• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Pelosi has a new fan

---------------

---------------

:) Same answer to both .... his base will stay with him no matter what. If he makes a deal where Pelosi gives him anything from his wishlist, his base will crow and say "this is why we sent him to Washington -- this is what he does -- he makes deals." It doesn't matter how big the item is from his wishlist. If there's nominally anything in it that Trump ever said he wanted, he'll declare victory and his base will follow right along.

AND ... if he and the Democrats strike a bargain, it will win nods of approval from some of the independents and centrist Republicans who have been sort of waiting in the wings wanting to see some sign, any sign, that Trump would act like a grown-up and Washington could make a show of being functional.

That could get Trump's numbers over 50%.

Agree. The issue is Trump is out to make himself look good. He will throw every republican under the bus if he has to. He really doesnt care about party politics. He is just as likely to make a deal with Pelosi as anybody else. He donated to Schumers campaign several times years ago when he was a democrat. If he can make himself look good, he doesnt care and neither does his base. Establishment republicans will be the only ones scared to death.

I've warmed to her a bit in light of HR1, but she has a lot to prove and a lot to make up and atone for, particularly that 'paygo' nonsense which is a not so subtle attempt to contain progressive ambitions ( https://www.npr.org/2019/01/02/681547346/democrats-announce-major-changes-to-u-s-house-rules ). I mean it was essentially the first thing she did upon hitting the pavement, despite this sort of legislation being absolutely nowhere in the Dem platform whatsoever; that's no coincidence. Without a doubt, the whole point is to provide ready made excuses and obstacles to wildly popular policies that establishment Dems contrastingly aren't at all fond of. Perhaps I might get pleasantly surprised when Dems collectively turn around and go full on tax and spend per the strictures of paygo to achieve these ends, but I personally wouldn't hold my breath.

That said, I disagree with your premise that someone who has been so utterly defined by Washington, and who is one of the most notoriously status quo politicos around, could well change how business is done within it, which is probably her most fundamental problem.

Overall, I'm open to liking Pelosi, but she's got a long way to go, and a great deal to prove in light of both her past and present, particularly her opposition to all things popular, ambitious and progressive.

Interesting point. I think a lot of our politics currently and for 2020 is going to depend on whether many voters are still in a populist mood or not. Pelosi is right up there with the Clintons for status quo, establishment. It plays ok for now (adults in the room and all that) but its hard to say what will happen. I do wish the dems would choose a bit younger people. The GOP put in a lot of younger people during the tea party movement and the dem leadership is still pretty old.

It makes sense. But I'm not feeling the same as you about the importance you attach to it. I'm not objecting to it as something which maybe I should appreciate more. It's just not really sinking in yet amid the notions that it's pragmatic for it to be done in the current political climate.

Mostly I wanted to let you know I read your links even though it hasn't sunk in yet.

But that is a problem. A paygo rule is something that will be there after 2020. It does have the potential of sidelining democratic issues like UHC. Right now most are just happy to see the dems do anything at all because its not Trump, but when he is out of office and dems cant pass anything due to these rules it becomes problematic. Voters get peeved and back in go the republicans. Saw it after Bill Clinton and Obama. Pelosi will be blamed by the progressives.

It's going to be interesting for her. She only won the Speakership by two votes with fifteen dems not voting for her. I'm wondering how she's going to deal with her crew of young rebels (some of which voted for her) when there's a contention between more traditional Dems and the young Turks. I see a parallel between this and the 2010 election when a bunch of Tea Party Republicans got in and made it hard on Boehner.

Let's see... you say she won by 2 votes with 15 voting against her. Making 15 against and 17 for by your theory.

Funny how you think the Dems won the majority of the House by having only 32 people in there? :lol:

Last edited:
Uhhhh yeah-NO.

It's not impossible IMO... I can see her pushing through her ideas by convincing trump they are his ideas and then he gets all the ego-stroke he needs while she gets the policies she wants. I actually believe she is that much smarter than he is.

Not sure where you came up with that notion. Trump gets critsised regularly by the right.

I don't see that. I see the couple that stood up and said something about trump from the right got piled on by the right for having done so.

Let's see... you say she won by 2 votes with 15 voting against her. Making 15 against and 17 for by your theory.

Funny how you think the Dems won the majority of the House by having only 32 people in there? :lol:
WTF are you talking about? She needed 218 votes to win, she got 220. By the math I learned in school that's a two vote victory margin. ALL the Republicans and fifteen dems voted against her. This is not rocket science

Incorrect. Fact. I'm neither a devotee nor an ardent enthusiast. I admire the skill of NASCAR drivers as I am unable to do what they do. I'm not a fan and I don't watch them nor know any of their names.

Don't lie.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fan

Definition of fan (Entry 3 of 3)

1 : an enthusiastic devotee (as of a sport or a performing art) usually as a spectator

2 : an ardent admirer or enthusiast (as of a celebrity or a pursuit)
//science-fiction fans
Lie? Spoken like a true librul. If I believe it to be the case, its expressing my opinion. Lying would be intentional innacuracy....since you are so hung up on definitions.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WTF are you talking about? She needed 218 votes to win, she got 220. By the math I learned in school that's a two vote victory margin. ALL the Republicans and fifteen dems voted against her. This is not rocket science

Are you trying to tell me that no republican voted for her? What a shocker. :lol:

Lie? Spoken like a true librul. If I believe it to be the case, its expressing my opinion. Lying would be intentional innacuracy....since you are so hung up on definitions.

A lie is what you told when you said I was a fan.

Pelosi won't be liked by Trump. Pelosi will be feared by Trump. She knows how to go for the political jugular with a courteous smile.

A lie is what you told when you said I was a fan.

You liberals have so broadened the definition of "lie" that you are no longer taken seriously when using the term.

Pelosi won't be liked by Trump. Pelosi will be feared by Trump. She knows how to go for the political jugular with a courteous smile.

The hero worship is cute, however Nancy is already showing signs of early dementia. She is feared by nobody.

Is that only something you guys can do or are Republicans and Independents allowed to both be critical of and support a candidate

I would love to see Republicans be critical of a candidate they support. But I won't hold my breath waiting.

The hero worship is cute, however Nancy is already showing signs of early dementia. She is feared by nobody.

Lol. If anyone in government is suffering from dementia, that someone is Trump.

Unfortunately, he makes us all suffer along with him.....

Donald J. Trump on 11 December 2018 said:
“I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down.”

You liberals have so broadened the definition of "lie" that you are no longer taken seriously when using the term.

I love when you make stupid posts. It makes me alternate between feeling sorry for you, and laughing at you.

I love when you make stupid posts. It makes me alternate between feeling sorry for you, and laughing at you.
That is an ad hominem. Feel better now?

Lol. If anyone in government is suffering from dementia, that someone is Trump.

Unfortunately, he makes us all suffer along with him.....
No..actually he is only making TDS inflicted libruls suffer. In any case, whether you want to admit it or not, Nancy does has had age related episodes such as brain freezes, forgetting who is president, etc.

Ha! I've changed from someone with visceral dislike for Pelosi to someone who wears her as my avatar ... until I decide I want my kitten back. :)

PelosiGolfClap_b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom