• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NYC woman Kathleen Casillo, who drove through BLM protest, says no to plea deal again

MrNiceGuy

Symbiotic Pnemonic
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate

NYC woman Kathleen Casillo, who drove through BLM protest, says no to plea deal again​

Casillo’s lawyer told The Post she said no to a deal that would have had her plead guilty in exchange for a one-year driver license suspension and six days of community service.

Casillo nixed the plea deal in Manhattan Criminal Court on Tuesday, nearly a year after she first said no to the same offer on charges of reckless assault and reckless endangerment.

“We are in the process of providing the DA’s office with video showing agitators harassing patrons of businesses along the protest before descending on Mrs. Casillo and her daughter by physically putting their hands on the hood of her car, jumping on the hood and attempting to smash the car window and attempting to open said car,” Storch said.

“Nobody should ever have to be forced into a fight or flight predicament when simply on their way to go Christmas shopping.”

Casillo and her then-29-year-old daughter were Christmas shopping when they found themselves faced with BLM protesters at East 39th Street and Third Avenue at around 4 p.m. The group was demonstrating in support of people jailed in the region by US Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Casillo claimed that protesters began banging on her car and tried to get her and her daughter out of the BMW before she floored it. Video of the incident showed several pedestrians sent flying as the car veers through the protest.

“I never intended on hurting anyone,” Casillo told The Daily Mail in a 2021 interview. “I just feared for my daughter’s life more than anybody. I thought they were going to pull her out of the car.”

Some local activists had called for increased charges against Casillo, who is Italian American, and have demonstrated outside the courthouse.

One person allegedly hit by the car said at a rally last year that “white supremacy” allowed the driver to believe “she had the right to end the lives of anyone that got in her way, especially BLM protesters,” according to amNewYork.

I wish her luck in front of a jury...

I have to say she has a lot of character and nerves of steel. She could have gotten out with a slap on the wrist and some community service and just put it all behind her over a year ago. Yet here she is, again refusing the plea deal - a sweetheart deal that does not match the overly harsh charges -- I mean, community service for "reckless" ramming into a crowd of people without justification? (must be without justification for the charge to stick). The one thing she doesn't want to do is admit that she had no reason to do what she did.

If it's accurate that there is video of a crowd of people were standing on her car, banging on it, banging on windows, trying to open the door, and that she really was just out on a shopping trip and happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, where this group (who are also on video harassing other people) attacked her car while she was in it, well, I think she gets an acquittal, and a book deal.

These reactionaries declaring that she should be handed even stiffer charges and to be taught a lesson due to her "white supremacy" are disgusting, all the way around.

I have to say she has a lot of character and nerves of steel. She could have gotten out with a slap on the wrist and some community service and just put it all behind her over a year ago. Yet here she is, again refusing the plea deal - a sweetheart deal that does not match the overly harsh charges -- I mean, community service for "reckless" ramming into a crowd of people without justification? (must be without justification for the charge to stick). The one thing she doesn't want to do is admit that she had no reason to do what she did.

If it's accurate that there is video of a crowd of people were standing on her car, banging on it, banging on windows, trying to open the door, and that she really was just out on a shopping trip and happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, where this group (who are also on video harassing other people) attacked her car while she was in it, well, I think she gets an acquittal, and a book deal.

These reactionaries declaring that she should be handed even stiffer charges and to be taught a lesson due to her "white supremacy" are disgusting, all the way around.
LMAO.. Again, I wish her luck with a jury.. NY prisons are no joke..

Holy shit. That was intentional and I'm surprised she didn't kill a lot of people.
Yeah, the mob was intentionally banging on her car, jumping on it, trying to open the doors and banging on the windows, not letting her drive away on a public road. All that was intentional. Her attempt to flee was apparently her only way out. If a mob encircles a person's car on the street and violently attacks it, what do you propose a driver do?

Bravo to her for being so courageous.

I have not followed the case, but did see a bit yesterday on my beloved FOX (the only source of truth in this fast-changing nation).

As I understand, she had to get the blank out of there fast, for those horrid BLM protesters were attacking her and running absolutely amok in the streets.

Of course, the woke politicians (like kneeling Nancy) and woke prosecutors took the side of the protesters in those BLM marches that often degenerated into violent attacks on good people.

It is only going to get worse in the coming decades, but I am already 85, so ...

I wish her luck in front of a jury...

I suspect the DA thinks she may be lucky in front of a jury, for them to offer such a good deal.
I also think she should take that deal, unless there are other conditions we are not seeing.

I understand being scared but flooring a beamer into a crowd of people? I am asking myself what I would have done and am hoping I never have to find out. Judging someone when I have never been in such a situation is not something that I want to do either.

I have not followed the case, but did see a bit yesterday on my beloved FOX (the only source of truth in this fast-changing nation).

As I understand, she had to get the blank out of there fast, for those horrid BLM protesters were attacking her and running absolutely amok in the streets.

Of course, the woke politicians (like kneeling Nancy) and woke prosecutors took the side of the protesters in those BLM marches that often degenerated into violent attacks on good people.

It is only going to get worse in the coming decades, but I am already 85, so ...
I can only shake my head.

LMAO.. Again, I wish her luck with a jury.. NY prisons are no joke..
Indeed. Best of luck to her. If she truly did not fear for her life that day, she would have taken the sweetheart deal.

I understand being scared but flooring a beamer into a crowd of people? I am asking myself what I would have done and am hoping I never have to find out. Judging someone when I have never been in such a situation is not something that I want to do either.
Indeed - the video above doesn't start at the very very beginning. The rioters were jumping on her car, banging into it, and literally trying to open the doors. The two women inside were afraid the mob was going to try to drag them out of the car.

Blocking a street during an non-permitted protest is illegal, attacking someone's car is illegal, if the person is in the car while it is being attacked is even more illegal and is the equivalent of assault and battery, and blocking someone in while others are trying to open the door and break the window does put someone in legitimate fear.

Reasonable doubt is all over this.

I can only shake my head.
I guess she should have just shut the engine off and waited for the folks beating and jumping on her car, trying to open the doors, and banging on the glass, to finish up. After all, that's peaceful protest in the best traditions of dissent in our white supremacist country.

If there is one word of advice everyone can follow is that if you find yourself surrounded by a mob of people jumping on your car, the right thing to do si wait until they drag you out and beat you. Then, as a woman, you can fight back.

The black people are responsible for slavery, or everyone did it guy is trying to whitewash running over BLM supporters.

What a coinkidink. Such a mystery.

Neither black people nor white people today are responsible for slavery, unless they actually have or trade in slaves. What are you on about?

Whitewash? When the defense shows the additional video evidence of this mob rioting and harassing other people, and shows the mob jumping on the car, trying to open the doors to get at the people inside, banging on the windows, etc., I'm sure the fact that this was just a peaceful protest and a white supremacist Christmas shopper just took her opportunity to run people over for no reason.

I find it amazing how many people here are willing to say that two women out for a Christmas shopping trip who were surrounded by a mob trying to break into their car shouldn't have driven away.

What should they have done? Sat their and taken it?

Yeah, the mob was intentionally banging on her car, jumping on it, trying to open the doors and banging on the windows, not letting her drive away on a public road. All that was intentional. Her attempt to flee was apparently her only way out. If a mob encircles a person's car on the street and violently attacks it, what do you propose a driver do?

Where is your evidence of this?

Find that video.

Holy shit. That was intentional and I'm surprised she didn't kill a lot of people.
I think I'd have to see previous video.

If what she claimed happened, actually happened, I don't really fault her. If someone jumps on my car and attempts to open the doors to get at my kids, you are signing your own death warrant.

I don't mean this with any disrespect, but your admission of your age could be an admission of some delusion. That post was not only disgusting, but very delusional.

She was so courageous that she may just end up in jail for 20 years for that. What are you thinking man?

Neither black people nor white people today are responsible for slavery,

This word was not in the argument you made, and here you are, trying to rewrite it today, to fit your purpose in a thread where you and that other sheet washer @TheParser, try to defend running over BLM protesters. That seems coincidental.

Lol, did you feel an itch to scratch?

I guess she should have just shut the engine off and waited for the folks beating and jumping on her car, trying to open the doors, and banging on the glass, to finish up. After all, that's peaceful protest in the best traditions of dissent in our white supremacist country.

If there is one word of advice everyone can follow is that if you find yourself surrounded by a mob of people jumping on your car, the right thing to do si wait until they drag you out and beat you. Then, as a woman, you can fight back.
Well, she did make one mistake.

When she saw suspicious characters ahead, she should have immediately turned around and beaten a fast retreat.

That is a lesson that everyone soon learns in any American city.

NYC woman Kathleen Casillo, who drove through BLM protest, says no to plea deal again​

Casillo’s lawyer told The Post she said no to a deal that would have had her plead guilty in exchange for a one-year driver license suspension and six days of community service.

Casillo nixed the plea deal in Manhattan Criminal Court on Tuesday, nearly a year after she first said no to the same offer on charges of reckless assault and reckless endangerment.

“We are in the process of providing the DA’s office with video showing agitators harassing patrons of businesses along the protest before descending on Mrs. Casillo and her daughter by physically putting their hands on the hood of her car, jumping on the hood and attempting to smash the car window and attempting to open said car,” Storch said.

“Nobody should ever have to be forced into a fight or flight predicament when simply on their way to go Christmas shopping.”

Casillo and her then-29-year-old daughter were Christmas shopping when they found themselves faced with BLM protesters at East 39th Street and Third Avenue at around 4 p.m. The group was demonstrating in support of people jailed in the region by US Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Casillo claimed that protesters began banging on her car and tried to get her and her daughter out of the BMW before she floored it. Video of the incident showed several pedestrians sent flying as the car veers through the protest.

“I never intended on hurting anyone,” Casillo told The Daily Mail in a 2021 interview. “I just feared for my daughter’s life more than anybody. I thought they were going to pull her out of the car.”

Some local activists had called for increased charges against Casillo, who is Italian American, and have demonstrated outside the courthouse.

One person allegedly hit by the car said at a rally last year that “white supremacy” allowed the driver to believe “she had the right to end the lives of anyone that got in her way, especially BLM protesters,” according to amNewYork.

She was definitely placed in a tough situation, but was that the fault of other ‘protestors’ (who ended up injured by her vehicle) who simply happened to be in the path of her escape route?

It could (and IMHO should) be argued that those who attacked her were criminally responsible, but if none of them have been identified and/or charged with a crime the jury might not see it that way.

Well, she did make one mistake.

When she saw suspicious characters ahead, she should have immediately turned around and beaten a fast retreat.

That is a lesson that everyone soon learns in any American city.
A peaceful protest of black people is suspicious? Sounds racist to me.

Back
Top Bottom