• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Obama acts on immigration, announcing decision to defer deportations of 4 million

Emporer Obamarama Ding-Dong is simply out of control. He thinks we're some type of tribe he can shove decrees down our throats, not a republic with a Constitution and rule of law.

Now that this has been done, I look forward to the day a Republican president will decree a flat tax of 10%, and closing down a number of agencies.

immigration officials Obama is not an immigration official, and the reason that they gave them that power is because they hear all stories and find out the reason why.
that doesn't give the president the right to change immigration law which is exactly what he did.

he said do not deport these groups of people when the law says otherwise.

I wish you'd stop selecting what information you want to read:

Federal officials, as an initial matter, must decide whether it makes sense to pursue removal at all.

Please tell me you're not going to argue that Obama is not a federal official. It's tedious to argue with someone who believes their subjective opinion to be the truth. Again, no law was changed. An exception was granted. This is no different than anything which has been done historically by about 6 previous presidents.

In general you are correct as to the law except that the Attorney General is authorized to make exceptions. Link: 8 U.S. Code § 1324a - Unlawful employment of aliens | LII / Legal Information Institute the exception is the
very last provision. So the AG has it within his power to wave a magic wand and except every illegal immigrant from the employment provisions of the law.

As to how that's implemented, don't know. No idea what administrative procedures would need to be used or how much it would cost.

The Attorney General has broad statutory authority under the law that applies to illegal immigrants and workplace to except any illegals he wants to from its provisions. See the statute I referenced in the post above this one. Obama is probably on solid ground legally. Whether he should is an open question but he is most probably on very solid legal ground.

Rest assured that using these "limited resources" to focus on granting amnesty to illegal aliens now in the US will not help speed up the processing of legal immigrant applicants who are patiently waiting outside the US. This is not so much about immigration reform but simply pandering to a base of morons that see no logical distinction between those that obey the law and those that do not. It will accelerate the "need" to enter the US illegally in order to get faster service from DHS. These amnesty now folks constantly assert that no head of line privileges will result yet any moron can see that is completely false.

According to who? Obama? I'm thinking this may be another scenario where relies on the stupidity of his base. :lamo

Not enforcing a law against someone today is not the same thing as saying "you can never be prosecuted for it." Obama's successor can legally deport every illegal the day after he's sworn in. What Obama has done has not changed that.

Look at it this way. Even if he granted amnesty, which he hasn't, but assume he did, the illegals violate immigration law every day they are here. Presidents cannot grant amnesty for crimes not yet committed. So on day 2 of a new administration every illegal once again violates immigration law and can be deported for that.

Last edited:

Fair enough. We can argue the wisdom of what's he doing. We really can't argue the legality as far as I can tell.

Fair enough. We can argue the wisdom of what's he doing. We really can't argue the legality as far as I can tell.

Are you kidding me? The immigration law specifically requires application from OUTSIDE the US except for very narrowly defined refugee and asylum seekers. Obama does not like that law so he is changing the very meaning of the law to "laser focus" on areas that have no basis in the immigration law as written. Prosecutorial discretion is far different than changing immigration law; not arresting an unlicensed driver is far different than giving them a license.

Again what Obama is doing is legal. I've pointed to his statutory authority for doing so. He is not changing immigration, he is choosing not to enforce it and he is choosing to except illegals from the identification and status requirements of employment law which again he can legally do through the Attorney General.

Granting an EAD card is not a negative action. Obama is going far beyond not prosecuting immigration law violations he is redefining what qualifies a person to get/extend an EAD card.

Granting an EAD card is not a negative action. Obama is going far beyond not prosecuting immigration law violations he is redefining what qualifies a person to get/extend an EAD card.

And he has the legal authority to do that.

He said it would be illegal to do exactly this? When?

I can think of at least 22 times....

Now, either you are willfully ignorant to these statements, or trying to be.

Continued from last post ...

And in none of those cases did those orders effect millions of random illegal aliens. Therein lies the difference.

OK, so according to you, it's OK to break the law if you are only doing it a little. LOL.

Why is that ironic?

I'm still wondering why Apdst claimed 'black nationalists' is ironic. Does he believe this country is not for blacks?

He has since changed his post that I quoted, but my quote was accurate:

Tye only thing more ironic than black nationalists

I'd like an explanation. It looks like flat-out racism to me, claiming that the US is not for blacks.

Greetings, cpwill. :2wave:

So what changed his thinking since 2011? Did he become King somewhere along the way? If so, I guess I missed it! :shock: I don't think he would be happy as King anyway - they have pesky Parliaments to deal with!

He's hinted a time or two, I think, that he envies the Chinese Premier, who is effectively an autocrat.

The law grants him the power to do that just as the law allows him to defer deportations.

IOW, he is merely exercising powers that Congress has delegated to him.

I'm going from memory here, but I think it's Sec 1103 that grants the AG the power to issue regulations as to how to exercise the powers granted to him by the various laws. IOW, the AG himself decides what admin procedures would be needed and used.

Last edited:

Since the presidents actions do not affect those who have been in the country for less than five years (as of now), it will have no effect on anyone who enters the country in the future. Therefore, there is no acceleration of any "need". The presidents actions do not provide any sort of benefit for those who have not yet made it into the US

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…