• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

No Man's Sky

Well, as I normally do with games once I get a good handle on them...I started over with a new game. Still just as addicting. Now, instead of just randomly wandering the universe, Captain Lee Harvey Keitel has a purpose...acquire the elusive AtlasPass (whatever the hell it is). Funny though...seems the game looks a little different now that I've started over. The old game barely had any ambulatory life forms. Now, I see them everywhere. Might just be the planets I've been on, but the sentinels leave me alone more as I raze the landscape of resources. Also found that monoliths are harder to spot. I've found them in craters and caves now.

...and if you come across a star system called "Lee Harvey Keitel," well sir...go name your own system.

For what it's worth, I read an article yesterday where the studio promised that all DLC would be free. In your face, EA.

Out of curiosity, how did you start over? I don't recall seeing an option for a new game?

Anyway, I'm still into this game. The new solar system I'm in seems to have a planet that's just loaded with high end resources. Unfortunately the planet is freezing cold, the sentinels are flat out nasty and much of the wildlife wants to eat me.

Now, after roughly 40 hours into the game, I've finally developed a strategy, made a few more discoveries that keep things entertaining and am probably more into the game than I was earlier.

You mentioned an Atlas Pass. You should get one if you follow the main tutorial. I missed mine at first because I didn't know I could scan animals and plants. Apparently there are three levels of this pass and I don't have a clue as to how to get the 2nd or 3rd level.

Some helpful hints for those that might choose to play -
1. Explore caves.
2. Beef up your Multitool. Grenades are good for getting into secure buildings.
3. Facilities with landing pads all have a Galactic Exchange interface. You don't need to go to a space station or trading post to cash in your loot.
4. Scan stuff. Not only do you need scanned stuff to get your first Atlas Pass but you get paid for it!
5. There are "drop pods" all over the place with Exosuit upgrades. It takes quite a bit of cash along the way but every upgrade is another inventory spot.
6. When upgrading suit, tool or ship components you don't need to upgrade in stages. For instance, you can install a "Theta" level upgrade without the "Sigma" or "Tau" upgrade. Getting rid of your lower level upgrades opens up more inventory spaces.
7. Learn words. The better you can communicate the more likely you'll make the "right" choice when dealing with NPC's.
8. If you happen to find a crashed ship on your planet you don't need to fix everything to get it to fly. If all you want to do is find the next crashed ship with one more inventory slot all you really need to fix is the thruster.

Out of curiosity, how did you start over? I don't recall seeing an option for a new game?
For the PS4, I just went and found the save game and deleted it. Booted the game up, and it was like loading for the first time.

Anyway, I'm still into this game. The new solar system I'm in seems to have a planet that's just loaded with high end resources. Unfortunately the planet is freezing cold, the sentinels are flat out nasty and much of the wildlife wants to eat me.
Planets with gold mines of resources usually have pretty high sentinel patrols. One planet I landed on was called "Paradise 1" Perfect atmosphere. TONS of resources. Lots of drop pods. ...sentinels shot on sight, regardless what I was doing. It's a risk/reward thing.

You mentioned an Atlas Pass. You should get one if you follow the main tutorial. I missed mine at first because I didn't know I could scan animals and plants. Apparently there are three levels of this pass and I don't have a clue as to how to get the 2nd or 3rd level.
First Atlas Pass I got was from a robot priest. I never knew you could just scan stuff and get one.

1. Explore caves.
I haven't found anything in caves but plutonium, iron or carbon. Nothing else of interest.
2. Beef up your Multitool. Grenades are good for getting into secure buildings.
Amen.
7. Learn words. The better you can communicate the more likely you'll make the "right" choice when dealing with NPC's.
I'm up to 75 words. One encounter I had was about 75% deciphered!
8. If you happen to find a crashed ship on your planet you don't need to fix everything to get it to fly. If all you want to do is find the next crashed ship with one more inventory slot all you really need to fix is the thruster.
Haven't found one worth upgrading.

My hint is: Sentinels (on average) seem to care less if you mine high end stuff like gold or emeril. Find a planet with tons of that stuff, and you can make $2MM just by filling your ship up with goodies, and selling it at an outpost or at the local space station. I've basically raped one planet of gold while sentinels leisurely flew by.

Oh, and phase beam pirates. The photon cannon is useless on them.

There's a lot of Star Citizen vs. Elite Dangerous stuff going on right now.
With that said, Star Citizen looks interesting, but they've yet to deliver a fleshed out game, while taking in loads of money (I'm talking over $100 mil iirc).

At the moment, in my opinion, Elite is the gold standard.
Combine it with third party voice software Voice Attack (to simulate an on board voiced computer) and you're in immersion heaven.
Be forewarned though that the flight controls need a good deal of practice, they aren't plug and play.

My only complaint with the flight system in Elite: Dangerous is that it doesn't have an option for true newtonian flight. Your spacecraft pretty much ALWAYS moves like it's working on atmospheric principles (having to 'bank' when turning at speed, for example, and various other things a real spacecraft wouldn't have to do, because it's moving through a vacuum, and therefore has no air-resistance to limit its motion). The only options are basically "fly like an airplane," or "fly like a slightly harder to control airplane."

From what I've seen, Star Citizen is actually trying to approach this more realistically.

I've become more pessimistic over the last two weeks.

Given that we have seen people claim that being on the same planet at the same time as another player does not mean you will see them, Has anyone been able to confirm that your discoveries and labeling efforts reach the home servers, leading people to discover that someone else was here before them?

If you gave up on Stellaris after 5 minutes...LoLz.

Why are you blaming others for your being a thief? "If he didn't want me to steal his car, he would not have parked it where I could get to it": that is how stupid you sound.

If you do not want to pay for games without demos, then do not play them. Integrity is easy.

He is right in this case at least. The devs were purposefully misleading all the way up until launch. That kind of deception, nothing but attempted thievery on their part, does not deserve reward

He is right in this case at least. The devs were purposefully misleading all the way up until launch. That kind of deception, nothing but attempted thievery on their part, does not deserve reward

So if a bathroom claims it has clean bathrooms, but they are dirty, you are justified in stealing gas?

For the PS4, I just went and found the save game and deleted it. Booted the game up, and it was like loading for the first time.

Planets with gold mines of resources usually have pretty high sentinel patrols. One planet I landed on was called "Paradise 1" Perfect atmosphere. TONS of resources. Lots of drop pods. ...sentinels shot on sight, regardless what I was doing. It's a risk/reward thing.

First Atlas Pass I got was from a robot priest. I never knew you could just scan stuff and get one.

I haven't found anything in caves but plutonium, iron or carbon. Nothing else of interest.

Amen.

I'm up to 75 words. One encounter I had was about 75% deciphered!

Haven't found one worth upgrading.

My hint is: Sentinels (on average) seem to care less if you mine high end stuff like gold or emeril. Find a planet with tons of that stuff, and you can make $2MM just by filling your ship up with goodies, and selling it at an outpost or at the local space station. I've basically raped one planet of gold while sentinels leisurely flew by.

Oh, and phase beam pirates. The photon cannon is useless on them.

The priest you got your Atlas Pass from required information that you could only get from scanning. When I first ran into him I just figured I hadn't got to that part of the game yet and had no idea I could scan stuff.

WRT caves, I've found one just littered with Vortex Cubes and another with Gravitino balls

My only complaint with the flight system in Elite: Dangerous is that it doesn't have an option for true newtonian flight. Your spacecraft pretty much ALWAYS moves like it's working on atmospheric principles (having to 'bank' when turning at speed, for example, and various other things a real spacecraft wouldn't have to do, because it's moving through a vacuum, and therefore has no air-resistance to limit its motion). The only options are basically "fly like an airplane," or "fly like a slightly harder to control airplane."

From what I've seen, Star Citizen is actually trying to approach this more realistically.

Star Citizen though, hasn't really released much.
Although I think Elite needs to do more for better, more immersive content.
I've got it on hold for right now.

I've become more pessimistic over the last two weeks.

Given that we have seen people claim that being on the same planet at the same time as another player does not mean you will see them, Has anyone been able to confirm that your discoveries and labeling efforts reach the home servers, leading people to discover that someone else was here before them?

Multiplayer content was cut.
It is a single player game.

So if a bathroom claims it has clean bathrooms, but they are dirty, you are justified in stealing gas?

Depends on whether or not you can get away with it.

It is not the components.. it is the standard... which No Mans Sky is pretty much the only game that uses... it is not 5 years old tech, it is from late 2014.

And it shows me absolutely nothing other than pretty pictures. It shows nothing about how the game is to play.. is it logical, fun or not.. and so on. Take Stellaris.. I really loved how the game looked, and was tempted to buy it. I got a pirated copy to test it out, and found it was absolutely garbage after 5 minutes because some of the game mechanics. So there I saved 50 bucks. Had there been a demo of the game, then I would have had to pirate the game to find out that it was not my kind of game.

Well if Devs start releasing demo versions of their games again, then there would be no need to do it... but then again revenue would collapse for them.. it is a classic "quick lets get their money before they realise they were conned". And considering that games are getting more and more expensive because of Steam.. then well **** them.

And for the record I do pay for the games I actively play.

Well if the developers didn't charge $50 for a game and charged $25 instead there would he no need to pirate a game ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Multiplayer content was cut.
It is a single player game.

So there is little point in labeling things? The server doesn't collect user-inputed data to share with the community?

So there is little point in labeling things? The server doesn't collect user-inputed data to share with the community?

This says that you can name them, that you get one chance to do so.
Not sure if it's up to date though.

http://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Planet

A lot of what was promised wasn't delivered.
It went from my wishlist to my disregard list.

Mount and Blade 2 is coming out this year anyway.

This says that you can name them, that you get one chance to do so.
Not sure if it's up to date though.

Planet - No Man's Sky Wiki

A lot of what was promised wasn't delivered.
It went from my wishlist to my disregard list.

Mount and Blade 2 is coming out this year anyway.

Labeling creatures and planets is there, I saw that in video reviews. However, what concerns me is that, once again, one of Murray's statements was that labeling your discoveries would be phoned in to the servers. The other features he promoted, while a great disappointment, are not always directly tied to exploration itself. If labeling things are a futility, then I see little point in doing anything at all. It's quickly turning into an advanced form of Pokemon Snap on the Nintendo 64.

Labeling creatures and planets is there, I saw that in video reviews. However, what concerns me is that, once again, one of Murray's statements was that labeling your discoveries would be phoned in to the servers. The other features he promoted, while a great disappointment, are not always directly tied to exploration itself. If labeling things are a futility, then I see little point in doing anything at all. It's quickly turning into an advanced form of Pokemon Snap on the Nintendo 64.

A lot of people are saying that the "Honest Game trailers" video isn't funny, but accurate.
"A feature rich screen saver" is how they jokingly described it.

A lot of people are saying that the "Honest Game trailers" video isn't funny, but accurate.
"A feature rich screen saver" is how they jokingly described it.

Murray said and demonstrated way way too many things over the years to come back from.

But what's especially frustrating *now* is that he's gone from pie in the sky game philosopher to being evasive as hell.

You see from his statements some incredibly vague statement that they needed to figure out what kind of a game No Man's Sky Is, and they concentrated on that. From this we are supposed to gather that aliens don't do anything and there's no need to worry about getting into interplanetary disputes, and so on. But he doesn't come out and say it.

Then when the question about DLCs comes up, first he says they will be free, then he backs away from that, but doesn't resolutely say whether DLCs will be free or not, then he can barely muster a statement about whether or not there will be DLCs at all. All we know is there are going to be patches to tweak and fix the myriad of bugs and crashes people experienced.

But hey, the summary from the interview said he already started pitching content: "Already, Murray has teased fans by suggesting that the games next update would add " the ability to build bases and own giant space freighters".

Do we believe him or not?

Maybe the guy had a talk with himself and said, "woah I said way too many things" and is now erring on the side of "I shouldn't commit our team to anything." But if you do err on the side of being unhampered by promises, then at least keep the pie hole shut until you've got something.

Last edited:
Well if the developers didn't charge $50 for a game and charged $25 instead there would he no need to pirate a game ;)

There would no need to pirate the game if they made a demo available or something similar so you could try it. I dont mind paying 50 dollars for a game, IF it is a game that I am going to play quite a bit. But paying 50 bucks for a buggy or boring game you give up after a couple of hours.. sorry, pirating is the only option to make sure that you dont waste money since there is no demo.

And no, TWITCH / Youtube viewing is not enough, nor is reviews, as reviews are often paid for by the developers.

Ever since Battlefront, I refuse to pay full price for over hyped games at launch. I can wait for the reviews, the reviews are in and its not good.

No thanks, I'll stick to Star Citizen. Even when its $20 on Steam, which might be sooner than later, I'll skip this one.

Ever since Battlefront, I refuse to pay full price for over hyped games at launch. I can wait for the reviews, the reviews are in and its not good.

No thanks, I'll stick to Star Citizen. Even when its $20 on Steam, which might be sooner than later, I'll skip this one.

Pick 2-3 games you love and stick with them.

Me? Rainbow Six and Hitman is pretty much all I play. Love that game. I may buy ufc or another spots game, but I been playing gta with friends recently and loving the racing.

**** Battlefront. I knew EA was going to screw that up; they do that with everything game they touch.

Murray said and demonstrated way way too many things over the years to come back from.

But what's especially frustrating *now* is that he's gone from pie in the sky game philosopher to being evasive as hell.

You see from his statements some incredibly vague statement that they needed to figure out what kind of a game No Man's Sky Is, and they concentrated on that. From this we are supposed to gather that aliens don't do anything and there's no need to worry about getting into interplanetary disputes, and so on. But he doesn't come out and say it.

Then when the question about DLCs comes up, first he says they will be free, then he backs away from that, but doesn't resolutely say whether DLCs will be free or not, then he can barely muster a statement about whether or not there will be DLCs at all. All we know is there are going to be patches to tweak and fix the myriad of bugs and crashes people experienced.

But hey, the summary from the interview said he already started pitching content: "Already, Murray has teased fans by suggesting that the games next update would add " the ability to build bases and own giant space freighters".

Do we believe him or not?

Maybe the guy had a talk with himself and said, "woah I said way too many things" and is now erring on the side of "I shouldn't commit our team to anything." But if you do err on the side of being unhampered by promises, then at least keep the pie hole shut until you've got something.

I suggest you wait and see.
That's the best policy imo.

It may be a good game after a few updates, but in it's current state, I wouldn't recommend buying it at full price.

I suggest you wait and see.
That's the best policy imo.

It may be a good game after a few updates, but in it's current state, I wouldn't recommend buying it at full price.

I'm all for waiting, but I'm now just as likely to forget about it in several months.

Anyhow, the only problem I am having is that I am beginning to regret buying a PS4. The only games I am buying thus far are remastered copies of games from the previous generation because my PS3 bit the dust a couple of years ago.

I'm all for waiting, but I'm now just as likely to forget about it in several months.

Anyhow, the only problem I am having is that I am beginning to regret buying a PS4. The only games I am buying thus far are remastered copies of games from the previous generation because my PS3 bit the dust a couple of years ago.

Aside from the crappy pc ports from console, I see no reason to ever purchase a console.
Again, my opinion, but you just don't get the customization of a pc on a console.

Aside from the crappy pc ports from console, I see no reason to ever purchase a console.
Again, my opinion, but you just don't get the customization of a pc on a console.

I did it because you used to be able to count on a machine that works, games that are playable and are on par with everyone else, and it being far cheaper than the PC alternative.

But the developers started slacking leaving me less likely to buy their products, and now the console companies (aside from Nintendo) are seemingly interested in replicating the PC experience, right down to multiple iterations of systems within a console's generation.

I used to think Nintendo was incompetent with its hardware and its supported developers were lazy. I'm beginning to reevaluate that now.

I purchased an expensive PC, which allows me to play high-end games at ultra settings, but I am only going to do that so often.

I did it because you used to be able to count on a machine that works, games that are playable and are on par with everyone else, and it being far cheaper than the PC alternative.

But the developers started slacking leaving me less likely to buy their products, and now the console companies (aside from Nintendo) are seemingly interested in replicating the PC experience, right down to multiple iterations of systems within a console's generation.

I used to think Nintendo was incompetent with its hardware and its supported developers were lazy. I'm beginning to reevaluate that now.

I purchased an expensive PC, which allows me to play high-end games at ultra settings, but I am only going to do that so often.

I understand, I started as a consoler, way back in the atari/original nintendo days.
Even made it up to a PS2, but I love the ability to add mods, unrestricted.

Even Bethesda can't get it right with their Xbone modding and they're allowing (very slow to respond) piracy on their platform.

The early access steam games I've gotten, have just outclassed most of the AAA games of late, even with dated graphics.
Rimworlds, The Long Dark and Subnautica (now on xbone) are good examples.

Back
Top Bottom