• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

pepper spray

Just like a gun, if you're going to depend on a knife for SD you need training with it. Kali (certain forms particularly like Atienza) and Amock are two that have some use... I trained in a military/Philippino hybrid style.

First rule, of course is simple.... "pointy end goes in the OTHER guy". :mrgreen:

I carry a 9mm (legally people...don't go there) but I would love to find a tazer. I'd rather use that, than a gun. Of course, I'd rather not use either...but would if I absolutely had to.

I carry a 9mm (legally people...don't go there) but I would love to find a tazer. I'd rather use that, than a gun. Of course, I'd rather not use either...but would if I absolutely had to.

Tazers are considered a tool for taking resistant persons into custody... not as a self-defense weapon.

I know the difference isn't obvious. Allow me to elucidate...

A resistant subject is one who is noncooperative, or who is passively resisting, or actively resisting but in a relatively non-violent way. Taking such a person into custody is a moderate-threat situation that calls for a mid-level response on the force continuum.... previously we'd have grabbed him and wrestled him into the cuffs, or whacked his arms and legs with a baton if he was getting violent... nowadays they Tazer him and then while he's incapacitated they put the cuffs on.

However, in the presence of a severe threat (life/limb/grave bodily harm) the police pull and use their guns. Reason: Tazers are not really meant for self-defense against a serious threat. They are not always sufficiently robust and decisive, and are limited in range. Also they only incapacitate the subject while they are ON.... that is, the probes are in the subject and the Tazer is electrifying him. As soon as the current is removed the subject could recover in seconds.

They have their uses, but they aren't Star Trek phasers set to Stun just yet.

Tazers are considered a tool for taking resistant persons into custody... not as a self-defense weapon.

I know the difference isn't obvious. Allow me to elucidate...

A resistant subject is one who is noncooperative, or who is passively resisting, or actively resisting but in a relatively non-violent way. Taking such a person into custody is a moderate-threat situation that calls for a mid-level response on the force continuum.... previously we'd have grabbed him and wrestled him into the cuffs, or whacked his arms and legs with a baton if he was getting violent... nowadays they Tazer him and then while he's incapacitated they put the cuffs on.

However, in the presence of a severe threat (life/limb/grave bodily harm) the police pull and use their guns. Reason: Tazers are not really meant for self-defense against a serious threat. They are not always sufficiently robust and decisive, and are limited in range. Also they only incapacitate the subject while they are ON.... that is, the probes are in the subject and the Tazer is electrifying him. As soon as the current is removed the subject could recover in seconds.

They have their uses, but they aren't Star Trek phasers set to Stun just yet.

Oh sure...but the thought of knocking someone down long enough to just get away, appeals to me. ;)

Oh sure...but the thought of knocking someone down long enough to just get away, appeals to me. ;)

Sure... no great whacking kaboom, no blood splatter, no body to explain... I see the appeal. :mrgreen:

Yes. It looks like a flat garage door opener, 3 x2. You have to push the "buttons" on the side at the same time to set it off and the center round button turns it off. I clip it to the inside of my shirt, on my left side, so I can reach up and give it "pinch". REALLY loud.

I'm no good with knife, but that sounds like a good idea. I always have my phone with me too.

Gina, if you are no good with a knife, or a gun, don't get one. It will do you more harm than good.

The other thing is mental. The time to decide whether or not you are willing to use lethal force is long before the actual need.

Gina, if you are no good with a knife, or a gun, don't get one. It will do you more harm than good.

The other thing is mental. The time to decide whether or not you are willing to use lethal force is long before the actual need.

I agree, guns scare me, so I thought it would be a terrible idea to have one. Indeed, that is key to using lethal force. I'm comfortable with my spray. :) Hopefully, I won't ever need anything greater than that.:)

It's better than nothing, but be aware it doesn't always work 100%.

Get a kind that is at least 10% capsicum and has a rating of at least 2 million SHU (Schoville Heat Units). I'd get either the stream or the foam. The stream gives you a little more range at the expense of spread, the foam is better if there is wind, less likely to blowback. Get one with a safety lock that you can work quickly, and I prefer trigger-like units rather than thumb-button units.

Fox and Sabre are good brands.

I was actually going to post something just like this since there are several reasons why pepper spray might not work. Fine minds think alike! lol ;)

I'd still recommend a basic self-defense course as a back-up if you don't wish to CCW. At the very least it will train away any hesitation to do whatever is necessary to disable and escape an attacker.

I was actually going to post something just like this since there are several reasons why pepper spray might not work. Fine minds think alike! lol ;)

I'd still recommend a basic self-defense course as a back-up if you don't wish to CCW. At the very least it will train away any hesitation to do whatever is necessary to disable and escape an attacker.

Absolutely. I always recommend self-defense or martial arts training to almost everyone. :)

I agree, guns scare me, so I thought it would be a terrible idea to have one. Indeed, that is key to using lethal force. I'm comfortable with my spray. :) Hopefully, I won't ever need anything greater than that.:)

Well, I agree that if you are scared of guns and have grave reservations about lethal force, then there would be little point in arming you with one. :)

I think we all hope that never need more than that.

Other alternatives:

flash grenades, smoke bombs, stink bombs, hairspray with a lighter.

The ultimate defense is to just stay put in your home and never leave. Of course, that isn't fun.

Here's what I have:
images.jpeg

Fires quite a distance. Comes with a water only trial cartridge so you can practice.

Try martial arts! There is a wide variety of them though. You'd be able to learn the SUPER ULTIMATE PUNCH and the KICK OF DEATH that will send your stalker flying to the skies like team rocket from pokemon :)

Try martial arts! There is a wide variety of them though. You'd be able to learn the SUPER ULTIMATE PUNCH and the KICK OF DEATH that will send your stalker flying to the skies like team rocket from pokemon :)

goshin is my coach!

imagine the rest :lol:

Any method of self defense is better than none. If you are not comfortable with a firearm do not carry one. That would go for anyone. I'd rather have pepper spray than a stun gun. Stun guns are used at contact distance, the idea is never to get that close to begin with, but yes, definately get a sharp folding blade, something that has a thumb stud so it's easy to open one handed. I usually carry a firearm, but then I am practiced with them. Target shooting at the range is NOT the same as self defense training. We do one exercise that is a "worst case scenario" where you find yourself at contact distance, it involves throwing a punch or a heel strike (heel of the hand) to the chin followed by two shots to the chest. Even practicing this move is dangerous and we started it with an unloaded pistol. It is very important to throw the punch and then get your arm clear so you don't shoot yourself in the hand or arm. We also practice krav maga. Nice thing about this discipline is that how bad you hurt your assailant is entirely up to you, from putting him on the ground to death with slight variations.

It is not unusual for me to have at least one firearm on me, sometimes two. But I always have a pocket knife. It has a thumb stud and a pocket clip so it's easy to pull and open. Honestly though, for me it is a tool and is usually used for opening parts boxes rather than self defense. My normal carry is a tiny KelTec P32 (look it up, it's the lightest pocket carry pistol on the market), it also has a pocket clip and carries the same way. It is also made in 380. Ballistically at close range there is no appreciable difference between the 32acp and the 380, the 380 version has a little more "snap" to it so the 32 is easier to get back on target for follow up shots, and it holds one more round than the 380. I wear cargo pants a lot, so the pocket nknife is in the top right pocket and the 32 is in the right cargo pocket. It carries so well that if you didn't know better you would think I was carrying two pocket knives. Last weekend I had both of these plus a Walther P22 on my hip testing a new Fobus holster. Carrying concealed takes practice too to prevent "printing" or obvious posture changes to get around it. A friend carries a Glock 40 on his hip, he is big enough and dresses in such a way that he can hide it pretty well under a shirt, but if you see him standing you may notice his right elbow is out a bit to clear it. I mentioned it to him last weekend, he was unaware of the posture change. Concealed doesn't just mean under your clothes, it means you can't tell it's there. The little KelTec is great for that. Before anyone goes off about small calibers not being enough, the truth is the right caliber to have is the one you have with you, and statistically the small calibers (22lr, 25acp, 32acp) are round for round more deadly than intermediate rounds (380, 9mm, 40, arguably 38 special and .357) because they tend to get used at contact distances. I'd rather carry something I can get follow up shots on target with quickly than a big caliber. The psychology of gunshot victims is more important than the size of the round. Nobody who has just been shot dismisses it because it was a small bullet. I don't care how much you might have in your wallet, it is not worth getting shot again.

Run, duck and cover has worked for me these last 62 years.

It is not unusual for me to have at least one firearm on me, sometimes two. But I always have a pocket knife. It has a thumb stud and a pocket clip so it's easy to pull and open. Honestly though, for me it is a tool and is usually used for opening parts boxes rather than self defense. My normal carry is a tiny KelTec P32 (look it up, it's the lightest pocket carry pistol on the market), it also has a pocket clip and carries the same way. It is also made in 380. Ballistically at close range there is no appreciable difference between the 32acp and the 380, the 380 version has a little more "snap" to it so the 32 is easier to get back on target for follow up shots, and it holds one more round than the 380. I wear cargo pants a lot, so the pocket nknife is in the top right pocket and the 32 is in the right cargo pocket. It carries so well that if you didn't know better you would think I was carrying two pocket knives. Last weekend I had both of these plus a Walther P22 on my hip testing a new Fobus holster. Carrying concealed takes practice too to prevent "printing" or obvious posture changes to get around it. A friend carries a Glock 40 on his hip, he is big enough and dresses in such a way that he can hide it pretty well under a shirt, but if you see him standing you may notice his right elbow is out a bit to clear it. I mentioned it to him last weekend, he was unaware of the posture change. Concealed doesn't just mean under your clothes, it means you can't tell it's there. The little KelTec is great for that. Before anyone goes off about small calibers not being enough, the truth is the right caliber to have is the one you have with you, and statistically the small calibers (22lr, 25acp, 32acp) are round for round more deadly than intermediate rounds (380, 9mm, 40, arguably 38 special and .357) because they tend to get used at contact distances. I'd rather carry something I can get follow up shots on target with quickly than a big caliber. The psychology of gunshot victims is more important than the size of the round. Nobody who has just been shot dismisses it because it was a small bullet. I don't care how much you might have in your wallet, it is not worth getting shot again.

l placed a big knife next to my bed to feel safe at night .but it is as huge as a butcher knife :lol:

l placed a big knife next to my bed to feel safe at night .but it is as huge as a butcher knife :lol:

I just say my evening prayers and call it good. If I survive til the morning, bonus. But then that attitude may just be a function of age. :mrgreen:

I carry it because I walk/run at times of day when there aren't many people around (I'm in a rural area in the first place) and I got freaked out by some weird behavior running through the local park a couple times. I also have an alarm "button".

An alarm button? :lol: Ever hear of SCREAMING????

I just say my evening prayers and call it good. If I survive til the morning, bonus. But then that attitude may just be a function of age. :mrgreen:

l do too sometimes

but first secure than pray :lol:

Back
Top Bottom