• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"Please don't let me die...."

"...I'm eleven years old..."

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20140421/grand-crossing/girl-shot-on-easter-please-dont-let-me-die-im-only-11-years-old?utm_source=outbrain&utm_campaign=Chicago

How can the City of Chicago allow this to go on? I say bring in the National Guard. Impose a curfew. Whatever it takes to clean up the cesspool that is inner-city Chicago.

Good morning Maggie

When I read this, actually right from when I saw the title of your thread, it brought back memories for me from about 10 years ago when there was a terrible pile-up of traffic during a winter storm white out on a highway here in Southern Ontario. Many people died and I distinctly remember one survivor saying he watched and listened as a young girl in the back seat of her crushed car was burned to death screaming for help and saying she was too young to die but there was nothing he could do to save her because she was trapped and he couldn't get her out. It still haunts many who were involved in the accidents.

I often have a very deep sense of helplessness that is very saddening when faced with situations where there seems to be absolutely no solutions. These crimes in Chicago aren't going to end from outside influence - they will only end when the people involved decide they've had enough. And since those involved have such little respect for life, often not even their own, there seems little hope things will change.

Good morning Maggie

When I read this, actually right from when I saw the title of your thread, it brought back memories for me from about 10 years ago when there was a terrible pile-up of traffic during a winter storm white out on a highway here in Southern Ontario. Many people died and I distinctly remember one survivor saying he watched and listened as a young girl in the back seat of her crushed car was burned to death screaming for help and saying she was too young to die but there was nothing he could do to save her because she was trapped and he couldn't get her out. It still haunts many who were involved in the accidents.

I often have a very deep sense of helplessness that is very saddening when faced with situations where there seems to be absolutely no solutions. These crimes in Chicago aren't going to end from outside influence - they will only end when the people involved decide they've had enough. And since those involved have such little respect for life, often not even their own, there seems little hope things will change.

What a horrible memory for people. Lord.

CJ, I just don't understand the mindset of people who pretty much "hear-no-evil-see-no-evil." I know this: my mom would have lived in a cardboard box under a bridge before she would have risked my life in the neighborhood she lived in. A damned cardboard box.

You're right. Until they've had enough, it's just going to keep on keepin' on.

You need to organize armed posses to start standing watch because your police are doing jack all. You need to put the gang bangers on notice they will be hunted down and either run out of town or killed without trial or mercy.

Sounds good, except in the real world, granting armed militias law enforcement powers tends to attract the George Zimmermans. Their actions then lead to the formation of self defense militias which tends to lead a larger conflict.

Civil rights can be enforced when the city has gotten rid of most of the trouble makers. This something the PEOPLE of Chicago need to do, not the police or the government but the people.
Whatever the solution is, it is not this. Private militias voiding the civil rights of real and imagined "trouble makers" in pursuit of social stability is something out of the 1980s militia free for all in Lebanon, or 1920s Germany.

Last edited:

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20140421/grand-crossing/girl-shot-on-easter-please-dont-let-me-die-im-only-11-years-old?utm_source=outbrain&utm_campaign=Chicago

How can the City of Chicago allow this to go on? I say bring in the National Guard. Impose a curfew. Whatever it takes to clean up the cesspool that is inner-city Chicago.
Garry Mc Carthy is an asshole. He and Rahm should both be fired.

What a horrible memory for people. Lord.

CJ, I just don't understand the mindset of people who pretty much "hear-no-evil-see-no-evil." I know this: my mom would have lived in a cardboard box under a bridge before she would have risked my life in the neighborhood she lived in. A damned cardboard box.

You're right. Until they've had enough, it's just going to keep on keepin' on.

We have a lot of social housing here in Toronto and some pretty rough, gang infested areas, but there have been situations that have improved when the residents themselves fought back and cooperated with police and asked them to come in and clean things up. About a year ago, we had several tactical units "assault" a high rise building and sweep all floors, all units, and they cleared out hundreds of illegal guns, drugs, drug money and "equipment" and rounded up a bunch of gang members and enablers. The residents were cheering them on. You need that type of commitment on the part of the average, law abiding residents to get a neighbourhood cleared of the infestation that's ruining their lives.

We have a lot of social housing here in Toronto and some pretty rough, gang infested areas, but there have been situations that have improved when the residents themselves fought back and cooperated with police and asked them to come in and clean things up. About a year ago, we had several tactical units "assault" a high rise building and sweep all floors, all units, and they cleared out hundreds of illegal guns, drugs, drug money and "equipment" and rounded up a bunch of gang members and enablers. The residents were cheering them on. You need that type of commitment on the part of the average, law abiding residents to get a neighbourhood cleared of the infestation that's ruining their lives.

Many law abiding people in the neighborhoods of Chicago where much of this is happening are afraid to come forth, fear of reprisals. The PD doesn't have a good rapport with citizens, some citizens view the PD as being against them. Many citizens live in fear.

Many law abiding people in the neighborhoods of Chicago where much of this is happening are afraid to come forth, fear of reprisals. The PD doesn't have a good rapport with citizens, some citizens view the PD as being against them. Many citizens live in fear.

Many do here too - and some who've come out to challenge gangs and gang activity have suffered for it, including being killed. But there is no other way to combat it - if the people in the situations don't stand up for themselves, no one else will.

As for the police, there's no doubt there are some corrupt police in every big city - that too takes those on the inside, the good officers, to stand up and weed out the bad.

It all sounds a little naïve and dreamworld-ish but it has to start at the source to be effective. No one will help you if you're not prepared to help yourself.

What in the name of Allah and Jesus does that have to do with a bunch of thugs shooting at kids in Chicago?
Answer: Nothing, nothing at all, but let's not pass up an opportunity to spew already discredited BS.
God, Allah, Jesus, Yawee, have all left Chiraq to let it die as a city. Much like Detroit.
The people there have had their god given rights stripped away, they cared little about the safety of their children and grandchildren. They let the "thugs" win. They handed over the city to them wrapped in a bow.

Sounds good, except in the real world, granting armed militias law enforcement powers tends to attract the George Zimmermans. Their actions then lead to the formation of self defense militias which tends to lead a larger conflict.

Whatever the solution is, it is not this. Private militias voiding the civil rights of real and imagined "trouble makers" in pursuit of social stability is something out of the 1980s militia free for all in Lebanon, or 1920s Germany.

So what do you do when the police wont do their jobs. Sorry but bringing in the military is an even worse idea. People need to start standing up for themselves other wise they are just sheep to be slaughtered. The gang bangers identify themselves at the moment right out in the open. Make them hide and maybe the police will be able to get a handle on the problem instead of running scared like they are now. Right now the gang bangers are seriously infringing on the rights of the people of Chicago to live their lives in peace and are infringing on the right to life. I am a big civil liberties guy when it comes to the police and the government, but when it comes to ordinary citizens arm them up and let them defend their turf.

So what do you do when the police wont do their jobs.

I am a big civil liberties guy when it comes to the police and the government, but when it comes to ordinary citizens arm them up and let them defend their turf.

You find somebody who will make the police do their jobs. I am also supportive of the rights of individual citizens to defend themselves. I dont support the formation of civlilian militia groups and then giving them police powers.

The fundamental truth is that some, or many of these militia groups very quickly confuse protection of personal interests with "protecting the community" and / or break down into competing factions very quickly.

You find somebody who will make the police do their jobs. I am also supportive of the rights of individual citizens to defend themselves. I dont support the formation of civlilian militia groups and then giving them police powers.

The fundamental truth is that some, or many of these militia groups very quickly confuse protection of personal interests with "protecting the community" and / or break down into competing factions very quickly.

They have been for decades trying to get Chicago to get the police to their jobs. So far nada. Sorry but if I lived in that cess pool, I would have taken action by now. Either moving or getting together with the neighbors and making life miserable for the gangsters. I don't support police powers for people in an official capacity either just arming them and letting them take care of the problem themselves if they are so inclined. I am surprised that the sheriff and police chief hasn't been run out on a rail yet.

It is probably far too late to un**** Chicago.

This is the kind of senseless tragedy that breaks my heart. As a budding young radio reporter I saw more death than many of my peers who went to war, and blood spattered babies are just too ****ing much.

I am sorry to say that such measures will not work. Any suppression of corruption at this level will only create or delay more violence, move it or alter it into something far more grotesque.

While I have stood for civil rights ahead of all most of my life, there are times when "rights" have to be suspended for the greater good, in this case innocent children.

Because of the uniqueness of US law, the only nation on earth guaranteeing the right to be a one man army, that right has to go away at least there, for now. First you take their guns away....then go after the gangs.

You have to get to the source, but as long as the US lets anyone have a machine gun, children will be made into soldiers to kill other children....and it appears in this case for fun.

You need to organize armed posses to start standing watch because your police are doing jack all. You need to put the gang bangers on notice they will be hunted down and either run out of town or killed without trial or mercy. You need frontier justice with the police stepping aside or ASSISTING you. You ought to calling for the police and sheriffs heads. Imposing a curfew and bring the national guard is only going to stop things for a little bit while they are there. Everyone in Chicago needs to be armed. You need to out gun and out intimidate the gangs. Make it very very uncomfortable to be in a gang. Cry havoc and set the dogs every known gang member in your city. Run them all clean out. Make them know fear it the pits of their stomachs. People in that city of yours needs to take responsibility for themselves and do this themselves and kick the asses of any moronic twit that gets in their way including the civil rights people. Civil rights can be enforced when the city has gotten rid of most of the trouble makers. This something the PEOPLE of Chicago need to do, not the police or the government but the people. This should have been dealt with by the government long ago, they haven't so you have to do what they don't have the will for.

Do you really want the national guard setting up check points and the like. I have been there done that, you don't want the military doing police work they suck at it. You use the military for killing people and blowing stuff up, or their logistics capabilities, not for police work.

Then send the Military to the known gang members houses and kill them dead.

I once read a book wherein the main character said "Why wait for them to do it AGAIN?" He put made a silencer for his .22lr auto- loading pistol, practiced a bit on 50 yd torso targets and went hunting gang-bangers. After he'd shot a dozen or so, within a square mile or so, scattered over a month, the bangers had no choice but to re-located their area of operations. They got the message. It was either that or be gut-shot, sooner or later.

Where are the militias when you need them the most?

They'll show up in great numbers to help a wealthy cattleman run off the Feds, yet they aren't known for running off the gangs of urban US cities.They could do it too! Just find the funding to hire a group as mercenaries and give them a list of the names of the gangs in town. They can scratch the names off, one at a time.

There is no punishment great enough for people who do that sort of thing.

We seem to think we can take care of the evil men in foreign lands who kill and maim children in the name of Allah. First, let's see if we can stop the evil men in our own lands who kill for their gangs.

Highly ironic.

The effort to reduce gang related violence was halted, altered, reduced with lack of funding and by reallocating people and other recourses when we started the war on terror - all eyes turned to the Middle East and people quickly forgot what was going on at home.

Highly ironic.

The effort to reduce gang related violence was halted, altered, reduced with lack of funding and by reallocating people and other recourses when we started the war on terror - all eyes turned to the Middle East and people quickly forgot what was going on at home.

Yes, it is ironic, especially when you compare the number of people killed by the Islamic crazies to those killed by home grown gang banger crazies.

Yes, it is ironic, especially when you compare the number of people killed by the Islamic crazies to those killed by home grown gang banger crazies.

There was a show on TV a few years ago that talked about Kabrini Green and what happened there. I remember thinking 'why hadn't I heard of this' and the war on terror is the reason. I realized then that I knew more about foreign unrest and issues than I do what goes on in my own nation.

I always have that in my mind: we have crap going on in our own country that just gets ignored because people tend to default to "the US is noble and just - and we help others" and they forget that we need to help ourselves, too.

It is probably far too late to un**** Chicago.

Mixture of poor social values plus rampant corruption is the result

What in the actual hell does this mean.

What, you think the gangbangers killing people in Chicago are Muslims or something?
Are you saying they are not?

Back
Top Bottom