• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

NC Sheriff new security measures - locking up AR's inside school for officers

if we're gonna have to arm our schools (due to all the school shootings) then the guns need to be quickly accessible to stop the shooter. otherwise what good are they?

now, am i for arming our schools? of course not.

do i see a way to stop school shootings? of course not.
Yuck. Give kids guns. Your opinions are wild dude.

When schools in one North Carolina county reopen later this month, new security measures will include stocking AR-15 rifles for school resource officers to use in the event of an active shooter.

Sheriff Harwood said the safes where the AR-15s will be kept will also hold ammunition and breaching tools for barricaded doors.

“We’ll have those tools to be able to breach that door if needed. I do not want to have to run back out to the car to grab an AR, because that’s time lost. Hopefully we’ll never need it, but I want my guys to be as prepared as prepared can be,” he said.

I like this idea. This is just another resource for an officer to get to if they find themselves inside the school as an incident occurs.

12 gauge shotguns should suffice. Overpenetration would not be nearly as much of a problem.

If we are going to have armed officers on school campuses armed to take on school shooters, I would prefer they don't use weapons which can penetrate walls and doors and kill students or teachers.

They don't want a single rifle locked in a safe because it takes far too long to get to ( they say). They have argued that handguns are better for schools. Where do you think they want guns kept? Obviously closer than a single safe accessible only to school resource officers. .. so where would that be? Hmm?
Yes "they say" as I say it could take to long given circumstances but the best is if the r.o. (not range officer lol) go's toward the fire. Given no r.o. then the best response is an armed teacher. And that place would be from where ever it was concealed on the person.

If we are going to have armed officers on school campuses armed to take on school shooters, I would prefer they don't use weapons which can penetrate walls and doors and kill students or teachers.
Right... for safety! 🤡

i guess when you skip part of my posts it's easy to post that kind of lie.
Placing the most deadly weapons, that are used most commonly in school shootings, in "readily available " places inside a school is insane. There are many other options available.

Yes "they say" as I say it could take to long given circumstances but the best is if the r.o. (not range officer lol) go's toward the fire. Given no r.o. then the best response is an armed teacher. And that place would be from where ever it was concealed on the person.
Yes, arm the teachers. You and @CaughtInThe agree. Seems silly when there is an s.r.o. on staff...

They also commonly carry shotguns and even rifles. They may even have AR-15s in the trunk of their squad car, but I suspect that if given a choice they would prefer a better rifle, like the Remington Model 700.

There shouldn't even be "school officers." There wasn't when I went to school. That is yet another form of leftist stupidity, like their stupid "gun free zones" advertisements. If teachers cannot handle children, they have no business being teachers. That is simply pathetic. Every "school officer" should be fired and their salary divided among the teachers. If they can't teach children discipline and create order in their own classroom, why would anyone consider them to be a teacher?

Who ever accused criminals of being intelligent? All they need to know is that there is an unguarded safe in schools that contains several hundred dollars worth of firearms. That is more than sufficient motive for some idiots to give it a try.
Keep in mind, this is not the bush; no officer is carrying a Rem 700 in the trunk unless they are a sniper for swat and it's definitely not the proper tool for inside a school. In my area, every officer I know has some sort of semi-auto rifle with most being AR style.

I don't believe it's the teacher, I believe it's the institution that is the issue. Government run schools have left a lot to be desired when it comes to doing their students justice.

Placing the most deadly weapons, that are used most commonly in school shootings, in "readily available " places inside a school is insane. There are many other options available.
in an active shooter event (which we have and a lot of countries don't due to the fact that we're swimming in guns) how much time does the "good guy with a gun" have to shoot the bad guy (with the guns that you want the good guys to have).

Right... for safety! 🤡

I do not think AR-15s are appropriate weapons for a school campus. Semi-automatic rifles meant to fire high velocity ammunition are too dangerous for crowded school settings. There is too high a possibility of innocent people being injured or killed from rounds shooting through walls and doors. If you disagree, please feel free to add something of substance. Or don't.

I do not think AR-15s are appropriate weapons for a school campus. Semi-automatic rifles meant to fire high velocity ammunition are too dangerous for crowded school settings. There is too high a possibility of innocent people being injured or killed from rounds shooting through walls and doors. If you disagree, please feel free to add something of substance. Or don't.
I disagree with arming teachers from the start. I disagree with weapons caches at schools from the start. I will compromise on it, if it's about #8 on the list, give or take.

if guns are going to be in schools (to protect children) then they need to be quickly accessible so that when the gunman starts shooting the "good guy with a gun" can cut the number of killed children down. if the "good guy with a gun" has to run to the office (or some room) to get guns then the gunman has already taken out entire class rooms.

btw, how long does it take you to shoot 30 times?
The school shooter I assume you mean. He could do it in say two minutes maybe less with a modicum of accuracy. Ten round magazines about the same give 5-6 seconds for reloads, but he's shooting fish in a barrel. Me one [1] shot and the shooter is done.

The school shooter I assume you mean. He could do it in say two minutes maybe less with a modicum of accuracy. Ten round magazines about the same give 5-6 seconds for reloads, but he's shooting fish in a barrel. Me one [1] shot and the shooter is done.
and if you have to run and get locked up guns?

I disagree with arming teachers from the start. I disagree with weapons caches at schools from the start. I will compromise on it, if it's about #8 on the list, give or take.

Well, that is reasonable. I do not think it should be expected that teachers be armed. Only the campus police/school resource officer should be armed. And I do not like the idea of a static arsenal on a school campus. Guns should arrive on campus and leave campus with the resource officers.

Maybe, in a scenario where everything lines up for you. Including not getting shot by the killer, having a clear shot and being undisturbed, NOT being shot by the cops, etc. So you're just describing an LEO sniper, really. And we already do that.

Here's the rub. If the school officer is is aware of shooting or sees a possible event about to unfold what does he do does he head toward it or to some gun safe on the other side of the school? I'd like to think they would head toward the gunfire or what looked to become gunfire readying their sidearm.
That comes down to each individual. Not all are built equally and some will not take immediate, aggressive action as we saw in TX. You can train to the cows come home but you won't know for sure until you're in it. I think the safe on campus is just another resource that will require training and preplanning. Whether or not it's a difference maker is the real question but having it staged there provides more options for responders in my eyes.

wHy?,?!why?,?!?

aR 15s are No more dEAdlY oR useful for putTiNG hOLeS iN hUmAnS tHaN aNY oTHeR gUn
Google wasn't able to translate that but I think you're saying AR15s are just like any other gun? The value of the AR platform is that it can be setup specifically for a given situation - such as the inside of a school. This provides the user with a powerful round in a customizable package. Very useful.

12 gauge shotguns should suffice. Overpenetration would not be nearly as much of a problem.
12ga is great in close quarters but I imagine storming a classroom there would be a higher chance for collateral damage using buckshot that would override the potential for over penetration.

Yuck. Give kids guns. Your opinions are wild dude.
No your replies are wild where did CaughtInThe say he wanted to arm kids? Here I'll refresh things.
CaughtInThe said:
if we're gonna have to arm our schools (due to all the school shootings) then the guns need to be quickly accessible to stop the shooter. otherwise what good are they?

now, am i for arming our schools? of course not.

do i see a way to stop school shootings? of course not.

in an active shooter event (which we have and a lot of countries don't due to the fact that we're swimming in guns) how much time does the "good guy with a gun" have to shoot the bad guy (with the guns that you want the good guys to have).
Hey, your "good guy with the gun" rambo myth doesn't seem to be working
Sorry. Placing more guns in schools, as readily available for whomever to use, is not a good solution. Let's keep guns locked up, and handguns out of schools where kids can get them.

Back
Top Bottom