• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ozempic ? (1 Viewer)

There’s a supplement that’s being called nature’s ozempic, Berberine, don’t know how well it works.

I get 3 months of Mounjaro for $120, it's worth it. I gave myself a shot today. Not being hungry is weird.

Those posters who don't take it sure do have igno. opinions.
Type 2 diabetes? Save for the rare (I think) serious side effect, I see no problem, so long as insurance covers it.

Weight loss? Well, you have to pay for it yourself, so, maybe that acts as a self-limiting factor.

A friend was on it for type 2 diabetes but had to discontinue it due to side effects.
Well, it was designed, approved and marketed for type 2 diabetes, and in that narrow application, it's benefits might outweigh the side effect downside for many. But for those who think taking a powerful drug for weight loss, when the same results can be achieved without it, are risking more than they know.

I get 3 months of Mounjaro for $120, it's worth it. I gave myself a shot today. Not being hungry is weird.
Of course, it is. It seems like a breakthrough. You have type 2 diabetes.

My friend liked it, too, until he couldn't tolerate it.

It generally suppress a person's appetite. Which causes the weight loss. When a body goes into starvation mode it lowers the metabolic rate.

So when a person stops taking it, and did not make lifestyle changes ( ie more physical exercise) they will regain weight. Just like all diets not supported by lifestyle changes
Richard Atkinson did a 30 year study of overweight and obese people. One of the findings was that an obese person eats on average 6,700 calories per day.

Unless that person makes substantial changes to diet and lifestyle they're gaining the weight back.

Staring reading (listening to) Johann Hari’s new book Magic pill about Ozempic. What are your thoughts about the drug ?

It's a shot used to help type two diabetics lose weight as to control their blood sugar. My hair stylist lost a great deal of weight in six weeks, about thirty pounds. Wonder how much she'll have lost by the next time I see her.

This drug doesn't come without side effects though. She has NO appetite and that can't be healthy. However, her blood sugar has really improved and now she has the energy to do some exercise. I wish the best for her. She really is morbidly obese and is only 55. She really is a talented stylist, and a very nice person. I'd really hate to lose her. Hope this works for her. Nothing else has.

Type 2 diabetes? Save for the rare (I think) serious side effect, I see no problem, so long as insurance covers it.

Weight loss? Well, you have to pay for it yourself, so, maybe that acts as a self-limiting factor.
I have no problem with people using it for weight loss, because it works so well, it beats surgery, and the health effects for the heart are very positive. When it goes generic, I hope that people use it for weight loss.

Remember, not everyone is the same, diet and exercise, no matter how much won't help some people. Getting the weight off and its effects is a good thing, no matter how its done. And judging and shaming obese people is not cool, we don't judge or shame people for cancer or heart disease....

Well, it was designed, approved and marketed for type 2 diabetes, and in that narrow application, it's benefits might outweigh the side effect downside for many. But for those who think taking a powerful drug for weight loss, when the same results can be achieved without it, are risking more than they know.
Mounjaro is easier on the body due to it working on 2 different receptors, there is a new one coming out that is even milder. Semaglutide drugs are safe and effective, and they are a wonderful medical discovery.

Today's news about Ozempic/Wegovy.

Staring reading (listening to) Johann Hari’s new book Magic pill about Ozempic. What are your thoughts about the drug ?
The class is quite amazing. Very useful for diabetes, but a total game changer for obesity.

These drugs have the potential to make real cuts in CV mortality, cancer, orthopedic problems, and general longevity in the West.

It’s kind of a solution to a self imposed problem we are not able to easily fix.

I actually did research with the first one brought to market in 2009, which is not nearly as effective as the more recent drugs. Didn’t expect that this pathway would be so revolutionary.

My dad is type 2 diabetic and is on mounjaro I think. The first couple weeks were a little rough on his digestive system, but he has lost some weight and I think his a1c is down. I dont know if he plans on sticking with it

I have a couple risk factors for diabetes, I would consider trying it but I don't know if I would take it forever

IMO, I think a lot of people who use Ozempic want to lose weight, but don't want to put in the hard work of doing it the natural way. Most likely because it's hard to beat addictions. In this case, food addiction. Once they stop taking the shots, most will probably just go back to their old ways of eating.

There are always exceptions, I know. I can definitely see the benefit of the medicine if someone is extremely overweight or extremely ill because of their weight. But they also need to stop their bad habits that got them there in the first place.

The goal shouldn't be to get skinny (and some people are getting TOO skinny on these medicines). The goal is to be healthy.

Incredibly-easy to take a pill, instead of doing regular exercise, changing eating habits/styles etc.
That doesn't always work.

For example, I regularly exercise and eat healthy, logging my diet, etc.

I didn't start losing weight until I went on metformin. The whole time my a1c was perfectly fine in my yearly blood tests (For another medicine).

Sometimes our internal regulation needs adjustment in spite of activity or lifestyle.

I'm diabetic. It works beautifully as an extra aid in lowering blood sugar.
Also, it reduced my I.B.S. symptoms by about 90%.
Its been very beneficial for me.
I know someone who was prescribed it (still costs a lot of money though) and she is diabetic. However, it makes her severely sick for the first few days after taking it. She can't eat because she's throwing up so much. I don't think/know that everyone gets this way, but it was really bad for her. Her doctor is trying other, similar medication. Hers was the shot though, so not sure if that makes a difference (I didn't even know there was a pill if there is).

