- Jul 21, 2005
- Reaction score
- Political Leaning
Forty-nine people are dead and at least 53 injured in the deadliest shooting in American history after a gunman opened fire and took hostages inside the Pulse gay nightclub in Orlando, Fla.
What we know:
• The gunman has been identified as 29-year-old Omar Mateen, an American citizen who was born in New York.
• Dozens of victims remain hospitalized, many in critical condition .
• Mateen was killed by law enforcement after he took hostages during an hours-long siege.
• He used a legally purchased assault rifle and handgun , which he had bought in the last 12 days. He also had another "device" but it's not clear what that was.
• Mateen lived in the area of Fort Pierce, Fla., about 120 miles south of Orlando, and worked as a private security officer .
• Investigators are operating under the theory that the attack was inspired by Islamic State .
• Mateen had been interviewed by the FBI twice and had once been on a terrorist watch list .
• President Obama called the shooting an act of terror that was an attack on all Americans.
|Alright folks, this is getting restarted and some simple ground rules set.
This thread is for discussing the shooting that occurred in Orlando. Please read that again and understand I mean this literally. It is for discussing THE SHOOTING. This is a *breaking news* thread, and it should be used only for posts directly discussing the story itself and/or relaying new news as it breaks concerning the story.
If you want to take this story and make some larger/broader point about gun regulations, Islam, the war on terror, Christians, muslims, Donald Trump or any other politician, conservatives, liberals, homophobia, etc then you should start a new thread in an appropriate section. Any and all of those conversations may be reasonable, but they should not be occurring in this thread. While some of those issues may be referenced here, they should only be done so in a post that is primarily and CLEARLY focused on narrowly discussing this story.
Due to the amount of in thread warnings in the previous thread on this topic, we're going to set the ground rules right off the bat. Any violation of this warning or any of our other forum rules will result in a removal from the thread and points. If you see someone posting something you believe violates this, do not make a post accusing them of such; report it and let the mods deal with it if needed.