• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Quarantine the infectious (1 Viewer)

Would you be okay with getting locked up for 14 days if it stopped the virus in two week's time?

• Need more info

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Yes, quarantine me

Votes: 31 72.1%
  • No, don't quarantine me

Votes: 5 11.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

swing_voter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
So in Korea, Taiwan and Singapore, if you were found to have a fever, the government would quarantine you for 14 days. No physical contact with another human.

This combined with self distancing like we do in America effectively stopped the virus in its tracks. Korea, Taiwan and Singapore are virus free.

Would you be okay with getting locked up for 14 days if it stopped the virus in two week's time? If you were infected?

So in Korea, Taiwan and Singapore, if you were found to have a fever, the government would quarantine you for 14 days. No physical contact with another human.

This combined with self distancing like we do in America effectively stopped the virus in its tracks. Korea, Taiwan and Singapore are virus free.

Would you be okay with getting locked up for 14 days if it stopped the virus in two week's time? If you were infected?

It would not work in America because we don't have the testing infrastructure and contact tracing in place to do it. South Korea was able to keep the pandemic under control and keep their economy functioning because they had that testing infrastructure in place.

Only if I volunteered. But that kind of defeats the purpose... we already have self-quarantine.

South Korea was able to keep the pandemic under control and keep their economy functioning because they had that testing infrastructure in place.
Yes, we have far too many government regulations and hurdles in place. They were able to incorporate the private sector almost immediately. Lesson learned. We need to work on deregulation.

Yes, we have far too many government regulations and hurdles in place. They were able to incorporate the private sector almost immediately. Lesson learned. We need to work on deregulation.
Nothing in reality supports that.
everything we know and are seeing contradicts that.

private is silos..they are not connected. They have profit as motive. It’s incredible for a market economy..well regulated as all in th world are. It is Or now and never will be geared for national security or pandemic logistics, without governmen. Even our marker economy failed repeatedly until it was both better regulated, social nets, and government oversight and stabilizers (quasi public fed?).

That requires testing which we seem incapable of doing.

So far, all this "social distancing," and "stay at home order" has done for me is give me the righteous excuse to do what I wanted to do anyway.

I could be a hermit if it wasn't for my passion for performance.

Seriously, if you see me out having a good time at a bar, a festival or some other big event with a lot of people, you can bet your ass I'm getting paid for it.

Otherwise, I'd be at the lake or in my living room rolling around the floor with my grandkids.

It's not that I don't like people. I love people.

I just have no desire to leave my little castle and bump dickheads with friends and associates any more than I absolutely have to.

Thirty years ago, I was the exact opposite. I had to be going somewhere. I had to be doing something. I needed to be in the company of people. The more the merrier.

But not anymore.

Bah. Humbug.

It would not work in America because we don't have the testing infrastructure and contact tracing in place to do it. South Korea was able to keep the pandemic under control and keep their economy functioning because they had that testing infrastructure in place.

Those pesky details. ;)

Two week 100% lockdown is trivial both economically and mentally. 2 weeks sick leave from government...done. Granted, we don’t have testing up to make that the silver bullet this late..but boy would that have been nice. Non-compliance of our rowdy population and right wing media ensures ts hard to make work on a voluntary basis.

I am ok with being totally quarantined for 2 weeks for known disease or confirmed unprotected exposure.

We are not currently "quarantined". I am allowed to go to work. I can go to the store and necessary trips. I can take a walk outside with social distancing.

That requires testing which we seem incapable of doing.

No money in testing as private citizens will not want to pay for their own testing, having the government pay for it is "socialized medicine" so people will go around infected and infect others

A South Korea style system might work.

However, most people don't seem to understand what it means. It requires preparing well in advance (which the US didn't do), extensive testing (which the US doesn't have), highly invasive surveillance of the people who are found to be infected (which won't be easy), and months of strict shutdowns for everyone.

It also didn't completely eradicate the virus. If you could really lock up every single person for 3 weeks, that would pretty much end it. But that's not possible, because there are just too many essential services that bring people into contact with one another.

