• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Oakland Streets Erupt Into ’12 Hours Of Non-Stop Chaos’; Homicides, Shootings, Sideshow Violence

This is just horrifying news. But not surprising, Oakland has long been a nightmare.

I received a letter yesterday from a relative who lives in a relatively small town near Sacramento.

She said that people were coming to her town to loot local stores.

As soon as they are released from jail (if they are arrested), they immediately return to -- the San Francisco area.

I just saw Ms. P., Mr. Biden's spokesperson, in a clip shown on FOX trying to explain that this current crime orgy is cyclical. I do not blame Ms. P. for fibbing. What else can she say?

This is just horrifying news. But not surprising, Oakland has long been a nightmare.

I received a letter yesterday from a relative who lives in a relatively small town near Sacramento.

She said that people were coming to her town to loot local stores.

As soon as they are released from jail (if they are arrested), they immediately return to -- the San Francisco area.

I just saw Ms. P., Mr. Biden's spokesperson, in a clip shown on FOX trying to explain that this current crime orgy is cyclical. I do not blame Ms. P. for fibbing. What else can she say?
Crime is cyclical. Why do you think that this is wrong? I was taught this criminal justice classes about 10 years ago.

Leftists have no humor unless it's mean-spirited. Their Trump jokes wore thin years ago.
You find no humor in MyCrackhead Pillow guy telling people that Trump will be reinstated on August 13th? How is that "mean-spirited"?
He's become the same crackpot that proclaims the end of the world is coming on such-and-such date. You simply have to laugh at him.

You find no humor in MyCrackhead Pillow guy telling people that Trump will be reinstated on August 13th? How is that "mean-spirited"?
He's become the same crackpot that proclaims the end of the world is coming on such-and-such date. You simply have to laugh at him.
Why does this one guys seem to bother you? He lives rent free in your head.

Why haven't you done anything about it?
@roguenuke ? I don't see him starting any threads complaining about gun violence in cities where it's predominantly black.
What I see is the right constantly bringing up stories about this, complain that the left isn't doing anything about it, yet NEVER provide solutions on hoe they would stop the violence.

Sharkey: I’ve argued against the idea that it’s about individual economic conditions. It’s very clear that economic recessions typically do not translate into more crime.

My argument is that in areas where communities go through periods of disinvestment and where institutions break down, people feel like they’re on their own. This creates conditions where violence becomes more likely. As a place becomes more violent, people change their behavior. They become more likely to interpret uncertainty in an aggressive way, more likely to carry a weapon, more likely to act quickly or first if they feel threatened. This is how the presence of violence creates more violence. This cascading effect, where violence begets violence, has been reinforced in the past year.

Last year, everyday patterns of life broke down. Schools shut down. Young people were on their own. There was a widespread sense of a crisis and a surge in gun ownership. People stopped making their way to institutions that they know and where they spend their time. That type of destabilization is what creates the conditions for violence to emerge.

We need to make a better investment towards those who are disadvantaged.

Why does this one guys seem to bother you? He lives rent free in your head.
He doesn't bother me. He's current news. Folks on this board talk about him.
Don't like to talk about current events? Stay away from threads like that.
I just chuckle that stupid asses think this guy knows anything (except smoking crack).

@roguenuke ? I don't see him starting any threads complaining about gun violence in cities where it's predominantly black.
What I see is the right constantly bringing up stories about this, complain that the left isn't doing anything about it, yet NEVER provide solutions on hoe they would stop the violence.
How about stop pushing to defund the police, and other similar insane ideas? It's not rocket science.

Crime is cyclical. Why do you think that this is wrong? I was taught this criminal justice classes about 10 years ago.
Thank you for your opinion and comment about criminal justice classes.

Some people (including me) feel that it is inaccurate to describe this current orgy of violence as "cyclical."

Some people feel that there are other reasons for this nightmare, but they are (understandably) loath to mention them.

How about stop pushing to defund the police, and other similar insane ideas? It's not rocket science.
Ah, so before this slogan became a thing in 2020, there was no violence?
Insane ideas, like what?

Thank you for your opinion and comment about criminal justice classes.

Some people (including me) feel that it is inaccurate to describe this current orgy of violence as "cyclical."

Some people feel that there are other reasons for this nightmare, but they are (understandably) loath to mention them.
There are plenty of reasons that violence increases and declines. It is still cyclic. The hope though is that the cycle will be smaller and, when the violence levels go down, they drop below the initial valley. That has been going on for the past few decades though.

Even people who study violence can't tell you exactly what is causing violence increases or peaks, just factors that are likely to be doing so. You can feel however you all want, but it doesn't make you correct.

Why haven't you done anything about it?
Taking criminal justice classes from law enforcement officers 10 years ago doesn't equate to "expert who is perfectly capable of dealing with these problems that people throughout our past couldn't solve". Especially when I went a different way with my career choice. The argument was that someone was lying because they pointed out that crime is cyclical. Crime is cyclical. It doesn't mean that circumstances within our time can't be affecting it (the same thing happens with the economy, which is also cyclical) nor that the same things will work every time to reduce crime.

Since President Biden wants to simply diversify police funding (and stated that would likely require more funding over time), then it appears he is attempting to do this now.

Then there is this:

So, what was the event to set them off over July 4th?
This kind of aberrant behavior was typical on July 4th and a succession of days afterwards. Here in my once quiet neck of the woods, people behaved horribly. For three days, what were once considered normal people shot off illegal pyrotechnics, and fired guns. They left debris and garbage all over HOA neighborhoods, terrified pets, upset babies, damaged property - literally shot parked cars - and did it all in complete defiance of any ordinance or law. It finally took the county police to end it on day four. America is falling apart. i live in a top growing - if not the fastest growing - county in the nation. After what I witnessed - not to mention the harm these miscreants did to my livestock - I'm looking to move. And if it happened here, it happened all over, albeit the more rural, the safer, as far as I'm concerned. The fact that Oakland and San Francisco have more opportunity in terms of looting and crowds does not mean these cities were isolated in terms of what is obviously a national psychosis. And my solution is to give the police and the National Guard full support to do whatever they have to do to end it. Police should not be pelted or assaulted or attempted - as in the Northwest - to be set on fire. And communities should not live in fear. Enough is enough. Thanks!!

Last edited:
He doesn't bother me. He's current news. Folks on this board talk about him.
Don't like to talk about current events? Stay away from threads like that.
I just chuckle that stupid asses think this guy knows anything (except smoking crack).
He's not current news. He came out one time and did something newsworthy, and you guys have been losing your collective shit over him for a year.

We now have a Chicago gun violence thread and an Oakland gun violence thread. I think those two together, on an annual basis, come to around 5 or 6% (off the top of my head for 2019) of all gun violence in our country.

Where are the other threads? Why only huge population centers and not the per capita leaders like Alaska, Mississippi, Wyoming, New Mexico, Alabama?
Why are you attempting to destroy the narrative the Trump-worshippers are creating where it's all the fault of black people? And the other narrative where being racist has no connection to being a Trumper ... like OMG, can't see why someone would talk about Trump when I was just focusing exclusively on news that casts non-white Americans as bad and criminal?

CaughtInThe, please ignore the YeeHawShootEmUp states in the future, nothing to see there.

While I disagree with where Trumpers want to take it, that much is true. Oakland is and has long been an utter ****show.

Yes, there is a lot of truth in that.

Yes, there is. All his life, Donald Trump’s standard answer to the question “how low can you go?”, was “hold my beer”.

He set the standard for small minded pettiness, cheap insults, name calling, dog whistles, and vulgarity.

He set the bar lower than anyone else has gone (except maybe his pals Roger Stone, Stephen Miller and Steve Bannon).

It isn't that people are loathe to mention the perpetrators.

Its the excusing of the actions that only seems to come from one side.

Well, they are poor.

Well, they are oppressed.

Well, they are uneducated.

Well, it's just gangs.

Well, it's the guns!

The excuses need to end and something needs to be done about them.

Them, for those too moronic to understand the written word, are the perpetrators of these things.

People, ALL PEOPLE, need to be held personally responsible for the choices they make. Do the crime, do the time. Have a kid, raise that kid. Don't study in school, work at McDonalds.

The world, NOR the US, owes you a damn thing.

People, ALL PEOPLE, need to be held personally responsible for the choices they make.

Yes, most people agree with you.

But they dare not say it in public (except on message boards) for obvious reasons.

I regularly read the Daily Mail website because it gives the horrible American crime news that our media shy away from.

This morning I read about a successful young man riding the subway in a large American city when a stray bullet came into the subway car.

He is now dead and his family is grieving.

Needless to say, the perp will never be found, let alone punished.

It made me sick to my stomach.

(If it is any cold comfort, the perp will eventually anger another bad actor, and the former will never hurt another person again.)

Gunviolence 519uploadartboard 4 Copy

hey. anyone know why California, Illinois and NY aren't in the chart above?

Back
Top Bottom