• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Officer charged with 2nd-degree manslaughter in Daunte Wright killing

>They don't deserve to die for resisting arrest.<

Well, maybe not, but if they DO resist arrest and they DO die as a result of it.....well that is certainly no great tragedy. Not to me anyway.
Dumb Duante had his lifetime of committing crime cut short by about 50 years. Thats not a bad thing. Not to folk that respect the law anyway.
No, not maybe. There is no excuse to justify his killing, people do not deserve to die for having two misdemeanors. You demand respect for the law but you do not even have respect for human life. Pathetic.

Well, maybe not, but if they DO resist arrest and they DO die as a result of it.....well that is certainly no great tragedy. Not to me anyway.
Dumb Duante had his lifetime of committing crime cut short by about 50 years. Thats not a bad thing. Not to folk that respect the law anyway.

Your hero Potter is gonna lose about a decade of her life and probably be wrecked financially from it all.

No, not maybe. There is no excuse to justify his killing, people do not deserve to die for having two misdemeanors. You demand respect for the law but you do not even have respect for human life. Pathetic.
[/QUOTE]

I dont think armed robbery is a "misdemeanor", I think you are missing some of the facts surrounding Dumb Duantes criminal enterprises.

I have "respect for human life", but that really has nothing at all to do with enforcing the laws.
When criminals make bad decisions and then die, that doesnt upset me in the least. Why would it?

Your hero Potter is gonna lose about a decade of her life and probably be wrecked financially from it all.
If I represented her, I'd suggest taking a deal and argue my case with the prosecution that she deserves no jail time. I believe that would be fair.

If I represented her, I'd suggest taking a deal and argue my case with the prosecution that she deserves no jail time. I believe that would be fair.

I’m sure they’ll try. But the more details that come out about the shooting, it’s not as cut and dried as “whoops - shot a black guy!” The entire incident to the stop to how she physically mishandled *everything* is up for grabs right now. And that she’s a 20+ year vet does not speak well to all the folks who scream that there’s no such thing as systemic bias.

Laws are not based on your feelings. If a guy was putting a new roof on the neighbor's house and he tossed a tool to a coworker and he dropped and it hit your wife in the head, do you think the guy should go to prison for 10 years?

She intended to fire a taser, non lethal force for which her action would have been justified under department policy and she screwed up. No different than putting the patrol car in the wrong gear and backing over someone. No criminal intent.

This prosecution is a political charade. Should she lose her job? Certainly. Should the city pay damages? Of course, and it will. But in a civilized society we don;t lock people away for accidents. We don't live in North Korea.

Sorry the law disagrees with you which is why she was charged. People don't usually intend to kill people with cars, but when they do, it's not uncommon to get a vehicular homicide charge.

I dont think armed robbery is a "misdemeanor", I think you are missing some of the facts surrounding Dumb Duantes criminal enterprises.

I have "respect for human life", but that really has nothing at all to do with enforcing the laws.
When criminals make bad decisions and then die, that doesnt upset me in the least. Why would it?

It has everything to do with enforcing the laws. Because the law doesn't allow the execution of people just because they have warrants and are resisting arrest. So if you respect the law, then this officer should be charged.

So do you respect the law, or not?

His death was an accident brought about by his own reckless criminal behavior.

What was his sentence for this crime?

Since Dumb Duante decided he wasn't going to be arrested and taken to court, we'll never know.

But anyway: Dumb Duante is out of it now. He's been relieved of his duties.

Since Dumb Duante decided he wasn't going to be arrested and taken to court, we'll never know.

But anyway: Dumb Duante is out of it now. He's been relieved of his duties.

So he was never convicted of that charge, so you’ve been lying about it. That’s a shame.

I dunno if your hero agrees with you exchanging her life for your glee was worth it.

Accidentally shooting and killing someone is also reckless criminal behavior.

I don’t agree in this case. There was no criminal behavior on the part of the officer. This is the kind of thing you take to civil court.

It has everything to do with enforcing the laws. Because the law doesn't allow the execution of people just because they have warrants and are resisting arrest. So if you respect the law, then this officer should be charged.

So do you respect the law, or not?

One more time:

DUMB DUANTE WAS *NOT* "EXECUTED FOR HAVING A WARRANT". What are people not grasping about that?

Dumb Duante was shot and killed accidentally while resisting arrest and attempting to flee Police in order to avoid a court ordered warrant.

Sure, the cop should be charged with an accidental killing, that seems reasonable. But I dont think any jail time at all is appropriate, it was clearly an accident, Dumb Duante himself contributed to the circumstances of his own demise.

Does that answer your question?

It turns out that former Brooklyn Center police officer Kim Potter is also the head of the Brooklyn Center Police Union.

That and her 26 year career debunk any claims that officer Potter didn't understand that proportionality is required whenever an officer uses force during an arrest.

I don’t agree in this case. There was no criminal behavior on the part of the officer. This is the kind of thing you take to civil court.
There's no reason they can't do both. If laws were broken, as they certainly seem to have been, then the officer needs to be charged.

One more time:

DUMB DUANTE WAS *NOT* "EXECUTED FOR HAVING A WARRANT". What are people not grasping about that?

Dumb Duante was shot and killed accidentally while resisting arrest and attempting to flee Police in order to avoid a court ordered warrant.

Sure, the cop should be charged with an accidental killing, that seems reasonable. But I dont think any jail time at all is appropriate, it was clearly an accident, Dumb Duante himself contributed to the circumstances of his own demise.

Does that answer your question?
As long as you agree that the officer needs to be held accountable for her actions, we have no further disagreement. I would be satisfied so long as she never worked with law enforcement or carried a firearm ever again. But I don't speak for everyone.

It turns out that former Brooklyn Center police officer Kim Potter is also the head of the Brooklyn Center Police Union.

Hmmmm. Didn't know that. Good for her.

The officer was not carrying a gun as a matter of personal choice. It was in the course of duty. She made a mistake as a result of the duties put upon her by the job. The job bears some responsibility for this event.

It would be different is some dude decided to carry and pulled and fired on his stroll down the street, but this was someone put into a stressful situation by the people and the person cracked under the pressure. We can't forget we put them there.
No, "we" did not put them there. Or was she forced to enlist as a cop as opposed to making her decision to become one?

There was clearly intent to shoot, the officer said something like...'taser,taser,taser' and then shot. She had the wrong weapon in her hand, and that's on her.
How does one confuse a bright yellow taser with a black gun? The reason they're painted yellow is to make the distinction obvious.
1618492518894.png

As long as you agree that the officer needs to be held accountable for her actions, we have no further disagreement. I would be satisfied so long as she never worked with law enforcement or carried a firearm ever again. But I don't speak for everyone.

Well if she's convicted of a felony of some sort I guess her firearm owning days will be over, but I personally wouldn't have a problem with her owning a firearm.
Its not the cops carrying of a firearm that was the problem here, it was confusion between 2 different weapons one which was lethal and one that isnt.

Dumb Duante should have behaved himself and went to court. He'd still be committing crimes today if he had. (y)

How does one confuse a bright yellow taser with a black gun? The reason they're painted yellow is to make the distinction obvious.
View attachment 67328696

Muscle memory. The officer should be credited for her intention to use a non-lethal weapon in a situation in which some officers would have shot him dead on purpose.

No, "we" did not put them there. Or was she forced to enlist as a cop as opposed to making her decision to become one?

Society needs its Police, yes we put them there.

have a little respect. I know you want to hate them, but we need them.
Its the Duantes that deserve our scorn and derision. Get it straight.

Back
Top Bottom