• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rap and drill music is part of America's racial problem

Some people are incapable of stepping out of the politics and just looking rationally at a subject because they feel doing so might be harmful to their parties narrative.
I think it may be more personal than that. They feel stepping outside of their politics will make they, as individuals, look bad. Think about it; if you've spent your online hours doing little more than denigrating mouth-breathing Fox News watchers, how would it look if you suddenly started sounding like one?

Your argument is that black culture is inferior to white culture.
No that's your narrative. The culture in these inner cities that are mostly black have spun off into some Twilight Zone of drugs, thugs, and murder. It self perpetuates over generations as children grow up with dad in prison as a role model and other kids with fathers in prison congregating together and you end up with Lord of the Flies. I'm not sure how to break this cycle and change this culture but I do know glorifying it in music will only fan the fire.

Another RW OP, with the usual suspect poster support, of an unresearched claimed cause, with no supporting evidence of fact, and is thus an unfounded claim and so dismissed. "Gangsta Rap" music reflects, not causes, urban crime and the violent lifestyles of inner-city youth. The OP does nothing more than make **** up to give the opportunity once more to point the finger at black people because they shouldn't "let your kids listen to this crap." and if doing so "...you are a bad parent." Disgusting.

Rap/hip hop doesn’t create “gang culture” anymore than first person shooter video games create mass shooters or country music creates “rednecks”

They are entertainment. Tv, video games, music, online activities…all entertainment.

Should parents monitor what their children watch, listen to and consume? Yes, that’s a parents job.

Does “gang culture” exist? Sure. But it doesn’t exist because of rap anymore than “redneck culture” exists because of country music.

My son fell asleep before the halftime show. I was a bit sad by that - those performers were icons that I grew up listening to. I can’t get past the fact that they looked almost as though they hadn’t aged in decades. It was a lot of fun and many of my friends all wished there was a full length concert. I guess the show was aimed at the younger side of Gen X because everyone I know around my age really enjoyed it.
Question is why do you enjoy music that glorifies shooting cops, shooting each other, misogyny and being a thug?

No that's your narrative. The culture in these inner cities that are mostly black have spun off into some Twilight Zone of drugs, thugs, and murder. It self perpetuates over generations as children grow up with dad in prison as a role model and other kids with fathers in prison congregating together and you end up with Lord of the Flies. I'm not sure how to break this cycle and change this culture but I do know glorifying it in music will only fan the fire.

Since blacks, and whites, listening to rap and not living in inner cities aren't killing each other, the problem is clearly not the music.

I suspect the OP is neither Black nor young. Neither am I. I am just smart enough to steer clear of stuff that is way off the mark for me. I do remember parents being aghast at Elvis Presley and later the Beatles. Nuff said?????????
All you need is love and blue suede shoes verses **** that bitch whore kill that cop shoot that nigger down. Yeah right.

Rap/hip hop doesn’t create “gang culture” anymore than first person shooter video games create mass shooters or country music creates “rednecks”
I think the difference is that (most) video games clearly present events in the context of a fantasy world. Drill music is something else entirely and very, very real.

No, my charge was neither wrong nor gratuitous and thus not a fallacy. Your unwillingness to condemn an art form that celebrates violence and misogyny is part of the larger problem.

I condemn music that celebrates violence and misogyny.

But the problem remains, with or without the music that celebrates violence and misogyny.

Another RW OP, with the usual suspect poster support, of an unresearched claimed cause, with no supporting evidence of fact, and is thus an unfounded claim and so dismissed. "Gangsta Rap" music reflects, not causes, urban crime and the violent lifestyles of inner-city youth. The OP does nothing more than make **** up to give the opportunity once more to point the finger at black people because they shouldn't "let your kids listen to this crap." and if doing so "...you are a bad parent." Disgusting.
Juan Williams wrote the article not me. He's black if you hadn't noticed.

I know.....RIGHT?

Like who DOESN'T enjoy a very pretty and uplifting, life affirming song about punching holes into human beings....am I right? AMIRITE?

Who, but a poor dumb conservative European White Male, could ever fail to see the intrinsic value and true therapeutic beauty of this AMAZING "art".....again: am I right? AMIRITE?!?!?

Any thoughts at all on why this particular demographic/genre has adopted "lets shoot some people and steal some shit!!" as its mantra Yakshi? What kind of behavior is this?

Its worthy of serious discussion IMO. The Hip Hop Culture is truly caustic to decent society, Juan Williams has a legit point and I think you should seriously reflect on that.

Personally, rap music isn't a problem for me because I rarely listen to it. Offensive lyrics don't inspire action in me in the same way that violent computer games and violent movies don't lead me to violence either.

"I saw Godfather II and then I blasted my friend in his car and stole his cannoli," said no one, ever.

Luckily for me, when I saw the halftime show during the Super Bowl, I didn't feel the need to rush to Twitter or the nearest Internet forum to express rage over the content, meanwhile ignoring the offensive content of numerous white-boy songs, movies, and video games that I casually accept without complaint.

No, instead I just enjoyed the show. Funny, that.

But sure, if the old angry whites want some input about young black music, by all means, let them chip in.

Let them all write a letter and mail it to someone or other.

Imagine if black guys created Counterstrike. Holy Christ. Imagining the white rage! Fox News wouldn't need CRT.

I suspect the OP is neither Black nor young. Neither am I. I am just smart enough to steer clear of stuff that is way off the mark for me. I do remember parents being aghast at Elvis Presley and later the Beatles. Nuff said?????????
No, it's not "nuff said."

When people glorify violence (and thus the suffering other human beings) and even worse, turn a tidy profit from that glorification, then I think much more needs to be said no matter what your skin color happens to be.

Question is why do you enjoy music that glorifies shooting cops, shooting each other, misogyny and being a thug?
I enjoy most music. You can enjoy music simply because you enjoy music…it doesn’t have to be anything more complicated than that.

I heard the pants thing started in prison and wasn't a sign of toughness. /h (for hearsay)
I think it was more accidental than that. Belts are often removed from those incarcerated because they can be used as a weapon. So the consequential "low-pants" look became the perp look.

No, it's not "nuff said."

When people glorify violence (and thus the suffering other human beings) and even worse, turn a tidy profit from that glorification, then I think much more needs to be said no matter what your skin color happens to be.

But slumlords are simply benign capitalists.

Another RW OP, with the usual suspect poster support, of an unresearched claimed cause, with no supporting evidence of fact, and is thus an unfounded claim and so dismissed. "Gangsta Rap" music reflects, not causes, urban crime and the violent lifestyles of inner-city youth.
Should we support or condemn that "reflection?"

Reminds me of my younger years where idiot conservatives parents who had a troubled kid who killed himself decided it was the fault of him having listened to Judas Priest albums and sued them (unsuccessfully). Same thing happened to Ozzy Osborne.

Then this accusation against Slayer...

This is just more of the same.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom