• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Pot!

What should be legalized?

• Total voters
Fantasea said:
While you're at it, why not re-institute the Chinatown opium dens. That way, folks could enjoy themselves in peace and quiet. :roll:
I was expecting to get a little flak on that idea, but that's ok., I can handle it. While I don't expect everyone to see things my way I encourage debate on the idea because the war on drugs is not, will not, and cannot work. The war on drugs is a war on basic economics, if there is a supply, there must be a demand, while we cannot fight the demand with laws and bullets, we can allow the subculture to be a safer even possibly contributing factor in our country. I do believe however that anti-drug education should be refined and then stressed so that my idea wouldn't have to be utilized all that much if accepted.

Blackflagx said:
I have a good solution for this. More freedom, stricter punishment. For example, If you did crack and then hit and killed somebody with your car, you should be tried for murder. Drug users should not get off easy because they were on drugs. If you increase the punishment, drug users will realize that it is stupid to drive on crack. They will realize that it is best to use drugs responsibly in the comfort of their own home.

Crack Cocaine
Cocaine base, or crack, is a vapor form of cocaine that can be smoked. It reaches the brain even faster than the injected form, with shorter and more intense effects. Due to the short, intense nature of the smoked form, crack is extremely addictive. Street names for crack cocaine include: rock, crackers, smoke, Bebe, bings, and French fry.

Types
Crack cocaine consists of dried shavings of cocaine combined with baking soda or ammonia in water. A freebase form is made with ether.

Methods of Use
Crack cocaine is smoked as a vapor.

Effects on the Central Nervous System
Cocaine acts on the nervous system almost immediately. It works as a stimulant and induces a feeling of wakefulness, high energy, and euphoria. It also increases heart rate, blood pressure, and body temperature.

Intoxication
Cocaine intoxication may produce hallucinations and other perceptual disturbances, racing heartbeat, agitation, panic, paranoia, impulsive and aggressive behavior, and poor judgment. In some cases, cardiac or respiratory distress can cause death.

Acute stimulant intoxication is often very similar to symptoms shown by schizophrenic or otherwise psychotic individuals. When these symptoms subside, the user may "crash" and experience depression, anxiety, and sleep disturbance, along with a craving for more of the drug.

Life Risks
Long-term use of crack cocaine has been associated with personality changes, especially in adolescents. The manufacture of crack cocaine in drug labs often results in dangerous, accidental explosions because of a flammable compound (ethyl ether) that is used in the process. Free-basing the drug is also dangerous due the flammability factor.

Withdrawal
Withdrawal from crack cocaine may be accompanied by many unpleasant symptoms:
Apathy
Depression
Disorientation
Irritability
Oversleeping
Warning Signs
A person who is addicted to crack cocaine may:
Change the circle of friends and withdraw from non-using family and friends
Borrow or steal money to buy the drug
Compulsively seek crack and dwell on the next use
Experience personality changes, poor judgment, and loss of interest in previously enjoyable activities
Become evasive or lie about activities or whereabouts

"They will realize that it is best to use drugs responsibly in the comfort of their own home"

The words responsible and recreational drug use do not go together in a sentence. Doing this stuff puts yourself and the people around you at risk and puts your judgement in question immediately.
People will always be irresponsible and stupid to a degree. Big brother has to watch out for you if you are too irresponsible or stupid to do it yourself.What they need is a way to make money off it and subsidize the rest of us. Maybe a work for crack prison program or something for addicts. Of course it would have to be task before reward oriented because after you take a hit you are useless for awhile. Crack addicts are not very good workers though so it probably would not work

I smoked pot for ten years and only quit a year ago because my business required much more of my time. When used with responsibilty it is really less harmful than alcohol. Im just speaking from experience thats all.

I voted for legalizing it. It's pot people, nothing more.

Any drug is bad when you can't handle it. Personally, alcohol is my poison and I don't feel that I am any more out of control than sober, but I have seen some problem drinkers.

RightConservative said:
I smoked pot for ten years and only quit a year ago because my business required much more of my time. When used with responsibilty it is really less harmful than alcohol. Im just speaking from experience thats all.

I voted for legalizing it. It's pot people, nothing more.

Welcome to Debate Politics!

I'm not sure about using pot being less harmful then alcohol, but then I'm not speaking from experience. But I agree with your thinking. Legalize it, we're spending way too much time and resources trying to keep people from doing something they're obviously going to do whether society likes it or not. And I think the harm to society from marijuana is at least at or below that of alcohol.

LaMidRighter said:
Any drug is bad when you can't handle it. Personally, alcohol is my poison and I don't feel that I am any more out of control than sober, but I have seen some problem drinkers.
Rest assured, those problem drinkers you saw were thinking the same thing about you.

Alcohol is insidious in that the drunk doesn't 'feel' that he is drunk although all those around him recognize the condition he is in. One does not have to be falling down drunk to be incapable of making reasonable decisions.

Think about this. An intelligent guy with money in his pocket about to leave a bar after several hours makes a pit stop first. He looks in the mirror and thinks he looks OK and, of course, he feels fine enough to drive home.

He gets in the car, starts driving, and a few blocks later is pulled over for 'weaving'. He blows into the balloon and it registers above the legal limit and he gets a DUI citation. By the time he's done with the court and his insurance premium increase, it's cost him about a thousand dollars and considerable embarrassment.

Look at the choices he had. He could have walked home; phoned for a ride; taken a cab.

Why did he choose to drive? He's not stupid; he's not looking for trouble; he wouldn't knowingly endanger himself or others; he wouldn't want to risk a DUI and all the agony that goes with it. So, why? Simple. His thinking was, as you say, "I don't feel that I am any more out of control than sober".

That's exactly what alcohol does to one's feelings.

If instead of alcohol, he was high on pot, would it be any different?

Last edited:
Fantasea said:
Rest assured, those problem drinkers you saw were thinking the same thing about you.

Alcohol is insidious in that the drunk doesn't 'feel' that he is drunk although all those around him recognize the condition he is in. One does not have to be falling down drunk to be incapable of making reasonable decisions.

Think about this. An intelligent guy with money in his pocket about to leave a bar after several hours makes a pit stop first. He looks in the mirror and thinks he looks OK and, of course, he feels fine enough to drive home.

He gets in the car, starts driving, and a few blocks later is pulled over for 'weaving'. He blows into the balloon and it registers above the legal limit and he gets a DUI citation. By the time he's done with the court and his insurance premium increase, it's cost him about a thousand dollars and considerable embarrassment.

Look at the choices he had. He could have walked home; phoned for a ride; taken a cab.

Why did he choose to drive? He's not stupid; he's not looking for trouble; he wouldn't knowingly endanger himself or others; he wouldn't want to risk a DUI and all the agony that goes with it. So, why? Simple. His thinking was, as you say, "I don't feel that I am any more out of control than sober".

That's exactly what alcohol does to one's feelings.

If instead of alcohol, he was high on pot, would it be any different?
The end of your statement is basically what I am getting at, however, I did not mean someone who drinks and makes a stupid decision, I meant people who make a harmful one, such as fighting, driving when they can't see straight, etc. truth is, not all drunk drivers are out of control, but the law can't stand if there are exceptions in enforcement, so all who blow over the presumed limit must go to jail, fair enough. I have given the keys to friends with no argument when I have been clipped, I have also walked away from fights drunk because I can handle liquor, don't know about other drugs, and won't take the chance, hell, I've seen violent potheads. Again, a problem drinker doesn't mean someone who happens to drink alot, they are the ones who become a problem when they drink.

Does the whole idea that pot is illegal seem strange to anyone else? Here is a commonly occurring plant through much of the US. Were it not for controls, any stroll in the woods or a field through much of the US might find a hemp plant. There is no process for manufacturing this drug, it is consumed in it's natural form. So, here is this little plant, not bothering anyone. If you pick a piece of it off, set it on fire and inhale the smoke - or even if you eat it; you have broken the law. How is this possible? I can set other plants on fire and inhale the smoke all day long and no one will care. I understand how you could illegalize a process (distilling alcohol, processing opium to morphine to heroin, etc..), but how can you illegalize consuming a wild plant that is not endangered?

This could also apply to those little mushrooms that grow in cow poop - but that's a whole other story...

