• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ozempic ? (1 Viewer)

I haven't used this drug, but I did lose a lot of weight. My opinion is that if you can keep the weight off for ten years, you will have probably built habits that will keep it off for good. I keep a food diary and move as much as possible as part of my maintenance. If it's a fast food day or one of the high fat dinners my wife likes, I budget.

As for this class of drugs, if it had come out in 2004 or so, I think I would have tried it. I ended up in a different circumstance that reduced my appetite, so I used that for the first leg of my weight loss. After that, I had to come up with a long term strategy, and I'm still using it.
May it sustain you for a very long lifetime.
Prosit!
🥂

There are several long term studies, I posted links to them earlier in the thread. Semaglutide treatment is much less invasive than gastric surgery and there were many years of trials and studies before the drug was approved. The benefits of using Semaglutides beyond weight loss and and for T2D are just now being discussed.

I haven't seen a commercial for any of those drugs recently, but I seem to recall hearing the possibility of thyroid cancer.....any info on that?

My understanding is that it slows the emptying of your stomach. As such, you feel full for much longer and therefore don't eat or feel hungry. I am also told that the lawsuits are starting to come in as there is a lot that isn't known about the long term effects. In addition to those mentioned above there may also be long term/permanent damage done to the stomach, including gastroparesis. It's not proven, but there are some correlations that are concerning. As someone said above, if the person doesn't fix their unhealthy relationship with food, they will gain back all the weight as soon as they stop taking the medication.
I, for one, am an excellent dieter. I am a terrible maintainer.

Today's news about Ozempic/Wegovy.

I'm a believer: I do not doubt weight loss can be sustained, so long as the medicine is taken.

I'm a believer: I do not doubt weight loss can be sustained, so long as the medicine is taken.
and then the issue becomes, how great is the risk for bowel injuries the longer you are on the medicine?

and then the issue becomes, how great is the risk for bowel injuries the longer you are on the medicine?
Could well be the case. Or not. (My friend's stomach issues could turn out to be a very rare occurrence.)

My interest is a suspicion that providing a medication that not only helps Type 2 diabetics, but also has a potentially-larger target audience that could be induced to buy the product for years and years, might result in price-gouging. And/or black marketeering.

I worry that younger and younger people, especially females, will be targeted with advertising promoting use of these drugs to lose weight.

Here's how those drugs work...

• Increasing the amount of insulin your body makes after a meal so that your blood sugar levels won’t get too high. Insulin is a hormone that lowers your blood sugar levels.
  • Slowing the movement of food through your stomach to prevent a big increase in your blood sugar levels.
  • Lowering the amount of sugar released into your bloodstream.

I worry that younger and younger people, especially females, will be targeted with advertising promoting use of these drugs to lose weight.
They can't promote them for weight loss yet because the FDA hasn't approved that use.

But Big Pharma has a workaround. In the commercials the use is masked. For example an advertisement filmed in a coffee shop. As someone is about to explain what the drug is for a coffee grinder starts up and we can't hear the end of the sentence.

Here's how those drugs work...

Farther down in that article is what I was looking for - if it can cause thyroid cancer. From the article:

"Ozempic has been shown to cause thyroid tumors and thyroid cancer in animals. It isn’t known if Ozempic can cause thyroid tumors or medullary thyroid cancer in humans"

All meds have side effects, and in the long run, they can kill ya.
Looking over the potential side effects of these drugs it's clear they pale in comparison to the long term risks from T2D and obesity.

14 years off the life expectancy for T2D, and the average lifespan for an obese person is only 65, only 50 if they're obese starting in childhood.

And that's not counting the adventures in organ failure.

All meds have side effects, and in the long run, they can kill ya.

Which is why the best medicine for obesity-related illnesses is whole foods, sleep and stress management.

Which is why the best medicine for obesity-related illnesses is whole foods, sleep and stress management.
But, I am taking it for T2D. But this drug has been a godsend in treating obesity.

But, I am taking it for T2D. But this drug has been a godsend in treating obesity.

Eating whole foods, sleep and stress management are also godsends for treating obesity and a plethora of other issues ....without any side effects.

Last edited:
They can't promote them for weight loss yet because the FDA hasn't approved that use.

But Big Pharma has a workaround. In the commercials the use is masked. For example an advertisement filmed in a coffee shop. As someone is about to explain what the drug is for a coffee grinder starts up and we can't hear the end of the sentence.
There are several compounds specifically approved for weight loss. They are rebranded in higher dosages than for T2DM. Wegovy is the semaglutide obesity med, Zepbound is the tirazepide one.

Insurance companies are starting to cover them for obese patients and overweight patients with obesity complications, and one will be approved to prevent cardiac death and hospitalization soon.

Farther down in that article is what I was looking for - if it can cause thyroid cancer. From the article:

"Ozempic has been shown to cause thyroid tumors and thyroid cancer in animals. It isn’t known if Ozempic can cause thyroid tumors or medullary thyroid cancer in humans"
Very low risk- usually in people with family history of a rare form of thyroid cancer.

Balance that with the much higher risk of cancer associated with obesity.

Here’s all the cancers that obesity will increase the risk of:

• Adenocarcinoma of the esophagus.
  • Breast (in women who have gone through menopause).
  • Colon and rectum.
  • Uterus.
  • Gallbladder.
  • Upper stomach.
  • Kidneys.
  • Liver.
  • Ovaries.
  • Pancreas.
  • Thyroid.
  • Meningioma (a type of brain cancer).
  • Multiple myeloma.

Eating whole foods, sleep and stress management are also godsends for treating obesity and a plethora of other issues ....without any side effects.
And have been shown to fail in 95% of patients.

But it does make people feel superior to those people who fail this when saying it, so I guess that’s good for you.

Very low risk- usually in people with family history of a rare form of thyroid cancer.

Balance that with the much higher risk of cancer associated with obesity.

Here’s all the cancers that obesity will increase the risk of:

• Adenocarcinoma of the esophagus.
  • Breast (in women who have gone through menopause).
  • Colon and rectum.
  • Uterus.
  • Gallbladder.
  • Upper stomach.
  • Kidneys.
  • Liver.
  • Ovaries.
  • Pancreas.
  • Thyroid.
  • Meningioma (a type of brain cancer).
  • Multiple myeloma.

Oh I didn't say it was a deal breaker. I merely was wondering if I remembered the ad correctly.

And have been shown to fail in 95% of patients.

But it does make people feel superior to those people who fail this when saying it, so I guess that’s good for you.

Food addiction is hard to break, yes.

This is how we got here...

This is how we got here...

Yes. Just highly processed, sugar-filled, addicting foods, in general. General Mills, Post and Kelloggs are where a lot of food addictions start in childhood, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom