• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

pepper spray

l placed a big knife next to my bed to feel safe at night .but it is as huge as a butcher knife :lol:

I have a walther.22 next to my bed.

:lamo:lamo

l love butchers!!

I'm serious, an attacker will just take the knife from you, get a gun or at least the pepper spray. On the spray subject though you can get bear spray that is made for grizzly bears and if I was going to go that rout I would use it. If it will stop a grizz it will kill a man or at least make him wish he was dead.

Bite the hand. My point is people these days rely on technology to much.

I can't bite a choke hold and rather than waste time trying to pull at an arm or bite til I'm released, I can hit the button, I'll be released in his panic and can get away. In the meantime, the general area is alerted to a problem. Technology is a good back up.

I can't bite a choke hold and rather than waste time trying to pull at an arm or bite til I'm released, I can hit the button, I'll be released in his panic and can get away. In the meantime, the general area is alerted to a problem. Technology is a good back up.

Maybe so and it's your call but somehow I envision a woman in a panic situation fumbling desperately for her alarm button and forgetting to scream.

Maybe so and it's your call but somehow I envision a woman in a panic situation fumbling desperately for her alarm button and forgetting to scream.

Nope. I'm very capable of doing both screaming and activating my alarm.

anything is better than nothing.... but some things are better than others.

my wife used to carry pepper spray.. as did her sister.
the sister found out the hard way that pepper spray doesn't always work... now both carry firearms.

to me, it's a matter of efficiency.
odds are good that a firearm will result in the stoppage of an assault... not 100% odds, but much much better odds than pepper spray.

I'm serious, an attacker will just take the knife from you, .....

Sawyer, I know you're pro-gun and pro-self-defense... so please don't say things like that.

An attacker will no more "just take the knife from you" than he will "just take the GUN from you".... unless you just LET him, or unless he possesses a particular and uncommon skill set or plain gets lucky.

I have that skillset, btw... Disarming... and I teach it, as a last resort... and I'd almost rather try to take a gun away from someone than take a knife away from a determined person.

There are quite a few women I trained who would slice any man to ribbons who thought he was "just gonna take that little lady's knife away from her" just like that...

Tools are good, but skills > tools.

Agreed, sorta... but remember how people tend to ignore car alarms? That'd be my worry...

Sawyer, I know you're pro-gun and pro-self-defense... so please don't say things like that.

An attacker will no more "just take the knife from you" than he will "just take the GUN from you".... unless you just LET him, or unless he possesses a particular and uncommon skill set or plain gets lucky.

I have that skillset, btw... Disarming... and I teach it, as a last resort... and I'd almost rather try to take a gun away from someone than take a knife away from a determined person.

There are quite a few women I trained who would slice any man to ribbons who thought he was "just gonna take that little lady's knife away from her" just like that...

personally, I'd rather face a person with a gun than a person with a knife....

I have no disarming skills... not a one... I'd be sliced and diced before i knew it.

I will agree that properly trained a woman could defend herself with a butcher knife but I think in the real world she would not be able to defend herself with it. A gun on the other hand is a simple pull of a trigger and a far better choice.

I will agree that properly trained a woman could defend herself with a butcher knife but I think in the real world she would not be able to defend herself with it. A gun on the other hand is a simple pull of a trigger and a far better choice.

Generally speaking I agree... and anyone who has reservations about pulling the trigger on a gun shouldn't depend on a knife. A knife is a bad-breath-range weapon, where his guts unravel in a stinking pile that run down your legs and land on your shoes as you feel him gasp out his last agonized breaths... and not something most people are really psychologically prepared to use and live with afterward.

But my point was that it isn't the tool so much as the tool-user... and a trained woman with a knife she intends to use on you is serious business not to be taken lightly.

Agreed, sorta... but remember how people tend to ignore car alarms? That'd be my worry...

I hear what you're saying but if I can't scream because my wind is choked off or a hand over my face I can't bite away, an alarm can be going off so some attention is attracted. In my area, it is not common to hear car alarms going off. I have that in my favor too.

Back
Top Bottom