• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Millionaire Surtax - Democrats Cave

FFDP666

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Even if you disagree with the idea of the tax, you have to admit, that with public support behind them, caving on this, seems very foolish to me.

Even if you disagree with the idea of the tax, you have to admit, that with public support behind them, caving on this, seems very foolish to me.

It's whatever, Democrats and caving would be synonymous if they weren't different parts of speech.

The Democrats caving and pussing out!? No way!

Just to show ya this soo called 2 parties that are supposedly "different" and have "different ideas" arent that much different after all. Both the same...

The Republicans made them an offer they couldn't refuse.

LOL!!!

The democrats need to grow some ****ing balls. I'm tired of them being ******s, we'd get so much **** done if the people with at least half decent ideas were't so ****ing spineless.

The funny part is that some actually believed them when they said they were for this tax.

the pathetic attempt at class warfare-buying the votes of the many by making the rich again subsidize everyone else's contributions to the ponzi scheme failed

what a bummer

the pathetic attempt at class warfare-buying the votes of the many by making the rich again subsidize everyone else's contributions to the ponzi scheme failed

what a bummer

Yep a 3% surtax is some pretty intense "class warfare". Must of been in a huge "class war" back in the 50's ehh TD?

They didn't cave, they didn't have the votes and they were going to look like idiots when they lost. What's funny is they still look like idiots.

3 percent increase in the top earners in this country, is now a scheme, to funnel money to lower income people, to get their votes...WHEN is it ok, to raise taxes, what would be the appropriate circumstance that it would make the hard right, agree to SUCH a small increase. i still don't get this ****. Dems control the executive, and the senate, and they can't get this done? they can't work out a deal?

So, without the millionaire's tax, that's what..$4 billion revenue that won't be going toward the deficit? Good job!

So, without the millionaire's tax, that's what..$4 billion revenue that won't be going toward the deficit? Good job!

but thats ok, we can just cut that from social security, or medicaid! BUT NOT THE MILITARY!!!

The unfortunate downside of being the "party in power" (but not powerful enough to overcome a filibuster) is you end up being the one conceding to get things done.

Step One: Force the majority party to cave on the most important provisions of the proposal (e.g., the part that makes it fiscally sound, public option, etc.) just to get something out.

Step Two: Complain that the program is poorly-drafted (e.g., it is not fiscally sound, it is unconstitutional because requires participation in a private benefits program).

Step Three: repeat until you win the next election.

I think, if Democrats were smart, they would stop caving, especially when the thing they are compromising has broad public support. Unfortunately, when there is gridlock, the public blames the party in power. But that's probably better than the public blaming them for both gridlock and idiotic legislation.

Last edited:
but thats ok, we can just cut that from social security, or medicaid! BUT NOT THE MILITARY!!!

On the other hand, we can cut Michelle's food program and save about $8 Billion.

They caved! That sucks!

Based on the fiasco of one year ago with the Bush tax cut extensions where they caved, plus the summer debt ceiling fiasco where the caved, why would you expect any different result this time from the same people?

Even with a whopping majority of Americans on the side of democrat ideals, the *****crats still cave in. WTF? Not a nutsack amongst the lot of them. They have the support of the people. And at one time they had enough power (house, senate and whitehouse) to do whatever they wanted to do. Obama's an idiot thinking it was best to compromise and extend olive branches. **** those GOP'ers. If America wanted the GOP bull****, they would have elected McCain.

Obama should be representing the majority. The majority who elected him. Stick it up the GOP's ass. That's what he was elected to do. So far, he's just been a big ol' ***** afraid to yeild the power that was given to him by the people. I bet next election, when the democrats get all those seats back, Obama will think twice before trying to be the nice guy. At least, I hope he does.

It wasn't going to go to the deficit anyway. History has proven that the federal government always overspends on revenues collected on frivolous crap, people should be happy that this surtax failed because that's less justification for more spending, not that it's gonna make a lick of difference considering both parties like to buy votes at the expense of fiscal security.

Even with a whopping majority of Americans on the side of democrat ideals, the *****crats still cave in. WTF? Not a nutsack amongst the lot of them. They have the support of the people. And at one time they had enough power (house, senate and whitehouse) to do whatever they wanted to do. Obama's an idiot thinking it was best to compromise and extend olive branches. **** those GOP'ers. If America wanted the GOP bull****, they would have elected McCain.

