• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Patrick Lyoya, 26, was killed outside a house in Grand Rapids, Michigan. What do you think of it?

Patrick Lyoya, 26, was killed outside a house in Grand Rapids, Michigan. What do you think of it?

• That was NOT OK

Votes: 23 63.9%
  • That was quite OK

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • other

Votes: 10 27.8%

• Total voters
Now:

• Total voters 9
8 x that was not OK
1 x other

Now I say "Good night!"

Some on this forum say the killing was quite OK.
What do you think?
Is killing another ever ok? Why does this stand out to you?

I believe criminals should run free and police abolished.

It's what's best for criminals.

What do you think?
Speaking very generally, killing is never OK.

Sometimes, however, it is necessary.

I have no idea if this case is one of the latter.

What do you think?
Of course he deserved it. He resisted for no reason. He was a bad dude. I side with the police. You can't let the animals run the zoo.

Of course he deserved it. He resisted for no reason. He was a bad dude. I side with the police. You can't let the animals run the zoo.
Say what?

What do you think?

I chose other for the reasons already provided in an earlier thread on the topic, found here:

I will add that I will wait and see how this investigation progresses, if criminal charges are filed, and if not why not.

If so, then the results of any trial.

Nor I. All I really know about him is that he was killed, he was 26, he was in Grand Rapids at the time, and @Rumpel finds his death to be worthy of a poll.
All the way in Germany at that. Slow news day in Krautland.

I think I will ignore this thread then
Have you noticed a pattern in which these "encounters" escalate because the Taser does not have the intended effect on the
subject resisting arrest, the subject becomes more aggressive instead of immobilized or subdued by the Taser and the surprised
LEO exhibits no planned back up reaction other than use of deadly force?

"..At 11:23,[16] Rolfe told Brooks: "All right, I think you've had too much to drink to be driving. Put your hands behind your back for me";[19] he and Brosnan then moved behind Brooks to handcuff him.[14] Brooks tried to break free and he and the officers scuffled on the ground. During the struggle Brosnan drew his taser, but Brooks wrested it from him and fired it;[24] Brosnan says the taser contacted him and he struck his head on the pavement, causing a concussion.[20] Brooks stood up and punched Rolfe, who drew his own taser and fired both cartridges at Brooks with no effect.[21] Brooks fled through the parking lot with Brosnan's taser still in hand. While still running, Brooks glanced back, half-turned, and fired the second shot of Brosnan's taser – capable of two shots before being reloaded[22] – at Rolfe but "his aim was high".[15][23]

According to prosecutors, Brooks and Rolfe were 18 feet (5.5 m) apart[25][a] when Rolfe dropped his taser, drew his handgun[15] and shot Brooks once in the midback and once in the buttocks;[26] prosecutors allege the third shot struck a nearby vehicle, .."

June 14, 2020

"..Mr. Brooks says “Mr. Rolfe, come on man. Mr. Rolfe.” He seizes a Taser from Officer Brosnan, stands up and punches Officer Rolfe. Officer Rolfe fires his Taser gun. The darts hit Mr. Brooks, and Officer Rolfe continues trying to stun him.
Mr. Brooks runs away, holding Officer Brosnan’s Taser gun. Officer Rolfe gives chase, and continues to try to stun Mr. Brooks..."

Last edited:
I chose other for the reasons already provided in an earlier thread on the topic, found here:

I will add that I will wait and see how this investigation progresses, if criminal charges are filed, and if not why not.

If so, then the results of any trial.
I like to know what is going on before 'voting' one way or the other as well. Dare I say that we are being swayed by the mentioning of skin color? Dare I say this at the risk of being called whatever the insulte du jour?
Why do we have to start out with black/white instead of human? Why is it ever ok to kill another?

I like to know what is going on before 'voting' one way or the other as well. Dare I say that we are being swayed by the mentioning of skin color? Dare I say this at the risk of being called whatever the insulte du jour?
Why do we have to start out with black/white instead of human? Why is it ever ok to kill another?
Self defense
Endangering an officer/or others

Have you noticed a pattern in which these "encounters" escalate because the Taser does not have the intended effect on the
subject resisting arrest, the subject becomes more aggressive instead of immobilized or subdued by the Taser and the surprised
LEO exhibits no planned back up reaction other than use of deadly force?

"..At 11:23,[16] Rolfe told Brooks: "All right, I think you've had too much to drink to be driving. Put your hands behind your back for me";[19] he and Brosnan then moved behind Brooks to handcuff him.[14] Brooks tried to break free and he and the officers scuffled on the ground. During the struggle Brosnan drew his taser, but Brooks wrested it from him and fired it;[24] Brosnan says the taser contacted him and he struck his head on the pavement, causing a concussion.[20] Brooks stood up and punched Rolfe, who drew his own taser and fired both cartridges at Brooks with no effect.[21] Brooks fled through the parking lot with Brosnan's taser still in hand. While still running, Brooks glanced back, half-turned, and fired the second shot of Brosnan's taser – capable of two shots before being reloaded[22] – at Rolfe but "his aim was high".[15][23]

According to prosecutors, Brooks and Rolfe were 18 feet (5.5 m) apart[25][a] when Rolfe dropped his taser, drew his handgun[15] and shot Brooks once in the midback and once in the buttocks;[26] prosecutors allege the third shot struck a nearby vehicle, .."

June 14, 2020

"..Mr. Brooks says “Mr. Rolfe, come on man. Mr. Rolfe.” He seizes a Taser from Officer Brosnan, stands up and punches Officer Rolfe. Officer Rolfe fires his Taser gun. The darts hit Mr. Brooks, and Officer Rolfe continues trying to stun him.
Mr. Brooks runs away, holding Officer Brosnan’s Taser gun. Officer Rolfe gives chase, and continues to try to stun Mr. Brooks..."

Back
Top Bottom