• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NHL 2021-22

So when is the first fight between Reaves and Martin? Be interesting if Chara is on the ice.

Fights are always good, and there are never enough anymore. Ryan is a tough old bird. Martin gets away with too much hitting. Time for him to get clobbered.

I don't get the NHL network anymore and I am not going to pay extra. I still get the 3 metro teams plus whatever is on ESPN or other networks. Enjoy!

we have to purchase the hockey package here in NH or else we are stuck watching the Bruins, and I'd rather chew my left eyeball out than do that.

Fights are always good, and there are never enough anymore. Ryan is a tough old bird. Martin gets away with too much hitting. Time for him to get clobbered.
We will see. Martin is pretty clean, not like Tom Wilson. They also have Johnston to take on Reaves. More than a goon did you see his goal swiping the puck out of mid air on the cross ice pass? Very cool.

we have to purchase the hockey package here in NH or else we are stuck watching the Bruins, and I'd rather chew my left eyeball out than do that.
I obviously love watching the Isles but I also watch the Devils and against the Rags. Lol 😆 🤣

HAHAHA the Devils. I think they are going to suck even worse than usual this year, and that's saying a lot.
Really? They signed Dougie Hamilton and have quite a few high draft picks playing. Not sure about Blackwood in goal but they are supposed to be OK.

Red Wings kids are looking real good tonight. Of course, playing Buffalo kinda helps...

Red Wings kids are looking real good tonight. Of course, playing Buffalo kinda helps...
Who decided the divisions? 3 Canadian and 2 Florida in same division makes no sense.

This is too cool not to share. Some old photos of Gordie Howe from 1945 have been found when Howe, aged 16, was playing for the Galt Red Wings junior club.

Melrose, Messier, Chelios…I at least like the broadcast team. Now they need to stop talking about NHL on ESPN and talk about hockey.

Vegas does it right!

My Yotes looked in the preseason going 5-1 which means 20 wins tops in the regular season.

Break up the Kraken. Got their first win tonight in Nahville.

Sad

Break up the Kraken. Got their first win tonight in Nahville.
And a 6-1 loss to the Flyers not so great - but having them in the league is great - hope the community supports them through the bad as well as the good - enjoy.

My Yotes looked in the preseason going 5-1 which means 20 wins tops in the regular season.
Lot of discussion here in Toronto about whether or not the Coyotes will still be in Arizona in three years when Auston Matthews contract with the Leafs expires. If still there, the Coyotes will be serious competition for the Leafs in signing Matthews to a new contract. If not still there, Leafs are confident of resigning him.

Lot of discussion here in Toronto about whether or not the Coyotes will still be in Arizona in three years when Auston Matthews contract with the Leafs expires. If still there, the Coyotes will be serious competition for the Leafs in signing Matthews to a new contract. If not still there, Leafs are confident of resigning him.
I get that a lot of Chicago people moved to Phx metro...but, sticking a hockey team in the desert never made sense. It does in Vegas, though, but Vegas is a weird place.

I get that a lot of Chicago people moved to Phx metro...but, sticking a hockey team in the desert never made sense. It does in Vegas, though, but Vegas is a weird place.
Gary Bettman has/had a belief that the NHL would play well in all of the US's major TV markets, that's why teams were placed in Atlanta and Phoenix regardless of the community's desire for such a franchise. Las Vegas was a market starved for professional sports and the NHL simply jumped to the front of the line to beat the NFL - as the only game in town, it was a great success - it was also successful because people from all over North America vacation in the winter months in Las Vegas - but, primarily, it is successful among the over 2million people who live there year round. Seattle, likewise, following the Super Sonics skipping town, were starved for a replacement and with natural rivals in California and BC, it should be a success. Arizona and Atlanta lacked those factors and thus failed - Bettman just refuses to let Arizona die as it should.

First I hear of that. Interesting take. Mostly what I hear out of Toronto is injuries + salary cap, and the news is not good. Nick Robertson 10 weeks.

Also, what the **** is up with the head butting this year. A week into the season and two incidents already?

And sadly, the crackdown on cross checking seems to have ended already.

There's serious talk here if the Coyotes will be here next year. This is their last season in their current arena and I haven't heard what they're doing next.

There's serious talk here if the Coyotes will be here next year. This is their last season in their current arena and I haven't heard what they're doing next.
I never underestimate the stubbornness of Gary Bettman and his inability to admit a mistake. Bettman owns the Coyotes and he's loathe to allow a move, but it may be forced on him by political powers in Arizona.

I would note that it seems the NHL team in Phoenix has created a lot of interest in kids playing hockey, thus an Auston Matthews developing. The California teams were all in trouble at one point or another but it was the kids playing the game that grew interest in the sport at the NHL level. All the California teams are pretty solid now - but they all have had pretty solid ownership too, unlike the Coyotes.

I never underestimate the stubbornness of Gary Bettman and his inability to admit a mistake. Bettman owns the Coyotes and he's loathe to allow a move, but it may be forced on him by political powers in Arizona.

I would note that it seems the NHL team in Phoenix has created a lot of interest in kids playing hockey, thus an Auston Matthews developing. The California teams were all in trouble at one point or another but it was the kids playing the game that grew interest in the sport at the NHL level. All the California teams are pretty solid now - but they all have had pretty solid ownership too, unlike the Coyotes.
Actually, the Coyotes are owned by Alex Meruelo and Andrew Barroway.
Landing spots that have been mentioned if the Coyotes leave are Atlanta and Houston.
If they stay there's a couple of options for them. One is in Tempe with a joint arena with Arizona St who have a D1 team and a club team. The other option is the North East valley on the Indian reservation next to Salt River Field where the Diamondbacks play spring ball.

Well, it is about that time, with training camps and prospect tournaments in just a couple weeks.

Can Tampa 3peat? How will Seattle do? How dramatically does Toronto disappoint their fans? Will this be the year Pittsburgh or Boston miss the playoffs and have to start a rebuild? Where will Eichel play this year?

Go Islanders! Man, one goal away from winnign the cup (Isles would have beat Montreal if they got past Tampa)
I am watching Toronto/Montreal right now. Leafs look absolutely terrible, so I am enjoying it.

Love watching Tavares and the Leafs get bounced so early while the team he abandoned goes deep in playoffs. I don't mind that he left, but he F'd the Islanders by saying he wouldn't then leaving them with their Ds in their hands

Last edited:

too much hitting, in hockey? LOL Bring on the wimps that can't take a hit

Actually, the Coyotes are owned by Alex Meruelo and Andrew Barroway.
Landing spots that have been mentioned if the Coyotes leave are Atlanta and Houston.
If they stay there's a couple of options for them. One is in Tempe with a joint arena with Arizona St who have a D1 team and a club team. The other option is the North East valley on the Indian reservation next to Salt River Field where the Diamondbacks play spring ball.
To clarify, I didn't mean that Bettman or the NHL actually "own" the Coyotes literally - I meant that Bettman, as the man who orchestrated the placing of an NHL team in Phoenix "owns" the fallout from that decision.

Perhaps Houston might fly, but the other options you mention don't seem too viable - Atlanta has failed twice, bad ownership and fair weather fans - and I don't see anywhere near the population base in the other options to support an NHL team that would still rely heavily on attendance income. Part of the Coyotes' problems right now is that the current arena isn't located close to the population base, similar to Ottawa's problem.

Back
Top Bottom