• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Mount Rushmore

At some point majority of the land was stolen.

Look no further than lands in North Europe.
It’s almost certainly true that the Lakota were not the first humans to occupy the Mt. Rushmore area. Humans have been stealing land from other humans throughout history.

It’s almost certainly true that the Lakota were not the first humans to occupy the Mt. Rushmore area. Humans have been stealing land from other humans throughout history.
Kinda wish Yugosavia took our land Kosovo. We would of been better under them than we are indipidentely.

Is that to say there is some US property that the Europeans legitimately acquired, without deceit or false promises, and every pale face should squeeze in to it? It's really all or nothing, depending upon whether one thinks the past can be undone or not. If we're going to undo history, let's also demand that the Catholic church pay reparations to their many historical victims. And the remaining European estates of the various monarchies should compensate the ancestors of the victims of feudalism. There's been so much taking of shit throughout history, a massive, worldwide redistribution is the only answer, I suppose.

Or, maybe the answer is not to be backward looking at all, and cease yelling insults at the skeletons of slavers and demanding we honor a long dead injustice while many contemporary ones exist. Certainly there are sufficient moral battles to be fought in the present.

Giving the land back to the natives is yet another naive, liberal fantasy that some actually believe in, but do so as silly, moralizing self-deceptions. Progress is what we should concern ourselves with. We can never make the past right because it's already wrong. We can, however, make the future right, provided we don't squander the opportunity for progress by wasting our time trying to recreate a perfect world that never existed.

Giving the land back is impossible and the very idea is laughable.

Giving back land is not universally impossible. We most definitely have receipts in the form of treaties for a significant amount of land.

So it seems

Kennedy, FDR, and Eisenhower are the natural next picks

Those all work for me

Mount Rushmore features the heads of four Presidents:
George Washington (1732–1799), Thomas Jefferson (1743–1826), Theodore Roosevelt (1858–1919) and Abraham Lincoln (1809–1865)
View attachment 67345330

So let's pretend, that it has been decided to another another head to the mountain, and you are sent a survey to ask you which former President you would like to see added to Mount Rushmore, which one would you pick?
First, I think no one should be added. Second, if one was to be added, I think it would have to be FDR. He guided us through the Great Depression and then WWII.

My first choice is no one, that I want to make clear.

On another note, Mount Rushmore is probably the must underwhelming monument I can remember seeing. Crazy Horse is 100x cooler and it’s not even remotely finished.

The only thing I found impressive about Rushmore was how they make it seem so much more majestic than it really is.

People who had their land stolen from them by the Spanish. Is the US responsible for the actions of the Spanish Empire?
So you are ok with receiving stolen goods?

So you are ok with receiving stolen goods?

They passed through so many hands at this point it’s moot: Pre-Apachean Natives, Apaches after they were pushed onto the land by the Spanish, Spanish, Mexican, Texan, US, Confederate, US.

Mount Rushmore features the heads of four Presidents:
George Washington (1732–1799), Thomas Jefferson (1743–1826), Theodore Roosevelt (1858–1919) and Abraham Lincoln (1809–1865)
View attachment 67345330

So let's pretend, that it has been decided to another another head to the mountain, and you are sent a survey to ask you which former President you would like to see added to Mount Rushmore, which one would you pick?

Kind of a hard question to answer since BLM, democrats, et al, wants the place destroyed based on the past history of those currently on it (except perhaps Teddy).

Other than that, there is no doubt in my mind who should be the 5th - President Donald J. Trump

It’s amazing how the Right hates the Federal government taking people’s property unless those people are non-white.
Where the hell did you get that one from? The left is just the same. All those presidents during the 1800s that violated land treaties were not all republicans (or whatever party name conservatives went by then) as many were democrats.

US Courts have ruled now for two centuries that these land cases starting with the Spanish Land Grants are moot due to statute of limitations.

Who owned the land before the Indians or are you going to tell me that they were the very first inhabitants of current USA lands. If so, what proof is there?

Kind of a hard question to answer since BLM, democrats, et al, wants the place destroyed based on the past history of those currently on it (except perhaps Teddy).

Other than that, there is no doubt in my mind who should be the 5th - President Donald J. Trump
One and Done?
rolling-on-the-floor-laughing_1f923.png

On another note, Mount Rushmore is probably the must underwhelming monument I can remember seeing. Crazy Horse is 100x cooler and it’s not even remotely finished.

The only thing I found impressive about Rushmore was how they make it seem so much more majestic than it really is.
I experienced that "seem so much more majestic than it really is" the one and only time I took my kid to Disney World.

Other than that, there is no doubt in my mind who should be the 5th - President Donald J. T****

It was hard to believe that people thought he was a good choice and that he became president. When you look into Interstate Crosscheck you see how he became president. But now? To still think he was a good president?

Didnt FDR fail during the Great Depression. It took WWII to get out of it. Im reconsidering changing my position

Ronald Reagan should be on Mt Rushmore. Reagan would have also continued to be elected if he could have run. Reagan was a stud, and his results back it up.

Ronald Reagan should be on Mt Rushmore. Reagan would have also continued to be elected if he could have run. Reagan was a stud, and his results back it up.

Like his tripling of the national debt?

The Honorable Barack Obama.

Regardless of what one may think about his policies, the election of President Obama was a watershed in American history.

Things have never been the same since.
what’s laughable is anybody picking Obama over Reagan. It’s not even close.

what’s laughable is anybody picking Obama over Reagan. It’s not even close.
you are right about that, Reagan isn't in the same league as Obama.

President Comacho.

"Shit. I know shit's bad right now, with all that starving bullshit, and the dust storms, and we running out of french fries and burrito covers. But I got a solution."

Rushmore Camacho.png

Easy, cowboy. Don't hurt yourself.

It was hard to believe that people thought he was a good choice and that he became president. When you look into Interstate Crosscheck you see how he became president. But now? To still think he was a good president?

Well, I and at least 74 million other Americans absolutely believe that Trump was a great president and deserved four more years, which is still up in the air.

Biden only got 7 million more popular votes, 5 million of which were cast in blue California. The balance of 2 million is a pretty slim margin (2.47%).

Why do you think that Trump was not a good president?

The democrats were always calling for more and more investigations, but I have no idea why.

Do you absolutely hate Trump like other democrats seem to - and very much so.

Did you know very much about Trump before the campaign or 2016 election?

I live between Trump's two corporate HQ - New York and Atlantic City, NJ, so our newspapers and TV news always had stories about Trump as well as interviews with him. So I knew a lot about Trump and was thrilled when he announced. Trump has made his views very clear for many years - and he did not deviate from them really at all.

Trump, like millions of other businessmen, had good times and bad times in business dealings. Also like many others, Trump tried out many different businesses and failed more than he succeeded. Nothing new about that.

I certainly hope that Trump runs in 2024. After just 6.5 months, Biden seems to be completely puzzled as to why everything is not going well/doing better - especially after he got rid of so many things Trump. That is the reason, in my opinion - Trump did many things that worked and were working, until Biden came in and reversed so much, so fast.

I think that dismal failed Town Hall broadcast on CNN, but watched by almost no one, showed many democrats what a huge mistake they made. Biden can't even form complete sentences without assistance. They called Trump a dictator - but now it is Biden that is dictating to the American people that they better do what he wants or lose their [federal] job. Now Biden is trying to sign up private employers to do the same, just like a dictator would. Trump never did shit like this.

Back
Top Bottom