I know someone who was prescribed it (still costs a lot of money though) and she is diabetic. However, it makes her severely sick for the first few days after taking it. She can't eat because she's throwing up so much. I don't think/know that everyone gets this way, but it was really bad for her. Her doctor is trying other, similar medication. Hers was the shot though, so not sure if that makes a difference (I didn't even know there was a pill if there is).
I pay $25.00 per month.
I use the injector pen.
It's unfortunate your friend can't tolerate it.
It's worked wonders for me.

There are side effects, I started with the lowest dose, then went up, I will increase again when I put in my next order. Ozempic and Mounjaro are not in pill form, they want to make it that way, but they are still working on it. I have to be careful what I eat, sometimes there is some lower GI issues. But, it has been worth it for me, I've had a substantial drop in A1c, and I am losing weight.

The VA has mentioned Ozempic for my FIL I believe?

What are these awful side effects people are referencing? He’s not really ambulatory, so I want to know what people are experiencing so we can make sure we are making the right decision for him.

He’s currently on Lantus and Novolox.

The VA has mentioned Ozempic for my FIL I believe?

What are these awful side effects people are referencing? He’s not really ambulatory, so I want to know what people are experiencing so we can make sure we are making the right decision for him.

He’s currently on Lantus and Novolox.
Side effects are primarily GI- nausea, diarrhea, constipation. Generally minimized by starting at low dose.

Way better than insulin. First line diabetes therapy.

Side effects are primarily GI- nausea, diarrhea, constipation. Generally minimized by starting at low dose.

Way better than insulin. First line diabetes therapy.
Ok those sound manageable.

We have that doctor’s appt coming up so I’m curious what they will do.

We have come a long way managing his blood sugars and improving his A1C since he’s been living with us because I control his diet pretty strictly…but if there is a way to save some space in my fridge and decrease how often and how much medication I need to manage for him, I’m all for it if it’s going to help!

Dear Diabetics,

Please pay attention to your disease when you are younger. The toll on your body (and your caregivers) when you are older if you do not is incredibly high.

Ok those sound manageable.

We have that doctor’s appt coming up so I’m curious what they will do.

We have come a long way managing his blood sugars and improving his A1C since he’s been living with us because I control his diet pretty strictly…but if there is a way to save some space in my fridge and decrease how often and how much medication I need to manage for him, I’m all for it if it’s going to help!

Dear Diabetics,

Please pay attention to your disease when you are younger. The toll on your body (and your caregivers) when you are older if you do not is incredibly high.
I wouldn't discourage people from trying it at least, especially if they are diabetic. Just be aware that it can cause some side effects, and I believe they do vary greatly by person and as others said, by how you start dosing.

I have no problem with people using it for weight loss, because it works so well, it beats surgery, and the health effects for the heart are very positive. When it goes generic, I hope that people use it for weight loss.

Remember, not everyone is the same, diet and exercise, no matter how much won't help some people. Getting the weight off and its effects is a good thing, no matter how its done.
This is wrong. There are bad ways to lose weight, and this might turn out to be one. There’s not enough history to know yet.
And judging and shaming obese people is not cool, we don't judge or shame people for cancer or heart disease....
This is an entirely different issue and not related to Ozempic.

This is wrong. There are bad ways to lose weight, and this might turn out to be one. There’s not enough history to know yet.

This is an entirely different issue and not related to Ozempic.
There are several long term studies, I posted links to them earlier in the thread. Semaglutide treatment is much less invasive than gastric surgery and there were many years of trials and studies before the drug was approved. The benefits of using Semaglutides beyond weight loss and and for T2D are just now being discussed.

"Our long-term analysis of semaglutide establishes that clinically relevant weight loss can be sustained for up to 4 years in a geographically and racially diverse population of adults with overweight and obesity but not diabetes," Donna Ryan, a professor at Pennington Biomedical Research Centre in New Orleans who led the study, said in a statement.

"Our findings show that the magnitude of this treatment effect with semaglutide is independent of the amount of weight lost, suggesting that the drug has other actions which lower cardiovascular risk beyond reducing unhealthy body fat. These alternative mechanisms may include positive impacts on blood sugar, blood pressure, or inflammation, as well as direct effects on the heart muscle and blood vessels, or a combination of one or more of these."

There are several long term studies, I posted links to them earlier in the thread.
Yes, I am familiar with them.
Semaglutide treatment is much less invasive than gastric surgery ....
Once again, an entirely different issue. I was not suggesting gastric surgery as a viable alternative to drugs.
and there were many years of trials and studies before the drug was approved. The benefits of using Semaglutides beyond weight loss and and for T2D are just now being discussed.
I got that.

I haven't used this drug, but I did lose a lot of weight. My opinion is that if you can keep the weight off for ten years, you will have probably built habits that will keep it off for good. I keep a food diary and move as much as possible as part of my maintenance. If it's a fast food day or one of the high fat dinners my wife likes, I budget.

As for this class of drugs, if it had come out in 2004 or so, I think I would have tried it. I ended up in a different circumstance that reduced my appetite, so I used that for the first leg of my weight loss. After that, I had to come up with a long term strategy, and I'm still using it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom