• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rap and drill music is part of America's racial problem

The dimoklan party calls that a silver lining
I'm sure there's a subset of racist that love the "niggers" killing each other and applaud the music which glorifies it.

It's more of a Rap singer's problem than any white conservative.

Considering that their competition and listeners kill each other off like predators?

View attachment 67375819
Horrifying!

The murder of not only rappers but of non-rappers among the ethnicity being discussed is truly sad.

Time magazine this week has the smiling and happy face of an 11-year-old African American boy as "Kid of the Year" for 2021.

He seems himself as an ambassador for kindness.

Hopefully, his parents can keep him safe and away from negative elements.

Rap is not the problem. Rap is a symptom of a deeper problem: urban violence and the toleration -- and even glorification for profit -- of that violence.

Now back to my point: my criticism of you is that this is a problem you would rather ignore as it doesn't seem to fit your politics. That is selfish.
I'd agree the problem came before the music. The music however exacerbates the already existing problem. Things go from bad to worse.

Horrifying!

The murder of not only rappers but of non-rappers among the ethnicity being discussed is truly sad.

Time magazine this week has the smiling and happy face of an 11-year-old African American boy as "Kid of the Year" for 2021.

He seems himself as an ambassador for kindness.

Hopefully, his parents can keep him safe and away from negative elements.

We can help by supporting programs that help mitigate the challenges of poverty and make policing about protecting community members and not about serving as an occupying force.

There are other things that have a much more negative impact on black society. Blaming rap is a way to avoid talking about those things.

Gosh, what could you possibly mean by those other "things." Tell us, I'm sure we're all wondering what you might think that they are.

We can help by supporting programs that help mitigate the challenges of poverty and make policing about protecting community members and not about serving as an occupying force.
Poverty isn't the issue. Culture is.

I'd agree the problem came before the music. The music however exacerbates the already existing problem. Things go from bad to worse.

You know, there are not only many white kids, but also millions of black kids who listen to this music and do not turn to violence.

He points out that the bulk of the audience is white kids, yet he spends all his time talking about why it's bad for Black kids. Double standard?

One way to attract black kids away from this rap scourge, since it seems to negatively affect them might be to not take books that are interesting to them out if school libraries.

You think this is the "culture"...because the European White Male has removed all of the good books that blacks like out of the libraries?

SERIOUSLY dude? Is that what you just said?

I do think you raise a great point though, READING is a great way to open up young minds.
I come from a broken (and BROKE) home myself, and pretty early on I discovered that books could take me to every corner of the globe and anywhere in the Universe, and it was almost 100% free if you had a library card.
I'm glad I got into reading, it probably saved my life or at least gave me a good reason to live back then.

But anywho: back to reality though its difficult to get on a great reading program if you're starving and being neglected at home and being shot at in the streets of your neighborhoods.

Gosh, what could you possibly mean by those other "things." Tell us, I'm sure we're all wondering what you might think that they are.

If I said it was because blacks are inferior to whites, would you disagree?

You know, there are not only many white kids, but also millions of black kids who listen to this music and do not turn to violence.
If nothing else they are desensitized to violence and more accepting of it and if those who are violent. They even glorify these thugs and try to look,speak and act like them. This is not good for the individual or the American culture in general.

You think this is the "culture"...because Whitey has removed all of the good books that blacks like out of the libraries?

SERIOUSLY dude? Is that what you just said?

I do think you raise a great point though, READING is a great way to open up young minds.
I come from a broken (and BROKE) home myself, and pretty early on I discovered that books could take me to every corner of the globe and anywhere in the Universe, and it was almost 100% free if you had a library card.
I'm glad I got into reading, it probably saved my life or at least gave me a good reason to live back then.

But anywho: back to reality though its difficult to get on a great reading program if you're starving and being neglected at home and being shot at in the streets of your neighborhoods.

Not what I said.

Watching white folks attack one black medium because they feel it is bad for black youth while denying them a more positive medium seems hypocritically dampaging to me.

I agree there is a kind feedback loop going on, but what J Brown is attempting to do is somehow cast entirely valid criticism of this genre as irrelevant (and likely racist) as it's criticism leveled at a symptom and not a root cause. It's increasing clear he doesn't care about the symptom or the cause.

I agree there is a kind feedback loop going on, but what J Brown is attempting to do is somehow cast entirely valid criticism of this genre as irrelevant (and likely racist) as it's criticism leveled at a symptom and not a root cause. It's increasing clear he doesn't care about the symptom or the cause.
Some people are incapable of stepping out of the politics and just looking rationally at a subject because they feel doing so might be harmful to their parties narrative.

Rap/hip hop doesn’t create “gang culture” anymore than first person shooter video games create mass shooters or country music creates “rednecks”

They are entertainment. Tv, video games, music, online activities…all entertainment.

Should parents monitor what their children watch, listen to and consume? Yes, that’s a parents job.

Does “gang culture” exist? Sure. But it doesn’t exist because of rap anymore than “redneck culture” exists because of country music.

My son fell asleep before the halftime show. I was a bit sad by that - those performers were icons that I grew up listening to. I can’t get past the fact that they looked almost as though they hadn’t aged in decades. It was a lot of fun and many of my friends all wished there was a full length concert. I guess the show was aimed at the younger side of Gen X because everyone I know around my age really enjoyed it.

A mind-numbingly stupid description. Our fellow citizens are literally being gunned down outside of their homes in some of these cities and all you can manage is woke hyperbole.

It's rather disgusting.

The criminal justice system has failed them. It always has.

"Leovy understands that the second terrible burden is that we — and especially the police — have grievously failed to make the community safe. We are not protecting the young men and their families. The violence has raged for generations, and we have not stopped it. The cases get short shrift — in L.A., homicide detectives couldn’t get notebooks or computers at the same time that administrative staffers at headquarters got take-home cars. Black victims too often are diminished or worse; Leovy reports something I first saw nearly 30 years ago — LAPD officers writing “NHI” on homicide incident reports: No Humans Involved. Terrified witnesses stop cooperating, and investigators, carrying huge caseloads, give up. Prosecutors eyeing their conviction rates turn away from cases in which all of those testifying have records and credibility problems.

Leovy writes eloquently of how policing in black neighborhoods today takes place in the shadow of our shameful racist history. A low-level misdemeanor arrest may be motivated by zero-tolerance ideas about crime control instead of the frank racism of the South after emancipation, when police and prosecutors deliberately criminalized whole communities to drive black men into the for-profit prison-labor system. But the result is too similar, profound and odious. The police and the law are not seen as there to help. Low-level offenses get a lot of attention; violence doesn’t. Angry communities withdraw, don’t report, don’t testify. Homicides don’t get solved; prosecutions for black-on-black killings in many such neighborhoods are in the low double digits. Police laugh when asked about clearance rates for nonfatal shootings. Victims, their families and their friends get guns and take care of things themselves.

One of the best parts of “Ghettoside” is a wonderfully apprehensible crash course in legal anthropology. This is not about America or Los Angeles or black neighborhoods, Leovy shows. It’s about law. Law is there to provide help to those who most need it; to remove from them the obligation and burden of self-protection; to say — and to mean — that when you and yours are threatened or hurt, the state will step in and protect you. Where the state does that, its machinery takes over after your son has been killed. Where it does not — whether that’s in Watts or in vendetta Sicily — you and his friends have to step up. And that way, we know, lies madness. The first gang member I ever interviewed told me 20 years ago in Boston that young men were killing each other “because they don’t believe in the law. The law don’t work, never will, in my neighborhood.” He didn’t make it to the end of the year."

The dimoklan party calls that a silver lining

No, you're the only one typing those words.

The words that you yourself typed were that black people killing black people are a silver lining.

That's all on you.

The criminal justice system has failed them. It always has.

"Leovy understands that the second terrible burden is that we — and especially the police — have grievously failed to make the community safe. We are not protecting the young men and their families. The violence has raged for generations, and we have not stopped it. The cases get short shrift — in L.A., homicide detectives couldn’t get notebooks or computers at the same time that administrative staffers at headquarters got take-home cars. Black victims too often are diminished or worse; Leovy reports something I first saw nearly 30 years ago — LAPD officers writing “NHI” on homicide incident reports: No Humans Involved. Terrified witnesses stop cooperating, and investigators, carrying huge caseloads, give up. Prosecutors eyeing their conviction rates turn away from cases in which all of those testifying have records and credibility problems.

Leovy writes eloquently of how policing in black neighborhoods today takes place in the shadow of our shameful racist history. A low-level misdemeanor arrest may be motivated by zero-tolerance ideas about crime control instead of the frank racism of the South after emancipation, when police and prosecutors deliberately criminalized whole communities to drive black men into the for-profit prison-labor system. But the result is too similar, profound and odious. The police and the law are not seen as there to help. Low-level offenses get a lot of attention; violence doesn’t. Angry communities withdraw, don’t report, don’t testify. Homicides don’t get solved; prosecutions for black-on-black killings in many such neighborhoods are in the low double digits. Police laugh when asked about clearance rates for nonfatal shootings. Victims, their families and their friends get guns and take care of things themselves.

One of the best parts of “Ghettoside” is a wonderfully apprehensible crash course in legal anthropology. This is not about America or Los Angeles or black neighborhoods, Leovy shows. It’s about law. Law is there to provide help to those who most need it; to remove from them the obligation and burden of self-protection; to say — and to mean — that when you and yours are threatened or hurt, the state will step in and protect you. Where the state does that, its machinery takes over after your son has been killed. Where it does not — whether that’s in Watts or in vendetta Sicily — you and his friends have to step up. And that way, we know, lies madness. The first gang member I ever interviewed told me 20 years ago in Boston that young men were killing each other “because they don’t believe in the law. The law don’t work, never will, in my neighborhood.” He didn’t make it to the end of the year."
No, people like you have failed them.

You have obviously been brainwashed by this so called music and see nothing wrong with glorifying violence, misogyny and thug culture in general. Those of us outside that bubble looking in are abhorred by this glamorous portrayal of all things evil.

Your problems are not my problems. And thank sweet baby Jesus for that. I live a relatively happy, fear-free life.

I suspect the OP is neither Black nor young. Neither am I. I am just smart enough to steer clear of stuff that is way off the mark for me. I do remember parents being aghast at Elvis Presley and later the Beatles. Nuff said?????????

Back
Top Bottom