• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pro STEM-anti arts movement- it doesn't work like that

Andyh2299

National Mentor
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
There is a movement of "Stem bros" who think only STEM is important. I used to be kinda like that. However I figured it won't work. Technology ultimately is tied to ones culture and culture is defined by it's arts.

Just look at the inventors during the Renaissance and early modern period. Let's say Da vinci They were often fluent in both the arts and sciences.

Double Jeopardy

Incoherent posts for 1000, Alex!

Technology is just a tool to enable us to use our natural resources in the most efficient productive manner.

Actually this one makes a weird kinda sense,

Art and technology are two sides of the same coin.
Can you expand on that?

DaVinci was unique in the art and tech thing. Ima outta my comfort zone, but are there other examples of people well versed in both arts and sciences?

I think art basically is a technology.

Can you expand on that?

DaVinci was unique in the art and tech thing. Ima outta my comfort zone, but are there other examples of people well versed in both arts and sciences?

I'm sure there are a few people with both but the type of traits that make people excel in STEM and opposite of those that make people excel in arts.

I'm sure there are a few people with both but the type of traits that make people excel in STEM and opposite of those that make people excel in arts.
Not sure I get the gist of your post. Maybe beer thirty here?

Not sure I get the gist of your post. Maybe beer thirty here?

Things like a strict adherence to structure and rules are very valuable in STEM but a hindrance to an artist

There is a movement of "Stem bros" who think only STEM is important. I used to be kinda like that. However I figured it won't work. Technology ultimately is tied to ones culture and culture is defined by it's arts.

Just look at the inventors during the Renaissance and early modern period. Let's say Da vinci They were often fluent in both the arts and sciences.
Just look a Nobel Prize winner Werner Heisenberg. He was also an articulate philosopher.

Things like a strict adherence to structure and rules are very valuable in STEM but a hindrance to an artist
That’s kinda what I thought you meant. I’ve always been of the opinion that art and science are not really related, but there are an awful lot of things that are labeled “art.”

Just look a Nobel Prize winner Werner Heisenberg. He was also an articulate philosopher.
“Philosophy” is defined as the love of wisdom.

That leans more to science than art. As I have stated upthread, “art” encompasses a wide range of things, where science/tech is a little more narrowly defined.

Can you expand on that?

Interesting article on this subject.

Interesting article on this subject.

Thanks for that respons. I admit to being of the mind-set that see art and science not having much overlap.

“Philosophy” is defined as the love of wisdom.

That leans more to science than art. As I have stated upthread, “art” encompasses a wide range of things, where science/tech is a little more narrowly defined.
Was Plato a scientist?!

I don't think of scientists being creative.
Considering step 1 of the Scientific method is observation/question of course scientists are creative. You have to be creative to come up with questions based on observations and develop hypothesis

Back
Top Bottom