain why asking Limbaugh to take less money when his syndicator is losing money is different.
Well if that is what you sincerely *think*, there is nothing very intelligent you have to discuss then. ;)

Yet once again, denial ain't a river in Egypt plus Your response has little to do with my comment.
Once again? Are you laboring under the impression you ever said that to me before? Now since the quote of mine that you replied to did address my comment, and instead you offer up some question canard in some other direction you want to ramble about, have a ball with that.:golf

Back
Top Bottom