• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pro STEM-anti arts movement- it doesn't work like that

There is a movement of "Stem bros" who think only STEM is important. I used to be kinda like that. However I figured it won't work. Technology ultimately is tied to ones culture and culture is defined by it's arts.

Just look at the inventors during the Renaissance and early modern period. Let's say Da vinci They were often fluent in both the arts and sciences.

STEM IS important, very important, but the flaw is the notion that school kids can "do without" things like the arts, or that one requires us to cancel out the other, like it's some kind of Hobson's Choice.
To borrow a quote from "Mister Holland's Opus":

Vice Principal Wolters: I care about these kids just as much as you do. And if I'm forced to choose between Mozart and reading and writing and long division, I choose long division.

Glenn Holland: Well, I guess you can cut the arts as much as you want, Gene. Sooner or later, these kids aren't going to have anything to read or write about.

1675046598714.png

There is a movement of "Stem bros" who think only STEM is important. I used to be kinda like that. However I figured it won't work. Technology ultimately is tied to ones culture and culture is defined by it's arts.

Just look at the inventors during the Renaissance and early modern period. Let's say Da vinci They were often fluent in both the arts and sciences.
That's all fine but you don't teach history, patriotism, duty, loyalty to country, work ethic, you are going to loose your nation. We have a real problem with some who don't want to teach those things by teaching history and tradition of America.

My graduate school faculty advisor had legitimate concerns about my dichotomy of interest between art and science. I have to say that he was correct, because I still can't choose just one.

That's all fine but you don't teach history, patriotism, duty, loyalty to country, work ethic, you are going to loose your nation. We have a real problem with some who don't want to teach those things by teaching history and tradition of America.
How do you teach “patriotism” with out indoctrination?

History is taught in every school in the US.

Why on earth would anyone teach “patriotism” or “loyalty to country” in schools? Schools aren’t supposed to be indoctrination camps, right?

History is taught in every school in the US.

Why on earth would anyone teach “patriotism” or “loyalty to country” in schools? Schools aren’t supposed to be indoctrination camps, right?
Next thing will be specific salute to the leader…..

…and a big dose of curiosity, imo.

Creativity is what came up with string theory.

Imagination. To be a good scientist, you have to have a phenomenal imagination.
I guess. Then accountants, ballerinas, and engineers are creative. As are elementary school teachers, bus drivers, and policemen.

I guess. Then accountants, ballerinas, and engineers are creative. As are elementary school teachers, bus drivers, and policemen.
Certain kinds of accounting requires creativity, yes. Some, less so. Hence the variety of personality types that are drawn to that field.

Engineers are 100% creative. They DESIGN shit.

Of course it takes creativity to figure out how to get little kids to focus and learn! Of course, some teachers are better than others.

Bus drivers? Not sure about that one.

Police? Maybe a detective, sure.

Certain kinds of accounting requires creativity, yes. Some, less so. Hence the variety of personality types that are drawn to that field.

Engineers are 100% creative. They DESIGN shit.

Of course it takes creativity to figure out how to get little kids to focus and learn! Of course, some teachers are better than others.

Bus drivers? Not sure about that one.

Police? Maybe a detective, sure.
So, everyone is creative.

So, everyone is creative.
Except bus drivers.

Truck drivers.

Crab fishermen.

Assembly line workers.

Well, unless...any of those folks are artists on the side!

You know what? How about, instead of applying blanket stereotypes to people based on careers...we evaluate folks based on their individual traits and characteristics?

You know what? How about, instead of applying blanket stereotypes to people based on careers...we evaluate folks based on their individual traits and characteristics?
Not the topic of the thread.

Are you suggesting there were more artists like DaVinci during the Renaissance?
I am a firm believer in going to college to learn something that organizations are willing to pay for.
There is a list of some of the least important college programs. Young people contemplating college should consider the value of certain college studies that they think are interesting.
If more young people did that we might not be worrying about our president wanting to cancel hundreds of billions of dollars in student debt.

Have the day you deserve.

So basically, what you're trying to tell us here is that engaging you is a complete waste of time because you'll ignore what anyone else says, make pronouncements at them, and if they don't accept them you'll get all pissy at them?

Ok, message received.

You don't need to be anti-Arts to be pro-STEM but the arts people often do get above themselves. Someone told me that Isaac Asimov couldn't write.

It is fine for the arts people to design a good looking interior for a airliner, but they don't get to design the plane. I can live with a repulsive interior design for the time it takes to get where I am going.

Read about the C. P. Snow Two Cultures controversy?

Back
Top Bottom