• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Racists?

LMAO.

"Anti-racist"= racist against whites

You want White people to display their White Guilt.
Well, some poor confused souls will do that of course. They just dont know any better.
But I believe that most of us dont really give a crap what color a person is.
Of course, burning down cities every time a cop has a run in with a criminal may be changing some peoples perspectives I imagine.
I have a feeling in a few years time, most people will be wishing they hadn't been so "woke". Looking for a "do over" on that whole thing.
Forget black people. Think about America's treatment of the first peoples of America. Their treatment when we came here, and our treatment of them today. Tell me how badly white people have it in America. You should get out more often.

Two things. First, racist and racism don't have to refer to individuals. It's very easy for a white person to say 'I'm not a racist' because they rightly believe that they would never wear a hood or call someone a racial epithet. At the same time it is difficult for white people to admit they live in a society that has built in advantages for them. If you are white, and your forebears owned real estate in America before 1965, you have benefited from a racist power structure. Send your kids to public schools? You are benefiting from a racist power structure that funds those schools.

It's not enough for people to say...I'm not a racist. It's time for Americans to show that they are anti-racist.

no see, its much more simple than you make it out to be... I do not believe in the superiority of any race over another, and I believe in equality for all, therefore I am not racist.

I will help you correct inequality anywhere we find it, but not in order to shift the scale to the other side, so to speak, but to balance it as best we can.

2.) its not incorrect at all

maybe you lost your place in the numbers

here was the statement
" At the core of critical race theory is the idea that all white people participate in and benefit from a system that oppresses minorities. "

so I again repeat by definition its factually not, this does not make every white person a racist by any stretch of the imagination.
You're correct, I agree that all white people do benefit from being white in the American culture. Can you suggest an area where the white segment of our population is not on the most beneficial side of the scale?

no see, its much more simple than you make it out to be... I do not believe in the superiority of any race over another, and I believe in equality for all, therefore I am not racist.

I will help you correct inequality anywhere we find it, but not in order to shift the scale to the other side, so to speak, but to balance it as best we can.
Look around. We are all mixed race.

You're correct, I agree that all white people do benefit from being white in the American culture. Can you suggest an area where the white segment of our population is not on the most beneficial side of the scale?
poor white people living from day to day in squalor?

Cool. I suggest How to be an Anti Racist by Ibram Kendi.
"Kendi's title encompasses his main thesis: simply not being racist isn't enough. We must actively choose to be "antiracist," working to undo racism and its component policies in order to build an equitable society. To read this book is to relate to the author as an individual and realize just how much we all have in common. As Kendi writes: race is a mirage, assigning an identity according to skin color, ignoring the individual. --Chris Schluep, Amazon Book Review

or that race is a miniscule , completely trivial part of the genome of our species.
It is not even that. It is such a short period in our evolutionary history that we are all relatives in only a few generations.

In general, I hear talk about race and racism far and away more from older white conservative males than from any other demographic, and it isn't remotely close.

Fox News seems to discuss race and racism so much more than any other news agency.

I hear and see All Lives Matter much more than Black Lives Matter. It's almost as if one side is trying to drown out the other.

Personally, I'd be a much happier person if the older conservative whites stopped insisting something ineffectual about race and then asking, "Did I offend you?"

No, they don't offend anyone. In the same way, people aren't offended by flies. People tend not to be offended by emasculated nuisances hoping to be seen as victims.

It is as if they don't realize that they sound so wounded. They're seem more sensitive than aloe-laced toilet paper made from bunny fur.

American conservative men, again in general, used to have more character.

The liberals I know care more about racism than any other issue.

poor white people living from day to day in squalor?
The segment would be poor people living day to day in squalor. The question would be do you think white people are disproportionately represented in this segment. I don't know the answer, my guess is that they are not.

??? are you reading what was actually wrote lol
what does this have to do with what was actually written and the fact that what I quoted does not make people racist

The segment would be poor people living day to day in squalor. The question would be do you think white people are disproportionately represented in this segment. I don't know the answer, my guess is that they are not.
oh i don't necessarily think they are disproportionate, but they are represented. I am just saying they would be the answer to your question possibly. in places there are a lot of them. I doubt they gain much benefit just from being white.

Two things. First, racist and racism don't have to refer to individuals. It's very easy for a white person to say 'I'm not a racist' because they rightly believe that they would never wear a hood or call someone a racial epithet. At the same time it is difficult for white people to admit they live in a society that has built in advantages for them. If you are white, and your forebears owned real estate in America before 1965, you have benefited from a racist power structure. Send your kids to public schools? You are benefiting from a racist power structure that funds those schools.

It's not enough for people to say...I'm not a racist. It's time for Americans to show that they are anti-racist.

What about all the white people who didn't have any advantages? Or whose ancestors belonged to hated minority groups? They don't appreciate your wagging fingers.

As I understand it, there have been more than a couple of lawsuits against universities over precisely that, though it's even worse in that scenario to be an academically high performing student of asian ethnic background.

As I understand it, there have been more than a couple of lawsuits against universities over precisely that, though it's even worse in that scenario to be an academically high performing student of asian ethnic background.
Worse to be a legacy, they always get in and they are white and rich.

When you can honestly judge a person by who they are and not what they look like you are for equality for all.

That doesn't make sense. How do you decide what a person is? And how we look is part of who we are -- it shows how a person takes care of themself, or doesn't. And do you judge people by their intelligence? It is partly inborn and not really someone's fault if they are less intelligent. What about personality? A lot of that is inborn.

And even if you could somehow decide what a person really is, there can never be equality for all. What would that mean? No differences between people?

That doesn't make sense. How do you decide what a person is? And how we look is part of who we are -- it shows how a person takes care of themself, or doesn't. And do you judge people by their intelligence? It is partly inborn and not really someone's fault if they are less intelligent. What about personality? A lot of that is inborn.

And even if you could somehow decide what a person really is, there can never be equality for all. What would that mean? No differences between people?
Yes look at your kids, judge them and then look at someone else's kids.

I'd check West Virginia if I were you.
98% White. Its a real Caucasian Utopia, everyone thriving with lots of "privilege". Their engineering feats would amaze you, the number of cinderblocks they can get under a house. Or a car in the yard.
😂 :LOL:

I'd check West Virginia if I were you.
98% White. Its a real Caucasian Utopia, everyone thriving with lots of "privilege". Their engineering feats would amaze you, the number of cinderblocks they can get under a house. Or a car in the yard.
😂 :LOL:
Poor black and white people have been pitted against each other since the Civil War to keep them from looking up.

What about all the white people who didn't have any advantages? Or whose ancestors belonged to hated minority groups? They don't appreciate your wagging fingers.
I don't like the term "privilege," because it gives connotation that you've been given this wholly undeserved, special favor.
What I'd have preferred it be called is something like "un-disadvantage" because that really is the crux of the matter.

People who look white are "privileged" not because they are advantaged; but because they are not forced carry or to deal with the assumptions or even stigmas that society has about people of color. Especially in American society where it used to be the case where all entertainment, media, political, business, etc., etc. figures were white or looked white. It made it so that people who look white were just assumed to be the norm, while everyone else was different.

I'm white. My ethnic heritage is generic European. Even if my ancestors had been disadvantaged; the fact that I look white I know is a huge advantage to me in the USA and abroad. I noticed it most substantially when I have been abroad on work trips. Since I'm out of my comfort zone, I'm already paying way much more attention to my surroundings and social interactions. However when I've been in S. America, Mexico, India, SE Asia and some other areas of the world — the advantage is palpable to the point of it being uncomfortable. A lot of people will take one look and right off assume that because you are white and foreign, it means that you are rich, important or famous. The amount excessive courtesies and weird behavior I have gotten is absurd. (A lot of begging too.)

In the USA I do not feel it is as blatant. However, if I were caught in a sticky situation like say one that involved the police. I'm glad that I look like a generic white European.

And to say so is not "wagging fingers." It's a realistic assessment of how white-looking people are viewed by an American or even global audiences.

I don't like the term "privilege," because it gives connotation that you've been given this wholly undeserved, special favor.
What I'd have preferred it be called is something like "un-disadvantage" because that really is the crux of the matter.

People who look white are "privileged" not because they are advantaged; but because they are not forced carry or to deal with the assumptions or even stigmas that society has about people of color. Especially in American society where it used to be the case where all entertainment, media, political, business, etc., etc. figures were white or looked white. It made it so that people who look white were just assumed to be the norm, while everyone else was different.

I'm white. My ethnic heritage is generic European. Even if my ancestors had been disadvantaged; the fact that I look white I know is a huge advantage to me in the USA and abroad. I noticed it most substantially when I have been abroad on work trips. Since I'm out of my comfort zone, I'm already paying way much more attention to my surroundings and social interactions. However when I've been in S. America, Mexico, India, SE Asia and some other areas of the world — the advantage is palpable to the point of it being uncomfortable. A lot of people will take one look and right off assume that because you are white and foreign, it means that you are rich, important or famous. The amount excessive courtesies and weird behavior I have gotten is absurd. (A lot of begging too.)

In the USA I do not feel it is as blatant. However, if I were caught in a sticky situation like say one that involved the police. I'm glad that I look like a generic white European.

And to say so is not "wagging fingers." It's a realistic assessment of how white-looking people are viewed by an American or even global audiences.

My ethnicity is similar, and I have had similar experiences abroad. Yes, often the default treatment in some countries is so subservient or even obsequious to make me very uncomfortable. I would add the Middle East to your list. I tried to look on it as a cultural attitude that one should be excessively polite to guests/outsiders, but that might just have been a story that I was telling myself. The discomfort is impossible to shake.

Never judge a book by its cover. I think you are missing the point here. Looking at a person of a different color and assuming they are different from you as a human being is racist. Color should not be a factor Is what I am saying.

Back
Top Bottom