• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Rehnquist is dead...

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
good point the tax cuts might not mean much to the lib elitists or to the corps, but it means alot to the common man, the whole thing that the left leaves out of the tax cuts is that it's our money in the first place, the tax cut isn't a cut of anything it's a reduction of YOUR money that you give to the gov't.

Yup...And a surplus means nothing more than the government taking to much money out of the taxpayer's pocket...

taxpayer said:
Wow! From $70.00 to $5,000 in 5 years?

SO, are you saying that our Gov took almost 1/3 of your pay out just in FEDERAL TAXES?:roll: :roll: :doh :doh

Nice Bush butt kiss try tho!

I'm not going to itemize the withholdings and elements of my return because, well, this is a public forum and I'm not going to put critical personal information on the net.

I will tell you, however, that the first 2 years were filed in N.Y. state and the following 3 in South Dakota. So you can figure out the difference in state taxes there. Also, my first son was born in 2001, so I got a tax brake on him (@ $1,500 Child Care Tax Credit) and my second son was born in 2004 (another @ $1,500 Child Care Tax Credit).
If my intent was to kiss G.W.'s @$$, and the numbers that I gave were only from federal taxes, don't you think that I would have added state taxes to thoughs numbers also as to make him look even better?
The numbers that I gave were the total tax return, not just the federal return.

If you still choose not to believe me, well, I'll just have to let you be because I'm not going to put my critical personal information on this public forum.

You know you hear liberals continue to whine about the tax cuts............I have not seen any of them rush to send theirs back.....The main reason liberals don't like tax cuts is because it gives them less money to waste on their failed give away programs...........

They hate tax cuts for the wealthy but they fail to realize that the wealthy pay 80% of all the taxes collected in this country.......They also fail to realize that these same wealthy people are the ones that do all the hiring and furnishing jobs.........Have you ever been offered a job by a poor person?

I myself am in the middlle income range and with the presidents tax cuts I have realized a $75.00 a month reduction in my income taxes and on my 2004tax return I would have had to pay $375. prior to the tax cuts and with them I received a refund of $360..........You do the math........

Thank you President Bush for your tax cuts...........

I'm all for tax cuts. Let's just cut spending too. I know I pay all of my bills, so should the government.

shuamort said:
I'm all for tax cuts. Let's just cut spending too. I know I pay all of my bills, so should the government.

AMEN to that!!

The discussion then leads to what bills we should have in the first place. If I can not afford cable, I cut it. If I can not afford to go out to the movies, I don't.

Busta said:
I'm not going to itemize the withholdings and elements of my return because, well, this is a public forum and I'm not going to put critical personal information on the net.

I will tell you, however, that the first 2 years were filed in N.Y. state and the following 3 in South Dakota. So you can figure out the difference in state taxes there. Also, my first son was born in 2001, so I got a tax brake on him (@ $1,500 Child Care Tax Credit) and my second son was born in 2004 (another @ $1,500 Child Care Tax Credit).
If my intent was to kiss G.W.'s @$$, and the numbers that I gave were only from federal taxes, don't you think that I would have added state taxes to thoughs numbers also as to make him look even better?
The numbers that I gave were the total tax return, not just the federal return.

If you still choose not to believe me, well, I'll just have to let you be because I'm not going to put my critical personal information on this public forum.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

My point was that its hard to believe that the State and Gov took $5,000 of your total income of $18,000 out in taxes. You would have had to have $5,000 taken out in taxes in order to get a return of $5,000.

But No problem!
Its too personal so lets just let it go.

Navy Pride said:
You know you hear liberals continue to whine about the tax cuts............I have not seen any of them rush to send theirs back.....The main reason liberals don't like tax cuts is because it gives them less money to waste on their failed give away programs...........
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Oh YA! Working Liberals would just hate it if the Fed Gov gave them a tax break!:roll: They HATE tax breaks.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

They hate tax cuts for the wealthy but they fail to realize that the wealthy pay 80% of all the taxes collected in this country.......They also fail to realize that these same wealthy people are the ones that do all the hiring and furnishing jobs.........Have you ever been offered a job by a poor person?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The wealthy do not "furnish jobs"!
They depend on people to do their work and have to pay people to do their work.
Without people doing their work they would not have a company!
The rich DO NOT start up companys to furnish work for the poor!
They start up companys to make money and without hiring workers they would soon be POOR too.
You seem to think that the rich go all around the country opening up places for the poor to work.
That just AIN'T so. You have things BACKWARDS!

I myself am in the middlle income range and with the presidents tax cuts I have realized a $75.00 a month reduction in my income taxes and on my 2004tax return I would have had to pay $375. prior to the tax cuts and with them I received a refund of $360..........You do the math........

Thank you President Bush for your tax cuts...........
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ok! Thats one thing you can thank Bush for if its true!
10-1 You cannot give another reason to thank Bush for. Unless you want to thank him for bringing us 911.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
BTW: I thought you said you owned a company and made $200,000-$300,000 dollars a year?
Thats NOT middle income range.

taxpayer said:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

My point was that its hard to believe that the State and Gov took $5,000 of your total income of $18,000 out in taxes. You would have had to have $5,000 taken out in taxes in order to get a return of $5,000.

But No problem!
Its too personal so lets just let it go.

I couldn't resist....I looked it up....In 2004 I made $18,767, I payed $5,184 in State and Federal taxes. That miens that the gov. took @32% of my income in taxes. Add to that my states sails tax, and I payed @38% of my income in taxes.

Thanks to Pres. Bush's tax cuts, however, I now get almost everything back at the end of the fiscal year.

Busta said:
I couldn't resist....I looked it up....In 2004 I made $18,767, I payed $5,184 in State and Federal taxes. That miens that the gov. took @32% of my income in taxes. Add to that my states sails tax, and I payed @38% of my income in taxes.

Thanks to Pres. Bush's tax cuts, however, I now get almost everything back at the end of the fiscal year.
So you get to live in a society that gives you lots of opportunities and you don't have to contribute to that society. And you find delight in such antisocial tax policies?

cnredd said:
Yup...And a surplus means nothing more than the government taking to much money out of the taxpayer's pocket...
And a deficit mean that it is taking to little. :2razz:

steen said:
So you get to live in a society that gives you lots of opportunities and you don't have to contribute to that society. And you find delight in such antisocial tax policies?

Antisocial?
Insulting people on blog forums is antisocial. Taking adventage of legal tax policy is good personal accounting.

steen said:

No It means spending should be cut.........

steen said:

50% correct...It can also mean that Congress is spending above what it takes in...Which, I believe, is the current situation...

It depends which aspect of overspending the general population is concerned with, and that is an endless debate that would never be solved....:roll:

Read the Energy Bill just passed and most will agree that it is pork that has been passed with backroom deals made on both sides...

Busta said:
Antisocial?
Insulting people on blog forums is antisocial. Taking adventage of legal tax policy is good personal accounting.
And you delight in the tax code because it lets you earn your money without contributing anything back to the society, right? Such tax laws are decidedly anti-social..

Navy Pride said:
No It means spending should be cut.........
Ah, so a surplus means that spending should be increased. OK, if you say so.

cnredd said:
50% correct...It can also mean that Congress is spending above what it takes in...Which, I believe, is the current situation...
So we need to take in more.

Or are you sayng that a surplus means that the Government is not spending enough?

steen said:
And you delight in the tax code because it lets you earn your money without contributing anything back to the society, right? Such tax laws are decidedly anti-social..

It is not anti-social, it is anti-communist. By spending my tax return I am contributing to the free market economy. I could legally choose not to receve the Child Tax Credit. My wife and I could legally file separately instead of jointly and pay more. I do not even HAVE too claim my children.

But hay, it's...
**"my [money], my choice"....
**"The Government should have no say in what a [privet citizen] can do with [his or] her [money]"...
**"[taxes] are a [citizens] privet [financhial] decision"....
**"the government has no right to legislate what two consenting adults can do in the [pocket book]".

Are you now trying to say that one person has the right to use another person's financial recourses agents their will?

Busta said:
It is not anti-social, it is anti-communist. By spending my tax return I am contributing to the free market economy. I could legally choose not to receve the Child Tax Credit. My wife and I could legally file separately instead of jointly and pay more. I do not even HAVE too claim my children.
But as you essentially are paying no taxes, you are letting others fund your kids' school and you are letting others fund the roads you drive on etc. All the things that the Government does for the citizens are what YOU use, but OTHERS pay for. A tax code that allows for that is very anti-social.

Are you now trying to say that one person has the right to use another person's financial recourses agents their will?
I am saying that the benefits of living in a society should be supported by the members of that society, instead of allowing free-loaders.

steen said:
But as you essentially are paying no taxes, you are letting others fund your kids' school and you are letting others fund the roads you drive on etc. All the things that the Government does for the citizens are what YOU use, but OTHERS pay for. A tax code that allows for that is very anti-social.

I am saying that the benefits of living in a society should be supported by the members of that society, instead of allowing free-loaders.

Those who are working, even though they are below the radar where income tax comes in, cannot avoid social security and medicare taxes. They can't duck the sales taxes, fuel taxes, or property taxes (that fund those schools), even if they pay rent, or various other add-ons that we all pay. Also they are adding to the GNP and helping boost the economy rather than being a drain on it.

What I'm saying is that the working poor or nearly poor are making a reasonable contribution and are reasonably paying their way. I have no problem with them even if they do escape income taxes. (A reasonable flat tax is still the way to go though.)

I have no problem with those who are truly incapacitated and cannot assist in their own support. I believe a moral society takes care of the truly helpless.

My problem is with those who can work but refuse to take a lower paying job while they get an education or learn a trade or earn their right to move up the ladder. Those are the ones who leach off society, are a drag on the economy, and take advantage of the generosity of others. And most of them do so think it is their right and see no reason they should say thank you.

Stepping off soap box now.

AlbqOwl said:
My problem is with those who can work but refuse to take a lower paying job while they get an education or learn a trade or earn their right to move up the ladder. Those are the ones who leach off society, are a drag on the economy, and take advantage of the generosity of others. And most of them do so think it is their right and see no reason they should say thank you.
And those who end off well-off, but cheat on their taxes? Are they heroes for not letting the Government take its share?

steen said:
Ah, so a surplus means that spending should be increased. OK, if you say so.

No it means that the government has to much of our money and there should be more tax cuts.......

steen said:

My sons are not yet in school and I have never owned a car nor have I ever had a license. By the time these things do happen, my degree in construction trades will be compleat and I will no longer qualify for most of the tax brackets and deductions that I currently enjoy because I will be making significantly more $$$.

Navy Pride said:
No it means that the government has to much of our money and there should be more tax cuts.......
Well, that must then mean that when there are deficits, the Government has to little of our money and there needs to be more tax hikes.

steen said:
Well, that must then mean that when there are deficits, the Government has to little of our money and there needs to be more tax hikes.

No it means you cut failed democratic giveaway programs........

steen said:

A surplus miens that the government has to much of our money.
A deficit miens that government spending needs to be cut.

Remember, the Constitution limits government, not citizens.

Back
Top Bottom