It also means that relaxing restrictions may well cause a second wave. We'll have to see how South Korea does over the next few weeks.

Swing_voter:

Such a strategy would not work. While the normal period between contacting the virus and developing symptoms is about 3-5 days and the statistically significant longest period is about 14 days, some cases have taken between 21 and 25 days to emerge in infected hosts. So to be safe and certain the quarantine would have to last at least 25 days. Then there is the matter of asymptomatic carriers and post infection carriers to consider. Finally there are several strains of the SARS-CoV-2 virion so wider spectrum testing would be needed.

Since there is no capacity to test the whole population for Covid-19 yet, there is no point in quarantining folks unless they are known to be infected or have come out of a hot-spot. Voluntary isolation is all we can do at this point while many more testing kits are manufactured. Each person needs to be tested at least twice and often three times, so America alone could need almost a billion test kits in order to make a nation wide, comprehensive quarantine feasible.

Cheers.
Evilroddy.

Nothing in reality supports that.
everything we know and are seeing contradicts that.

private is silos..they are not connected. They have profit as motive. It’s incredible for a market economy..well regulated as all in th world are. It is Or now and never will be geared for national security or pandemic logistics, without governmen. Even our marker economy failed repeatedly until it was both better regulated, social nets, and government oversight and stabilizers (quasi public fed?).
So you'd rather repeat a slow response mired in government regulation than save lives with a response of the sort South Korea was able to do with the private sector?

No money in testing as private citizens will not want to pay for their own testing, having the government pay for it is "socialized medicine" so people will go around infected and infect others

Are you kidding me? If the federal government offered testers 1/2 of the $2.2T then you can rest assured that testing would be very widespread by now. With that level of funding, testers could pay folks to get tested and still make money.

So you'd rather repeat a slow response mired in government regulation than save lives with a response of the sort South Korea was able to do with the private sector?

It goes much further than that, that's the problem with Republican Voters like you, you don't understand what you believe beyond the bumper sticker slogan, the basic idea, deregulation and privatization solves all is totally not what occurred in South Korea.

It's government was more efficient, took it seriously (something the moron you support did not) and had a plan that yes, utilized their very good bio-tech industry, but still used the full weight of government to enact and the fact is they had just recently had a potentially serious problem with MERS and so had at least some experience dealing with something like this, though not as infectious.

So far, all this "social distancing," and "stay at home order" has done for me is give me the righteous excuse to do what I wanted to do anyway.

I could be a hermit if it wasn't for my passion for performance.

Seriously, if you see me out having a good time at a bar, a festival or some other big event with a lot of people, you can bet your ass I'm getting paid for it.

Otherwise, I'd be at the lake or in my living room rolling around the floor with my grandkids.

It's not that I don't like people. I love people.

I just have no desire to leave my little castle and bump dickheads with friends and associates any more than I absolutely have to.

Thirty years ago, I was the exact opposite. I had to be going somewhere. I had to be doing something. I needed to be in the company of people. The more the merrier.

But not anymore.

Bah. Humbug.
Neil Young's got some great lines to that effect, in "On the Beach":

I need a crowd of people,
but I can't face them
day to day,

I need a crowd of people,
but I can't face them
day to day.

No way... Easter is coming up and we have a huge family reunion planned at the country club...

Quarantine the infectious

what are they doing in Russia? do they still have wifi there if that happens?

Are you kidding me? If the federal government offered testers 1/2 of the $2.2T then you can rest assured that testing would be very widespread by now. With that level of funding, testers could pay folks to get tested and still make money.

Note

That would be socialized medicine. The US government outside of Sanders would never support that

By having competent "experts" is my best guess.

It doesn't make sense. No other country in the world had that many tests, that were reasonably accurate.

China's test kits were ****ed up. The WHO's tests were ****ed up. The CDC's test were ****ed up. But, ROK nailed it? When no one else could? Things that make you go Hmmmm!

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that ROK's stats are bull****.

Note

That would be socialized medicine. The US government outside of Sanders would never support that

Nope, that would be using common sense. What makes no sense is giving away money to the majority of folks who did not lose any income to in order to try to buy votes in an election year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom