• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NYC woman Kathleen Casillo, who drove through BLM protest, says no to plea deal again

She was definitely placed in a tough situation, but was that the fault of other ‘protestors’ (who ended up injured by her vehicle) who simply happened to be in the path of her escape route?

It could (and IMHO should) be argued that those who attacked her were criminally responsible, but if none of them have been identified and/or charged with a crime the jury might not see it that way.
At the start of the clip they surround her. That's their fault not hers. Once she breaks away those other protesters are victims if she hit them.

Sorry, you don't get to use that ad hoc nonsense to weasel out of this one. A decision must be made.
I made the decision already, as I told you. I would disallow the law breaking that are the protestors in the right of way.

Want to protest in the street, get a permit and close the road.
If your entire position rests on all laws being equal and deservi g equal respect, the my work is done. Because that's mindless garbage.
Indeed, mindless garbage to you as you seem to think the breaking of laws is A-OK!
And yet that is not what we have witnessed. So this is also ad hoc, dismissive nonsense.
Uh, what we witnessed could have indeed been resolved by the courts. What the reaction was to that incident can also.

One was a boo boo, the reaction to the reaction resulted in people getting run down.

I don't know, it depends on who was hit and what they were doing. Not sure why they were jaywalking or milling about in the middle of the street, anyway.
Because there was a protest....seriously?

I'm not seeing the debate here..its kinds both sided.

They ****ed around with her and found out. You don't press someone like that and get in front of a car like that.

But on the other hand she drove reckless In a crowd.

I'm gonna have to blame both parties here and those people surrounding her car should have been arrested and given probation or something.
Likely yes.

Excuses, excuses. The protestors had a permit. Just like having a permit in a parade. If her action was intentional, she got what she deserved.
My understanding is that there was no permit.

This would be more akin to being able to shove someone blocking the exit door to the club.
no, it wouldn't and a that calim is is pure dishonesty LMAO

not to mention i still wouldn't get to assault, punch, kick and knock over anybody and everybody in front of the doorway
why post such nonsense when it will only be mocked for its stupidity

Its easy to gamble with "play years of your life".... She is facing REAL prison time if convicted...
Um...Rick's correct here and your post really doesn't address that at all.

They grabbed door handles and got in front of her. Reasonable to say her life may have been in danger.

Sorry I wouldn't convict her at all.

From the video yes she did. IN the first part of the video when no one is around he and there is someone in the road she bumps into him. Thats battery.
Not where I live, that's J-Walking and the law protects me if someone is J-Walking and I hit them, even in a permitted protest, unless the police have closed the street.

Tho I don't know the laws in NYC.

I don't go about hitting J-Walkers if I can avoid it, and she'll have to answer for that come time for trial. She may have had a valid reason to proceed, we didn't see what happened before that.

We don't know her state of mind, if she had reasonable cause to believe she was in danger if she stopped.

Skilled lawyers can set all sorts of reasonable doubt in the minds of a jury, provided you can afford their services, and she only needs one person sick and tried of the lack of orderly peaceable protests.

Now if the protesters were protected by NYC ordnance, or NY state law, to be in the street blocking traffic, then she may get convicted on the lesser charge for bumping this person, which maybe why they tied to give her this sweetheart deal.

She still rejected this deal, so either her lawyers think they have a case to get her off, or she isn't listening to the legal advice she is paying for, but that's privileged so we will never likely know.

Um...Rick's correct here and your post really doesn't address that at all.

They grabbed door handles and got in front of her. Reasonable to say her life may have been in danger.

Sorry I wouldn't convict her at all.
AFTER she had already hit one of the protestors....

Watch this video...

Yeah the dude walks up to her, sees her coming..and walks Into her path.

Reminds me of those insurance scams you see in Russia all the time.

Then the rest show up..

I don't fault her. That dude knew exactly what he was doing.

AFTER she had already hit one of the protestors....
After he saw the car and walked directly towards her and then turned his body. He knew exactly what he was doing.

You are skipping this part. Be objective

Now lets look at some reall attacks on people in cars and see the difference:

Longer one starts about .45

The world is watching.

The world saw as cops blocked off freaking interstates to protect armed Trump supporters who had blocked the interstates with their vehicles. The police politely engaged with them and asked them to leave, while blocking INTERSTATES to protect them and the public at large.

The world watched as armed white wingers took over a State Capitol and were politely asked to leave.

The world watched as unarmed BLM protestors were assaulted by police and citizens, ostensibly for "blocking the streets".

The world sees us for what we are more clearly than we do.

Yeah the dude walks up to her, sees her coming..and walks Into her path.

Reminds me of those insurance scams you see in Russia all the time.

Then the rest show up..

I don't fault her. That dude knew exactly what he was doing.

It also reminds me of people trying to warn an approaching car that there are people ahead.. What do you think he will say?

At the start of the clip they surround her. That's their fault not hers. Once she breaks away those other protesters are victims if she hit them.

That wasn’t my point. If what they did wasn’t criminal then they can’t be held criminally responsible for those that she ran into.

It also reminds me of people trying to warn an approaching car that there are people ahead.. What do you think he will say?
That's not his job to walk in front. You put your hand up and ask to person to stop.

He did none of that. His hands are in his pockets.
Had he moved out of the way she would have kept on slow driving through..

And before you start arguing new York jury, I'm from equally liberal Boston.

That wasn’t my point. If what they did wasn’t criminal then they can’t be held criminally responsible for those that she ran into.
It was gonna turn into mob justice by pulling her out and detaining her.

Where is your evidence of this?

Find that video.

The video posted in the thread doesn't show anyone jumping on her car, doesn't show anyone trying to get into her car, banging on the windows or not letting her drive.

What she did was very reckless and irresponsible. I would put her in prison for a few years to think about what she did.

I hope she gets sued by everyone she injured.

The video posted in the thread doesn't show anyone jumping on her car, doesn't show anyone trying to get into her car, banging on the windows or not letting her drive.

What she did was very reckless and irresponsible. I would put her in prison for a few years to think about what she did.

I hope she gets sued by everyone she injured.
They did show one person grabbing a door handle. But she was already moving at that point.

Um, okay, but the words of her defense attorney means nothing.

The video would support his claim. There is no video. In the video clip we've all seen, there is no threat apparent.

There are 2 videos in this thread.

The first one doesn't show much of what happened before she mowed innocent people down.

The second one does. Her video starts at 3:12 in the video posted. It shows two people touching her car. One touched her window. One did try to grab the door handle.

That's when she hit the gas and mowed people down.

No one was on top of her car. There wasn't a big mob surrounding her and her car.

Cars can be replaced. That's what insurance is for. Humans can't be replaced. A responsible person knows this and puts human life before a car.

She should have done the responsible thing and tried to get out of there without harming anyone.

That's what I would have done. If they damaged my car, it's just a thing and can be fixed, I would have filed a claim with my insurance company for the repairs and moved on.

NYC woman Kathleen Casillo, who drove through BLM protest, says no to plea deal again​

Casillo’s lawyer told The Post she said no to a deal that would have had her plead guilty in exchange for a one-year driver license suspension and six days of community service.

Casillo nixed the plea deal in Manhattan Criminal Court on Tuesday, nearly a year after she first said no to the same offer on charges of reckless assault and reckless endangerment.

“We are in the process of providing the DA’s office with video showing agitators harassing patrons of businesses along the protest before descending on Mrs. Casillo and her daughter by physically putting their hands on the hood of her car, jumping on the hood and attempting to smash the car window and attempting to open said car,” Storch said.

“Nobody should ever have to be forced into a fight or flight predicament when simply on their way to go Christmas shopping.”

Casillo and her then-29-year-old daughter were Christmas shopping when they found themselves faced with BLM protesters at East 39th Street and Third Avenue at around 4 p.m. The group was demonstrating in support of people jailed in the region by US Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Casillo claimed that protesters began banging on her car and tried to get her and her daughter out of the BMW before she floored it. Video of the incident showed several pedestrians sent flying as the car veers through the protest.

“I never intended on hurting anyone,” Casillo told The Daily Mail in a 2021 interview. “I just feared for my daughter’s life more than anybody. I thought they were going to pull her out of the car.”

Some local activists had called for increased charges against Casillo, who is Italian American, and have demonstrated outside the courthouse.

One person allegedly hit by the car said at a rally last year that “white supremacy” allowed the driver to believe “she had the right to end the lives of anyone that got in her way, especially BLM protesters,” according to amNewYork.

What's your point?

Excuses, excuses. The protestors had a permit. Just like having a permit in a parade. If her action was intentional, she got what she deserved.
Can you cite that permit? If they had a permit and the road wasn't closed then this was a magnificent failure on the part of the law enforcement agency.

Back
Top Bottom