Obama should be representing the majority. The majority who elected him. Stick it up the GOP's ass. That's what he was elected to do. So far, he's just been a big ol' ***** afraid to yeild the power that was given to him by the people. I bet next election, when the democrats get all those seats back, Obama will think twice before trying to be the nice guy. At least, I hope he does.

I feel obliged to mention that if America wanted Democrats with balls, they wouldn't have taken away their majority in Congress back in 2010.

No, it's $4 billion of money the lib's can't spend on more waste and crony capitalism.

3 percent increase in the top earners in this country, is now a scheme, to funnel money to lower income people, to get their votes...WHEN is it ok, to raise taxes, what would be the appropriate circumstance that it would make the hard right, agree to SUCH a small increase. i still don't get this ****. Dems control the executive, and the senate, and they can't get this done? they can't work out a deal?
Yeah sure, what's another 3% after paying Federal/State/Local/Property/Sales/Investment/Business tax on everything you've worked for. Why not have to pay another "just because we haven't ****ed you hard enough" tax.

Yeah sure, what's another 3% after paying Federal/State/Local/Property/Sales/Investment/Business tax on everything you've worked for. Why not have to pay another "just because we haven't ****ed you hard enough" tax.

What is another 3 percent on someone who makes billions and billions of dollars? well, I can tell you, they certainly are not going to suddenly stop hiring people, and they are not ganna start suddenly firing people, and the are not ganna suddenly stop buying fancy stuff for themselves.

What is another 3 percent on someone who makes billions and billions of dollars? well, I can tell you, they certainly are not going to suddenly stop hiring people, and they are not ganna start suddenly firing people, and the are not ganna suddenly stop buying fancy stuff for themselves.
You don't know what that "extra" money is going to and neither does anyone else. Many of these "rich" people claim off of business profits so that "extra" 3% people want to lay claim to well may have been a potential or CURRENT employees salary. Even if it is profit they earned it, not Harry Reid, not Nancy Pelosi, Not Barack Obama, not me, not you, and not anyone else.

There is a point where people say "**** it" because they are working harder for less, many people who work independently on commission shut down to avoid breaking into the top bracket if they are going to just do so because they make less than they would have if they didn't go into it. I know this because a former colleague of mine made it an annual point to do so. Why in the hell should someone wake up at 4 a.m. to get to the office for 7a.m. to leave at 8p.m. or later for some ****head politician and class warfare bloc to take "just another 3%" After that guy has paid local/state/federal/sales/property/capital gains/"just because" taxes? Because it will make you feel better? Because YOU don't believe that they deserve it? Because some Washington idiot who can't run a business under their own ****ing regulations said it's a good idea?
None of those are acceptable answers BTW.

You don't know what that "extra" money is going to and neither does anyone else. Many of these "rich" people claim off of business profits so that "extra" 3% people want to lay claim to well may have been a potential or CURRENT employees salary. Even if it is profit they earned it, not Harry Reid, not Nancy Pelosi, Not Barack Obama, not me, not you, and not anyone else.

There is a point where people say "**** it" because they are working harder for less, many people who work independently on commission shut down to avoid breaking into the top bracket if they are going to just do so because they make less than they would have if they didn't go into it. I know this because a former colleague of mine made it an annual point to do so. Why in the hell should someone wake up at 4 a.m. to get to the office for 7a.m. to leave at 8p.m. or later for some ****head politician and class warfare bloc to take "just another 3%" After that guy has paid local/state/federal/sales/property/capital gains/"just because" taxes? Because it will make you feel better? Because YOU don't believe that they deserve it? Because some Washington idiot who can't run a business under their own ****ing regulations said it's a good idea?
None of those are acceptable answers BTW.

There are no facts to back up what you are saying, a small increase in taxes is going to have no effect on the jobs market. A small surtax on millionaires is supported by a huge amount of the American people 85 percent total, 66 percent of millionaires. Most of those rich know they have nothing left to spend that money on, when their taxes go up, their money habits do not change much at all, and if you think they do, you will need to bring up some proof of some kind to back that up. The idea that a tax increase will kill jobs is factless. someone posted either here or on another post a chart showing what the main concerns are for a business, and an increase in taxes is not high on the list.

Back
Top Bottom