• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Need new headphones

Cardinal

Respected On All Sides
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The wife is now working remotely because of delta and it doesn’t look like that’s going to end anytime soon. This means that I can no longer paint to my regular speakers, which I typically play quite loud. My old Sennheiser RS 180’s sound beautiful, but their bass is...lacking. So I’m looking for an upgrade. I want beautiful, clear, loud, bassy (but not boomy) and I want wireless and over the ear. What’s out there? I haven’t been over-the-ear headphone hunting in nearly a decade. I don’t need ANC or mic. My max budget is ~$350.

The wife is now working remotely because of delta and it doesn’t look like that’s going to end anytime soon. This means that I can no longer paint to my regular speakers, which I typically play quite loud. My old Sennheiser RS 180’s sound beautiful, but their bass is...lacking. So I’m looking for an upgrade. I want beautiful, clear, loud, bassy (but not boomy) and I want wireless and over the ear. What’s out there? I haven’t been over-the-ear headphone hunting in nearly a decade. I don’t need ANC or mic. My max budget is ~$350.
Do you need noise cancelling?? If so, Bose Quiet Comfort 35 Wireless seem to fit your bill. Thanks!!

Do you need noise cancelling?? If so, Bose Quiet Comfort 35 Wireless seem to fit your bill. Thanks!!
No, I don’t need noise canceling. The wife is several rooms away, so the switch from regular speakers to headphones is sufficient in and of itself.

I also don’t care about style. Nobody will see how stupid I look in my ugly but beautiful sounding headphones. I’m all about function.

I also don’t care about style. Nobody will see how stupid I look in my ugly but beautiful sounding headphones. I’m all about function.
Well, my suggestion for what it's worth - since everybody is different - is to order a bunch of different ones from Amazon. Make sure you're a prime member first. The reason why is my personal taste may be quite different from yours. My preferred music is jazz at least while I'm working, and that means I like a lot of instrumental clarity. A good bet all around?? Check out Pioneer. https://pioneer-headphones.com/ Thanks!!

look at these as a low cost prospect ... found the recommendation on a gear site i frequent

@Chomsky is our own resident audiophile, let's get his thoughts

Oh, and If you're not used to headphones, comfort may be another issue. Again, my advice would be to order several to try. Thanks!!

look at these as a low cost prospect ... found the recommendation on a gear site i frequent

I look forward to what he has to say. The closest I ever came to audiophile headphones were the Sennheiser hd580. The mids and highs were gorgeous but there was essentially zero bass. Also, the cord is problematic.

Just under
Took me a minute to get used to the controls, great customer service, btw, but they work just great. Recharge time is actually less than mentioned. You don't need it, but the noise cancellation is great.
I used them to watch TV and not disturb my husband, make phone calls....they work great.

I bought Cowin SE7's almost 2 years ago. About 18 months in they stopped holding a charge. I chatted with someone on their website, gave them my Amazon order number and they sent me a new pair in less than a week. It is was the probably the shock of my retail life. They made a customer for life.

I bought Cowin SE7's almost 2 years ago. About 18 months in they stopped holding a charge. I chatted with someone on their website, gave them my Amazon order number and they sent me a new pair in less than a week. It is was the probably the shock of my retail life. They made a customer for life.
That doesn’t appear to be on Amazon.

I like my Bose noise cancelation phones. They are better than any speakers, by far.

I've been using Sony MDR 7506 studio monitors for 30 years, and Sony MDR V6 fo even longer Probably the best overall pro headphones you can buy for under 100 bucks.

I have them. Low cost.. Good battery life... Cardinal they're Worth a look...

Just under
Took me a minute to get used to the controls, great customer service, btw, but they work just great. Recharge time is actually less than mentioned. You don't need it, but the noise cancellation is great.
I used them to watch TV and not disturb my husband, make phone calls....they work great.
After doing the research, I found that the main players in this price class are the Sony WH1000XM4, Bowers & Wilkins PX7, Sennheiser Momentum 3, and the Bose NC 700.

The Sennheiser is reported to have frustratingly little play time, which would be a problem for me because I'd need a bare minimum of 8 hours, and the Bose is outside my spending comfort zone. Between the Sony and the B&W, the latter has the better build quality, but Sony has better sound and comfort.

Finally, the Sony's were a whopping $72 off if I ordered them from Walmart, which I did, so that seems to settle that.

I still want to know what @Chomsky says, though.

After doing the research, I found that the main players in this price class are the Sony WH1000XM4, Bowers & Wilkins PX7, Sennheiser Momentum 3, and the Bose NC 700.

The Sennheiser is reported to have frustratingly little play time, which would be a problem for me because I'd need a bare minimum of 8 hours, and the Bose is outside my spending comfort zone. Between the Sony and the B&W, the latter has the better build quality, but Sony has better sound and comfort.

Finally, the Sony's were a whopping $72 off if I ordered them from Walmart, which I did, so that seems to settle that.

I've had them for a few years now and the battery charge still holds up just fine. A quick click will tell you the percentage left. I never bothered paying close attention to run time, but 8 hrs seems right. I make overseas phonecalls and never had sound quality issue. A word to the wise. If you are easily startled, be aware. I jumped several times watching tv. Good luck

I've had them for a few years now and the battery charge still holds up just fine. A quick click will tell you the percentage left. I never bothered paying close attention to run time, but 8 hrs seems right. I make overseas phonecalls and never had sound quality issue. A word to the wise. If you are easily startled, be aware. I jumped several times watching tv. Good luck
You don't strike me as a bass-head, but to what extent would you say there's good bass?

Sounds like you may be serious about your music. If so you don't want noise canceling or Bluetooth for the obvious reasons. The Sennheiser HD 600 ($399) would be in your range but my recommendation is to save up and get something like the HE-500 from Hi-Fi Man ($599). This would not give you the base you want but the refined sound would be well worth it.

If you like loud music, my choice would be the Grado, GS1000e ($995) This is not a bass engineered headphone either but I find when people get better sound they realize the bass being overwhelming is not preferable.

If you are set on bass, go with Beats. I do not own these but I do know that they are designed to artificially accentuate the bass on your music. (this is why I say away, I what to hear what the artist wants me to hear) Beats Pro ($399) is well reviewed if this is the direction you want to go.

Like you, I seldom use headphones, I really prefer the sound from a good set of speakers but I keep several around, it's a hobby! lol So the ones I mentioned I know from using, unless noted.

Peace

Sounds like you may be serious about your music. If so you don't want noise canceling or Bluetooth for the obvious reasons. The Sennheiser HD 600 ($399) would be in your range but my recommendation is to save up and get something like the HE-500 from Hi-Fi Man ($599). This would not give you the base you want but the refined sound would be well worth it.

If you like loud music, my choice would be the Grado, GS1000e ($995) This is not a bass engineered headphone either but I find when people get better sound they realize the bass being overwhelming is not preferable.

If you are set on bass, go with Beats. I do not own these but I do know that they are designed to artificially accentuate the bass on your music. (this is why I say away, I what to hear what the artist wants me to hear) Beats Pro ($399) is well reviewed if this is the direction you want to go.

Like you, I seldom use headphones, I really prefer the sound from a good set of speakers but I keep several around, it's a hobby! lol So the ones I mentioned I know from using, unless noted.

Peace
I have to have wireless, unfortunately, which means I'm necessarily sacrificing audiophile-grade sound. I wish I could get a simple pair of headphones without mic or ANC, but these days if you're getting wireless, they're going to install a mic and ANC whether you like it or not.

If the Sony headphones don't work out, I'll see about getting corded headphones that I plug into a bluetooth receiver. I've generally had bad luck with those, but maybe they've advanced in the last few years.

I have to be careful about dumping too much money into headphones. My wife isn't going to be working remotely forever.

Have you purchased them yet? If not I'd like to recommend the Bowers & Wilkins PX7.

Why? Pure bias. ;)

But I am serious. I always prefer an audio company over an electronics company. Peace!

What is your principle genre of interest? I am guess not classical with you want of bass.

I've never been disappointed by Bose, though I haven't gotten their over-ear noise-canceling phones.

The ear buds are damn good, but it's not quite the experience you're looking for.

Have you purchased them yet? If not I'd like to recommend the Bowers & Wilkins PX7.

Why? Pure bias. ;)

But I am serious. I always prefer an audio company over an electronics company. Peace!

What is your principle genre of interest? I am guess not classical with you want of bass.
Correct. I'm into electronica. The comparisons between the BW's and the Sony's were all over the place. Everybody had a different opinion. The few small nuggets of consistency were that the Sony's frequency response was smoother and the headphones were more comfortable. But it wasn't an easy choice.

Yes, I ordered them already, but it's Walmart. I'm not concerned about them not taking back the headphones if I don't like them.

Correct. I'm into electronica. The comparisons between the BW's and the Sony's were all over the place. Everybody had a different opinion. The few small nuggets of consistency were that the Sony's frequency response was smoother and the headphones were more comfortable. But it wasn't an easy choice.

Yes, I ordered them already, but it's Walmart. I'm not concerned about them not taking back the headphones if I don't like them.

They will be great, you will love them!

I am wildly eclectic in my listening. Just yesterday I put together a five hour play list of popular songs based in the 1930's.
Not being familiar with electronica, what can you recommend?

I firmly believe that there is good music and there is great music but there is no bad music. :)

Enjoy the new headphones, I am excited for you!

Back
Top Bottom