LaMidRighter said:
The end of your statement is basically what I am getting at, however, I did not mean someone who drinks and makes a stupid decision, I meant people who make a harmful one, such as fighting, driving when they can't see straight, etc. truth is, not all drunk drivers are out of control, but the law can't stand if there are exceptions in enforcement, so all who blow over the presumed limit must go to jail, fair enough. I have given the keys to friends with no argument when I have been clipped, I have also walked away from fights drunk because I can handle liquor, don't know about other drugs, and won't take the chance, hell, I've seen violent potheads. Again, a problem drinker doesn't mean someone who happens to drink alot, they are the ones who become a problem when they drink.
Whenever I hear the expression, "I can handle liquor", I suggest a visit to:

http://www.tcada.state.tx.us/issues/danger.html

I understand what you're saying, I had to take a class on this already for a bar card. Those statistics on the site are subjective rules as alcohol is a drug and effects everyone differently, but for the most part, they are accurate. What I am getting at is that my behavior does not exhibit a radical change when I am drinking my normal amount, it takes an extremely excessive amount of alcohol to cause the actions you would see in the "typical" drunk from my end, and yes, I have been that drunk before. On average, however, I don't believe that on my normal benders I am any more or less dangerous(exept behind the wheel, which I avoid), I do get a bit hungry though, so maybe cows or whatever they put in fast food should be careful.

walrus said:
Does the whole idea that pot is illegal seem strange to anyone else? Here is a commonly occurring plant through much of the US. Were it not for controls, any stroll in the woods or a field through much of the US might find a hemp plant. There is no process for manufacturing this drug, it is consumed in it's natural form. So, here is this little plant, not bothering anyone. If you pick a piece of it off, set it on fire and inhale the smoke - or even if you eat it; you have broken the law. How is this possible? I can set other plants on fire and inhale the smoke all day long and no one will care. I understand how you could illegalize a process (distilling alcohol, processing opium to morphine to heroin, etc..), but how can you illegalize consuming a wild plant that is not endangered?

This could also apply to those little mushrooms that grow in cow poop - but that's a whole other story...
The problem is not what you do to the plant, but what the plant does to you. :shrug:

LaMidRighter said:
What I am getting at is that my behavior does not exhibit a radical change when I am drinking my normal amount, it takes an extremely excessive amount of alcohol to cause the actions you would see in the "typical" drunk from my end, and yes, I have been that drunk before. On average, however, I don't believe that on my normal benders I am any more or less dangerous
How would you know? You feel great and when you see yourself in a mirror, you look fine. However, your faculties have been impaired. Your judgment as well as your reaction time have been undermined. The effect of alcohol is insidious, remember?

Fantasea said:
How would you know? You feel great and when you see yourself in a mirror, you look fine. However, your faculties have been impaired. Your judgment as well as your reaction time have been undermined. The effect of alcohol is insidious, remember?
I know because my friends tell me if I act out of line or goofy, and they hold nothing back. I'm not arguing the effects of alcohol, hell, that's the charm of boozing it up, you get too busy trying to stand up when you're smashed that you don't have time to think about what's bothering you, it's not a fix, it's just giving yourself a break. There is a comraderie with drinking as well, like cigars and a fine cognac(or brandy?), beers and football, etc.

LaMidRighter said:
I know because my friends tell me if I act out of line or goofy, and they hold nothing back. I'm not arguing the effects of alcohol, hell, that's the charm of boozing it up, you get too busy trying to stand up when you're smashed that you don't have time to think about what's bothering you, it's not a fix, it's just giving yourself a break. There is a comraderie with drinking as well, like cigars and a fine cognac(or brandy?), beers and football, etc.
Not to put too fine a point on it, with all due respect, I would suspect that any person who is able to make such statements about himself is about ready to hook up with AA.

Maybe I should explain it a little. Over here it's not seen as a problem, think of that any way you want to. I drink when my day is wrapped up, and only binge every once in awhile. I am in the South, and South Louisiana to be exact, which is a little more accepting of the drinking lifestyle. Again, I say if my behavior hurts no one but myself, it shouldn't be a problem.

Saw a problem with my last post, I also meant to mention that I do not drink every day, and in fact only binge every once in awhile, sorry. :3oops:

LaMidRighter said:
Saw a problem with my last post, I also meant to mention that I do not drink every day, and in fact only binge every once in awhile, sorry. :3oops:

I end most every day with a "Jack" on my back deck- with a nice cigar usually. The question would be whether or not it's a problem? Personally I rarely have more then one. Some days, on weekend usually, I'll have two or three. Enjoying a drink shouldn't be considered a crime. Personally I don't think we should be criminalizing the personal use of marijuana either. It's not something I prefer (yes I tried it years ago) but if adults choose to enjoy their free time that way let them. Plus I think there's plenty of evidence showing it has medical uses.

Not only that, but stress kills more people than anything drug related yearly. If a drink or joint takes the edge off of a type A personality and gives them a little relaxation, what's the big deal?

An entire population of people cannot be punished for a few people's mistakes. There are people who do use illegal drugs responsibly. Should they be punished because others do not? NO! Allowing the government to do this is giving it far too much power.

alex said:
An entire population of people cannot be punished for a few people's mistakes. There are people who do use illegal drugs responsibly. Should they be punished because others do not? NO! Allowing the government to do this is giving it far too much power.

Welcome to Debate Politics.

LaMidRighter said:
Maybe I should explain it a little. Over here it's not seen as a problem, think of that any way you want to. I drink when my day is wrapped up, and only binge every once in awhile. I am in the South, and South Louisiana to be exact, which is a little more accepting of the drinking lifestyle. Again, I say if my behavior hurts no one but myself, it shouldn't be a problem.
Right. No problem. That is, until your liver starts killing you and your family begins to suffer and the medical bills start to eat up all your assets or else start to eat up my tax money. That's when the problem kicks in.

That's also when it's too late to do anything about the problem except invest in a nice cemetary plot and make sure that your will is in order.

Addictions are killers. But you already know that. Here's a brief biography of one fellow who managed to live to the ripe old age of 55.

Famous Drinkers

W.C. Fields

Alice Sheffield
Sunday September 14, 2003
The Observer

W.C. Fields left home in 1891 at the age of 11 due to the violent relationship he had with his father, and taught himself to juggle while living on the street. This quickly brought him recognition and Fields became a successful vaudeville performer, marrying his juggling assistant, Harriet Hughes, when he was 19. His talent for mimicry made him famous in film and radio, and his favourite characterisation was of a cruel drunk, famed for his dislike of animals and children. Fields's heavy drinking in real life gave him the look to carry off an extremely convincing act, with his bulbous red nose and blotchy face.
He continued to work hard on screen (David Copperfield, My Little Chickadee, The Bank ****) but as alcoholism took hold he moved on to radio. Fields died a lonely alcoholic death in Pasadena, California on Christmas Day 1946, a day he always professed to hate.

LaMidRighter said:
Not only that, but stress kills more people than anything drug related yearly. If a drink or joint takes the edge off of a type A personality and gives them a little relaxation, what's the big deal?
One can easily rationalize anything that one wishes to rationalize.

Fantasea said:
One can easily rationalize anything that one wishes to rationalize.
true, but currently, the AMA believes that an ounce of alcohol a day can actually improve heart health, lower cholesterol, and may even be a deterrent to Alzhiemers disease. 1oz. = a shot of whiskey, a glass of wine 4oz., 1 12 oz. can of beer. And the CDC has already classified Heart Disease as the number one killer in America, followed by I believe cancer or diabetes, they run so close I get them mixed up. Drug related deaths are much lower on the list, accidents are I believe 12th, and alcohol related diseases are much lower.

Pacridge said:
I end most every day with a "Jack" on my back deck- with a nice cigar usually. The question would be whether or not it's a problem? Personally I rarely have more then one. Some days, on weekend usually, I'll have two or three. Enjoying a drink shouldn't be considered a crime. Personally I don't think we should be criminalizing the personal use of marijuana either. It's not something I prefer (yes I tried it years ago) but if adults choose to enjoy their free time that way let them. Plus I think there's plenty of evidence showing it has medical uses.
Enjoying a drink is not considered anything. Problems arise when one is not enough and two are too many.

Back
Top Bottom