• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NHL 2021-22

To clarify, I didn't mean that Bettman or the NHL actually "own" the Coyotes literally - I meant that Bettman, as the man who orchestrated the placing of an NHL team in Phoenix "owns" the fallout from that decision.

There was a time (09-13) when the NHL owned the Coyotes that's why I assumed you thought they still did.

Perhaps Houston might fly, but the other options you mention don't seem too viable - Atlanta has failed twice, bad ownership and fair weather fans - and I don't see anywhere near the population base in the other options to support an NHL team that would still rely heavily on attendance income. Part of the Coyotes' problems right now is that the current arena isn't located close to the population base, similar to Ottawa's problem.

Not being close to the population base hasn't been a problem for the Cardinals whose stadium is next door. It's easy to get to Westgate from all over the valley.

I hope they stay and I hope they put a deal together with Tempe and ASU.

There was a time (09-13) when the NHL owned the Coyotes that's why I assumed you thought they still did.

Not being close to the population base hasn't been a problem for the Cardinals whose stadium is next door. It's easy to get to Westgate from all over the valley.

I hope they stay and I hope they put a deal together with Tempe and ASU.
What's Phx Metro area, 5 Million? 6, maybe, if we add Tucson.

In a city filled with mostly transplants and a lot of immigrants from places that never see ice, hockey, at best, has a 2.5% sports fan base So, we have maybe 125,000 potential Coyote fans in the area.

That's kind of tight considering there is not much else nearby for hundreds of miles. What's the next big city--San Diego? The few hockey fans there will be Kings fans. I doubt any will be buying the cable package to broadcast Phx games.

What's Phx Metro area, 5 Million? 6, maybe, if we add Tucson.

4 1/2 to 5 depending on the time of year.

In a city filled with mostly transplants and a lot of immigrants from places that never see ice, hockey, at best, has a 2.5% sports fan base So, we have maybe 125,000 potential Coyote fans in the area.

That's kind of tight considering there is not much else nearby for hundreds of miles. What's the next big city--San Diego? The few hockey fans there will be Kings fans. I doubt any will be buying the cable package to broadcast Phx games.

They don't sell out now but I think that's more a result of being a shitty team for so long.

Here's a story for you. Two years ago there was an overtime game and the team owners wanted to buy pizza's for the staff. The teams credit card was declined.

4 1/2 to 5 depending on the time of year.
I worked there through spring training one year. Holy crap, did that draw a crowd. We had trouble finding cars to rent for several weeks during that time frame.
They don't sell out now but I think that's more a result of being a shitty team for so long.
Suns had a hoping crowd last year. So, yeah. Winning pulls them in. Plus, even when the D-Backs suck, they draw a crowd, mostly because the demographic favors the baisbal. I don't see hockey developing similar loyalties.

Here's a story for you. Two years ago there was an overtime game and the team owners wanted to buy pizza's for the staff. The teams credit card was declined.
lol...now that is sad.

As I predicted at the end of last year, the fraudulent Montreal Canadiens will go from Stanley Cup finalists to out of the playoffs this year. Their run last year defied all logic and they're back where they should be now, last in the division, winless and pointless. Looks good on them.

Atlantic Division

Florida 10 pts
Buffalo 7
Detroit 7
Boston 6
Tampa Bay 5
Toronto 5
Ottawa 4
Montreal 2

They say that you cannot win the cup in October, but you can lose it. Several teams expected to contend look like they are out to lose it in October.

Chicago went all in on winning now, bringing in Seth Jones(and extending him to 2030 at 9.5mil AAV) and Fleury...and have yet to win a game.

Colorado, one of the favorites to win it all this year, losing record.

Vegas, with a single win.

Tampa, the defending champs, have a loosing record and have not looked good.

And even worse than Tampa, Toronto continues to suck, hard, with 5 points in 7 games, a -10 goal differential, and behind the lowly Sabres and Wings.

And Montreal, with only 1 win in 6 games, though in their defense, no one really expected them to match last season.

Edit: The Chicago one, while it makes me smile(much like the Toronto one), is the most bizarre, messed up for the teams future one. Two players making north of 10 mil, Jones with his 8 years of 9.5mil kicking in next year, Dabrinket making north of 5, and zero cap space left, no first rounder for next year(Columbus has to be smiling right now). If you go all in, you got to at least make a credible effort, and I got to watch them last night against the Wings, and nothing was credible about that effort.

Last edited:
Is there any team, any group of players, in the NHL that is less likeable than the Toronto Maple Leafs? At this point, I hope they completely crash out so that the Shanahan/Dubois experiment in stupidity can come to an end. Things were going along fairly well until Shanahan decided that Lou Lamoriello wasn't a good GM going forward and the no experience idiot that is Dubois would be a better choice. It's gone completely downhill since. LL would never have signed Nylander and Marner to largely over priced contracts - he would have let them sit - and as a result, the Leafs wouldn't be in a cap bind.

Anyway - good luck to your team if you're anything but a Leafs fan. I won't be back until Leafs' management is gutted.

Toronto has found a solution to their problem! Play Chicago!

Nice scheduling spot for Vancouver with the Flyers coming off the ‘upset’ last night at Edmonton on NHLN. Tough Metro all over 0.500 and 7 of top 16.

Quenneville Resigns
Quitting a 7-0 team is a huge statement.

His statement:

With deep regret and contrition, I announce my resignation as head coach of the Florida Panthers.
I want to express my sorrow for the pain this young man, Kyle Beach, has suffered.
My former team the Blackhawks failed Kyle and I own my share of that.
I want to reflect on how all of this happened and take the time to educate myself on ensuring hockey spaces are safe for everyone.

I have never been a Quenneville fan(I think he is incredibly overrated), but his statement was appropriate for the situation. He screwed up when the incident occurred, but he does get some credit for owning it now. Zero excuse made, which is the right thing. I linked to the report in the thread on it, and it is pretty damning.

His statement:

I have never been a Quenneville fan(I think he is incredibly overrated), but his statement was appropriate for the situation. He screwed up when the incident occurred, but he does get some credit for owning it now. Zero excuse made, which is the right thing. I linked to the report in the thread on it, and it is pretty damning.
This is damning.

According to recollections from former Blackhawks general manager Stan Bowman in the investigation report, Quenneville, after learning of the Aldrich allegations, "shook his head and said that it was hard for the team to get to where they were [the playoffs] and they could not deal with this issue now."

Eichel to Vegas, for two young, good players and 2 draft picks, including a first rounder. Buffalo now has 3 1st round picks this coming summer.

Ten games tonight, highlighted by Carolina and Tampa Bay and the Blues/Jets. Central being discussed as having 5 playoff teams.

Senators’ season paused due to Covid-19 outbreak. Wonders how overall society would be affected with the same testing regimen.

Watch Barkov's knew on this. I hurt just from watching it.

My Yotes have 5 points in the last 3 games. Cup here we come!

Back
Top Bottom